[D&D5e] The Uncannyverse

Have a setting you like or a home brew you want to share? Do it here.
Uncanny

Re: [D&D5e] The Uncannyverse

Post by Uncanny »

Kaminoan

Ability Score Increase: Intelligence increases by 2, and Wisdom increases by 1

Age: Kaminoan's mature slower than humans da, reaching maturity around age 40. Their life span is typically 350 years, with some living to the age of 500

Size: Tall and slender, Kaminoan's stand 7 to 7 1/2 feet tall on average and usually weigh less than 200 pounds. Your size is medium

Speed 30 feet

Cunning Artisan: As part of a short rest you can harvest bone and hide from a slain beast, construct, dragon, monstrosity, or plant creature of size Small or larger to create one of the following items: a shield, a club, a javelin, or 1d4 darts or blowgun needles. To use this trait, you need a blade, such as a dagger, or appropriate artisan's tools, such as leatherworker's tools.

Clever: You have a natural talent for providing openings and advantages for others. On your turn, you can use a
bonus action to take the Help action. You can use this feature again after you complete a short or long rest.

Kaminoan Dispassion: You have advantage on all Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma saving throws

Partially Amphibious: By absorbing oxygen through your skin, you can breathe underwater for up to 1 hour. Once you've reached that limit, you can't use this trait again until you finish a long rest

Tireless Precision: You are proficient in one of the following skills of your choice: Arcana, History, Investigation, Medicine, Performance, or Sleight of Hand. You are also proficient with one tool of your choice.

Languages. You can speak, read, and write Arcana, and Ehlnofex

Whenever you make an ability check with the chosen skill or tool, roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the checks total.

I added a couple of traits to the baseline Vedalken from the Ravnica source book. Kaminoan's are a alien race from Star Wars responsible for cloning storm troopers. The next post will detail how I plan to roll the Simic Combine into the Uncannyverse
Last edited by Uncanny on Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

The Simic Combine

The last guild featured in the Ravnica source book an organization of mysterious mutant makers. An unknown leader runs a faction full of biomancers in secret laboratories. The guild uses magic to coax new morphologies from existing creatures, as well as to combine traits from multiple organisms in one. Some of these are unique creatures that can't reproduce. A few multiply and become part of the guild's fabric.

The Simic Combine and it's mad scientist will fit well in the Uncannyverse, but I like to blend multiple sources in my Homebrew worlds so I'll add a group from the Dune franchise.

The Bene Tleilax

The Tleilaxu are a secretive group of genetically altered humans with customs and ethics which cause widespread revulsion by the other cultures of the Known Universe. The Tleilaxu were an inherently isolationist culture that was dominated by a strict hierarchy and an overriding religious zeal. They had long focused their efforts on genetics, and the pursuit of spiritual elevation through physical refinement. Their culture and religion is highly suggestive of extreme male chauvinism.

The Bene Tleilax were known for creating Face Dancers ( dopplegangers ), and Ghola's resurrected clones which possessed most (if not all) of the memories of the source thanks to a variant on genetic memory. Changelings from the Eberron source book will be a good fit for Face Dancers, and the concept of Ghola's gives the players an additional option for character resurrection. So far the guild is shaping up nicely. I see the Simic Combine sorta like 'Mob' doctors who patch up wounds without the authorities getting involved but the patient might end up with a mutant appendage. However this organization doesn't have a ton of monsters as members like some of the other Ravnican Guilds. I've got an organization in mind that should hopefully remedy the monster problem while keeping the guild mainly humanoid oriented

Monarch from the Monsterverse

A cryptozoological organization dedicated to studying the creatures "massive unidentified terrestrial organisms" (MUTOs), giant monsters of various shapes, sizes, and forms called Titans.

So Far in the Monsterverse films have featured Godzilla, King Kong, Rodan, King Ghidorah, and Mothra. I'll add all of these Kaiju to the Uncannyverse although King Kong will be altered to resemble the Golden Ape form Goku, and Vegeta achieved in Dragonballz GT. This change is necessary since all 5th level Saiyan's can transform into Large Ape's. Kong would be larger true yet his novelty will wear off if I don't differentiate him.
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

So the Ravnica lore suggests that the Guildpact maintains the balance of the guilds and prevents any one guild from becoming too powerful and asserting dominance over the others. As far as I know it operates using Law Magic. What that means exactly is a little hazy but one of the main things it does is stop factions declaring all out war on each other with large armies. That's why Ravnica has so much subterfuge and espionage as the Guildpact forces them to keep conflict mostly small scale. As for what else it does I'm not entirely sure. All the lore on the Guildpact is frustratingly vague.

