Solar's Build Thread - The In-Between-Updates Update!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
SolarOracle

The Boku no Hero Academia Update... IS HERE!

Post by SolarOracle »

So... been a while, huh? Sorry 'bout that, got kind of caught up with schoolwork and stuff, and I had to do a few more revisions than I expected for the builds I had. Good news is, I'm now finally free and I'll start posting them tomorrow!

So, let me ramble a bit about BnHA.

OK, so, after the huge popularity boom of American Superhero-themed manga that began with One Punch Man (I think, not sure about that tho), Boku no Hero Academia (or My Hero Academia for those who are fortunate enough to be less weebshit than me, LOL) is definitely the most famous one. It is a really amazing series, probably one of my favorite weekly manga to follow, as I've been following it since 2015 or so, and was hyped beyond belief when the anime adaptation was announced. It has really good artwork and a super good story, that follows and expands the clichés of Shonen manga quite a bit, as well as a very clear and deep admiration for american superhero comics, which are referenced in the story frequently and that the mangaka, Horikoshi Kohei, has been pretty outspoken about.

The characters are, generally, very "simple", I guess is the best way to describe them. Like, you can tell what they are all about by just your first impression, which doesn't mean they don't have depth, of course, but that their personalities tend to rely strongly on one aspect of them. That is pretty intresting to me, as most manga I like as much as this series tend to have complicated characters that you gotta study quite a bit to comprehend. The characters in Boku no Hero are very strong, to the point that the story feels insanely organic, almost as if the author just left them there and let the story kind of write itself, and I REALLY love that. The tone the story has is generally one that is very "hopeful", I think is the best way to decribe it, but has some pretty dark moments at time.

The story follows Midoriya, a young boy born without powers (called "quirks" in the setting) in a world where about 80% of people have them. He dreamt of being a hero like his idol All Might (a sort of Superman pastiche in the setting - guy with super strength that seems to be undefeated. The "Symbol of Peace"), but got that dream completely crushed by the fact he had no quirk. He still held a small hope of somehow becoming a hero, but everything and everyone around him kept reminding him of how impossible that was, like his childhood friend Bakugo, a very passionate guy who is extremely talented at virtually everything he does and that has the power to create explosions from his body at will, who bullied Midoriya constantly during their late childhood due to him not giving up on his seemingly impossible dream, culminating to the point Bakugo tells him to kill himself. Midoriya eventually meets up with All Might by pure luck, who, like all others, tells Midoriya to give up on his dream. However, things finally take a turn in Midoriya's favor, when he recklessly tries to rescue Bakugo from a villain attack. All Might, who sees Midoriya's bravery, tells him that his powers could be transfered to him due to the nature of how his quirk, One For All, works. He begins training Midoriya, who, after a lot of training, inherits All Might's power and manages to enter into U.A. High School, the best superhero school in Japan, where he meets with his new friends and begins to train his powers even further. Fighting, insanely cool action and other shonen manga clichés ensue.

OK, rambling done. Can't recomend the series enough, the anime adaptation is very well made and has virtually no filler (which is a huge plus, as most shonen anime are completely plagued by them), so I recomend giving that a watch if any of what I said sounded cool to you. Builds will begin tomorrow, like I had said. Hope you all look forward to it! Plus Ultra, and all that!
Last edited by SolarOracle on Tue May 26, 2020 2:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Solar's Build Thread - Boku no Hero Academia Update

Post by Ares »

MHA is pretty much my favorite ongoing superhero book right now. It's where I've had to go after the mess DC and Marvel made of themselves. Frankly, I LOVE this book, and while it's not perfect, the author clearly gets superheroes and the concept of heroism. They actually play with a lot of Shonen tropes, where the main hero's desire to be the best can have harmful, self-destructive aspects, and shows how even "the rival" can have feet of clay. Midoriya and All Might are my favorites by far, and it's amazing watching Midoriya's progress. I'm very much looking forward to these builds.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Neat-o! I keep hoping that somebody will do a very thorough "stat all the people" about this manga so that I can get a better sense of what it's about, and here you are :). I'll be watching this closely, then!
SolarOracle

Can't Stop Twinkling

Post by SolarOracle »

Aoyama Yuga (Beginning/Around USJ Arc)

Identity: Aoyama Yuga, Public Identity.
Height: 1.68 meters.
Weight: Unknown.
Eyes: Indigo.
Hair: Blonde.
Skin: Fair.
Quirk Type: Emitter.
Group: U.A. High School class 1-A.
Base of Operations: Japan, Tokyo, Musutafu City.

Power Level 5 - 47 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 0, Agility 0, Fighting 2, Awareness 0
Stamina 2, Dexterity 1, Intellect 0, Presence 0

Powers
Quirk - Navel Laser
Ranged Damage 6 (Flaws: Limited to being used every other turn or damaging user’s insides). (6) -- [7]
  • AE: Propel With Laser: Flight 2 (16 Km/H or 8 MpH) (Flaws: Limited to being used every other turn or damaging user’s insides, Extended Action - Standard Action). (1)
Support Item - Sparkle Belt: (Flaws: Removable). [1]
Feature: Doesn’t allow Navel Laser to shoot against the user’s will. (1)

Advantages
Ranged Attack

Skills
Athletics 2 (+2 total).
Deception 3 (+3 total).
Expertise (Student) 2 (+2 total).
Insight 5 (+5 total).
Perception 4 (+4 total).
Persuasion 4 (+4 total).
Ranged Combat (Navel Laser) 2 (+4 total).

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed +2, close damage 0.
Navel Laser +4, ranged damage 6.

Defense
Dodge 4, Fortitude 7, Parry 7, Toughness 2, Will 3

Complications

Motivation: To Become a Hero!: Aoyama is studying at U.A. High School's hero course, aiming to one day become a hero, much like his classmates. What type of hero he desires to be and why has been left unexplained.

