Jab's Dinosaur Builds!: Argentinosaurus! Mokele-Mbembe!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Spectrum

Re: Jab's Animal Builds (Wolverine! Mongooses! Civets & Genets!)

Post by Spectrum »

Growing up we had a dog that turned into a major jerk.
It got to the point where my parents took him to 'a farm'.
To this day, they are really adamant that they really took him to a farm.
I still suspect otherwise.
Jerk.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Shock

Re: Binturong

Post by Shock »

Spectrum wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:37 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:57 am BINTURONG (Arctictis binturong)
Role:
Asian Bearcat
Is this a dropbear?
No, that won't come until K
Jabroniville

Wildcat

Post by Jabroniville »

WILDCAT (Felis sylvestris)
Role:
Domestic's Ancestor
PL 3 (50)- Minion Rank 4, Sidekick Rank 10
Normal Version:
PL 0-1
STRENGTH -3 STAMINA -2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -2

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+9)
Athletics 10 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 4 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 5 (+6)
Insight 1 (+2)
Intimidation 4 (+0)
Perception 4 (+5)
Stealth 0 (+3, +11 Size)

Advantages:
Attractive (to those who like Cute things), Close Attack, Evasion, Fast Grab, Grab Finesse, Improved Initiative, Prone Fighting, Seize Initiative, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]
Speed 2 (4 mph) [2]

"Cat Agility"
"Righting Reflex" Immunity 5 (Falling Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2.5]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

"Tiny Size" Shrinking 8 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) -- (1 foot) [17]
(-2 Strength, +4 Defenses, +8 Stealth, -4 Intimidation, -1 Speed)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (-3 Damage, DC 12)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness -2, Fortitude +0, Will +3

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Cats cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Reputation (Jerk)- Cats can be very mean, and often take a while to warm up to an individual. Most strongly prefer the gender of their owner.
Reputation (Pride)- Cats will not take orders, and cannot carry out commands. It is beneath them. As are you, filthy hyooman.

Total: Abilities: -2 / Skills: 35--17.5 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 27.5 / Defenses: 4 (50)

Era: Modern
Range: Africa & Eurasia.
Stereotypes: Cruel, insincere, imperious. Lazy.
Colouring: Black, white, orange, brown, tan, grey with various patterns
Size: Up to 3 feet long (6-18 lbs.)
Encounter Groups: Solitary, pet, cat-lady bunch (5-100), feral gangs (4-200)
Diet: Cat food, rodents, birds
Tactics: Silent stalking, followed by pounce. Often plays with food before lethal cord-severing neck bite.

-Wildcats are the ancestors of modern domestic species, and are surprisingly little-known, given how widespread their descendants are.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Shock wrote: Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:31 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 12:57 am BINTURONG (Arctictis binturong)
Role:
Asian Bearcat
Is this a dropbear?
I don't get it.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 11:06 am

Is this a dropbear?
I don't get it.
Neither do I. Koala maybe?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Spectrum wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:51 pm

I don't get it.
The Drop Bear is a fictitious koala-based creature used by Australian natives to tell scary tales to tourists. It is supposedly some kind of carnivorous attack koala that prefers to prey on those who do not speak with an Australian accent. Locals use these stories to convince tourists to engage in various bizarre behavior, supposedly to ward off possible drop bear attack.

I only know this from reading up on them to support my street-level 'leaping hero' who used "Drop Bear" as her code name...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_bear
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

pathfinderq1 wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:09 pm
Spectrum wrote: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:51 pm

I don't get it.
The Drop Bear is a fictitious koala-based creature used by Australian natives to tell scary tales to tourists. It is supposedly some kind of carnivorous attack koala that prefers to prey on those who do not speak with an Australian accent. Locals use these stories to convince tourists to engage in various bizarre behavior, supposedly to ward off possible drop bear attack.

I only know this from reading up on them to support my street-level 'leaping hero' who used "Drop Bear" as her code name...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drop_bear
ah, OK- I know of the myth (I mention it a lot in my old "Thylacoleo" build, as it could very well have been the inspiration for the creature), but I didn't get the "K" reference.
Jabroniville

Small Wild Cats

Post by Jabroniville »

Asian Golden Cat.