Honestly until I researched the Guildpact I forgot it was an actual magic thing. I always just assumed it worked as a sort of parliament that resolves disputes and hammers out laws reps from each guild vote on. And what kept it together was a combination of subterfuge and the threat that if one guild ever became too powerful the others would all gang up on it for the sake of self preservation.

The best way I've found to express the Guildpact in 5th edition terms. The Guildpact dictates what can and cannot be granted by a Wish spell. The living guildpact can cast wish and add additional caveats, but cannot UNdo any previous declarations inside the pact without all 10 Guild Leaders agreeing on a line veto... so it rarely ever happens. Basically the Guildpact is a magical 'living' document which grants the Guild members their access to arcane spells. Next post will detail how the Elder Scrolls influence the Uncannyverse

EDIT 1: I plan to add the Warg background from A Song of Ice and Fire to the Selesnya Conclave, and a Suk school surgeon from the Dune franchise as a background for the Simic Combine.
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

Selesnya Greenseer Background

Skill Proficiencies: Nature, Persuasion

Language: Sylvan

Tool Proficiency: Alchemist's Supplies

Equipment: A wreath of mistletoe, a healers kit, robes, a set of common clothes, and a belt pouch containing 5 gp

Feature: Warging + Green Sight

Warging: You can cast a version of Animal Friendship as a ritual at 3rd level.
This spell lets you convince a beast that you mean it no harm. Choose a beast that you can see within range. It must see and hear you. If the beast’s Intelligence is 4 or higher, the spell fails. Otherwise, the beast must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or be charmed by you for the spell’s duration of 1 hour. If you or one of your companions harms the target, the spell ends.

Additionally;
Your Animal acts independently of you, but it always obeys your commands. In combat, it rolls its own initiative and acts on its own turn. While your Animal is within 6 miles of you, you can communicate with it telepathically. Additionally, as an action, you can see through your Animal's eyes and hear what it hears until the start of your next turn, gaining the benefits of any special senses that the Animal has. During this time, you are deaf and blind with regard to your own senses.

Green Sight: You can cast a version of Speak with Plants as a ritual at 5th level.
You imbue Plants within 6 miles of you with limited sentience and animation, giving them the ability to communicate with you and follow your simple commands. You can question Plants about events in the spell's area within the past month. gaining information about creatures that have passed, weather, and other circumstances.

EDIT 1: The Uncannyverse version of a 'sking changer' from A song of Ice and Fire books. I couldn't think of a way to include the green dreams mechanically so I didn't bother including them.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

@Uncanny-- you could try using it like this(which your free to borrow,if you like it)...
GREEN DREAMS:
Once every two long rests, you may make a DC20 Wisdom roll. If Successful, the GM gives you One piece of intelligence about the future of the Campaign/Session. When said piece of intell becomes pertinent, you gain Advantage on your next roll involving it. If you tell anyone else of what you've seen(PC or NPC), you instead gain Disadvantage on said roll.
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

@MacynSnow: Thank you I will be happy to add your suggestion about the green dreams, btw you never mentioned what your character concept was ?

Suk School

Simic Suk Surgeon Background

Skill Proficiencies: Medicine, Deception

Tool Proficiencies: Herbalism Kit, Painters Supplies

Equipment: A herbalism kit, a Simic insignia, a small knife, a set of dark common clothes, a book of research notes, an ink pen, a bottle of squid ink, a vial of acid, and a belt pouch containing 25 gp

Feature: Talented Healer, Moderate Hospitality

You gain advantage on ability checks made using a Herbalism kit. you can maintain a moderate lifestyle while working as a rustic surgeon. You receive free lodging and food of a modest or comfortable standard (depending on the quality of establishment) usually in an inn or tavern but possibly a circus, at a theater, or even a noble's court.

So I've finshed the backgrounds for the 10 Ravnica guilds, and now it's time to reflavor the 12 Dragonmarked houses as Daedra influenced Elder Scrolls great houses. The majority of the Homebrew races I've been showcasing have been limited to 5 traits, but for the Dragonmarked subraces I'll limit the number of traits to 6. This is because the Dragonmarked traits themselves usually occupy 2 to 3 traits. For the fantasy races to still feel 'alien' I feel I needed to adjust the number. That's just one of the benefits of being 'high born' in the Uncannyverse.
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

Below is the 'low-born' version of the Chocobo in the Uncannyverse. It only has 5 traits unlike The Noble version which I will post later

Homebrew Chocobo Race

Ability Score Increase: Your Strength score increases by 2, and your Wisdom score increases by 1.

Size: Chocobo range from 6’6” to 7 feet in height and weigh between 700 and 900 pounds. Your size is Medium, but you tower over most other races.

Speed: Your base walking speed is 40 feet.

Claws: Because of your claws, you have a climbing speed of 20 feet. In addition, your claws are natural weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with them, you deal slashing damage equal to 1d4 + your strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike.