Involuntary Activation: Aoyama’s quirk sometimes activates without him willing it, shooting a laser from his navel. His parents gave him a specially designed belt, known as the Sparkle Belt, that prevents those occasional lasers from shooting out, but if Aoyama is ever without it, it may cause trouble for him.

Self-Damaging: If Navel Laser is used for two rounds or more in a row, Aoyama’s stomach begins to hurt.

Inferiority Complex: Because of the occasional involuntary activation of his quirk, Aoyama always felt like he had a “broken quirk”, feeling like he is weaker than his classmates despite having quite the powerful quirk and panicking and hiding or running away instead of fighting. This caused him to develop a persona where he acts snobbish and like he is better than those around him.

10 Abilities, 8 Powers, 1 Advantages, 11 Skills, 17 Defenses = 47 Character Points

About: Aoyama is very flamboyant and elegant in a very exagerated way, to the point his hero name is "Can't Stop Twinkling". He sometimes uses French expressions for seemingly no reason, and always has a smug smile on his face, as well as having shiny blonde hair and very unique eyes, which all add to his "elegant" persona, but his classmates generally are unphased by him and his provocations and just ignore him. Later on, we discover that Aoyama is actually very insecure of himself because of his quirk, Navel Laser, which allows him to shoot an energy beam from his navel, but is damaging to his insides and sometimes activated against his will, something that is counteracted by his "Sparkle Belt". Aoyama always felt like he had a "broken quirk", and that made him struggle to make friends. He eventually ends up becoming close to Midoriya, and seems to have had some growth as a character since then.

Aoyama is a character that seems to be generally ignored by the story. He doesn't really have any memorable fights and the few character moments he had were outside of battle, or that one time where he used his power as a beacon to alert his classmates of his location, but his enemies as well, something he did with the intent of being a sacrifice, claiming that was the only thing he could be useful for.

Aoyama really grows on you as a character, specially after learning of his insecurities, and I really hope we see more of him in action in the future.

Outfits: We mostly see Aoyama on his school clothing, like most Boku no Hero characters. His hero costume consists of a body armor similar to plate armor, as well as a body suit beneath it, a very shiny blue cape, a belt encrusted into his armor, which is his "Sparkle Belt", and very large red glasses that are shaped as wings. His costume is mostly medieval-Europe inspired, and seems to be made with the intent of him accentuating his vision of "elegance".

Shining Hero: Can’t Stop Twinkling (Midway/Around Provisional License Exam Arc)

Base of Operations: Japan, Tokyo, Musutafu City, Heights Alliance 1-A Dormitory.

Power Level 6 - 64 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 0, Agility 0, Fighting 3, Awareness 0
Stamina 2, Dexterity 1, Intellect 0, Presence 0

Powers
Quirk - Navel Laser
Super Move! - Navel Laser Buffet: Ranged Damage 5 (Extras: Multiattack, Split) (Flaws: Limited to being used every other turn or damaging user’s insides). (11) -- [13]
  • AE: Propel With Laser: Flight 2 (16 Km/H or 8 MpH) (Flaws: Quirk - User cannot use power three turns in a row without damaging their insides, Extended Action - Standard Action). (1)
  • AE: Ranged Damage 6 (Flaws: Quirk - User cannot use power three turns in a row without damaging their insides). (11)

Advantages
Defensive Roll, Ranged Attack 2

Skills
Athletics 4 (+4 total).
Deception 3 (+3 total).
Insight 5 (+5 total).
Perception 4 (+4 total).
Persuasion 4 (+4 total).
Ranged Combat (Navel Laser) 2 (+5 total).

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed +3, close damage 0.
Navel Laser +5, ranged damage 6.
Navel Laser Buffet +5, ranged damage 5.

Defense
Dodge 7, Fortitude 7, Parry 9, Toughness 2/3*, Will 5
*3 with Defensive Roll

Complications

Motivation: To Become a Hero!: Aoyama is studying at U.A. High School's hero course, aiming to one day become a hero, much like his classmates. What type of hero he desires to be and why has been left unexplained.

Involuntary Activation: Aoyama’s quirk sometimes activates without him willing it, shooting a laser from his navel. His parents gave him a specially designed belt, known as the Sparkle Belt, that prevents those occasional lasers from shooting out, but if Aoyama is ever without it, it may cause trouble for him.

Self-Damaging: If Navel Laser is used for three rounds or more in a row, Aoyama’s stomach begins to hurt. He cannot use Navel Laser Buffet twice in a row without damaging his insides as well, due to it putting a higher strain on him.

Inferiority Complex: Because of the occasional involuntary activation of his quirk, Aoyama always felt like he had a “broken quirk”, feeling like he is weaker than his classmates despite having quite the powerful quirk and panicking and hiding or running away instead of fighting. This caused him to develop a persona where he acts snobbish and like he is better than those around him.

12 Abilities, 14 Powers, 3 Advantages, 12 Skills, 23 Defenses = 64 Character Points

About: A build of Aoyama during the Provisional License Arc. Not that many changes, other than a PL upgrade both offensively and defensively and the addition of a new attack, the Navel Laser Buffet, which is him blasting multiple weaker versions of his laser from his belly and shoulders. I also increased the amount of times Aoyama can use his navel laser, since he trained to be able to use it for a longer period of time without hurting himself.

Shining Hero: Can’t Stop Twinkling (Now/Around Paranormal Libration Front Arc)

Base of Operations: Japan, Tokyo, Musutafu City, Heights Alliance 1-A Dormitory.

