Solar's Build Thread - The In-Between-Updates Update!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
SolarOracle

Re: Solar's Build Thread - Boku no Hero Academia Update

Post by SolarOracle »

Ares wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:12 pm Huh, I had no idea about Iida needing to choose what he drinks more carefully. I mean, it kind of makes sense since he's got engines in his legs and we know what sugar does to engines, but still.
A thing that is pretty intresting to me is that his brother prefers grape juice to oranje juice as fuel for their quirk, as shown in the spinoff manga Vigilantes. I'm not sure if, like, any juice works the same for all members of the Iida family and they just drink the one they like the most, or if it is a different flavor or liquid entirely for each member, but I always thought that was a pretty neat and interesting detail.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

SolarOracle wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:20 pm
Ares wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 11:12 pm Huh, I had no idea about Iida needing to choose what he drinks more carefully. I mean, it kind of makes sense since he's got engines in his legs and we know what sugar does to engines, but still.
A thing that is pretty intresting to me is that his brother prefers grape juice to oranje juice as fuel for their quirk, as shown in the spinoff manga Vigilantes. I'm not sure if, like, any juice works the same for all members of the Iida family and they just drink the one they like the most, or if it is a different flavor or liquid entirely for each member, but I always thought that was a pretty neat and interesting detail.
Agreed.

As for Uraraka, she seems to function a lot better in a support role than as a solo hero. That one-two technique she had Tsuyu is a good example, where she made a lot of debris light and clustered in one area, then Froppy slapped it and she released her power, suddenly having heavy debris flying at bullet like speeds. Or when she and Tsuyu threw several of the boys after Mr. Compress. Actually, she and Tsuyu make a really solid team.

In a lot of ways, she's the reverse Bakugo. Bakugo's powers are fantastic for defeating villains and breaking things . . . and that's about it. He's basically useless for rescuing people because his explosions are just as likely to endanger someone as free them. Meanwhile Uraraka isn't really that strong in direct combat, and she's much better at either setting her allies up or increasing their mobility to get them into place. She's fantastic for rescue work, being able to move debris make people light to move them out of harms way, etc. Oddly enough, her best combat abilities are her martial arts training.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I promise I'm reading these- you're just posting them quickly and I'm trying to actually get the little details before commenting, lol. This must be what it's like for people reading my threads :).

Froppy is EXTRAORDINARILY popular in fanart and such- probably because of the "Ugly Cute" factor and having such distinctive traits in a genre prone to "Every Girl Looks The Same". Uravity seems a LOT less popular, probably due to "Same BestGirl In Every Shonen Story" syndrome, at least from what I can tell from online bios.

Pinky being a distinct backgrounder is very good world-building- it's an excellent move to avoid just making faceless backgrounders with few traits.

I do like the uses of odd or "sucky" powers- it's very New Mutants in that sense, with a guy having only the power to be "pretty fast", and modifying that into being a good ass-kicker, or "being a frog", or the rare gravity and acid-themed superheroes. It's a lot better than the typical thing in Western comics, which is Strong Guy/Speedster/Morpher/Scrapper/Flying Brick characters, or even the typical shonen stuff like "Everyone has the same base powers and just upgrades them at different tiers" (DBZ, Bleach).

Where do Quirks come from in the setting? I assume most are born with them, but was it ever explained why?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu May 28, 2020 4:59 am Where do Quirks come from in the setting? I assume most are born with them, but was it ever explained why?
It just started happening, a few generations before the present, and I don't think the narrative has explored the why (or even specified the 'since when') yet.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

The implication is that quirks are some kind of evolutionary trait of humanity, as there have been quirk-removing bullets developed with the DNA of a person whose quirk is rewind things in time (with the justification being that the bullets were "devolving" the person hit back into a normal human), or with a doctor telling Midoriya he is quirkless since he has an aditional joint on his pinky toe, which people born with quirk don't have. Other than that, we don't really know much.
Last edited by SolarOracle on Thu May 28, 2020 5:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SolarOracle

Tailman

Post by SolarOracle »

Ojiro Mashirao (Beginning/Around USJ Arc)

Identity: Ojiro Mashirao, Public Identity.
Height: 1.69 meters.
Weight: Unknown.
Eyes: Black.
Hair: Blonde.
Skin: Fair.
Quirk Type: Mutant.
Group: U.A. Highschool class 1-A.
Base of Operations: Japan, Tokyo, Musutafu City.

Power Level 6 - 78 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 2, Agility 4, Fighting 8, Awareness 2
Stamina 3, Dexterity 1, Intellect 1, Presence 0

Powers
Quirk - Tail
Extra Limbs 1. [1]

Martial Arts Training: Leaping 1 (4 meters or 15 feet). [1]
Unarmed Damage +1. [1]

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Close Attack, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Disarm, Improved Trip

Skills
Acrobatics 6 (+10 total).
Athletics 5 (+7 total).
Expertise (Martial Arts) 6 (+7 total).
Expertise (Student) 6 (+7 total).
Insight 4 (+6 total).
Perception 3 (+5 total).
Persuasion 2 (+2 total).

Offense
Initiative +4
Unarmed +9, close damage 3, critical 19-20.

Defense
Dodge 6, Fortitude 5, Parry 8, Toughness 3/4*, Will 7
*4 with Defensive Roll.

Complications

Motivation: To Become a Hero!: Ojiro is studying at U.A. High School's hero course, aiming to one day become a hero, much like his classmates. What type of hero he desires to be and why has been left unexplained.

