Solar's Build Thread - The In-Between-Updates Update!

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
MarvelLion

Re: Solar's Build Thread - Boku no VILLAIN Academia Update

Post by MarvelLion »

Nice job with Mr Compress!
I hate to sound like a broken record, but I can't say much, because your words sum up my feelings about Compress pretty much to the letter. One other thing that I like about him is that, rare situations aside (Such as Magne's death.), he's pretty much always polite, even to his foes.

One small suggestion: Maybe add Precise to his Quirk? Since he's able to turn either entire people or objects into marbles, or just part of them?
Ian Turner

Re: Mr. Compress

Post by Ian Turner »

SolarOracle wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 3:57 pm His skills pair incredibly well with his quirk, Compress, which allows him to turn anything he touches into a small blue marble, which he can undo at will, a power he uses to capture enemies or for more strategic uses, like quickly releasing objects to serve as barriers or to dig through the earth by turning portions of it into marbles.
I love this about My Hero Academia.

Any other super franchise and it's all about 'this dude shoots lightning' and 'this chick flies,' but with MHA, it's all 'this dude turns people into tiny marbles and squirrels them away in his pockets!' Such amazing creativity.

I mean, I'm a fan of the Legion, which has oddball powers like matter-eating and bouncing and NPCs with powers like Arm-Falls-Off Boy, but this is just next level creative and offbeat!
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

MarvelLion wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:27 pm One small suggestion: Maybe add Precise to his Quirk? Since he's able to turn either entire people or objects into marbles, or just part of them?
Oh, that's a pretty good call actually! Thanks for the sugestion, dude.
MarvelLion

Post by MarvelLion »

SolarOracle wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:25 pm
MarvelLion wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:27 pm One small suggestion: Maybe add Precise to his Quirk? Since he's able to turn either entire people or objects into marbles, or just part of them?
Oh, that's a pretty good call actually! Thanks for the sugestion, dude.
Happy to help!

Also, how satisfying was it to see Compress "disarm" (I am not sorry for that joke.) Overhaul, give that smug grin and coolly say, "For the arm"?
SolarOracle

Magne

Post by SolarOracle »

Magne

Identity: Hikiishi Kenji, Public Identity.
Height: Unknown.
Weight: Unknown.
Eyes: Brown.
Hair: Red.
Skin: Tanned.
Quirk Type: Emitter.
Group: League of Villains.
Base of Operations: Japan.

Power Level 7 - 139 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 2, Agility 0, Fighting 5, Awareness 3
Stamina 4, Dexterity 2, Intellect 1, Presence 1

Powers
Quirk - Magnetism

Feature 10: User may magnetically polarize anyone within 15 ft. of them. [10]

Opposite Polarization: Perception Range Affliction 7 (Hindered and Vulnerable/Immobile and Defenseless) (Extras: Extra Condition, Multiattack) (Flaws: Limited Degree, Limited to only working if user targets two targets who have opposite polarizations, Quirk - The Multiattack Extra may not be used with the Single Target benefit), linked to Perception Range Move Object 7 (Extras: Multiattack) (Flaws: Limited to towards targets of opposite polarizations, Quirk - The Multiattack Extra may not be used with the Single Target benefit). (40) -- [42]
  • AE: Same Polarization: Perception Range Move Object 7 (Extras: Multiattack) (Flaws: Limited to away from targets of same polarizations, Quirk - The Multiattack Extra may not be used with the Single Target benefit). (20)
  • AE: Super Move! - Repulsion Breakup: Moonlight Flight Cannon: Leaping 4 (120 ft.) (Extras: Affects Others Only) (Flaws: Increased Action - Standard Action, Quirk 2 - Requires the assistance of an ally of the same gender as the one gaining the leap benefit by them performing a standard action). (1)

Support Item - Giant Magnet: (Flaws: Easily Removable). [6]
Strength-based Damage 3. (3)
Attraction: Move Object 7 (Flaws: Limited to towards user, Quirk - may not attract both positively and negatively polarized targets on the same turn). (6) -- (7)
  • AE: Repulsion: Move Object 7 (Flaws: Limited to away from user, Quirk - may not repel both positively and negatively polarized targets on the same turn). (6)

Advantages
All-Out Attack, Assessment, Close Attack 2

Skills
Athletics 4
(+6 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+10 total).
Close Combat (Magnet) 2 (+9 total).
Deception 4 (+5 total).
Expertise (Criminal) 6 (+7 total).
Insight 6 (+9 total).
Intimidation 4 (+5 total).
Perception 9 (+12 total).
Persuasion 4 (+5 total).

Offense
Initiative +0

Unarmed +10, close damage 2.
Magnet +9, close damage 5.

Defense
Dodge 7, Fortitude 7, Parry 10, Toughness 4, Will 6

Complications

Motivation: To Create a Free World: Magne dreams of a world where she can truly be herself and live life the way she wants to. She is willing to kill, rob and partake in villany if that’s what it takes to achieve that world.

Prejudice: Transsexual: It’s been heavily implied that Magne’s transsexuality has caused her to suffer great prejudice, possibly being one of the factors to bring her to a life of villlany.

Gender-based Powers: Magne’s quirk has a different effect depending on the gender (or maybe bioological sex, it is not explicitly stated, but the most common assumption is that it is based on gender) of the person she is affecting, with women gaining a polarization of north and men gaining a polarization of south. Additionally, she cannot magnetize herself with her quirk.