Power Level 7 (PL 8 Laser) - 79 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 0, Agility 1, Fighting 3, Awareness 0
Stamina 2, Dexterity 2, Intellect 0, Presence 0

Powers
Quirk - Navel Laser
Super Move! - Navel Laser Buffet: Ranged Damage 5 (Extras: Multiattack, Split) (Flaws: Limited to being used every other turn or damaging user’s insides). (11) -- [13]
  • AE: Propel With Laser: Flight 2 (16 Km/H or 8 MpH) (Flaws: Quirk - User cannot use power three turns in a row without damaging their insides, Extended Action - Standard Action). (1)
  • AE: Ranged Damage 6 (Flaws: Quirk - User cannot use power three turns in a row without damaging their insides). (11)
  • AE: Super Move! - Navel Saber: Damage 6 (Extras: Penetrating 4, Improved Critical). (11)

Advantages
Defensive Roll 2, Ranged Attack 4

Skills
Athletics 4 (+4 total).
Close Attack (Navel Saber) 5 (+8 total).
Deception 3 (+3 total).
Insight 5 (+5 total).
Perception 4 (+4 total).
Persuasion 4 (+4 total).
Ranged Combat (Navel Laser) 3 (+9 total).

Offense
Initiative +1
Unarmed +3, close damage 0.
Navel Saber +8, close damage 6.
Navel Laser +9, ranged damage 6.
Navel Laser Buffet +9, ranged damage 5.

Defense
Dodge 10, Fortitude 7, Parry 11, Toughness 2/4*, Will 7
*4 with Defensive Roll

Complications

Self-Damaging: If Navel Laser is used for three rounds or more in a row, Aoyama’s stomach begins to hurt. He cannot use Navel Laser Buffet twice in a row without damaging his insides as well, due to it putting a higher strain on him.

16 Abilities, 14 Powers, 6 Advantages, 15 Skills, 30 Defenses = 79 Character Points

About: A build meant to represent Aoyama currently. He developed a new super move, the Navel Saber, which is simply a melee attack based on a low emission of his laser, and improved his defenses a bit. His attacks are now PL 7.5, which is actually somewhat high compared to some of his classmates.
Last edited by SolarOracle on Sun May 31, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

A few things about the builds I guess I forgot to mention. I decided to make the attacks as flavorful as possible, to somewhat emulate the general tone of the series, like writing "Super Move!" on their special named moves and writing "Support Item" on the objects the characters use in combat, as that is the in-universe terminology for those. I also wanted to put what kind of hero each character wants to be in their motivation, but I forgot that most characters, other than a few like Midoriya, Bakugo, Todoroki and Mineta, haven't really explained that yet.

And like I mentioned previously, I ended up deciding to do 3 builds for each character of class 1-A, since their growth has mostly been shown to us, but I won't be doing that for other characters. I'm also gonna be posting the builds in the order of the class' roll call.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Very nice build so far. I like the three part style since character growth is actually baked into the setting. MHA is an example of what the New Mutants could have been with time and effort.

Sort of the embodiment of why I love this series was the last film, Heroes Rising. There we see heroes just doing things to help people in ways that had nothing to do with fighting supervillains, just being good, helpful, inspiring individuals. Then when several very powerful villains DO show up, the team uses some great tactics to hold their own and win.

It was basically the best X-Men movie ever made.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

Ares wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 3:55 pm Very nice build so far. I like the three part style since character growth is actually baked into the setting. MHA is an example of what the New Mutants could have been with time and effort.

Sort of the embodiment of why I love this series was the last film, Heroes Rising. There we see heroes just doing things to help people in ways that had nothing to do with fighting supervillains, just being good, helpful, inspiring individuals. Then when several very powerful villains DO show up, the team uses some great tactics to hold their own and win.

It was basically the best X-Men movie ever made.
Thanks, man! Doing it in 3 parts like that was very time consuming, but I feel like it adds quite a bit to the builds.

Heroes Rising was a fantastic watch, specially compared to the Two Heroes film, which wasn't very good in my opinion. Really hope they make more great movies in the future.
SolarOracle

Pinky

Post by SolarOracle »

Ashido Mina (Beginning/Around USJ Arc)

Identity: Ashido Mina, Public Identity.
Height: 1.59 Meters.
Eyes: Yellow, with black scleras.
Hair: Pink.
Skin: Pink.

Power Level 6 - 66 Character Points

Abilities
Stamina 3, Dexterity 0, Intellect 0, Presence 2

Powers
Quirk - Acid
Damage 3 (Extras: Affects Objects), linked to Weaken (Toughness) 5 (Extras: Affects Objects). [16]

Skate on Slippery Acid: Speed 1 (8 Km/H or 4 MpH). [1]
Melt Holes for Climbing: Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling). [2]

Advantages
Close Attack 3, Improved Initiative

Skills
Athletics 4 (+4 total).
Deception 3 (+5 total).
Expertise (Dancing) 8 (+8 total).
Expertise (Student) 1 (+1 total).
Insight 2 (+2 total).
Perception 3 (+3 total).
Persuasion 5 (+7 total).

Offense
Initiative +4
Unarmed +6, close damage 0.
Acid +6, close damage 3, Weaken (Toughness), Toughness DC 15.

Defense
Dodge 5, Fortitude 5, Parry 8, Toughness 3, Will 2

Complications

Motivation: To Become a Hero!: Ashido is studying at U.A. High School's hero course, aiming to one day become a hero, much like her classmates. What type of hero she desires to be and why has been left unexplained.

Deadly Quirk: Ashido’s quirk can easily kill or permanently disfigure a person, and that makes her nervous when fighting human opponents.

Pink Skin: Ashido’s quirk caused her to have pink skin and a small pair of horns for some unexplained reason. That causes her to stand out in a crowd, even among other strangely shaped humans.

16 Abilities, 19 Powers, 4 Advantages, 13 Skills, 14 Defenses = 66 Character Points

About: Ashido is an easygoing and cheerful person, being probably one of the most sociable and approachable people in her class. She is very strightforward and honest, and has a very high social skill in general, being friends with most people in her class, specially the girls, apparently. She's actually childhood friends with Kirishima, one of her classmates, and was a pretty big factor on his decision to become a hero.

Ashido's quirk, like the terrible pun in her name implies, is the power to create acid from her skin, which she applies in many different manners, considering that she can control the viscosity and general strength of the acid she creates, using it to skate on the ground, attack opponents and stuff like melting holes in walls so she can climb them. Her hero name was originally going to be "Ridley Hero: Alien Queen", a reference to the Aliens franchise, but that one got vetoed and she was forced to settle for Pinky. Her quirk makes her skin pink, for some reason, which makes her stand out quite a bit.