42 Abilities, 3 Powers, 7 Advantages, 16 Skills, 10 Defenses = 78 Character Points

About: Ojiro is a very calm and patient guy. He is generally bland looking (aside from his tail, which does draw attention) and tends to not draw much attention in general. He seems to have a pretty deep sense of honor, something that I imagine comes from his martial arts training, as noticed when he refused to advance in the school festival's tournament after being mind controlled by Shinzo, since he felt like he didn't earn that with his own skill.

Ojiro is a pretty intresting concept to me, as he probably has THE most useless power in his own class, but benefits a lot from it due to honing his body with martial arts, making him very mobile and agile, swiging from side to side with his tail. He seems to be very strong, facing a large group of villains alone during the USJ arc and defeating them, and being able to defeat Pony from class B in the Joint Training arc even after having previously fought against Kaibara and being injured in the fight.

Outfits: Ojiro usually wears his school uniform, like all his classmates. His hero uniform is a simple martial arts gi, with a stylized black belt and fur over his left shoulder, a pair of fingerless blue gloves (which were added later) and a pair of black and blue high boots.

Martial Arts Hero: Tailman (Midway/Around Provisional License Exam Arc)

Base of Operations: Japan, Tokyo, Musutafu City, Heights Alliance 1-A Dormitory.

Power Level 7 - 82 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 3, Agility 4, Fighting 9, Awareness 2

Powers
Quirk - Tail
Extra Limbs 1. [1]

Unarmed Damage +1. [1]

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Close Attack, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Disarm, Improved Trip

Skills
Acrobatics 7 (+11 total).
Athletics 8 (+10 total).
Insight 4 (+6 total).
Perception 5 (+7 total).
Persuasion 2 (+2 total).

Offense
Initiative +4
Unarmed +10, close damage 4, critical 19-20.

Defense
Dodge 8, Fortitude 6, Parry 9, Toughness 3/5*, Will 8
*5 with Defensive Roll.

Complications

Motivation: To Become a Hero!: Ojiro is studying at U.A. High School's hero course, aiming to one day become a hero, much like his classmates. What type of hero he desires to be and why has been left unexplained.

46 Abilities, 3 Powers, 7 Advantages, 19 Skills, 14 Defenses = 85 Character Points

About: Ojiro during the Provisional License Arc. He didn’t really gain any new techniques or attacks until that arc, so this is just a minor 1 PL upgrade, as his training seemed to consist mostly of him fortifying his martial arts and his tail.

Martial Arts Hero: Tailman (Now/Around Paranormal Liberation Front Arc)

Base of Operations: Japan, Tokyo, Musutafu City, Heights Alliance 1-A Dormitory.

Power Level 8 - 107 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 3, Agility 4, Fighting 10, Awareness 2

Powers
Quirk - Tail
Extra Limbs 1. [1]

Unarmed Damage +1. [1]

Super Move! - Tornado Tail Dance: Strength-based Damage 1 (Extras: Multiattack 4), linked to Deflect 8. [13]

Advantages
Accurate Attack, Close Attack 2, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll 2, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Disarm, Improved Trip

Skills
Acrobatics 11 (+15 total).
Athletics 10 (+13 total).
Insight 4 (+6 total).
Perception 5 (+7 total).
Persuasion 2 (+2 total).

Offense
Initiative +4
Unarmed +12, close damage 4, critical 19-20.
Tornado Tail Dance +12, close damage 4, critical 19-20.

Defense
Dodge 9, Fortitude 7, Parry 11, Toughness 3/5*, Will 9
*5 with Defensive Roll.

Complications

48 Abilities, 15 Powers, 8 Advantages, 22 Skills, 17 Defenses = 107 Character Points

About: Ojiro currently in the manga. He gained 2 super moves, demonstrated during the fight against class 1-B, the Fist of the Tail: Swamp Smack Spin (which has a pretty interesting name, all things considered), which he used to escape the trap set by Honenuki, which is him spinning around to swing his tail wildly. I considered making that as a 6 feet burst area damage effect, but as he used it only once in a very situational way (push the liquified ground away from him), I think that could be considered Ojiro using Extra Effort (the attack even has “Swamp” in its name, making direct reference to him using it against Mudman). Other than that, he gained the Tornado Tail Dance, which, similarly to his Swamp Smack Spin, is him using his tail to smack things. He used it to deflect Pony’s attacks away, so I gave it a linked deflect effect, as well as some damage with multiattack.

Ojiro is now PL 8, both defensively and offensively, and is much more useful and versatile than before thanks to his super moves.
Last edited by SolarOracle on Mon Sep 19, 2022 6:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SolarOracle

Chargebolt

Post by SolarOracle »

Kaminari Denki (Beginning/Around USJ Arc)

Identity: Kaminari Denki, Public Identity.
Height: 1.68 Meters.
Eyes: Yellow.
Hair: Yellow, with a lightning-bolt shaped black streak.
Quirk Type: Emitter.
Group: U.A. High School class 1-A.

Power Level 6 (PL 8 Discharge) - 65 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 0, Agility 0, Fighting 3, Awareness 0
Stamina 2, Dexterity 0, Intellect -1, Presence 1

Powers
Quirk - Electrification
Feature: Adds electricity to melee attacks. [1]
Unarmed damage +2. [2]
Feature: May charge phones and electrical batteries with his body. [1]

Electrification Aura: Reaction damage 2. [8]

Super Move! - Indiscriminate Discharge: Area (30 ft. Burst) Damage 8 (Flaws: Limited to user’s mental abilities all being reduced to -4 after usage and them being unable to use electrical powers until recovery). [8]

Support Item - Communication Earpiece: (Flaws: Removable). [2]
Feature 2: Allows the user to create electrical communication signals or jam radio waves through channeling their electricity. (2)

Advantages
Close Attack 3, Defensive Roll, Improved Critical (Electricity), Ranged Attack 2

Skills
Athletics 2 (+2 total).
Deception 4 (+5 total).
Expertise (Student) 1 (+0 total).
Insight 2 (+2 total).
Perception 3 (+3 total).
Persuasion 6 (+7 total).
Technology 2 (+1 total).