Powerful Build: You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift

Mountable: As a bonus action on your turn, you may allow a single willing ally within 5 feet of you to hitch a
brief ride on your back. They are carried on your back until the end of your turn, at which point they must disembark within 5 feet of you. While being carried, your rider is not considered to be mounted and they are not vulnerable to attacks of opportunity. Your rider must be
a bipedal creature of your size or smaller

Glide: Some Chocobo's can use their feathered arms and legs to glide. Chocobo's with this racial trait can make a DC 15 Acrobatics check to fall safely from any height without taking falling damage, as if using feather fall. When falling safely, a Chocobo may make an additional DC 15 Acrobatics check to glide, moving 5 feet laterally for every 20 feet he falls.

Mimicry: You can mimic sounds you have heard, including voices. A creature that hears the sounds you make can tell they are imitations with a successful Wisdom (Insight) check opposed by your Charisma (Deception) check

Languages: You can read and write Auran, but you can speak only by using your mimicry trait.

EDIT 1: For those whom have never heard of the Chocobo before they are from the Final Fantasy video game franchise, and they are sorta of mix between a ostrich and a centaur. I mixed together the Tengu from pathfinder, a homebrew Centaur race I found online, and the Kenku from Volo's guide to monsters
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

@Uncanny--depending on what Hoid agrees to, it's either a Pair of Smooth Ocean's Eleven heist-guys OR a pair of Bob Hope & Bing Crosby Traveller's that somehow get caught up in all these Shenanigans...
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

@MacynSnow: I love both of those idea's. The Wedding will feature a highly regarded Horselord, and a Dragonborn heiress. A Dragoball will be the players main goal, and weapons will strictly be forbidden, but a Dothraki wedding without 3 deaths is considered a dull affair.

The fighting tournament will feature the 4 main bosses from Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter, Tekken, and Soul Calibur. I have not chosen were to stage the arena yet.

Royal Chocobo of House d''Nunda

Ability Score Increase: Your Wisdom score increases by 2, and your Constitution score increases by 1.

Size: Chocobo range from 6’6” to 7 feet in height and weigh between 700 and 900 pounds. Your size is Medium, but you tower over most other races.

Speed: Your base walking speed is 40 feet. You have a flying speed of 40 feet. You can’t use your flying
speed while you wear medium or heavy armor. (If your campaign uses the variant rule for encumbrance, you
can’t use your flying speed if you are encumbered.)

Adept Linguist: You can communicate with humanoids who don’t speak any language you know. You must observe the humanoids interacting with one another for at least 1 day, after which you learn a handful of important words, expressions, and gestures—enough to communicate on a rudimentary level.

Beak: You have a powerful Beak that you can use to bite creatures in place of an unarmed strike. If you
hit with it, you deal piercing damage equal to 1d6 + your Strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage
normal for an unarmed strike.

Small Arms: You have disadvantage on attack rolls with heavy weapons.

Medical Intuition: When you make a Wisdom (Medicine) check or an ability check using an herbalism kit, yoou can roll a d4 and add the number rolled to the ability check.

Healing Touch: You can cast the cure wounds spell with this trait. Starting at 3rd level, you can also cast lesser restoration with it. On ce you cast either spell with this trait, you can't cast that spell with it again until you finish a long rest. Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

Languages. You can read and write Auran, and Common

The royal Chocobo has 6 racial traits (Flying + 5), and I'll homebrew a Noble background which for the price of an arranged marriage. Will grant them the 'Spells of the Mark' trait which will allow them to choose a couple of bonus spells per level

EDIT1: Okay 2 D'Marked houses down mechanically know I just have to expand on the lore, and include variants
Last edited by Uncanny on Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

Daedra Mark Inheritor Mark of Healing Great House D'Nunda Homebrew Background

Skill Proficiencies: Choose 2 from ; Arcana, Medicine, History, Performance

Tool Proficiencies: Your choice of a gaming set or a musical instrument

Language: Any one of your choice

Equipment A set of traveler's clothes, a signet ring, a set of fine clothes, and a pouch containing 50 gp

Feature: Arraigned Marriage , Spells of the Mark

Your bride or groom is primarily selected by a matchmaker provided by House D'Nunda. You and your spouse are expected to produce a baby who will hopefully one day manifest the Mark.

