Proditor's Pad of Pop Culture and V&V. (NEW! Princess M'Krell and Singularity from Golden Heroes!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Proditor's Pad of Pop Culture and V&V. (NEW! BIRDMAN!)

Post by Ares »

I'd say my only issue with the Birdman re-design was that they got rid of the amulet/neck piece he wore in the cartoon. Making it just a yellow square around the neck is a bit iffy, but beyond that, making the black trunks into pants works fine for me.

And I hope you feel better Prod. Take it easy.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

Definitely feel better, Prod but I have to say, I am NOT happy with you for posting these builds. Made me have to start FutureQuest and I'm already spending too much on geek stuff! ;)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
proditor

Post by proditor »

Thanks for the well wishes everyone.

I'm glad these builds are also generating some interest in the book! The first 6 issues are available in a TPB, and I can't think Part 2 is that far off honestly. On to more builds!
proditor

Post by proditor »

MI-TOR

Mi-Tor - PL 10

Strength 10, Stamina 10, Agility 1, Dexterity 1, Fighting 8, Intellect 2, Awareness 0, Presence 1

Advantages
Beginner's Luck, Improved Initiative, Luck 2, Move-by Action, Ranged Attack 8, Untapped Potential

Skills
Athletics 2 (+12), Expertise: Current Events 2 (+4), Perception 1 (+1), Vehicles 3 (+4)

Powers
Alternate Form (Heroic) (Activation: Move Action)
. . Combat Prowess: Enhanced Fighting 6 (+6 FGT, Advantages: Move-by Action, Ranged Attack 8, Untapped Potential)
. . Enduring: Enhanced Stamina 10 (+10 STA)
. . Enhanced Reflexes: Enhanced Trait 5 (Traits: Dodge +4 (+7), Advantages: Improved Initiative)
. . Flight: Flight 7 (Speed: 250 miles/hour, 0.5 miles/round)
. . Growth: Growth 4 (+4 STR, +4 STA, +2 Intimidate, -4 Stealth, -2 active defenses, +1 size rank, +4 mass ranks)
. . Mighty: Enhanced Strength 9 (+9 STR)
. . Snag the Sabertooth Tiger: Summon 7 (Heroic, Reaction 3: reaction)
Kid-sized: Shrinking 4 (-1 STR, -2 Intimidate, +4 Stealth, +2 active defenses, -1 size rank; Innate; Permanent)
Mi-Tor's Club (Easily Removable)
. . Blast: Damage 8 (DC 23; Increased Range: ranged; Limited: Only usable in Heroic Form)
. . Damage: Strength-based Damage 2 (DC 27)
. . Dimensional Portal: Movement 3 (Dimensional 3: any dimension, 50 lbs.; Portal; Limited: Only in Heroic Form)
. . Omnikron's Energy: Feature 1 (Notes: The club will point to the nearest source of Omnikron's energy on this dimensional plane like a compass pointing north.)

Offense
Initiative +5
Blast: Damage 8, +9 (DC 23)
Damage: Strength-based Damage 2, +8 (DC 27)
Grab, +8 (DC Spec 20)
Throw, +9 (DC 25)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 25)

Complications
Enemy: Omnikron. More than any other hero, Omnikron hates Mi-Tor because some of his energy is held by the empowered club.

Identity: Ty. He's your average 12 year old kid who loves to pal around with Jonny and Hadji, he also just happens to turn into a massive ripped superhero when needed.

Motivation: Doing Good: Long before he was Mi-Tor, Ty was helping rescue Team Quest and help out others in bad situations.

Power Loss: Without his club, Mi-Tor/Ty cannot change state.

Relationship: Snag: His loyal house cat and part-time Smilodon buddy. While Ty respects his cat's prowess, he also does not want to see him ever get hurt.

Relationship: The Quest Brothers: Ty becomes fast friends with Hadji and Jonny. He'll come to the aid of Team Quest in a heartbeat. If his parents say it's okay of course.