Ashido hasn't really had that many fights until now, but has been a pretty notable asset on the ones she was involved in, like the Class A vs. Class B training fight, or her fight exam with Kaminari against the school's principal, Nezu. I hope she has some more character moments in the future, as until now, she has mostly been a very prominent background character. Oh, she also taught people to dance on the School Festival arc, so I guess that counts for something in terms of being prominent.

Outfits: Like her classmates, Ashido is usually seen with her school uniform. Her hero outfit is a very brightly and sort-of psychodelically colored bodysuit, as well as a sleeveless tan coat with fluffy white fur on the shoulders, with a plain white mask on her face covering her eyes and a pair of knee-high red and tan boots. It seems like the intent of her costume is to make her look alien-like, but I'm not sure about that.

Pinky (Midway/Around Provisional License Arc)

Skin: Pink;

Power Level 6 - 80 Character Points

Abilities

Powers
Quirk - Acid
Damage 4 (Extras: Affects Objects), linked to Weaken (Toughness) 6 (Extras: Affects Objects). (20) -- [21]
  • AE: Super Move! - Acid Veil: Deflect 6. (6)

Advantages
Close Attack 3, Defensive Roll, Improved Critical (Acid), Improved Initiative

Skills
Athletics 6 (+6 total).
Deception 3 (+5 total).
Insight 2 (+2 total).
Perception 5 (+5 total).
Persuasion 7 (+9 total).

Offense
Initiative +4
Acid +6, close damage 4, Weaken (Toughness), Toughness DC 16, critical 19-20.

Defense
Dodge 7, Fortitude 6, Parry 8, Toughness 3/4*, Will 4
*4 with Defensive Roll.

Complications

Motivation: To Become a Hero!: Ashido is studying at U.A. High School's hero course, aiming to one day become a hero, much like her classmates. What type of hero she desires to be and why has been left unexplained.

Deadly Quirk: Ashido’s quirk can easily kill or permanently disfigure a person, and that makes her nervous when fighting human opponents.

Pink Skin: Ashido’s quirk caused her to have pink skin and a small pair of horns for some unexplained reason. That causes her to stand out in a crowd, even among other strangely shaped humans.

16 Abilities, 24 Powers, 5 Advantages, 16 Skills, 19 Defenses = 80 Character Points

About: A build of Ashido during the Provisional License Arc. She gains a 0.5 PL advancement here, with her acid quirk seemingly becoming stronger. I don’t think she trained the accuracy of her attacks, however, so I did not increase her close attack rank or fighting score. Her defenses also advanced a bit, making them PL 6 too. Other than that, she gained a super move, the Acid Veil, which is a deflect effect she used to protect Mineta during the Provisional License Arc.

Pinky (Now/Around Paranormal Liberation Front Arc)

Skin: Pink;

Power Level 8 - 126 Character Points

Abilities

Powers
Quirk - Acid
Super Move! - Acidman: Impervious Protection 10, linked to Reaction Damage 5, linked to Reaction Weaken (Toughness) 7. (58) -- [61]
  • AE: Super Move! - Acid shot: Ranged Damage Damage 5 (Extras: Affects Objects, Multiattack), linked to Ranged Weaken (Toughness) 7 (Extras: Affects Objects, Multiattack). (48)
  • AE: Damage 6 (Extras: Affects Objects), linked to Weaken (Toughness) 8 (Extras: Affects Objects). (28)
  • AE: Super Move! - Acid Veil: Deflect 8. (8)

Advantages
Close Attack 5, Defensive Roll 2, Improved Critical (Acid), Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 4

Skills
Athletics 6 (+6 total).
Deception 4 (+6 total).
Insight 3 (+3 total).
Perception 5 (+5 total).
Persuasion 8 (+10 total).
Ranged Combat (Acid Shot) 3 (+7 total).

Offense
Initiative +4
Unarmed +8, close damage 0.
Acid +8, close damage 6, Weaken (Toughness), Toughness DC 18, critical 19-20.
Acid Shot +6, ranged damage 5, linked to Weaken (Toughness), Toughness DC 18, critical 19-20.

Defense
Dodge 9, Fortitude 6, Parry 10, Toughness 3/5*, Will 5
*5 with Defensive Roll.

Complications

16 Abilities, 64 Powers, 12 Advantages, 19 Skills, 24 Defenses = 126 Character Points

About: A build of Ashido currently in the manga. She developed a few super moves, like Acid Shot, a ranged attack with her acid, and the defensive technique Acidman, which is her involving her body with viscous acid that becomes humanoid shaped and moves along with her to allow her to melt incoming attacks, a super move she created inspired by Kirishima’s “Unbreakable”. She is now a PL 7.5 defensively and a PL 8 offensively, except for her Acid Shot attack, with which she doesn’t have as good aim with as her other attacks, making it a PL 7 attack.
Last edited by SolarOracle on Sun May 31, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Alien Queen would have been a MUCH more awesome code name. Darn you Midnight.

SolarOracle

Froppy

Post by SolarOracle »

Asui Tsuyu (Beginning/Around USJ Arc)

Identity: Asui Tsuyu, Public Identity.
Height: 1.50 Meters.
Eyes: Black.
Hair: Dark Green.
Quirk Type: Mutant.
Group: U.A. Highschool class 1-A.