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed +6, close damage 2, critical 19-20.
Electrification Aura, close reaction damage 2.
Indiscriminate Discharge, close 30 ft. burst area damage 8.

Defense
Dodge 6, Fortitude 4, Parry 9, Toughness 2/3*, Will 3
*3 with Defensive Roll.

Complications

Motivation: To Become a Hero!: Kaminari is studying at U.A. High School's hero course, aiming to one day become a hero, much like his classmates. What type of hero he desires to be and why has been left unexplained.

Short-Circuit: If Kaminari uses too much electricity at once, his brain short-circuits and he becomes effectively useless until he recovers. His quirk is also especially hard to control, with him saying he cannot control the area of his electricity properly and the output when trying to attack at a range, making his attack very difficult to use with team-mates nearby. Because of this, his discharge attack can only be used once, after he is sure there are no allies in the area of the effect, before he becomes useless in combat.

10 Abilities, 22 Powers, 7 Advantages, 10 Skills, 16 Defenses = 65 Character Points

About: Kaminari is shown to be an easygoing, friendly and energetic guy. He is usually grouped with Kirishima and Bakugo, with them being kind of a trio and all seeming like good friends, meaning he is one of the people in his class who is not intimidated by Bakugo, and he also seems like a close friend to Jiro, who is frequently mocking him and hanging out with him, with him standing up for her and cheering her on when she was too shy to sing during the school's culture festival. Kaminari seems to be kind of a dumbass, with him having the lowest test scores among his class and being shown to just... generally be dumb. He is very oftenly hitting on girls and seems to value looking cool, which kind of makes him look sort of vain. His Quirk, Electrification, allows him to unleash and control electricity from his body, but he has basically no control over it, with him frying his own brain whenever he discharges his electricity and, therefore, only being able to use his power once per combat. Later on, he gets his "Sharpshooter Gear", that allows him to attack at a range without frying his brain, despite being somewhat impractical.

OK, so, it is VERY likelly that Kaminari is a spy sent by the villains to spy on the school. There is, like, piles of evidence that points to that (him commenting that Stain, the Hero Killer, seemed "kind of cool", him having left his bed the night before the villains attacked during the Training Camp arc, him making the Paranormal Liberation Army secret hand sign when he was practicing giving interviews during their training with Midnight are some of the most damning evidence), so, if (let's be honest here, WHEN) this gets confirmed in the manga, I'll redo his builds, adding a "Pre-Retcon" and "Post-Retcon" thing on them.

I really like Kaminari. I'm not really sure why, maybe it's just him having a cool powr and character design, or maybe it's the characters interaction he has, but I just really like the guy. I'm kind of looking forwards to him being revealed as the traitor, just so I can see his motivation, and how his friends will react to it (like, is his WHOLE personality a facade or is he actually close to them and is acting reluctantly? The suspense of it is KILLING me, man!) He had quite a few notable fights, which is pretty dope, and even had an important role in the manga's current arc, when he deflected the powerful electrical attack of a villain so it wouldn't harm the heroes.

Outfits: Kaminari is usually wearing his school uniform, like everyone else. His hero costume is a pair of black pants with a lightning bolt design, a plain white v-neck t-shirt, a pair of brown shoes, a short black jacket with white lightning bolt designs, a ear piece that allows him to jam radio waves and a pair of blue goggles, that actually act as the visor for his "Sharpshooter Gear".

Stun Gun Hero: Chargebolt (Midway/Around Provisional License Exam Arc)

Power Level 7 (PL 10 Discharge, PL 8 Absorption) - 99 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 0, Agility 0, Fighting 4, Awareness 0

Powers
Quirk - Electrification
Unarmed damage +3. [3]

Electrification Aura: Reaction damage 4. [16]

Super Move! - Indiscriminate Discharge: Area (30 ft. Burst) Damage 10 (Flaws: Limited to user’s mental abilities all being reduced to -4 after usage and them being unable to use electrical powers until recovery). (10) -- [11]
  • AE: Absorb Electricity: Deflect 8 (Flaws: Limited to Electricity). (4)
Feature 2: Allows the user to create electrical communication signals or jam radio waves through channeling their electricity. (2)

Support Item - Sharpshooting Gear: (Flaws: Removable). [8]
Feature: May shoot special metal disks up to 30 feet away as a standard action. (1)
Visor: Feature: Can track position and distance of shot metal disks. (1)
Lightning Shot: Ranged Damage 6 (Extras: Improved Critical) (Flaws: Limited to towards special metal disks). (7)

Advantages
Close Attack 3, Defensive Roll, Improved Critical (Electricity), Ranged Attack 6

Skills
Athletics 3 (+3 total).
Deception 4 (+5 total).
Insight 2 (+2 total).
Perception 4 (+4 total).
Persuasion 6 (+7 total).
Ranged Combat (Sharpshooting Gear) 2 (+8 total).
Technology 2 (+1 total).

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed +6, close damage 3, critical 19-20.
Lightning Shot +8, ranged damage 6, critical 18-20.
Electrification Aura, close reaction damage 4.
Indiscriminate Discharge, close 30 ft. burst area damage 10.

Defense
Dodge 11, Fortitude 4, Parry 10, Toughness 2/3*, Will 3
*3 with Defensive Roll.