Relationship: Parents: Ty's parents adapt well to the thought that their son turns into a massively muscled superhuman to fight evil, but still, he's twelve, and they are his parents, even if he did say the universe.

Responsibility: School, and being a kid. Ty has to do all of the things a normal kid would do, so sometimes he can't go racing off to help his friends because he has second period algebra.

Defense
Dodge 7/3, Parry 8, Fortitude 10, Toughness 10, Will 5

Power Points
Abilities 16 + Powers 156 + Advantages 3 + Skills 4 (8 ranks) + Defenses 7 = 186

-At the dawn of humanity's time, the being Omnikron opened a breach spewing otherworldly energy from another dimension, and a brave hunter did what we humans are most known for; he poked it with a stick. This siphoned off some of Omnikron's power, and created the superpowered Mightor. Mightor battled against monsters that had been freed from the breach, and eventually defeated them all, but Omnikron returned and wanted his power back. Mightor fought against Omnikron and banished him, but at the cost of his own life. In modern times, his club was retrieved in an archaeological dig, and as a portal from Omnikron woke the power within, it was grabbed by young Ty, who was working with Team Quest. Ty was given Mightor's powers, and he began the path to become a superhero. He was mentored by Birdman, and quickly proved his worth, being instrumental in helping to fight off the destruction of the universe when Omnikron attacked again. Now Mi-Tor has to figure out what's next in the life of a twelve year old from Maryland who happens to turn into a superpowered juggernaut.

-So the original Mightor was interesting. Admittedly, I liked his flying dragon thing more than him most of the time, and his adventures were the standard heroic cycle of conflict, setback, inspiration, victory. Nothing wrong with that, there's a reason it;s the fucking formula after all, but a lot of the other heroes seemed cooler. Now the new Mi-Tor is simply awesome. It's hard to pin it to one thing, but he's like Peter Parker without the angst, and he is genuinely THRILLED at being massively super-powered. That's always bugged me in comics. I mean, you have people that can literally change the world, and it's all "Woe is me, such a burden.." and no "HOLY SHIT I AM A WALKING GOD!!!" So I like this re imagining a LOT. I think they nailed the general Hanna-Barbera ideal with Mi-Tor, and I really, really hope we see a lot more of this comic. My only worry is that he works better in a group book than solo, but hey, ya never until you try, right?

-Mi-Tor is powerful. It's remarked on a couple times in the series, and it comes through in little things. One, he's never knocked around like Birdman. Sure, he gets beat-up, but even when he flubs a strength check while stopping a falling boulder, and gets slammed to the ground, he just shrugs it off almost instantly. He's extremely strong, but he and Birdman struggle to lift Frankenstein Jr's head module, though based on the statement "It weighs as much as a train!" that puts it at least 200 tons. So yeah, there's that. Also, the aforementioned boulder? He almost had it, he just kinda ran out of flying room and gravity won. So I'm pleased with the build, though he is massively over-pointed for PL 10. But this also reflects that he's supposed to be very powerful, and extremely new at all of this.

SNAG

Snag - PL 7

Strength 5, Stamina 3, Agility 2, Dexterity 0, Fighting 4, Intellect -1, Awareness 2, Presence 0

Advantages
Chokehold, Fast Grab, Improved Critical 2: Natural Weapons (Bite, Claws): Strength-based Damage 3, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative

Skills
Acrobatics 4 (+6), Athletics 8 (+13), Close Combat: Natural Weapons (Bite, Claws): Strength-based Damage 3 2 (+6), Expertise: Survival 5 (+4), Insight 2 (+4), Intimidation 6 (+7), Perception 6 (+8), Stealth 8 (+11/+7)