Power Level 5 - 79 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 0, Agility 2, Fighting 4, Awareness 1
Stamina 2, Dexterity 0, Intellect 1, Presence 0

Powers
Quirk - Frog
Frog-like Physiology: Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling). [2]
Leaping 3 (15 Meters or 60 feet). [3]
Swimming 2 (4 Km/H or 2 MpH). [2]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation - Aquatic). [2]
Feature 1: May keep small objects inside her stomach. [1]
Feature 1: Can produce a mucus with a distinctive scent from her arms. [1]

Prehensile Tongue: Extra Limbs 1. [1]
Elongation 3 (Flaws: Limited to tongue). [1.5]
Increased Strength 2 (Flaws:Limited to tongue). [2]
Enhanced Advantages - Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Fast Grab, Improved Trip (Flaws: Limited to tongue). [2]

Advantages
Assessment, Close Attack 2, Evasion, Improved Initiative, Move-by-Action, Teamwork

Skills
Acrobatics 4 (+6 total).
Athletics 5 (+5 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8 total).
Expertise (Student) 8 (+9 total).
Insight 4 (+5 total).
Perception 6 (+7 total).
Persuasion 4 (+4 total).
Stealth 4 (+6 total).

Offense
Initiative +6
Unarmed +8, close damage 0.
Tongue +8, close damage 2.

Defense
Dodge 8, Fortitude 4, Parry 8, Toughness 2, Will 5

Complications

Motivation: To Become a Hero!: Asui is studying at U.A. High School's hero course, aiming to one day become a hero, much like her classmates. What type of hero she desires to be and why has been left unexplained.

Hibernation: Because of her quirk, when Asui has prolonged exposure to cold temperatures, her body will become sluggish and drowsy, slowly falling asleep.

20 Abilities, 17.5 Powers, 7 Advantages, 18.5 Skills, 16 Defenses = 79 Character Points

About: The older sister on a family of 3, Asui's parents were always really busy and she would oftenly take care of her younger sister and brother, making her be a very responsible person, prioritising doing the right thing and rarely ever acting in a rash or impulsive manner. Asui is a calm and very friendly person, asking those she considers close to her to call her by Tsuyu instead of Asui, something that shows intimacy in Japanese culture. Asui is very tactical and smart, both in and out of combat, making her a very good asset in battle.

One of Asui's most memorable moments is probably how shaken she felt after Bakugo being rescued, with her originally having opposed them rescuing him as it would be an impulsive and risky thing to do. After Midoriya and the others ignored her and decided to rescue him anyways, she felt extremely bad about herself, having felt like she mistreated her friends and crying during her apology to them.

Asui is one of the most popular Boku no Hero characters out there within the fanbase, probably because of her having an important role in the USJ fight early in the series. Her powers are probably some of the most creatives in her class, with her using something seemingly dumb (being a frog) very effectively and intelligently.

Outfits: Asui is normally seen in her school uniform, like most other characters. Her hero costume is bright green and black bodysuit, a pair of white gloves, two white belts, one around her waist and one above her breasts, looking almost like a vest, as well as thigh-high black boots on her bodysuit, with webbed flippers on her feet. She also wears a large pair of goggles as a headpiece, looking like large frog-like eyes.

Rainy Season Hero: Froppy (Midway/Around Provisional License Exam Arc)

Power Level 6 - 88 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 0, Agility 2, Fighting 5, Awareness 1

Powers
Quirk - Frog
Leaping 3 (15 Meters or 60 feet). [3]

Enhanced Advantage 4 (Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Fast Grab, Improved Trip) (Flaws: Limited to tongue). [2]

Super Move! - Camouflage: Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Flaws: Blending). [2]

Advantages
Assessment, Close Attack 2, Evasion, Improved Initiative, Move-by-Action, Teamwork

Skills
Acrobatics 5 (+7 total).
Athletics 8 (+8 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+9 total).
Insight 4 (+5 total).
Perception 8 (+9 total).
Persuasion 4 (+4 total).
Stealth 6 (+8 total).

Offense
Initiative +6
Unarmed +9, close damage 0.
Tongue +9, close damage 2.

Defense
Dodge 8, Fortitude 5, Parry 10, Toughness 2, Will 7

Complications

Motivation: To Become a Hero!: Asui is studying at U.A. High School's hero course, aiming to one day become a hero, much like her classmates. What type of hero she desires to be and why has been left unexplained.

Hibernation: Because of her quirk, when Asui has prolonged exposure to cold temperatures, her body will become sluggish and drowsy, slowly falling asleep.

22 Abilities, 19.5 Powers, 7 Advantages, 22.5 Skills, 20 Defenses = 88 Character Points

About: A build of Asui during the Provisional License Exam Arc. She learned to use her quirk to chamaleonically change her coloring to match her surroundings, giving her a new super move, Camouflage, which allows her to become almost invisible. Other than that, this build is a small 0.5 PL upgrade offensively and a 1 PL upgrade to her defenses.

Rainy Season Hero: Froppy (Now/Around Paranormal Liberation Front Arc)

Power Level 7 - 100 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 0, Agility 2, Fighting 6, Awareness 1

Powers
Quirk - Frog
Leaping 4 (30 Meters or 120 feet). [4]

Enhanced Advantage 4 (Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Fast Grab, Improved Trip) (Flaws: Limited to tongue). [2]

Super Move! - Camouflage: Concealment 2 (Visuals) (Flaws: Blending). [2]

Advantages
Assessment, Close Attack 3, Defensive Roll, Evasion, Improved Initiative, Move-by-Action, Teamwork

Skills
Acrobatics 6 (+8 total).
Athletics 10 (+10 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+12 total).
Insight 4 (+5 total).
Perception 8 (+9 total).
Persuasion 4 (+4 total).
Stealth 8 (+10 total).

Offense
Initiative +6
Unarmed +12, close damage 0.
Tongue +12, close damage 2.

Defense
Dodge 11, Fortitude 7, Parry 11, Toughness 2/3*, Will 8
*3 with Defensive Roll.

Complications

24 Abilities, 20.5 Powers, 8 Advantages, 24.5 Skills, 26 Defenses = 100 Character Points

About: Asui currently in the manga. She hasn’t gained any new moves since the Provisional License Exam Arc, but still seems to be very strong, as demonstrated in the Joint Training Arc, where she was an essential asset in the battle against the class 1-B students, so I increased her PL to 7, both offensively and defensively.
Last edited by SolarOracle on Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:39 am, edited 6 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Ah Froppy. If not the most popular girl in MHA, she's definitely in the top 3.