Complications

Motivation: To Become a Hero!: Kaminari is studying at U.A. High School's hero course, aiming to one day become a hero, much like his classmates. What type of hero he desires to be and why has been left unexplained.

Short-Circuit: If Kaminari uses too much electricity at once, his brain short-circuits and he becomes effectively useless until he recovers. His quirk is also especially hard to control, with him saying he cannot control the area of his electricity properly and the output when trying to attack at a range, making his attack very difficult to use with team-mates nearby. Because of this, his discharge attack can only be used once, after he is sure there are no allies in the area of the effect, before he becomes useless in combat.

12 Abilities, 44 Powers, 11 Advantages, 11 Skills, 21 Defenses = 99 Character Points

About: Kaminari during the Provisional License Exam Arc. He gains his sharpshooting gear, which he had specially made so he wouldn’t be just a one-trick-pony and so he could do more in combat without incapacitating himself. His attacks are PL 7, with his discharge being upgraded to PL 10.

I added his Electricity absorption power as well, as it was used in the movie. If the movies count as canon or not is debatable, but I decided to include this power in this build anyways, with a PL 8 deflect effect.

Stun Gun Hero: Chargebolt (Now/Around Paranormal Liberation Front Arc)

Power Level 8 (PL 11 Discharge, PL 10 Absorption) - 107 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 0, Agility 0, Fighting 4, Awareness 0

Powers
Quirk - Electrification
Unarmed damage +3. [3]

Electrification Aura: Reaction damage 4. [16]

Super Move! - Indiscriminate Discharge: Area (30 ft. Burst) Damage 11 (Flaws: Limited to user’s mental abilities all being reduced to -4 after usage and them being unable to use electrical powers until recovery). (11) -- [12]
  • AE: Absorb Electricity: Deflect 10 (Flaws: Limited to Electricity). (5)

Support Item - Sharpshooting Gear: (Flaws: Removable). [8]
Feature: May shoot special metal disks up to 30 feet away as a standard action. (1)
Visor: Feature: Can track position and distance of shot metal disks. (1)
Lightning Shot: Ranged Damage 6 (Extras: Improved Critical) (Flaws: Limited to towards special metal disks). (7)

Advantages
Close Attack 4, Defensive Roll, Improved Critical (Electricity), Ranged Attack 7

Skills
Athletics 4 (+4 total).
Deception 4 (+5 total).
Insight 3 (+3 total).
Perception 5 (+5 total).
Persuasion 6 (+7 total).
Ranged Combat (Sharpshooting Gear) 3 (+10 total).
Technology 2 (+1 total).

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed +8, close damage 3, critical 19-20.
Lightning Shot +10, ranged damage 6, critical 18-20.
Electrification Aura, close reaction damage 5.
Indiscriminate Discharge, close 30 ft. burst area damage 11.

Defense
Defense
Dodge 12, Fortitude 4, Parry 11, Toughness 2/3*, Will 4
*3 with Defensive Roll.

Complications

12 Abilities, 45 Powers, 12 Advantages, 13 Skills, 25 Defenses = 107 Character Points

About: Kaminari currently. We really haven't seen much of him in action doing new things, other than him absorbing electricity (now in a media with undebatable canonicity, unlike the movies), and I increased it to a PL 10 deflect, as he deflected a seemingly REALLY strong electrical attack with it. I increased his electrical attacks and defenses a bit, making him now a PL 8, with a PL 11 discharge power.
Last edited by SolarOracle on Sat Sep 17, 2022 4:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Huh. I never picked up on Kaminari as a possible spy. Nice detective work there.

I've got to say, one thing I loved is that when Bakugo went from a relatively small school as the big fish to UA, suddenly he was surrounded with people who were not impressed by him or constantly singing his praises. Basically everyone except Minata just blow off his attitude, with his only respect being an acknowledgement of how good a fighter he is and how destructive he can be. No one has any problems calling him out on his shit, and he got slapped with several losses.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

Ares wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 1:23 am I've got to say, one thing I loved is that when Bakugo went from a relatively small school as the big fish to UA, suddenly he was surrounded with people who were not impressed by him or constantly singing his praises. Basically everyone except Minata just blow off his attitude, with his only respect being an acknowledgement of how good a fighter he is and how destructive he can be. No one has any problems calling him out on his shit, and he got slapped with several losses.
Huh, never really stopped to think about that. I really enjoy the moments when Bakugo is trying to boast and stuff and no one takes him seriously and make fun nof him, they are really funny.
SolarOracle

Red Riot

Post by SolarOracle »

Kirishima Eijiro (Beginning/Around USJ Arc)

Identity: Kirishima Eijiro, Public Identity.
Height: 1.70 Meters.
Eyes: Red.
Hair: Spiky and dyed red, naturally black.
Skin: Lightly tanned fair skin.
Quirk Type: Transformation.

Power Level 6 (PL 7 Defense) - 64 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 2, Agility 0/-1*, Fighting 4, Awareness 1
Stamina 4, Dexterity 0/-1, Intellect 0, Presence 0
*Changed due to powers

Powers
Quirk - Hardening: (Extras: Sustained) (Flaws: Activation (Move Action), Reduced Traits (Agility 1, Dexterity 1)). [10]
Protection 6 (Extras: Impervious 6. (12)
Feature 2: Increased Mass 2. (2)
Unarmed Damage +1. (1)

Advantages
All-Out Attack, Extraordinary Effort, Great Endurance, Improved Initiative, Interpose, Power Attack, Withstand Damage

Skills
Athletics 8 (+10 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+6 total).
Expertise (Student) 5 (+5 total).
Insight 1 (+2 total).
Intimidation 4 (+4 total).
Perception 4 (+5 total).
Persuasion 4 (+4 total).