Powers
Animal Senses: Senses 6 (Acute: Olfactory, Extended: Olfactory 1: x10, Low-light Vision, Tracking: Olfactory 2: full speed, Ultra-hearing)
Big Cat: Growth 3 (+3 STR, +3 STA, +1 Intimidate, -3 Stealth, -2 active defenses, +3 mass ranks; Innate; Permanent)
Cold Adaptation: Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation: Cold)
Fast
. . Leaping: Leaping 1 (Leap 15 feet at 4 miles/hour)
. . Speed: Speed 2 (Speed: 8 miles/hour, 120 feet/round)
Natural Camouflage: Enhanced Trait 2 (Traits: Stealth +4 (+11); Limited: Only in Grasslands or Plains)
Natural Weapons (Bite, Claws): Strength-based Damage 3 (DC 23, Advantages: Improved Critical 2)

Offense
Initiative +6
Grab, +4 (DC Spec 15)
Natural Weapons (Bite, Claws): Strength-based Damage 3, +6 (DC 23)
Throw, +0 (DC 20)
Unarmed, +4 (DC 20)

Complications
Disability: Snag is a Sabretoothed Tiger. He has no thumbs, and no one makes a kitty bed big enough.

Power Loss: If something drains Mi-Tor's powers, it can also de-power Snag, who then becomes a normal house cat

Relationship: Mi-Tor/Ty: Snag loves his human compatriot and will quite willingly leap in over his head to help his friend. He will also listen to him and stay out if ordered however.

Defense
Dodge 6, Parry 7, Fortitude 8, Toughness 3, Will 4

Power Points
Abilities 18 + Powers 24 + Advantages 4 + Skills 21 (41 ranks) + Defenses 18 = 85
Last edited by proditor on Fri May 25, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

proditor wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 4:23 pm MI-TOR

You know, it's ASTOUNDING how Future Quest managed to do in a single 12 issue series what Marvel has been failing to do for the last couple years: introduce new heroes of color/legacy heroes in a non-offensive/heavy-handed/SJW way. This could have easily come off as horrible, but the Future Quest team just pulled it off perfectly.

They give the original Mightor incredible respect as the first superhero of Earth, they show him stop incredible threats, and even though he dies, he does so single handedly beating back the creature menacing all existence. He even gets a nice passing of the torch moment with Ty where he seems very happy with how his legacy will endure. We establish Ty as a good, heroic kid for several issues before he gets his powers, and after that, we get a likable, heroic legacy hero that simultaneously adds a minority hero to the HB cast.

It's just . . . why is this so hard for Marvel and even DC to pull off, yet these guys do so flawlessly?

The only thing I'll say with the re-design is that i miss the sort of weird cowl cape thing Mightor had compared to Mi-Tor, but that's a minor quibble at best.
Now the new Mi-Tor is simply awesome. It's hard to pin it to one thing, but he's like Peter Parker without the angst, and he is genuinely THRILLED at being massively super-powered. That's always bugged me in comics. I mean, you have people that can literally change the world, and it's all "Woe is me, such a burden.." and no "HOLY SHIT I AM A WALKING GOD!!!" So I like this re imagining a LOT. I think they nailed the general Hanna-Barbera ideal with Mi-Tor, and I really, really hope we see a lot more of this comic. My only worry is that he works better in a group book than solo, but hey, ya never until you try, right?
You basically just described what made Captain Marvel/Billy Batson work as a hero. Sure, Billy understands the responsibility he has, but being a superhero is the best job in the world. You get to go on adventures, fight guys that need to be taken down, and save people. It should be one of the most rewarding jobs on the planet, because every time you save someone's life, you know you've had a positive impact on the world. That's my favorite version of Billy: Steve Rogers morality/nobility, Peter Parker's sense of humor/humanity, and a complete inability not to smile at all the cool stuff happening around him.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
RUSCHE

Post by RUSCHE »

Ares wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 5:03 pm
proditor wrote: Wed May 17, 2017 4:23 pm MI-TOR

You know, it's ASTOUNDING how Future Quest managed to do in a single 12 issue series what Marvel has been failing to do for the last couple years: introduce new heroes of color/legacy heroes in a non-offensive/heavy-handed/SJW way. This could have easily come off as horrible, but the Future Quest team just pulled it off perfectly.