It's funny how animal hybrid characters in MHA tend to be pretty powerful. Froppy herself is basically Spider-Man-lite, having the agility, leaping ability, wall crawling and tongue in place of webbing. She doesn't have Pete's super strength or spider-sense, but she can camouflage herself, swim better and secrete a poison. Whereas a lot of MHA students are one trick ponies, she's extremely versatile.

SolarOracle

Ingenium (Tenya)

Post by SolarOracle »

Iida Tenya (Beginning/Around USJ Arc)

Identity: Iida Tenya, Public Identity.
Height: 1.79 meters.
Eyes: Red (manga) or blue (anime).
Hair: Black.

Power Level 7 - 90 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 1, Agility 2, Fighting 4, Awareness 1
Stamina 3, Dexterity 2, Intellect 4, Presence 1

Powers
Quirk - Engine
Speed 4 (60 Km/H or 30 MpH) (Flaws: Source - Orange Juice). [3]

High-Speed Kick: Strength-based Damage 2. [2]

Advantages
Benefit - Ingenium’s Legacy, Close Attack 4, Defensive Roll, Evasion, Improved Initiative, Inspire 2, Leadership, Move-by Action, Teamwork

Skills
Acrobatics 2 (+4 total).
Athletics 4 (+5 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+11 total).
Expertise (Student) 9 (+13 total).
Insight 4 (+5 total).
Investigation 2 (+6 total).
Perception 6 (+7 total).
Persuasion 4 (+5 total).

Offense
Initiative +6
Unarmed +11, close damage 1.
Boosted Kick +11, close damage 3.

Defense
Dodge 9, Fortitude 4, Parry 10, Toughness 3/4*, Will 6
*4 with Defensive Roll.

Complications

Motivation: To Become a Worthy Hero!: Iida wants to become a hero worthy of the name of Ingenium, his brother’s hero name. For that, he always keeps a proper conduct and respectful behavior.

Liquid Ingestion Based Powers: Iida’s quirk, Engine, functions based on liquids he consumes. While he uses orange juice as fuel, other drinks may cause problems for his quirk, such as it stalling after him drinking soda.

36 Abilities, 5 Powers, 13 Advantages, 17 Skills, 19 Defenses = 90 Character Points

About: Iida is a very serious and intelligent guy who basically always acts by the rules, unsurprisingly, being chosen as class representative by his classmates. Iida, unlike Asui, who is also a by-the-books person, tends to be very passionate, excited and loud, making heroic and grand speeches about the rules of the school, the expectations around the students and other things others would usually see as mundane and boring, making him a very interesting person on his class. A running joke throughout the series is Iida making angular and robotic-like movements while he is talking to people, a joke on the fact that he seems obsessed with following the rules. Iida is also from a line of heroes who all use the name Ingenium, with the latest bearer of the name being his older brother, Iida Tensei, and Tenya wants to be worthy of having the Ingenium name one day. His quirk, the same all of his family shares, Engine, makes it so his legs have literal engines on them, that allow him to run incredibly fast.

Probably Iida's most impactful character moment was when his older brother was targetted and severelly injured by the Hero Killer Stain, who was trying to kill heroes he saw as "unworthy", which to him meant all heroes other than All Might. After receiving those news, Iida went rogue, taking a hero internship in the city Stain was active at and activelly hunting him so he could avenge his brother, which lead to the battle of him, Midoriya and Todoroki against the Hero Killer, one of the most memorable and cool battles in the entire series for me.

Iida seems to be one of the strongest characters in his class, being one of the characters to usually get a bit of focus on most arcs. I really like the "legacy hero" thing and how that, as a trope of western comics, is brought over to the manga, something that kind of feels like a tribute to the trope. I also like him being a speedster character that has a more blocky and muscular design, instead of the usual skinny and lean one. Sadly, most of the new moves and techniques Iida gets are just "he can go faster now" or "his engine stalls less", which feels kind of boring in general. I really hope he gets more cool moves in the future, as he is a character that I really enjoy.

Outfits: Iida is nusually shown in his school uniform. His hero costume is a white full body armor themed around cars, I think, with a pair of engines coming from his shoulders and from his head. His outfit was designed with the intent of being aerodynamic, and the leg pieces are made with the intent of enhancing the performance of his engines. He always kind of looked like a power ranger or something to me, which is pretty cool, as it differentiates him quite a bit from his classmates' outfits.

Ingenium (Midway/Around Provisional License Exam Arc)

Power Level 8 - 111 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 1, Agility 4, Fighting 5, Awareness 1
Stamina 3, Dexterity 3, Intellect 4, Presence 1

Powers
Quirk - Engine
Speed 4 (60 Km/H or 30 MpH) (Flaws: Source - Orange Juice). [3]
Leaping 1 (15 feet). [1]

High-Speed Kick: Strength-based Damage 3. [3]

Super Move! - Recipro Burst: Speed +2 (Speed 6 total) (Flaws: Limited to not being able to use speed effects in the following turn). (1) -- [2]
  • AE: Super Move! - Recipro Extend: Speed +3 (Speed 7 total) (Flaws: Limited to not being able to use speed or leaping effects in the following turn, Limited to only being usable after recovering from Recipro Burst), linked to Leaping +1 (Leaping 2 total) (Flaws: Limited to not being able to use speed or leaping effects in the following turn, Limited to only being usable after recovering from Recipro Burst). (1)
Advantages
Benefit - Ingenium’s Legacy, Close Attack 4, Defensive Roll, Evasion, Improved Initiative, Inspire 2, Leadership, Move-by Action, Teamwork

Skills
Acrobatics 3 (+7 total).
Athletics 7 (+8 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+12 total).
Insight 4 (+5 total).
Investigation 4 (+8 total).
Perception 6 (+7 total).
Persuasion 4 (+5 total).