Offense
Initiative +4/+3*
Unarmed +6, close damage 2/3*.
*Changed due to powers.

Defense
Dodge 2/1*, Fortitude 5, Parry 4, Toughness 4/10*, Will 8
*Changed due to powers. Impervious Toughness 3.

Complications

Hardening Quirk: Kirishima’s quirk causes his skin to become hard as stone (if not harder), and makes him incapable of swimming while activated, due to his increased weight.

Diminishing Effect: The more damage Kirishima absorbs with his hardened skin, the weaker his quirk becomes, making his bonus to toughness and impervious protection slowly decrease as he resists the attacks of his opponents.

Motivation: To Become a Manly Hero!: Kirishima is inspired by the Chivalrous Hero, Crimson Riot, and wants to become a professional hero similar to him one day, subscribing to his philosophy of always facing enemies and danger with a strong will and a “manly spirit”, seeing those as more important than a powerful quirk. Because of this, Kirishima tends to follow a code of honor of sorts, something that can be exploited by his enemies.

22 Abilities, 10 Powers, 7 Advantages, 15 Skills, 10 Defenses = 64 Character Points

About: Kirishima is an approachable and friendly guy who is always talking about manliness (not in a literal sense. More in a "noble, brave and heroic" kind of way) and using it as the lenses he sees the world. He is very brave and fearless, oftenly using himself to shield others and not afraid to face an opponent head-on, something he can do well thanks to his quirk. He is usually hanging around Bakugo and Kaminari, with Moidoriya telling him Bakugo sees him as an equal, something someone like Bakugo obviously doesn't do oftenly. Kirishima's quirk, Hardening, allows him tpo harden his skin, to the point he can even take a bullet without being phased or harmed, but the drawback being that the more attacks he takes, the less he can harden his skin. He is also very close with class B's Tetsutetsu, who he originally saw as a rival due to how similar their quirks were, but grew to respect after fighting him in the school's sports festival and working with him during their internship at Fourth Kind's hero agency.

Kirishima is one of the characters to get the most focus other than the protagonists, having had quite a few fights throughout the story, and seems to be one of the strongest students in his class. He had quite a few character moments, like when his motivation to enter U.A. was revealed, with him originally feeling like he would never be able to make it as a hero due to how weak his quirk was for combat (he couldn't harden himself too much at the time) and feeling like he was a coward compared to his classmate Ashido, who also wanted to be a hero. He felt like that until he watched an enterview with the hero Crimson Riot, who said having a weak quirk didn't matter as long as you had a "manly heart". Those words motivated Kirishima, and inspired him to adopt his philosophy of "manliness". After deciding to eenter U.A., Kirishima styled his hair like that of his idol, dyeing it red. He encountered his old classmate Ashido at U.A., who said she would keep who he was during middle school a secret until he was sure of his heroism.

Kirishima is an awesome character. His fights are all really good and his techniques are all very cool. Like I said, he seems like a very strong character, and I really want to see what developments will happen to him in the future.

Outfits: Kirishima usually wears his school uniform, like all of his classmates. His hero costume constitutes of a red piece of cloth with an "R" in the front of his waist, a pair of large red shoulder pads, a pair of maroon high boots and a black pair of pants. He also wears a black headpiece, that starts on his hairline and goes down to his chin. His costume leaves his chest bare, which is probably because of his whole "manliness" thing.

Sturdy Hero: Red Riot (Midway/Around Provisional License Exam Arc)

Power Level 7 (PL 8 Red Counter, PL 9 Defense, PL 10 Defense with Unbreakable) - 87 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 3, Agility 0/-1*, Fighting 5, Awareness 1
*Changed due to powers

Powers
Quirk - Hardening: (Extras: Sustained) (Flaws: Activation (Move Action), Reduced Traits (Agility 1, Dexterity 1). [13]
Protection 8 (Extras: Impervious 8. (16)

Super Move! - Red Counter: Reaction Strength-based Damage 3 (Flaws: Quirk - May only be used as a reaction if the user used Withstand Damage or Interpose). (11) -- [13]
  • AE: Super Move! - Red Gauntlet: Strength-based Damage 2. (2)
  • AE: Super Move! - Red Riot: Unbreakable: Protection 3 (Extras: Impervious +5) (Flaws: Limited to once per day, limited to only 10 turns per use, Activation: Standard Action), linked to Feature 1: Increased Mass +1 (Flaws: Limited to once per day, limited to only 10 turns per use, Activation: Standard Action), linked to Unarmed Damage +2 (Flaws: Limited to once per day, limited to only 10 turns per use, Activation: Standard Action). (3)
Advantages
All-Out Attack, Close Attack, Extraordinary Effort, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Initiative, Interpose, Power Attack, Withstand Damage

Skills
Athletics 13 (+16 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8 total).
Insight 1 (+2 total).
Intimidation 7 (+7 total).
Perception 6 (+7 total).
Persuasion 4 (+4 total).

Offense
Initiative +4/+3*
Unarmed +8, close damage 3, critical 19-20.
Unarmed (Unbreakable) +8, close damage 5, critical 19-20.
Red Gauntlet +8, close damage 5, critical 19-20.
Red Counter +8, close reaction damage 7, critical 19-20.
*Changed due to powers.

Defense
Dodge 2/1*, Fortitude 6, Parry 5, Toughness 4/12/15*, Will 9
*Changed due to powers. Impervious Toughness 4. Toughness 15 with Unbreakable, Impervious Toughness 7 with Unbreakable.