They give the original Mightor incredible respect as the first superhero of Earth, they show him stop incredible threats, and even though he dies, he does so single handedly beating back the creature menacing all existence. He even gets a nice passing of the torch moment with Ty where he seems very happy with how his legacy will endure. We establish Ty as a good, heroic kid for several issues before he gets his powers, and after that, we get a likable, heroic legacy hero that simultaneously adds a minority hero to the HB cast.

It's just . . . why is this so hard for Marvel and even DC to pull off, yet these guys do so flawlessly?

The only thing I'll say with the re-design is that i miss the sort of weird cowl cape thing Mightor had compared to Mi-Tor, but that's a minor quibble at best.
Now the new Mi-Tor is simply awesome. It's hard to pin it to one thing, but he's like Peter Parker without the angst, and he is genuinely THRILLED at being massively super-powered. That's always bugged me in comics. I mean, you have people that can literally change the world, and it's all "Woe is me, such a burden.." and no "HOLY SHIT I AM A WALKING GOD!!!" So I like this re imagining a LOT. I think they nailed the general Hanna-Barbera ideal with Mi-Tor, and I really, really hope we see a lot more of this comic. My only worry is that he works better in a group book than solo, but hey, ya never until you try, right?
You basically just described what made Captain Marvel/Billy Batson work as a hero. Sure, Billy understands the responsibility he has, but being a superhero is the best job in the world. You get to go on adventures, fight guys that need to be taken down, and save people. It should be one of the most rewarding jobs on the planet, because every time you save someone's life, you know you've had a positive impact on the world. That's my favorite version of Billy: Steve Rogers morality/nobility, Peter Parker's sense of humor/humanity, and a complete inability not to smile at all the cool stuff happening around him.
First Profit of great buld and essence of what a great intro to a new heroes should feel like. Second Ares..YES on your thoughts on Captain Marvel...it can be done..DC for the love of all that is good do Captain Marvel right .
RUSCHE

Re: Proditor's Pad of Pop Culture and V&V. (NEW! MI-TOR!)

Post by RUSCHE »

PRODITOR. Sorry did not catch autocorrect mishap.
proditor

Re: Proditor's Pad of Pop Culture and V&V. (NEW! MI-TOR!)

Post by proditor »

UG

Ug - PL 6

Strength 4, Stamina 4, Agility 3, Dexterity 3, Fighting 6, Intellect 0, Awareness 2, Presence 1

Advantages
Agile Feint, Animal Empathy, Defensive Roll, Evasion, Favored Environment: Jungle, Improvised Weapon, Luck (Edit Scene) 2, Ranged Attack, Takedown, Tracking, Uncanny Dodge

Skills
Acrobatics 5 (+8), Athletics 6 (+10), Close Combat: Unarmed 2 (+8), Expertise: Survival 6 (+6), Insight 6 (+8), Perception 4 (+6), Persuasion 4 (+11/+5), Stealth 5 (+8)

Powers
Animal Handling: Enhanced Trait 3 (Traits: Persuasion +6 (+11); Limited: Only with Animals)
Jungle Lord: Movement 2 (Sure-footed 1, Swinging, Advantages: Favored Environment: Jungle)
Primitive Parkour
. . Leaping: Leaping 1 (Leap 15 feet at 4 miles/hour)
. . Speed: Speed 1 (Speed: 4 miles/hour, 60 feet/round)

Offense
Initiative +3
Grab, +6 (DC Spec 14)
Throw, +4 (DC 19)
Unarmed, +8 (DC 19)

Complications
Disability: Ug is a Neanderthal and has difficulty communicating with some people.

Motivation: Doing Good: Ug is a simple guy who just wants to do good.

