[D&D5e] The Uncannyverse

Have a setting you like or a home brew you want to share? Do it here.
MacynSnow

Re: [D&D5e] The Uncannyverse

Post by MacynSnow »

@Uncanny-- yup,it is the Moebius System alright! I run....USED to run(Stupid COVID) an ongoing STA game set in their default area called Akira.The lead player(Captain) is a Half Vulcan that uses Mind Meld. The base idea is that it's a Contested Intelligence roll to not revel what the target knows and has to be physical skin-skin contact. I'd say DC would be same as Spell DC.
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

@MacynSnow that sounds Interesting I'll definitely have to check out the Moebius system's Star Trek Vulcan. That Mind Meld sounds like it has the potential to be what I've been looking for. I've been giving your Avatar question some more thought. I believe I'm going to move the timeline back several hundreds before Aang. Back to when Kyoshi was the Avatar.

I actually kind of want to move the timeline back even further, but I want to include the Dai Le, and Kyoshi warriors as factions in the Uncannyverse. I was surprised to learn Avatar Kyoshi actually founded both groups, and lived to be over 300 years old. The reason I want to push back the timeline is to avoid having to include every npc from the franchise. I'll drop in a couple of my Favs as easter eggs, but I really don't want to have to come up with stat blocks with every character from Game of Thrones & Avatar. Hopefully this will allow the players to play iconic characters from the various franchises, and not have to worry about it messing up the lore of the Uncannyverse.

Valyrian Variant Human

Size: Medium

Ability Score Increase: Two different ability scores of your choice by 1.

Skills: You gain proficiency in one skill of your choice

Feat: You gain one feat of your choice

Blessed by Fire: You have resistance against both fire, and psychic damage, in addition when wearing no armor your AC is 11 + your dexterity bonus

Tool Proficiency. You gain proficiency in one Tool of your choice

Martial Training. You are proficient with two martial weapons of your choice and with light armor

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Arcana, and High Valyrian

Yep my Valyrian is basically a variant human with fire resistance. I think it stacks up well with the other Homebrew races I've posted and some players will probably grab it. Sorry folks about the light post today I've got a early morning tomorrow.

EDIT 1: I added psychic resistance to the blessed by fire trait. The original trait belonged to a goblin variant

EDIT 2: I added 2 traits to bring this race in line with the rest of non royal options which have 5 traits
Last edited by Uncanny on Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

Alright back to business. I touched on the Boros guild, and now I want to go a bit in depth on the Minotaur Dragonmarked house, before touching on the Covenant religion on a later post to shine light on how the guilds, Dragonmarked houses, and religions all interact in a single city.

I mentioned earlier that I planned to re-flavor the dragonmarked houses from Eberron in the Uncannyverse. The main reason for this is because Dragons are different in Homebrew, and largely based of the wish granting variant found in the Dragonballz franchise. They didn't start that way either. I originally imagined the Uncannyverse as a fusion of the Elder Scrolls video games, Avatar the Last Airbender, and Game of Thrones. The problem is each franchise's Dragons have unique traits which when all blended together would be a nightmare for any group of players to face.

I'll start with the franchise whose dragons are pretty much standard. The Game of the Thrones dragons all breath fire, but unlike D&D dragons they come in a variety of colors not just red. Avatar the Last Airbenders dragons are not unique because of their breath weapon, but because of the way they interact in the Spirit World (Feywild) on the show. The best way to use game mechanics to describe it is an plane shift spell. Which is high level magic, but if I limited it to once a day I could lower the CR. However the Elder Scrolls dragons are so over powered. Dragons in that universe are related to the god of time, and as such can't be killed by conventional means because their souls are immortal. They are only defeated during the Skyrim because the player is a destined hero born to slay dragons. I'll assume a Wish spell cast after one is defeated will keep them from resurrecting in the Uncannyverse.

So instead the Dragonmark marked houses will each be sponsored by a different Daedric Prince. Daedra are basically the Elder Scrolls version of demon lords. Although they are all not evil. Next post I plan to explain how I will differentiate them from warlocks, and go into the mechanics behind the Minotaur Mark of Scribing.
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

In the Uncannyverse the Mintour's of Tamriel formed an ancient pact with the Daedric
Prince Clavicus Vile. The high born family of House D'Barbas was founded blessed with a special mark from their Daedric sponsor.

Minotaur of House D'Barbas

Age: Minotaur's develop more slowly than humans, reaching full maturity around the age of 20. A minotaur
allowed to die of old age would rarely live beyond 40.

Size: Minotaur's average over 6 feet in height, and they have strong, stocky builds. Your size is Medium.

Ability Score Increase: Your Strength score increases by 2, Charisma increases by 1 , and your Constitution score increases by 1.

Language: You can speak, read and write Common, and Minotaur

Tool Proficiencies: You are proficient with Navigator’s tools, and vehicles (water)

Natural Weapons:You can use your horns as a natural weapon to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with your horns, you deal bludgeoning damage equal to 1d6 + your Strength modifier.