Offense
Initiative +6
Unarmed +12, close damage 2.
Boosted Kick +12, close damage 4.

Defense
Dodge 11, Fortitude 5, Parry 12, Toughness 3/4*, Will 8
*4 with Defensive Roll.

Complications

Motivation: To Become a Worthy Hero!: Iida wants to become a hero worthy of the name of Ingenium, his brother’s hero name. For that, he always keeps a proper conduct and respectful behavior.

Liquid Ingestion Based Powers: Iida’s quirk, Engine, functions based on liquids he consumes. While he uses orange juice as fuel, other drinks may cause problems for his quirk, such as it stalling after him drinking soda.

44 Abilities, 7 Powers, 13 Advantages, 20 Skills, 23 Defenses = 111 Character Points

About: A build of Iida during the Provisional License Arc. All techniques and super moves he develops are him furthering his speed, which is kind of boring in my opinion. I increased his Agility, high-speed kick and defenses, making him now a PL 8, one of the strongest in his class.

Ingenium (Now/Around Paranormal Liberation Army Arc)

Power Level 9 - 120 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 1, Agility 4, Fighting 5, Awareness 1
Stamina 3, Dexterity 3, Intellect 4, Presence 1

Powers
Quirk - Engine
Recipro Turbo: Speed 4 (120 Km/H or 60 MpH) (Flaws: Source - Orange Juice). [4]
Leaping 2 (30 feet). [2]

High-Speed Kick: Strength-based Damage 3. [3]

Super Move! - Recipro Burst: Speed +2 (Speed 6 total) (Flaws: Limited to not being able to use speed effects in the following turn). (1) -- [2]
  • AE: Super Move! - Recipro Extend: Speed +3 (Speed 8 total) (Flaws: Limited to not being able to use speed or leaping effects in the following turn, Limited to only being usable after recovering from Recipro Burst), linked to Leaping +1 (Leaping 3 total) (Flaws: Limited to not being able to use speed or leaping effects in the following turn, Limited to only being usable after recovering from Recipro Burst). (1)
Advantages
Benefit - Ingenium’s Legacy, Close Attack 5, Defensive Roll 2, Evasion, Improved Initiative, Inspire 2, Leadership, Move-by Action, Teamwork

Skills
Acrobatics 4 (+8 total).
Athletics 10 (+11 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+13 total).
Insight 4 (+5 total).
Investigation 4 (+8 total).
Perception 6 (+7 total).
Persuasion 4 (+5 total).

Offense
Initiative +6
Unarmed +13, close damage 2.
Boosted Kick +13, close damage 4.

Defense
Dodge 12, Fortitude 6, Parry 12, Toughness 3/5*, Will 9
*5 with Defensive Roll.

Complications

44 Abilities, 11 Powers, 14 Advantages, 22 Skills, 27 Defenses = 120 Character Points

About: Iida currently in the manga. The main thing he got was an even bigger boost in his speed known as Recipro Turbo, where he removed the engine mufflers from his legs, something that was immensely painful, to allow for new, stronger ones to grow in their place. Other than that, this is a minor 0.5 PL boost for him, as he hasn’t really made much progress since the Provisional License Exam Arc.
Last edited by SolarOracle on Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

OK, so, a thing I just noticed is that I forgot to explain what are the "Quirk Types" that I'm writing down in the builds. Quirks are broken into 3 types within the setting. They are:

-Emitter: Quirks that the user activates and unleashes. Quirk's like Midoriya's One For All, Tokoyami's Dark Shadow or Todoroki's Half-Hot Half-Cold are some examples.

-Transformation: Quirks based on the user physically altering their body in some way. Kirishima's Hardening, Mt. Lady's Gigantification or Tokage's Lizard Tail Splitter are a few examples.

-Mutant: Quirks that are an innate alteration on the user's biology and form. Examples include Asui's Frog, Iida's Engine or Hagakure's Invisibility are some examples.
SolarOracle

Uravity

Post by SolarOracle »

Uraraka Ochako (Beginning/Around USJ Arc)

Identity: Uraraka Ochaco, Public Identity.
Height: 1.56 Meters.
Eyes: Auburn.
Hair: Auburn.

Power Level 3 (PL 6 Quirk) - 46 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 0, Agility 0, Fighting 2, Awareness 0
Stamina 1, Dexterity 0, Intellect 0, Presence 1

Powers
Quirk - Zero Gravity
Feature 5: Can reduce the weight of any touched object to zero temporarily. [5]

Levitate Enemies: Affliction 8 (Hindered/Impaired/Immobilized) (Flaws: Concentration, Distracting). (2) -- [3]
  • AE: Levitate Self/Others: Flight 2 (16 Km/H or 8 MpH) (Extras: Attack) (Flaws: Concentration, Distracting, Limited to making target unaffected by gravity). (1)
Advantages
Close Attack 2, Improvised Weapon, Set-Up, Teamwork

Skills
Athletics 1 (+1 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+6 total).
Deception 4 (+5 total).
Expertise (Student) 4 (+4 total).
Insight 5 (+5 total).
Perception 6 (+6 total).
Persuasion 6 (+7 total).

Offense
Initiative +0
Levitate Others +4, close affliction (Hindered/Impaired/Immobilized), Dodge DC 18.

Defense
Dodge 3, Fortitude 2, Parry 5, Toughness 1, Will 4

Complications

Motivation: To Become a Rich Hero!: Uraraka’s family is very poor, and this has led her to live a somewhat difficult life, where she constantly saw her parents struggling to get by. She decided to become a hero as a way to get money for her parents and let them be able to live a good retirement.

Gravity Nausea: The longer Uraraka keeps an object or person afloat, the more she becomes sick. How long she can keep objects afloat varies from time to time and seem to have no clear time consistency, so the point when Uraraka cannot keep her quirk activated anymore is determined by the Game Master.