Relationship: Todd Messick: Shortly after arriving in our world, Ug rescued Todd from a dinosaur. Now Todd and Ug are best friends helping each other make their way through the treacherous dinosaur filled jungles.

Defense
Dodge 7, Parry 7, Fortitude 7, Toughness 5/4, Will 4

Power Points
Abilities 46 + Powers 9 + Advantages 11 + Skills 19 (38 ranks) + Defenses 10 = 95

-Ug was ripped through one of the multi-time/dimensional holes that Omnikron was busy tearing across the universe in an attempt to defeat Mightor in the past, and escape Space Ghost in another dimension. He got dropped in a jungle that seems like a cross between the Land of the Lost, Skull Island, and Dr. Challenger's famous plateau. In a bit that probably felt more like home, Ug starts getting chased by a dinosaur (Take that Darwin! I kid, I kid...) and comes blasting out of the jungle in time to see young Todd Messick who just lost his parents to another dimensional rip. Ug scoops up Todd, and they get out of dodge, eventually running into Team Quest, and the dinosaur learns why you don't piss of Race Bannon. Ever. Ug and Todd stay as their own little team throughout the Omnikron adventure, and Ug even gets to see his hero Mi-Tor reincarnated when Ty gets the mantle from the club. After the Omnikron escapades, Todd and Ug stay in the valley to continue looking for Todd's missing parents. Eventually they meet with Adam Strange and reunite with Team Quest, but that's another story for another time.

-Ug seems to be another original creation, though admittedly, my Mightor lore is really weak. There's not a lot out on the web about the Future Quest stuff, which is really a shame, as Ug again proves that the comics companies can make cool, interesting characters without it all being grimdark bullshit. Ug is upbeat, funny, and awesome. He's Todd's version of Race, though not quite as capable. Then again, Todd gets dinosaurs, so that probably trumps having a scientist for a dad.

-Ug is built to be the next teir below Race and the other semi-super norms. He has some things he does better, like he's stronger, but in general, there's no doubt to me as written, that Jade, Deva, or Race could all stomp a dirt hole through Ug's head. They are just too good. However, Ug is a monster in the jungle, and has the abilities to reflect that. I know I've been giving out a lot of luck for these guys, but they seem to also use it a LOT in the books. That last panel, where Ug makes a tree into a super-leap supplement? That to me is a classic Hero Point/Luck use, and Ug tends to use his enviroment, so edit scene it was. Otherwise, he's a study PL6 who will mow through minions, more or less as intended.
Last edited by proditor on Fri May 25, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Proditor's Pad of Pop Culture and V&V. (NEW! UG! (no really, that's his name))

Post by Ares »

Todd and Ug are actually from a series called Dinoboy which played alongside Space Ghost when it aired originally, much the same way Birdman was paired with the Galaxy Trio.

https://youtu.be/YVgFFzaHBhU

Skaramine

Re: Proditor's Pad of Pop Culture and V&V. (NEW! UG! (no really, that's his name))

Post by Skaramine »

UG AND DINO BOY!

Wait for Todd's pet Brontosaur to show up.
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
proditor

Post by proditor »

Ares wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 4:45 pm Todd and Ug are actually from a series called Dinoboy which played alongside Space Ghost when it aired originally, much the same way Birdman was paired with the Galaxy Trio.

Cool, thanks Ares, I went and watched episode 1 as well, Heh...I'm kinda amazed how much cooler FQ made those characters.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

proditor wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 5:07 pm
Ares wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 4:45 pm Todd and Ug are actually from a series called Dinoboy which played alongside Space Ghost when it aired originally, much the same way Birdman was paired with the Galaxy Trio.

Cool, thanks Ares, I went and watched episode 1 as well, Heh...I'm kinda amazed how much cooler FQ made those characters.
Again, Future Quest showcases how to do something with incredible ease that DC and Marvel have struggled with: updating characters while keeping the core of the character intact. When DC tried to update everyone in 2011, they went the Image route of giving everyone overly complicated costumes, meaner, nastier personalities and had them do all kinds of morally ambiguous stuff. Superman became a kind of fight-happy jock, Wonder Woman was an unlikable woman from an island of rapists, the Joker cut his own face off, and Billy Batson . . . well, the less said there, the better.