Menacing: You gain proficiency in the Intimidation skill

Savage Attacks: When you score a critical hit with a melee weapon attack, you can roll one of the weapon’s
damage dice one additional time and add it to the extra damage of the critical hit.

Gifted Scribe: When you make a Intelligence (History) check or an ability check using calligraphers supplies, you can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the ability check

Scribes Insight: You know the message cantrip an can cast it as a bonus action. You can also cast comprehend languages once with this trait, and you regain the ability to cast it when you finish a short or long rest. Starting at 3rd level, you can cast the magic mouth spell with this trait and you regain the ability to cast it when you finish a long res. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for these spells

EDIT 1: Added the Tool proficiency trait to reflect the fact that these Minotaur's are sailors, and to bring this Royal race in line with the rest whom have 6 traits

EDIT 2: Added a couple lines to the language trait. These folks get 2
Last edited by Uncanny on Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

The Covenant religion from the Halo video games will be adapted in the Uncannyverse. All the alien races will be reskinned as fantasy options for players. Additionally there is a vast Halo structure which surrounds the solar system. The Covenant will use Heliod profile from the Gods of Theros 5th edition book. The cleric domain will be Light

Ayelid Winged Elf

Size: Ayelids stand from 5 to 6 feet tall, but their bodies are slender and their bones are partially hollow to
facilitate their flight. Your size is Medium.

Age: Although elves reach physical maturity at about the same age as humans, the elven understanding of adulthood goes
beyond physical growth to encompass worldly experience. An elf typically claims adulthood and an adult name around the age of 100
and can live to be 750 years old.

Ability Score Increase: Your Intelligences increases by 2, and your Dexterity increases by 1

Speed: Your base walking speed is 35 feet. You have a flying speed of 40 feet. You can’t use your flying speed while you wear medium or heavy armor. (If your campaign uses the variant rule for encumbrance, you can’t use your flying speed if you are encumbered.)

Hawkeyed. You have proficiency in the Perception skill. In addition, attacking at long range doesn’t impose disadvantage
on your ranged weapon attack rolls.

Meridia's Blessing: You can add half your proficiency bonus, rounded down, to any Intelligence check you make that doesn’t
already include your proficiency bonus.

Low Light Vision: For 30 feet around you, you can see in dim light as if it were bright light. You cannot see in darkness.

Cantrip: You know one cantrip of your choice from the wizards spell list. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for it.

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Aldmeris, and Tamrielic

EDIT 1: Added languages
Last edited by Uncanny on Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I haven't seen the Winged Elf since Advanced(technically 2e)! :shock:

Neat find Uncanny!
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

@MacynSnow: Thanks but honestly I didn't do much besides combine the traits of a Aven, and a High Elf with some low light vision.

Next Guild up is the Dimir. This faction is all about wearing dark blue, and black clothes. House Dimir is a guild of secrecy, manipulation and underhanded deals, a shadowy organization operating behind the scenes. For the Uncannyverse I'll combine this guild with the Bene Gesserit from Dune. For those unfamiliar with the sisterhood I suggest you use this
link. An interesting note about the Dimir its patrons are unaware that they are in fact employing the guild, instead thinking they are employing guildless mercenaries or another guild. Dimir are so secretive that even its own agents often do not know who they truly work for.

I have a 3 backgrounds in mind for this guild. I plan to re flavor the Volstrucker Agent from the Explorer's Guide to Wildemount. The other 2 options I have in mind are a Faceless Man assassin, and a Bene Gesserit Truthsayers.
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

Just a quick note on the way I'm handling background features. I'll allow a player to trade-out a feature for a feat, additionally a few backgrounds will allow a player to cast a Cantrip, and a few will allow the player the option to cast a 1st level spell. That's the reason I'm trying to 'double-up' the background features I'm adding to the Uncannyverse. So that hopefully the backgrounds that don't offer magic won't be neglected.

Faceless Men

I really want to link the Faceless Men to Koh the Face Stealer from Avatar the Last Airbender. However the assassin's from Bravos are a death cult, and Koh never seemed like a outright evil spirit when I watched the show. His interaction with Aang made him seem more like a merciless trickster from my viewpoint, and if I had to give him a alignment it would probably be True Neutral. Then again death comes for everyone so I guess it could be looked at as a Neutral concept. Basically what I'm getting at is this background is just a placeholder for the Dimir guild, unless I change my mind and add this background under the religious entry for the death god.

Faceless Men

Skill Proficiencies: Deception, Stealth

Tool Proficiencies: Poisoner's Kit

Languages: Arcana

Equipment: A set of common clothes, a black cloak with a hood, a poisoner's kit, and a pouch containing 10 gp

Feature: Koh's Gift You can cast Disguise Self once with this trait and regain the ability to do so when you finish a
short rest. Charisma is your spellcasting ability for this spell. The material component for this spell is the face from a dead humanoid. Which has been deceased for 8 hours. The Faceless Men cure the faces of the dead hanging these skins until they dry and become a leather mask.