Complications

Hardening Quirk: Kirishima’s quirk causes his skin to become hard as stone (if not harder), and makes him incapable of swimming while activated, due to his increased weight.

Diminishing Effect: The more damage Kirishima absorbs with his hardened skin, the weaker his quirk becomes, making his bonus to toughness and impervious protection slowly decrease as he resists the attacks of his opponents.

Motivation: To Become a Manly Hero!: Kirishima is inspired by the Chivalrous Hero, Crimson Riot, and wants to become a professional hero similar to him one day, subscribing to his philosophy of always facing enemies and danger with a strong will and a “manly spirit”, seeing those as more important than a powerful quirk. Because of this, Kirishima tends to follow a code of honor of sorts, something that can be exploited by his enemies.

22 Abilities, 26 Powers, 7 Advantages, 20 Skills, 12 Defenses = 87 Character Points

About: A build meant to represent Kirishima around the Provisional License Exam Arc, more specifically tho, this mostly captures him during the Shie Hassaikai Arc. Kirishima is easily one of the strongest in his class by this point, mostly due to his great defense and his techniques centered around that, like his new super moves, Red Counter or Unbreakable, the latter of which being one of his most memorable and powerful techniques, where his appearance becomes very monstrous due to how much he is hardening his skin, making him stronger and much more durable. He is a PL 6.5 offensively, but a PL 8.5 defensively (10 with Unbreakable), and has a very high Impervious Protection.

Sturdy Hero: Red Riot (Now/Around Paranormal Liberation Front Arc)

Power Level 8 (PL 9 Red Counter, PL 10 Defense, PL 12 Defense with Unbreakable) - 91 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 4, Agility 0/-1*, Fighting 6, Awareness 1
*Changed due to powers

Powers
Quirk - Hardening: (Extras: Sustained) ((Flaws: Activation (Move Action), Reduced Traits (Agility 1, Dexterity 1)). [15]
Protection 10 (Extras: Impervious 8). (18)

Super Move! - Red Counter: Reaction Strength-based Damage 3 (Flaws: Quirk - May only be used as a reaction if the user used Withstand Damage or Interpose). (11) -- [13]
  • AE: Super Move! - Red Gauntlet: Strength-based Damage 2. (2)
  • AE: Super Move! - Red Riot: Unbreakable: Protection 3 (Extras: Impervious +5) (Flaws: Limited to once per day, limited to only 10 turns per use, Activation: Standard Action), linked to Feature 1: Increased Mass +1 (Flaws: Limited to once per day, limited to only 10 turns per use, Activation: Standard Action), linked to Unarmed Damage +2 (Flaws: Limited to once per day, limited to only 10 turns per use, Activation: Standard Action). (3)
Advantages
All-Out Attack, Close Attack, Extraordinary Effort, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Initiative, Interpose, Power Attack, Withstand Damage

Skills
Athletics 13 (+17 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+9 total).
Insight 1 (+2 total).
Intimidation 7 (+7 total).
Perception 6 (+7 total).
Persuasion 4 (+4 total).

Offense
Initiative +4/+3*
Unarmed +9, close damage 4, critical 19-20.
Unarmed (Unbreakable) +9, close damage 6, critical 19-20.
Red Gauntlet +9, close damage 6, critical 19-20.
Red Counter +9, close reaction damage 8, critical 19-20.
*Changed due to powers.

Defense
Defense
Dodge 2/1*, Fortitude 7, Parry 6, Toughness 4/14/17*, Will 10
*Changed due to powers. Impervious Toughness 4. Toughness 15 with Unbreakable, Impervious Toughness 7 with Unbreakable.

Complications

26 Abilities, 28 Powers, 7 Advantages, 20 Skills, 12 Defenses = 91 Character Points

About: A current build of Kirishima. Now PL 7.5 offensively and PL 10 defensively, Kirishima, with his Unbreakable power, is one of the most tanky characters in the series. He didn’t get any new super moves, so most of this build is just a small buff to what he already had.
Last edited by SolarOracle on Sun May 31, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Kirishima is awesome, period. The writer uses him to great effect, showcasing that they really get the concept of heroism and superheroes specifically.

https://youtu.be/ad-7TiYdy88

"Of course I'm scared of of villains and of dying. But I know something worse. The look of fear on the face of someone dying, and the pain of knowing I could have saved them. That's why I go in with everything I've got. I want to live a life without that kind of regret. That, to me, is what it means to be chivalrous."

https://youtu.be/7pNHSM_Xbwc

"If it breaks, harden it again! Bear it! Sacrifice yourself! I will be a hero that protects others!"

SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

Ares wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:05 pm Kirishima is awesome, period. The writer uses him to great effect, showcasing that they really get the concept of heroism and superheroes specifically.
YES! Absolutely! His fight in the Shie Hassaikai Arc is still probably one of the most memorable ones in the entire manga.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

SolarOracle wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:20 pm
Ares wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:05 pm Kirishima is awesome, period. The writer uses him to great effect, showcasing that they really get the concept of heroism and superheroes specifically.
YES! Absolutely! His fight in the Shie Hassaikai Arc is still probably one of the most memorable ones in the entire manga.
Agreed and knowing it was inspired by Mina being terrified of a villain and him standing there unable to move makes it even more awesome because he overcame that fear to become a true hero
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
SolarOracle

Anima

Post by SolarOracle »

Koda Koji (Beginning/Around USJ Arc)

Identity: Koda Koji, Public Identity.
Height: 1.86 Meters.
Hair: None.