Future Quest, meanwhile? The looked at the Dinoboy series and thought: okay, what did people like about these characters? What was the core concept. Well, it was that a young boy named Todd was lost in a dinosaur infested location, and a caveman Ug is now his protector while they try to escape. How do we update this?

Well, we bring these dinosaurs to the modern day with time shenanigans. We have Todd get involved because his parents are anthropologists, and he's a huge dinosaur fan (so we can actually educate people on dinosaurs). And we'll make Ug into this Tarzan-like, highly mobile, superstrong badass who can tame dinosaurs.

They basically slightly altered the set up and made everything more awesome, and without offending anyone who actually liked those old shows. Damn fine job there.

Regarding Ug vs Race, I'm not really sure how much "lower" Ug is than Race, or that Race would kick his ass in a fight. Sure, in the introduction we see Ug running from a dinosaur that Race one-shots with a sniper rifle, but that's Race with a sniper rifle. Race was equally impressed when Ug managed to get onto and tame a mammoth and ride it around. Ug seemed close to peak Human physically, and was pulling off some impressive movement abilities. It'd be sort of like comparing Tarzan and James Bond. Both are serious badasses who can beat the tar out of multiple goons, with one being more physically impressive and geared towards outdoors survival/animal handling, the other for modern superspy stuff (guns, piloting, etc.).

proditor

Post by proditor »

Ares wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 8:06 pm
Regarding Ug vs Race, I'm not really sure how much "lower" Ug is than Race, or that Race would kick his ass in a fight. Sure, in the introduction we see Ug running from a dinosaur that Race one-shots with a sniper rifle, but that's Race with a sniper rifle. Race was equally impressed when Ug managed to get onto and tame a mammoth and ride it around. Ug seemed close to peak Human physically, and was pulling off some impressive movement abilities. It'd be sort of like comparing Tarzan and James Bond. Both are serious badasses who can beat the tar out of multiple goons, with one being more physically impressive and geared towards outdoors survival/animal handling, the other for modern superspy stuff (guns, piloting, etc.).
Oh Ug definitely hits harder, and has the capacity to do more raw damage. But Race is trained in unarmed combat. Extensively. That's why I have Ug at the next tier in my thinking. Admittedly, a lot of that comes from being a martial arts dilettante in real life, but I've seen skill overcome power in a lot of RL situations, and I think that's how it would go here. Of course, you could always just give Ug +2 to his unarmed, and they're about equal. I mean, this is just my take on the guy. :)

I think they both have their areas of expertise, and were I in a jungle I'd opt to hang with Ug, but pretty much anywhere else, I'm hanging with Bannon.

EDIT: Though Ug might be the superior wingman...Race would be way too distracting based on the cartoons and comics.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

I also happen to quietly love that Ug and Race have the same voice actor. (I watched a couple when Ares linked 'em.)

Also, from the pages shown to us, can we just appreciate that Ug's got some pretty darn good insight in that he "grokked" Todd answering his introduction? (I keep scrolling back to those pages.)
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
proditor

Post by proditor »

Skaramine wrote: Thu May 18, 2017 9:30 pm I also happen to quietly love that Ug and Race have the same voice actor. (I watched a couple when Ares linked 'em.)

Also, from the pages shown to us, can we just appreciate that Ug's got some pretty darn good insight in that he "grokked" Todd answering his introduction? (I keep scrolling back to those pages.)
Those panels have me questioning his Insight levels. I'm pondering upping it a little from 4, but I'm still undecided.

The one thing that has really come through for me on these builds, is that I find myself going "Well, I guess I have to reread all 12 issues to really get that character's arc down." and of course, not minding one bit.