I hope the feature isn't to confusing. I don't want the players to be able to go full murder-hobo, and spam this ability as a get out of jail free card. There is no limit on the amount of faces a player can haul around, however it takes 8 hours before a face removed from a corpse can be used as a disguise.
Last edited by Uncanny on Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

@Uncanny--love the Bravos image(i'm a Sucker for a nice looking beltbuckle). As for the Koh thing;don't link him, just have it be rumored that their part of the Guild. After all, what would Koh care what they say? No, you want somebody to REALLY link 'em to? There's that Faceless Assassin's Guild from Game of Thrones you could use...
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

@MacynSnow: Thanks for the compliment on the pic, but honestly google deserves most of the credit. Your probably right about Koh, but I can't help but feel that these two would either be allies, or adversaries because they share the same gimmick. I'm actually got plans to link the Iron Bank of Bravos with the Orzhov Syndicate guild from Ravnica.

Bene Gesserit Truthsayers

Skill Proficiencies: Insight, Persuasion

Tool Proficiency: Poisoners Kit

Languages: Sign Language

Equipment: a set of fine clothes, an ornate headdress, a knife, and a pouch containing 50 gp

Feature: Court Functionary, Truthsaying You have advantage on insight rolls to ferret out a npc's lies, and deception. your knowledge of bureaucracies function lets you gain the access to the records and also the inner workings of any other noble courts or any government which you encounter. You know who are the movers and also shakers are, whom to go to and for the favors you seek and also what the current intrigues of interest in the group are.
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

A rough draft of my Homebrew's world map. The labels underneath the pics correspond with were I envision the continent's to be located in relation to Earth

Image Image

Tamriel = North American Continent // Essos = Eurasia continent
Image Image

Sorthoroyos = South American Continent // Earth Kingdom = African continent

EDIT: Well this isn't exactly what I had pictured in my head, but until I learn how to draw this will have to suffice. Btw the Sorthoroyos map is just something I found on the internet and subject to change if I find another version I like more. I also realize I need to make traits, bonds, and flaws for all the backgrounds I've been posting, but honestly I'll save that for later
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

@Uncanny--Just do what all the WoTC products do: cheap out & steal from the PHB backgrounds. :D
As for the maps, don't worry 'bout it. So long as you, the GM, know where everything is generically at and can keep it straight, your golden.
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

@MacynSnow: Yeah your right good artists borrow great artists steal. Eventually I need to make battle maps but that's down the road ...

Running through the guilds is getting a bit overwhelming so I'm going to use a this post to expand on one of the influences for the Uncannyverse. The movie Edge of Tomorrow. An entertaining action movie starring Tom Cruise. Although I actually liked Emily Blunts character more. The concept revolves around a couple of soldiers who are able to reset the day after they die in combat. I really enjoyed the battery powered armor, and monsters.

I envision elite npc's combing this armor with the ODM-gears from Attack on Titan to zip around the battlefield. I'll come up with some kind of stat array later, but right now I'm thinking the armor will increase the wearer's carrying capacity, and give them a rapid reload feature for ranged weapons. As far as the Monsters are concerned in the movie they are called Mimics. I find their designs so amazing, and clearly they will be aberrations in the Uncannyverse.

MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

@Uncanny-- i found Edge of Tomorrow better than what everybody was saying at the time. Yeah, it's a typical Tom Cruise movie(with the Screaming and the Running and the Weird facials), but it had a neat concept and Good World-building imho. They could maybe do a sequel(they left it open-ended), depending on how they explained the Alien's away...
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

@MacynSnow: I hope they make a sequel, but I don't think it is likely it's been more then a few years since Edge of Tomorrow debuted. Then again they made a sequel to Top Gun so ...

Golgari Swarm

The Golgari Swarm the next guild on the list. This faction is a blend of druidic nature magic, and necromancy. The guild was originally founded to maintain Ravnica's agriculture and manage its waste, But the dark elf leader eventually became a lich, and his philosophy of embracing death as part of the natural cycle became the ethos of the entire Golgari Swarm. The three most important power groups within the guild are the dark elves, the medusas, and a insectile race called the Kraul

Qohor A song of Ice and Fire
Image Image

I'm blending the Golgari faction with the city of Qohor from the novels written by G.R.R Martin. In the lore presented in the books the citizens of the city worship a god with the face of a black goat, and make daily blood sacrifices in his honor. The darker arts of arcane lore are taught within the cities walls, and a large forest exists just west of the it's borders. Seems to me like a good place for the Golgari Swarm to have a headquarters in the Uncannyverse

Karrnath

Of course there isn't a ton of lore that exists about Qohor. The city wasn't featured in the show, and so far none of the characters from the books have visited the city. So to fill out some of the sparser details I'll add the nation of Karrnath from Eberron. A nation with a strong military tradition, and a abundance of undead troops.

In the future I plan to make medusas a playable race, and I'll replace the Kraul with the Thri - kreen from Dark Sun.