SMALL WILD CATS
Role:
Tiny Death Machine
PL 3 (51)- Minion Rank 4, Sidekick Rank 11
Normal Version:
PL 0-1
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+9)
Athletics 10 (+7)
Insight 1 (+2)
Intimidation 4 (+0)
Perception 4 (+5)
Stealth 0 (+3, +11 Size)

Advantages:
Attractive (to those who like Cute things), Close Attack, Evasion, Fast Grab, Grab Finesse, Improved Initiative, Prone Fighting, Seize Initiative, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 5 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent, Extended & Ultra-Hearing) [5]
Speed 2 (4 mph) [2]
"Spotted Coat" Enhanced Skills 3: Stealth 3 (+14) (Flaws: Limited to Within Forested Regions) [1]

"Cat Agility"
"Righting Reflex" Immunity 5 (Falling Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [2.5]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

Offense:
Initiative +7

Defenses:

Complications:
Disabled (Animal)- Cats cannot speak to humans, nor use their paws to easily manipulate objects.
Reputation (Jerk)- Cats can be very mean, and often take a while to warm up to an individual. Most strongly prefer the gender of their owner.
Reputation (Pride)- Cats will not take orders, and cannot carry out commands. It is beneath them. As are you, filthy hyooman.

Total: Abilities: -2 / Skills: 35--17.5 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 28.5 / Defenses: 4 (51)

Range: Africa & Eurasia.
Colouring: Black, white, orange, brown, tan, grey with various patterns
Size: Up to 3 feet long (6-18 lbs.)
Encounter Groups: Solitary, pet, cat-lady bunch (5-100), feral gangs (4-200)
Diet: Cat food, rodents, birds
Tactics: Silent stalking, followed by pounce. Often plays with food before lethal cord-severing neck bite.

-This build represents the wide, wide spectrum of small Wild Cats that live throughout the world, largely in Asia & Africa. These animals are almost uniformly tiny (some VERY much so- smaller than even housecats), very rare, and almost unknown to science. The size and stealth of these shy animals means that we often know next to nothing about their ecology, hunting patterns, mating rituals, and even diet!

Small Cats:
ASIAN GOLDEN CAT: These pretty-looking 20-35 lb. cats live in Southeast Asia. They can and will kill prey much larger than themselves, such as Water Buffalo calves.
AFRICAN GOLDEN CAT: These cats are often spotted, and are closely related to the Serval & Caracal. They eat small birds and mammals, including Tree Hyrax. They're about 12-35 lbs.
BAY CAT: These are slender, short-eared, endangered cats from Borneo. Very little is known about them, but they're suspected to be about 6-9 lbs. They are forest-dependent in one of the most rapidly-deforested places on Earth, which is why they're so endangered.

BLACK-FOOTED CAT: The smallest cat in Africa, these are only 3-5 lbs. on average! They live in arid steppes & savannahs in the southern part of Africa, and probably split off from the Felidae line second, after the Jungle Cat. Named for its black foot-pads.
JUNGLE CAT: Pan-Asian cat that also lives in bits of Africa- the breed that split off from the lineage first. They are very sandy/reddish-brown, and weigh about 4-35 lbs.
CHINESE MOUNTAIN CAT: A very fuzzy, bushy-tailed Chinese cat, very rare and known only from six zoo specimens and a few skins until about 2007. They weigh about 14-20 lbs.

SAND CAT: These tiny 3-7 lb. cats live across arid and desert regions across Africa and the Middle East. They are very susceptible to respiratory infections in more temperate, damp regions, and so have to be kept carefully in zoos.

LEOPARD CAT: These spotted cats have been bred with domestic breeds to create the Bengal Cat. They are more slender, longer-legged, and a bit wilder than domestics, and live throughout Southeast Asia. They vary a lot in size, weighing from 1-20 lbs.
SUNDA LEOPARD CAT: A Javan cat a bit distinct from the standard Leopard Cat.

FLAT-HEADED CAT: An adorbz, tiny wildcat native to the Malaysian Peninsula, these are highly Endangered (only 2,500 mature adults remain). They're named for the "extreme depression" of their skull- they have strong jaws and long, sharp teeth, ideally used for capturing fish. They're about 3-6 lbs.

RUSTY-SPOTTED CAT: These brownish, tabby-colored cats hail from India & Sri Lanka- at only 2-3.5 lbs., they are Asia's smallest wild cat, and rival the Black-Footed Cat for the title of world's smallest.

MARBLED CAT: These cats have really beautiful rosettes, resembling the Clouded Leopard's. They hail from the Himalayas, living at high altitudes, and are about 4-11 lbs.

Called "The original Grumpy Cat" for a reason.

PALLAS'S CAT: These hilariously grumpy-looking cats hail from western Asia, and have low, flat heads and wild, grizzled fur- it's a comedic look, overall. 5-9 lbs., they hunt mostly small mammals.
FISHING CAT: These grey-ish cats are from South Asia, and are medium-sized- 11-35 lbs. They have webbed feet and very little exposed claw, making them ideal for aquatic hunting.