Power Level 3 - 37 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 0, Agility 0, Fighting 2, Awareness 2
Stamina 2, Dexterity 0, Intellect 1, Presence 0

Powers
Quirk - Anivoice
Comprehend 1 (Animals). [2]
Feature: Animals tend to be friendly towards the user. [1]

Advantages
Animal Empathy, Close Attack

Skills
Deception 1 (+1 total).
Expertise (Animals) 7 (+8 total).
Expertise (Student) 4 (+5 total).
Persuasion 2 (+2 total).
Persuasion 8 (+10 total) (Flaws: Limited to animals).

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed +3, close damage 0.

Defense
Dodge 3, Fortitude 2, Parry 4, Toughness 2, Will 4

Complications

Motivation: To Become a Hero!: Koda is studying at U.A. High School's hero course, aiming to one day become a hero, much like his classmates. What type of hero he desires to be and why has been left unexplained.

Shyness: Koda is a very shy person and tends to be silent. He also struggles in social situations in general.

Fear of Bugs: Koda is scared of bugs, despite being able to control them with his quirk. He will normally try to run away in fear upon seeing bugs.

14 Abilities, 3 Powers, 2 Advantages, 11 Skills, 7 Defenses = 37 Character Points

About: Koda is a shy, kind and gentle person, contrary to his rock-monster-like appearance. Koji seems to struggle with social situations, seeming to be more comfortable with animals than with people, with him being friends with Tokoyami from his class and only seeming to only be confortable around him, probably because of Tokoyami's bird head. Koda's shyness is so pronounced that Jiro was surprised when she saw him speaking for the first time, thinking he was mute. Koda's quirk allows him to talk to animals, which he seems to usually use as a way to gather information or to command them to rescue people. He is definately not a combat oriented character in any way, with him not having even a single named attack or super move.

Koda is an intresting character to me, tho I don't know why. I dig the "gentle giant" thing, with him looking like a weird rock monster thing, but actually being very shy and kind. He hasn't really had much importance in the story overall until now, but I like how intelligently he seems to use his quirk.

Outfits: Koda usually wears his school uniform, like his classmates. His hero costume is a yellow and red suit, with a pair of yellow shorts and a mouth-like emblem on his chest, representing his power. He also wears a pair of yellow boots, two white straps over his shoulders and an orange and yellow mask, with holes over the mouth. I imagine his mask probably serves some utility, but it still hasn't been explained.

Petting Hero: Anima (Midway/Around Provisional License Exam Arc)

Power Level 4 - 50 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 1, Agility 0, Fighting 3, Awareness 2
Stamina 3, Dexterity 0, Intellect 1, Presence 0

Powers
Quirk - Anivoice

Advantages

Skills
Athletics 2 (+3 total).
Deception 1 (+1 total).
Expertise (Animals) 9 (+10 total).
Persuasion 2 (+2 total).
Persuasion 12 (+14 total) (Flaws: Limited to animals).

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed +3, close damage 1.

Defense
Dodge 4, Fortitude 3, Parry 5, Toughness 3, Will 5

Complications

Motivation: To Become a Hero!: Koda is studying at U.A. High School's hero course, aiming to one day become a hero, much like his classmates. What type of hero he desires to be and why has been left unexplained.

Shyness: Koda is a very shy person and tends to be silent. He also struggles in social situations in general.

Fear of Bugs: Koda is scared of bugs, despite being able to control them with his quirk. He will normally try to run away in fear upon seeing bugs.

20 Abilities, 3 Powers, 2 Advantages, 15 Skills, 10 Defenses = 50 Character Points

About: A build meant to represent Koda during the Provisional License Arc. I gave him a slightly better Strength and Stamina, because later on in the manga, it is stated that he seems to be physically strong, so that is probably something he is working on developing by this point, as well as his Fighting. Other than that, I gave him 2 ranks on Athletics and increased his Persuasion on animals to a total of +14, the limit for his Power Level.

Petting Hero: Anima (Now/Around Paranormal Liberation Front Arc)

Power Level 5 (PL 7 Persuasion on animals) - 57 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 2, Agility 0, Fighting 3, Awareness 2
Stamina 3, Dexterity 0, Intellect 1, Presence 0

Powers
Quirk - Anivoice

Advantages

Skills
Athletics 2 (+4 total).
Deception 1 (+1 total).
Expertise (Animals) 12 (+13 total).
Persuasion 2 (+2 total).
Persuasion 15 (+17 total) (Flaws: Limited to animals).

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed +3, close damage 2.

Defense
Dodge 4, Fortitude 3, Parry 6, Toughness 3, Will 6

Complications

22 Abilities, 3 Powers, 2 Advantages, 18 Skills, 12 Defenses = 57 Character Points

About: Koda currently in the manga. Doesn’t seem like he developed his fighting much (or at all), so the only real change is a very small buff to his defenses and another buff to his Persuasion checks on animals, with him being a PL 4.5 defensively and a PL 7 on Persuasion checks on animals.
Last edited by SolarOracle on Sun May 31, 2020 8:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SolarOracle

Sugarman

Post by SolarOracle »

Sato Rikido (Beginning/Around USJ Arc)

Identity: Sato Rikido, Public Identity.
Height: 1.85 Meters.
Hair: Brown.

Power Level 6 - 54 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 2/5*, Agility 1, Fighting 3, Awareness 0
Stamina 4/6*, Dexterity 0, Intellect 0, Presence 0
*Changed due to Powers

Powers
Quirk - Sugar Rush: (Flaws: Source - Sugar, Limited to receiving penalties on checks involving cognitive functions equivalent to the amount of sugar consumed). [4]
Enhanced Strength 3. (6)
Enhanced Stamina 2. (4)

Advantages
Close Attack 3, Great Endurance, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Power Attack

Skills
Athletics 4 (+6/+9* total).
Deception 2 (+2 total).
Expertise (Student) 4 (+4 total).
Expertise (Cooking) 6 (+6 total).
Insight 4 (+4 total).
Intimidation 6 (+6 total).
Perception 4 (+4 total).
Persuasion 4 (+4 total).
*Increased due to Powers.