8 Abilities, 8 Powers, 5 Advantages, 14 Skills, 11 Defenses = 46 Character Points

About: Uraraka is a bubbly, outgoing and very friendly chick from class 1-A. She is a very relaxed and laid-back person in general and seems to have a positive atitude and outlook about virtually everything. Uraraka actually comes from a poor family, that had to work very hard so she could get into U.A., so her dream is to make a lot of money as a hero so her parents can have a peaceful and worry-free retirement.

Uraraka tends to prefer to use her quirk creativelly, using her surroundings and gravity itself as her prefered method of attack, so I decided not to include in her builds the moves she used during the story, like when she used a stone pillar as a bat on a training fight against Iida, or when she used the rubble from the stadium to fall on Bakugo during their fight on the sports festival. Instead, I think those would be more the player using her feature of being able to reduce the weight of stuff to zero and using the environment in their favor. I'm not really 100% satisfied with how these builds turned out, if I'm being honest, but I feel like it's the best way to represent her usage of her power in Mutants and Masterminds.

I... can't really say I like Uraraka as a character. Most fights she had were very boring and most arcs she was in she really didn't do much. I feel like everytime she is in an important position on a story arc I think to myself "Oh, she is finally gonna do something!", but then she just doesn't, falling into the shonen trope of the girl in the protagonist group being the most useless among them, which is very sad as Boku no Hero is very subversive with this kind of stuff. I don't know, I really feel like Uraraka is a huge wasted potential in general, and REALLY hope she gets more fights and prominence other than being there to serve as a romantic intrest to Midoriya in the future. Like, seriously, her character desperatelly needs some fixing. Other than that, she does become a lot stronger as the series goes on, despite starting out as one of the weakest characters in her class.

Outfits: Normally, Uraraka wears her school uniform, like all her classmates. Her hero costume is a black, white and pink bodysuit, themed around space and astronaut gear, and seems to serve the purpose of making her feel the least nauseated possible. It features a pink visor and some very round writguards and cloves. She also has white knee-high boots that are very oversized and round.

Uravity (Midway/Around Provisional License Exam Arc)

Power Level 6 (PL 8 Quirk) - 60 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 0, Agility 1, Fighting 6, Awareness 0
Stamina 2, Dexterity 0, Intellect 0, Presence 1

Powers
Quirk - Zero Gravity
Feature 5: Can reduce the weight of any object touched or hit by the user’s unarmed attack or powers to zero temporarily. [5]

Levitate Enemies: Affliction 8 (Hindered/Impaired/Immobilized) (Flaws: Concentration, Distracting). (2) -- [3]
  • AE: Levitate Self/Others: Flight 2 (16 Km/H or 8 MpH) (Extras: Attack) (Flaws: Concentration, Distracting, Limited to making target unaffected by gravity). (1)

Gunhead Martial Arts: Unarmed Damage +1. [1]

Advantages
Close Attack 2, Defensive Roll, Improved Hold, Improvised Weapon, Set-Up, Teamwork

Skills
Athletics 4 (+4 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+10 total).
Deception 4 (+5 total).
Insight 6 (+6 total).
Perception 8 (+8 total).
Persuasion 6 (+7 total).

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed +10, close damage 1.
Levitate Others +8, close affliction (Hindered/Impaired/Immobilized), Dodge DC 18.

Defense
Dodge 7, Fortitude 5, Parry 8, Toughness 2/3*, Will 6
*3 with Defensive Roll.

Complications

Motivation: To Become a Rich Hero!: Uraraka’s family is very poor, and this has led her to live a somewhat difficult life, where she constantly saw her parents struggling to get by. She decided to become a hero as a way to get money for her parents and let them be able to live a good retirement.

Gravity Nausea: The longer Uraraka keeps an object or person afloat, the more she becomes sick. How long she can keep objects afloat varies from time to time and seem to have no clear time consistency, so the point when Uraraka cannot keep her quirk activated anymore is determined by the Game Master.

20 Abilities, 8 Powers, 5 Advantages, 17 Skills, 17 Defenses = 60 Character Points

About: A build of Uraraka during the Provisional License Arc. Possibly one of the bigger power boosts in the series, mostly because of her martial arts training with the pro hero Gunhead, giving her much higher defenses and unarmed attack, as well as the Improved Hold advantage. Her usage of her power remains similar to how it was before, with her favoring creative and improvised uses of it.

Uravity (Now/Around Paranormal Liberation Front Arc)

Power Level 7 (PL 9 Quirk) - 71 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 0, Agility 1, Fighting 7, Awareness 0
Stamina 3, Dexterity 0, Intellect 0, Presence 1

Powers
Quirk - Zero Gravity
Feature 5: Can reduce the weight of any object touched or hit by the user’s unarmed attack or powers to zero temporarily. [5]

Gunhead Martial Arts: Unarmed Damage +1. [1]

Advantages
Close Attack 3, Defensive Roll, Improved Hold, Improvised Weapon, Set-Up, Teamwork

Skills
Athletics 5 (+5 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+12 total).
Deception 4 (+5 total).
Insight 8 (+8 total).
Perception 9 (+9 total).
Persuasion 6 (+7 total).

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed +12, close damage 1.
Levitate Others +10, close affliction (Hindered/Impaired/Immobilized), Dodge DC 18.

Defense
Dodge 9, Fortitude 6, Parry 10, Toughness 3/4*, Will 7
*4 with Defensive Roll.

Complications

24 Abilities, 8 Powers, 6 Advantages, 19 Skills, 21 Defenses = 71 Character Points

About: Uraraka currently in the manga. Due to how she tends to use her quirk, she hasn’t really developed any new super moves. Compared to her previous build, she seems to have become quite a bit stronger, due to how useful she was to her team in the training battle against class 1-B, making her now a PL 7, with a PL 9 affliction attack.
Last edited by SolarOracle on Sun May 31, 2020 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Huh, I had no idea about Iida needing to choose what he drinks more carefully. I mean, it kind of makes sense since he's got engines in his legs and we know what sugar does to engines, but still.