So Now What? [If You Haven't Seen Endgame STAY OUT OF THIS THREAD]

Have a setting you like or a home brew you want to share? Do it here.
Davies

Nighthawk

Post by Davies »

Nighthawk

Not long after his father's death, eighteen year-old Kyle Richmond discovered that, despite his father's tales of associating with the Cowl, their family fortune had been built on extremely unethical and even criminal enterprises. Disgusted by this, Kyle embarked on a course of training to become a successor to the Cowl's legacy, emerging a decade later as one of the first of the new generation of superheroes, Nighthawk. He helped to found the Squadron, and served as the team's leader on several occasions.

The devastation of Abraxas' victory forced Kyle Richmond to radically re-evaluate his method of operations. It couldn't be enough to turn criminals over to what was left of law enforcement and hope that justice would be done. Instead, Nighthawk began taking criminals that he defeated as prisoners and allowing the public to believe that they'd been killed, when in fact they were taken to an island operated by Richmond Enterprises and subjected to radical rehabilitation. Education and therapy are offered to turn them into productive members of society, and when these methods work, the reformed criminals are given new identities and employment within the Richmond family businesses.

When they don't work ... the Behavior Modification Machine is used. Ironically devised by Minuteman as a device to undo psychic mind control, Nighthawk's scientists have reconstructed and modified it to eliminate criminal behavior in those subjects who demonstrate persistent anti-social behavior. In the five years that this program has been operating, there has not been a single case of any individual whose behavior has been modified reverting to criminal activities. Whether that will continue to be the case as more and more individuals are subjected to the program remains to be seen.

Nighthawk's closest relationship is with Agatha Buckminster, his nanny and primary caregiver after his mother's death when he was eight, who continued to work for the Richmond family as a personal assistant even after their only son grew up. She was his confidant when he began his career as a crimefighter, and the only person he completely trusts. Her disappearance in the vanishing may have pushed him into his current course of action, and she is still coming to grips with the implications of her return to life, to say nothing of what has become of the boy she loves as though he were her son.
Nighthawk -- PL 11

Abilities: STR
3 | STA 4 | AGL 4 | DEX 4 | FGT 8 | INT 6 | AWE 4 | PRE 4

Powers:
None.

Equipment:
Throwing Weapons (Strength-based Ranged Damage 1), Entangling Weapons (Ranged Cumulative Affliction 4 [Resisted by Dodge; Hindered and Vulnerable, Defenseless and Immobilized], Extra Condition, Limited Degree), Urban Headquarters (Size: H, TGH 10; Features: Communications, Computer, Concealed, Garage, Gym, Laboratory, Living Space, Power System, Security System, Workshop), Island Headquarters (Size H; TGH 10, Features: Communications, Computer, Dock, Grounds 2 (Colossal), Habitat, Hangar, Isolated, Laboratory, Living Space, Personnel, Power System, Security System (DC 25), Workshop), Supercar (Size H; STR 8; Speed 6 [ground]; DEF 8; TGH 10; Powers: Impervious Toughness 8, Features: Alarm 3 (DC 30), Caltrops, Hidden Compartments, Navigation System 2 (+10 bonus), Oil Slick, Remote Control)

Advantages:
Assessment, Benefit 5 (Billionaire), Close Attack 2, Connected, Contacts, Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 15, Evasion, Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Initiative, Instant Up, Inventor, Jack-of-all-Trades, Languages 3, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 12, Skill Mastery (Intimidation, Investigation, Stealth), Tracking, Uncanny Dodge, Well-Informed.

Skills:
Acrobatics 10 (+14), Athletics 12 (+15), Close Combat: Unarmed 8 (+16), Deception 10 (+14), Expertise: Streetwise 8 (+14), Insight 10 (+14), Intimidation 12 (+16), Investigation 12 (+16), Perception 10 (+14), Sleight of Hand 10 (+14), Stealth 12 (+16), Technology 12 (+16), Treatment 10 (+14), Vehicles 10 (+14).

Offense:
Initiative +8, Unarmed +18 (Close Damage 3), Thrown Weapon +16 (Ranged Damage 4 or Dodge 4).

Defense:
Dodge 14, Parry 15, Fortitude 8, Toughness 7/4, Will 12.

Total: Abilities 74 + Powers 0 + Advantages 57 + Skills 72 + Defenses 29 = 232 points

Complications:
Justice--Motivation. Friend (Agatha). Secretive and Enigmatic. Secret Identity. Untrusting.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Davies

The Rest of the World

Post by Davies »

The Rest of the World

Two-thirds of Earth's superheroes are based in North America, roughly half of that in the United States. But one-third of a lot is still kind of a lot. Here are some of those active in the rest of the world.