Offense
Initiative +1
Unarmed +6, close damage 5, critical 19-20.

Defense
Dodge 3, Fortitude 9, Parry 5, Toughness 4/6*, Will 2

Complications

Motivation: To Become a Hero!: Sato is studying at U.A. High School's hero course, aiming to one day become a hero, much like his classmates. What type of hero he desires to be and why has been left unexplained.

Sugar Dope: Sato’s quirk reduces his cognitive functions after activating it equivalent to the amount of sugar he has consumed. Every 10 grams of sugar increase the duration of his quirk for 3 minutes, but further decrease his mental capacities.

20 Abilities, 4 Powers, 6 Advantages, 17 Skills, 7 Defenses = 53 Character Points

About: Sato is a tall, muscular guy with spiky hair and very large lips. We really haven't seen much of his personality other than him seeming not to be very smart (placing 17th in his class' exam grades) and having an intrest in sweets and baking, due to his quirk, Sugar Rush, which multiplies his strength and durability by 5, but decreases his mental capabilities, and uses the sugar in his body as fuel.

Sato is probably THE most ignored character in the series, even for the standards of backgrounders. He doesn't have a single named move, any memorable fights or any character moments. He once did, like, a rush of punches, but the caption said only Sugar Rush, his quirk name, so that wasn't a super move or anything. His design seems to be a reference to Kinnikuman, which is pretty cool to me, as I am one of the 5 or so people who actually watched that (LOL), and Muscle Hustle, the opening theme of Kinnikuman Nisei always begins to play in my head whenever I see Sato because of that.

I like Sato, probably because of how straight forward he is as a character, but also because of how strong he could be. He is kind of reduntant as a super-strength kind of character, since that was Midoriya's thing in the beginning, but with how Midoriya began favoring agility and mobility later on, I feel like Sato could be very well used in that way, and I really hope he gets a chance to shine at some point. Fight on, Sugarman!

Outfits: Sato is basically always wearing his school uniform, like all of his classmates. His hero costume is a very simple yellow bodysuit with a mask that is open behind, a pair of white gloves, a creme-collored utility belt filled with doses of sugar and a pair of white boots.

Sweets Hero: Sugarman (Midway/Around Provisional License Arc)

Power Level 6 - 61 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 2/5*, Agility 1, Fighting 4, Awareness 0
*Changed due to Powers

Powers
Quirk - Sugar Rush: (Flaws: Source - Sugar, Limited to receiving penalties on checks involving cognitive functions equivalent to the amount of sugar consumed). [4]
Enhanced Strength 3. (6)
Enhanced Stamina 2. (4)

Advantages

Skills
Athletics 8 (+10/+13* total).
Deception 2 (+2 total).
Insight 4 (+4 total).
Perception 6 (+6 total).
Persuasion 4 (+4 total).

Offense
Initiative +1
Unarmed +7, close damage 5, critical 19-20.

Defense
Dodge 4, Fortitude 9, Parry 6, Toughness 4/6*, Will 3

Complications

Motivation: To Become a Hero!: Sato is studying at U.A. High School's hero course, aiming to one day become a hero, much like his classmates. What type of hero he desires to be and why has been left unexplained.

Sugar Dope: Sato’s quirk reduces his cognitive functions after activating it equivalent to the amount of sugar he has consumed. Every 10 grams of sugar increases the duration of his quirk for 3 minutes, but further decreases his mental capacities, tho he has trained so that his mental capacities are not decreased as much as before.

22 Abilities, 4 Powers, 6 Advantages, 20 Skills, 9 Defenses = 61 Character Points

About: Sato during the Provisional License Arc. He is one of the characters to be the least developed during the manga up until now, so there really wasn’t much I added to him. This build is mostly a simple 0.5 PL upgrade to him, as he probably is developing his skills. His training seemed to consist in him decreasing the mental drainage his quirk causes on him, meaning that he didn’t get much of a power boost in general, just a smaller drawback.

Sweets Hero: Sugarman (Now/Around Paranormal Liberation Front Arc)

Power Level 7 - 67 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 2/5*, Agility 1, Fighting 5, Awareness 0
*Changed due to Powers

Powers
Enhanced Strength 3. (6)
Enhanced Stamina 2. (4)

Advantages

Skills
Athletics 10 (+12/+15* total).
Deception 2 (+2 total).
Insight 4 (+4 total).
Perception 6 (+6 total).
Persuasion 4 (+4 total).

Offense
Initiative +1
Unarmed +8, close damage 5, critical 19-20.

Defense
Dodge 5, Fortitude 11, Parry 7, Toughness 4/6*, Will 4

Complications

Sugar Dope: Sato’s quirk reduces his cognitive functions after activating it equivalent to the amount of sugar he has consumed. Every 10 grams of sugar increases the duration of his quirk for 3 minutes, but further decreases his mental capacities, tho he has trained so that his mental capacities are not decreased as much as before.

24 Abilities, 4 Powers, 6 Advantages, 21 Skills, 12 Defenses = 67 Character Points

About: Sato currently. He hasn’t gained anything new, so this is just a 0.5 PL upgrade. He is now a PL 6.5 and still has no super moves or any versatility whatsoever. Truly, the most ignored character in the series.