Additionally you gain spells for going through the process of producing the next generation of House D'Nunda

Courtship and Betrothal rituals, Typically arranged by parents, grandparents or other relatives
1st Cure Wounds, Healing Word
2nd Lesser Restoration, Prayer of Healing

Day of the Wedding
3rd Aura of Vitality, Mass Healing Word
4th Aura of Purity, Aura of Life

Birth of your first child
5th Greater Restoration

EDIT 1: Alright so this bacground will only be available to Royal Chocobo's, and Foundlings. Any race can bear the Mark of Healing yet the 5 trait limit remains.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

@Uncanny--tell me your World has Professional Chocobo Racing. I ask because i can picture the Hope & Crosby getting in trouble with a Bookie from the track and now owe him a "Favor"(hence why they NEED that Dragonball)...
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

@MacynSnow: What kind of a DM would I be if I introduced Chocobo's to my campaign, and didn't have them race. 8-)

How do you feel about the Bookie being a 'Gnomish mobster' ?, I've been looking at the Zilargo Gnomes from Eberron and I've been wondering how to introduce them to the Unncannyverse. I figured I would make them gun runners, but gambling also works.

Did you just give me a plot hook :mrgreen:

Outline for the next week or 2

Twi 'lek - The Mark of Finding
Halflings - The Mark of Passage
Tritons - The Mark of Hospitality
Orc - The Mark of the Sentinel
Dragonborn -The Mark of Warding
Elf - The Mark of Shadow
Na'vi - The Mark of Handling
Vulcan - The Mark of Storm
Goblin - The Mark of detection

Hopefully I finish the Dragonmark's by the middle of May. I then have to get to work converting the Religions from the Theros source book. Mid July or Early August I plan on recruiting for a future One -Shot
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

@Uncanny--Your welcome for said plot hook. :lol:

The Zitargo Gnomes work perfect for the idea, especially if you give 'em Steampunk-Era Outfits & Repeating Weapons. Remember, the Corebook Gnomes were all about inventing, or "Tinkering", with anything they got their hands on. Culturally, they'd be the first to discover anything technological.
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

MacynSnow wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:38 am @Uncanny--Your welcome for said plot hook. :lol:

The Zitargo Gnomes work perfect for the idea, especially if you give 'em Steampunk-Era Outfits & Repeating Weapons. Remember, the Corebook Gnomes were all about inventing, or "Tinkering", with anything they got their hands on. Culturally, they'd be the first to discover anything technological.
@MacynSnow: Great minds think a like I have something special planned when I unveil my Homebrewed Gnome.

The Chocobo of the Uncannyverse will resemble their Final Fantasy counterparts, but they will behave like nomadic centaurs. The 'commoner' Chocobo's have to travel around to gain a large vocabulary with their mimicry ability/curse, and the 'Royal' Chocobo's linguist trait allows them to learn nearly any language after only a day of listening to it spoken around them. Also since the 'Royal' Chocobo's have a near monopoly on 'healing' magic their services are in high demand, and they travel a lot. I'm also mentioning that they will behave like centaurs because they won't be easily mounted.

The Dragonmark of healing grants various magical benefits that allow its bearers to heal and cure diseases. This Great House will be in direct conflict with the Simic Combine, However the Guild only offer's potions while the Dragonmarked house will offer restorative spells at their hospitals and healing enclaves for a price.

The Daedric Prince Meridia

I mentioned before how I was going to convert the Dragonmarks from Eberron with Daedricmarks from the Elder Scrolls franchise. Meridia full title is "The Daedric Prince of Life and Lady of Infinite Energies". Lore wise she hates undead, and is often associated with the energy of living things. They seem like a perfect fit for the Mark of Healing.

The Chocobo homeland will be on the Earth Kingdom continent, and they will be rivals with the Ayelid Elves. Meridia used to be a 'God' before they fell and became a 'Demon Prince'. The Ayelid's see themselves as the 'chosen' people of Meridia, but the Chocobo's are flying around with magic tattoo's gifted to their bloodline's by Meridia. So this Great House faction will have 2 built in rivalries, and provide healing to nearly everyone else.
Uncanny

Post by Uncanny »

Twi'lek Wookieepedia

Homebrew Twi'lek

Ability Score Increase Your Dexterity score increases by 2, and your Wisdom score increases by 1

Age Twi'lek mature at the same rate as humans and live about as long.

Size: Twi'lek average nearly 6 feet tall, but are much lighter and more slender than humans

Speed: Your base walking speed is 30 feet. You also have a climbing speed of 30 feet as long as you
are not encumbered or wearing heavy armor.

Twi'Lek Coordination: You have proficiency in the Athletics and Acrobatics skills

Lucky: When you roll a 1 on the d20 for an attack roll, ability check, or saving throw, you can reroll the
die and must use the new roll

Brave You have advantage on saving throws against being frightened.

Seductive: You have advantage on Charisma checks made to seduce any creature that can understand you. This could be persuasion, deception, intimidation, or performance depending on how the action is performed.

Languages You can speak, read, and write Common, and communicate in the silent speech of the Twi'lek

EDIT 1: First draft of my Twi'lek a blending of the Kor race from Zendikar, and a Star wars pdf I found online. Tomorrow I will post the Royal version of the Twi'lek
Last edited by Uncanny on Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.