The United Kingdom: The most famous, or possibly notorious, hero of Britain is the Grail Knight, third of that name. His uncle was the first to wield the sword Arondight, defending the nation during the Pythonian Insurgency. His father then murdered him and took up the sword and name for himself, serving as an enforcer for the government and enriching himself in the process. After receiving fatal injuries during the events which led to the Squadron's formation, he begged his son to take up the name and bring honor to it ... which the current Grail Knight has tried to do by rehabilitating his image as a defender of the people. He was starting to make some progress when the vanishing happened and took him with it, and now he has to start all over again. [Black Knight + The Knight]

France: Even before the Institute, it was known that France was depended by a pair of superheroes, La Belle et La Bête -- who, despite their linked names, weren't always partners. Empowered respectively by beings who claim to be the spirits of Joan of Arc and that of the Count of Monte Cristo, they have been at odds with each other as often as they have worked together. Further complicating the matter is the fact that the two hosts who were active at the time of the vanishing both disappeared, causing their patrons to empower a different pair ... only to find themselves also empowering the original duo when they recently returned. Both sets of heroes now operate at lower power levels, and it's possible that a conflict between them may break out soon. [Hawk and Dove + Cloak and Dagger + Fate/Grand Order]

Czech Republic: Known to only a handful of individuals whom he's helped, and rather more that he's screwed over in some way, Tommy Elagabalus is apparently a witch of some talent, with a reputation for having more power than he actually possesses that he exploits as much as he can. Unbeknownst anyone but himself, he is actually Arcanna's twin brother, who faked his own death not long after she joined the Squadron so that his sister would have sole access to a source of magical power that they formerly shared. Under his current alias, he continues to strive to do good -- or at least pay evil unto evil -- throughout eastern Europe, through his talents in teleportation magic, but is based out of the haunted city of Prague. He was one of the vanished. [John Constantine + Quicksilver]

Russia: Russia has no superheroes. Reports to the contrary are Western disinformation. Russia has super-soldiers, the powered-armor troopers of the FSB's Corundum Brigade, who have been perfectly able to overcome any super-powered or extra-terrestrial threats to the nation. Reports to the contrary are Western disinformation. This policy is what prevented the Russian Federation from suffering the reversals endured by other nations during recent unfortunate events, as every suit used by the Brigade was left completely intact when their operators temporarily disappeared. Reports to the contrary are Western disinformation. No operator has taken advantage of confusing circumstances to flee the country with their suit. Reports to the contrary are Western disinformation. [Rocket Red Brigade + Soviet Super-Troopers]

Japan: Japan's primary supernatural protectors are a group of agents who allow themselves to be possessed by spiritual entities associated with heroic or monstrous figures of their country's folklore or history. Somewhat oddly, the leader of this group goes by the name of Megan Excalibur, and is a green-eyed blonde who claims to be from Wales. However, she apparently has an extremely strong relationship with the spirit of Senji Muramasa, the legendary swordsmith, who empowers her to summon virtually any imaginable weapon, all of which she uses with superhuman proficiency. Megan Excalibur was not one of the vanished, and worked with Nighthawk on one occasion during the interval. [Honey Lemon + Motoko Kusanagi + Artoria Pendragon + Aigis]
Voltron64

Re: So Now What? [If You Haven't Seen Endgame STAY OUT OF THIS THREAD]

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:04 pm I'm still waiting to see how I'm going to have to end Hieronymous King's presidency before I say anything else about them. But all plaudits are welcome.
Again, I like to throw in my own headcanon and say that former mayor-turned-senator Michael O’Connor won the 2016 election. Because damn it all, I would like to see some hopeful elements in this modern age supers setting.

Plus it turns out that Mrs. C. heavily enjoyed becoming the Democratic Cheney. ;)
Davies

Re: So Now What? [If You Haven't Seen Endgame STAY OUT OF THIS THREAD]

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:14 am Again, I like to throw in my own headcanon
Maybe you could make your own headcanon thread? Instead of using mine? Please?

More of the Rest of the World:

Australia:
Sydney is home to the Discovery Company, a quintet of adventuring scientists who famously handled various unusual phenomena without superpowers. Unfortunately, all of them vanished, leaving their super-technology unguarded -- until the other well-known Australian superhero, the arachnid-powered Recluse, took charge, protecting it from various thieves, most notably Master Menace (q.v.), but also employing a number of the Company's most powerful weapons in the process. It's not clear what will happen now that the Discovery Company has returned. [The Fantastic Four + Challengers of the Unknown; Superior Spider-man + Manhunter]

Korea: The entire ruling family of North Korea were vanished, decapitating the state and leaving it helpless to resist an attack from the South. Philanthropist Gang In-Geun did a great deal to integrate the two divided nations, and found himself rewarded for his efforts with the Presidency of the newly united state ... at which point he suspended the constitution and became a dictator worse than either nation had ever known, referred to as the Hwanje, or Emperor. The fate of the recently returned North Korean rulers is not pleasant to consider, however much it might have been deserved. [The Mandarin + Ra's al-Ghul]

Kenya: In the late 19th century, the Tsavo region was haunted by a pair of man-eating lions, whom some believed to be incarnate spirits of slaughter. This does not appear to have been the case, and the number of deaths seems to have been greatly exaggerated, but the mystique of the lions is employed by the Ghost Hunter, a Kenyan crimefighter mostly active in Nairobi and Mombasa, who encourages the belief that he is channeling the lions' spirits. He is actually just a very fine detective and fighter, who was not one of the vanished. [Black Panther + Batman]

Brazil: The individual known as the Killer Bee is not actually as lethal as that name would suggest. His handle is derived from the idea that importing ideas from other places (like the Africanized bees) can create something unique. One of the few super-geniuses who actively shares his inventions with the general public, he uses a suit of powered armor and leads a small team of similarly outfitted professionals to protect and uplift his native country. He has not revealed that his technology functions thanks to a power prism. He was one of the vanished, but his allies continued his work in his absence. [Iron Man + Green Lantern + Brown Hornet]