ONCILLA: Resembling the Margay & Ocelot, the Oncilla is a small (3-7 lb.) cat with numerous rosettes that lives in South America. It's also called the Tiger Cat & Tigrillo.
SOUTHERN TIGER CAT (Tigrina): Looking like the Oncilla, but slightly darker, this lives on the eastern part of South America. Often interbreeds with the Geoffroy's Cat.
ANDEAN MOUNTAIN CAT: Very floofy (to use the scientific term) gray cat from the Andean mountains in South America. They max out at around 12 lbs.

KODKOD: The fuzzy, spotted, distinctively-named Kodkod hails from Chile, and is the smallest cat of the Americas, weighing about 4-5 lbs.
GEOFFROY'S CAT: About as big as a domestic cat (4-11 lbs.), they have dark spots. Unlike most of these, it is very common and thriving. They were named for a French zoologist.

PAMPAS CAT: Looking like a very grizzled housecat, the Pampas Cat lives throughout South America.
Davies

Re: Jab's Animal Builds (Binturong! Fossa! Housecat! Wildcat!)

Post by Davies »

From the sound of it, you could also use this for Japan's critically endangered Iriomote cat, best known for its appearances in Azumanga Daioh.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Davies wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:22 am From the sound of it, you could also use this for Japan's critically endangered Iriomote cat, best known for its appearances in Azumanga Daioh.
Yep- they're a supspecies of Leopard Cat, but I forgot to add them to the total.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

BLACK-FOOTED CAT: The smallest cat in Africa, these are only 3-5 lbs. on average! They live in arid steppes & savannahs in the southern part of Africa, and probably split off from the Felidae line second, after the Jungle Cat. Named for its black foot-pads.
Also Considered one of the deadliest predators on the planet
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

Jaguarundi

Post by Jabroniville »

JAGUARUNDI (Herpailurus yagouaroundi)
Role:
Tiny Death Machine, Weasel-Like Cat
PL 3 (50)- Minion Rank 4, Sidekick Rank 10
Normal Version:
PL 0-1
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+9)
Athletics 10 (+7)
Insight 1 (+2)
Intimidation 4 (+0)
Perception 4 (+5)
Stealth 0 (+3, +11 Size)

Advantages:

Powers:
Speed 2 (4 mph) [2]

"Cat Agility"
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

Offense:
Initiative +7

Defenses:

Complications:

Total: Abilities: -2 / Skills: 35--17.5 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 27.5 / Defenses: 4 (50)

Range: Central & South America.
Stereotypes: None.
Colouring: Red, gray.
Size: Up to 3 feet long (8-15 lbs.)
Encounter Groups: Solitary or pairs.
Diet: Rodents, birds

-Among the more odd and unusual-looking cats, the obscure Jaguarundi is a small South American wildcat, looking slender and elongated like a member of the Weasel family. Also unusually, they are more active by day, hunting small animals on the ground in a variety of habitats, including scrub, rainforest, desert and savanna. Twice as large as a housecat, they max out around 15 lbs., and are most closely related to Cougars & Cheetahs.
Jabroniville

Margay

Post by Jabroniville »

MARGAY
Role:
Tiny Death Machine, Mega-Climber
PL 3 (52)- Minion Rank 4, Sidekick Rank 11
Normal Version:
PL 0-1
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+9)
Athletics 10 (+7)
Insight 1 (+2)
Intimidation 4 (+0)
Perception 4 (+5)
Stealth 0 (+3, +11 Size)

Advantages:

Powers:
Speed 2 (4 mph) [2]
"Spotted Coat" Enhanced Skills 3: Stealth 3 (+14) (Flaws: Limited to Within Forested Regions) [1]
"Limbs Turning Around" Enhanced Skills 3: Acrobatics 3 (+12) (Flaws: Limited to Climbing) [1]

"Cat Agility"
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

Offense:
Initiative +7

Defenses:

Complications:

Total: Abilities: -2 / Skills: 35--17.5 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 29.5 / Defenses: 4 (52)

Range: Central & South America.
Colouring: Tan with dark rosettes
Size: Up to 3 feet long (4-8 lbs.)
Encounter Groups: Solitary.
Diet: Rodents, birds, small monkeys.

-Margays greatly resemble the larger Ocelots, and are 4-8 lb. micro-predators from South America. Unusually, they are capable of turning their paws around, making them one of the few cat species skilled at climbing upside-down (curved claws are generally bad at this). A Margay has been observed mimicking the calls of Tamarins to enable better hunting- highly rare behavior in cats.
Jabroniville

Holy shit! You guys! Look at all his little spots!

Post by Jabroniville »

OH MY GOD A BABY OCELOT I WANT ONE I WANT ONE I WANT ONNNNNNNNNNNE!!!

OCELOT (Felis pardalis)
Role:
Jungle Carnivore
PL 4 (77)- Minion Rank 5, Sidekick Rank 16
Normal Version:
PL 2-3
STRENGTH -1 STAMINA 1 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 3 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+9)
Athletics 12 (+11)
Close Combat (Natural Weapons) 4 (+7)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+7)
Intimidation 7 (+3 Size)
Perception 7 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+13 Size)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Chokehold, Evasion, Fast Grab, Grab Finesse, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Prone Fighting, Seize Initiative, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
Speed 4 (16 mph) [4]
"Natural Weapons- Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +2 [2]
"Jungle-Dweller" Movement (Environmental Adaptation- Jungles) [2]
"Supreme Climbers" Enhanced Skills 4: Athletics 4 (+15) (Flaws: Limited to Climbing) [1]

"Cat Agility"
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

"Small Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
(-1 Strength & Speed, +2 Defenses, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation)

Offense:
Unarmed +3 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Claws & Teeth +7 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +1, Fortitude +3, Will +5

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 8 / Skills: 45--22.5 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 28.5 / Defenses: 7 (77)

Range: Mexico & South America
Stereotypes: None (too unknown).
Colouring: Tan with numerous rosettes.
Size: Up to 3.3 feet long (20-35 lbs.)
Diet: Small deer, rodents, bats, lizards, fish, monkeys- generally anything small and meaty.
Tactics: Silent stalking, followed by pounce. Chokes or severs the spinal cord.

-The Ocelot is a small wildcat from South America & Mexico- their amazing coat makes them among the coolest-looking of all animals. The largest thing they can kill is small deer and Anteaters, though. They are easily mistaken for Margays & Oncillas, but are much larger. They are solitary and crepuscular creatures, and may fight to the death to defend their territories. They are often stereotyped as pets for peculiar rich folks, as Salvador Dali had a pet ocelot named Babou (for which the ocelot in Archer is named)- they are extremely active and demanding of their owners' attention by comparison to other cats, and can be quite destructive. Despite that, they're among the most adorbz things ever, especially as babies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEorZqv7eZw. When my sister and I went to the Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle, she freaked out over the face of the one ocelot on exhibit.

-Ocelots are the mid-pointed between the other Wildcats and larger animals like Lynxes and Cheetahs. As such, they're PL 4.
Jabroniville

Serval

Post by Jabroniville »

SERVAL (Leptailurus serval)
Role:
Grasslands Carnivore
PL 5 (77)- Minion Rank 5, Sidekick Rank 16
Normal Version:
PL 3-4
STRENGTH -1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 4 DEXTERITY 0

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+9)
Athletics 10 (+9)
Close Combat (Natural Weapons) 4 (+8)
Expertise (Survival) 6 (+7)
Intimidation 7 (+3 Size)
Perception 7 (+8)
Stealth 4 (+13 Size)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Chokehold, Evasion, Fast Grab, Grab Finesse, Improved Critical (Natural Weapons), Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Prone Fighting, Seize Initiative, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
Speed 4 (16 mph) [4]
"Natural Weapons- Claws & Teeth" Strength-Damage +3 [3]

"Cat Agility"
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

"Small Size" Shrinking 4 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) [9]
(-1 Strength & Speed, +2 Defenses, +4 Stealth, -2 Intimidation)

Offense:
Unarmed +4 (-1 Damage, DC 14)
Claws & Teeth +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +7 (DC 17), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +2, Fortitude +3, Will +5

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 12 / Skills: 43--21.5 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 26.5 / Defenses: 6 (77)

Range: Africa
Stereotypes: None (too unknown).
Colouring: Tawny with black spots
Size: Up to 3.3 feet long (20-40 lbs.)
Diet: Rodents, rabbits & hares
Tactics: Silent stalking, followed by pounce. Chokes or severs the spinal cord.

-Servals are closely-related to Caracals, and occupy Africa as well, but are spotted cats with extremely long legs relative to their bodies. Like Caracals, they are fairly common and wide-ranging, and mostly hunt small rodents, which their long legs help them attack, as they loom over long grasses. They have partially been "domesticated" via breeding with Domestic Cats, creating the giant-sized, vicious, semi-wild Savannah Cat breed.