34 Abilities, 58 Powers, 4 Advantages, 21 Skills, 22 Defenses = 139 Character Points

About: Magne is a particularly violent and observative member of the League of Villains, having commited several crimes before even having joined up with the League, and being very good at making tactical decisions quickly. Her quirk, Magnetism, allows her to magnetically charge people based on their gender, though she cannot magnetize herself, with males getting a south polarization and females getting a north polarization, something she uses to immobilize others or to pull people towards her with her magnet so she can overwhelm them with her great strentgh.

It's been heavily implied that Magne's main motrivation for becoming a villain has been the prejudices and discriminations she has faced throughout her life as a trans woman, turning to villany in retaliation against a world who won't accept her for who she is, and joining withg the League after Stain's capture for her desire to be finally free. These similar ideals made her become quicck friends with Toga, who was also cast aside due to social norms and rejection of who she really is, having to deal with repression and all that.

Magne first appears in the Forest Training arc, where her great tactical intellect and keen perception proved very useful, as she was the one to decide that they should take down Pixie-Bob first, since her quirk was the one that would cause the most trouble for the League, and to capture Ragdoll as soon as possible to increase the panic due to them losing access to her quirk. She managed to keep up with Tiger and Mandalay when she and Spinner were facing off against both of them, being capable of dodginbg their attacks really well and powering through some pretty heavy hits. Aditionally, thanks to her keen observation, she was able to immediately tell that Midoriya had taken down Muscular just by looking at him and noticing his wounds, trying to take him down immediately so he wouldn't be a greater threat in the future, but was stopped by Spinner. Both of them were then defeated by Tiger and Mandalay, but end up being rescued by Kurogiri's Warp Gate.

Later, in the Hideout Raid arc, she attempts to stop the U.A. students from rescuing Bakugo by shooting Mr. Compress high in the air to attack them, but ends up being blocked by Mt. Lady. She starts to prepare herself to shoot Twice on the heroes instead, but Gran Torino quickly arrives at the scene with his great speed and takes down both her and Spinner. While she was unconscious, All For One uses a forced quirk activation power on her incapacitated body to magnetize all League members to fly towards Toga, safely warping them all away to safety.

Her final appearance is during the Shie Hassaikai arc, where upon meeting with Overhaul and him telling the League that he wants them to work for him as his goons, she ends up becoming very pissed off, remembering a conversation with a trans friend of hers who told her how much she admired Magne for taking some form of action against society's injustices instead of just conforming, and that she greatly admired her for that. Due to this, Magne attempted to attack Overhaul, but ended up being immediately killed by his quirk, something that saddened and extremely pissed off the rest of the League, who then started to employ their plan against Overhaul.

Magne is an pretty cool character, and another example of great trans representation in Boku no Hero, with her motivation of wanting to create a world where she can be herself and not be subject to judgement or biggotry being one that made her extremely popular and sympathetic to LGBTQ+ fans and stuff. Her quirk is pretty unique, and I like her creative usage of it, using it to shoot others into the air and to pull people towards her so she can beat them up. There's also a lot of speculation that the fact that she couldn't magnetize herself with it might have been a factor in her questioning her gender, which is a pretty interesting thing. A small thing that bothers me is that she was never was able to use her quirk on Tiger when they fought, which would have given us a clear answer to if her quirk is based on the target's gender identity or biological sex, which isn't entirely clear, and since she is dead, I guess we will never know for sure.

She has a single named Super Move, the Repulsion Breakup: Moonlight Flight Cannon, which is her holding onto someone and magnetizing both them and some other person of the same gender, shooting the other person high into the air at great speeeds, something that is very useful for mobility and stuff.

I am VERY unsatisfied with this build. I really couldn't find any way of making her powers work without it looking poluted as fuck, so I settled on it being based on her magnetizing other people as a standard action and then being able to use her other effects on targets that are magnetized on her subsequent turns, to force them to move towards or away from each other and immobilize them and stuff, as well as pulling them close with her magnet, but it ended up really poluted. Not helping is the fact that I ended up making a bunch of similar AEs and gave some to her magnet support item. I also feel like she is lacking on advantages, but I didn't find many more that would fit.

Outfits: Magne wears casual and stylish clothes as her villain costume, like a salmon colored unbottoned shirt, a white v-neck t-shirt, a pair of jeans, a pair of brown shoes and a pair of wide frame sunglasses.
MarvelLion

Post by MarvelLion »

Nice Magne!
I think you did well with her Quirk, I don't think it's polluted at all.
Magne was cool character. I liked her wit, and I was disappointed when she got knocked off by Overhaul. At the same time though, I enjoyed seeing how her death affected the rest of the League, especially Shigaraki, him seemingly not caring at first, only to reveal that he was really in deep thought about how to best get revenge on the Hassaikai. They were already tight with each other, but losing Magne seemed to truly bring them together. Still, a shame that we didn't get to see her do more.
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

MarvelLion wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:51 pm Nice Magne!
I think you did well with her Quirk, I don't think it's polluted at all.
Thanks, I'm glad to know that. All the linked effects and stuff made me feel like it was a confusing read and stuff, IDK.
MarvelLion wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:51 pm Magne was cool character. I liked her wit, and I was disappointed when she got knocked off by Overhaul. At the same time though, I enjoyed seeing how her death affected the rest of the League, especially Shigaraki, him seemingly not caring at first, only to reveal that he was really in deep thought about how to best get revenge on the Hassaikai. They were already tight with each other, but losing Magne seemed to truly bring them together. Still, a shame that we didn't get to see her do more.
Her death being a catalyst to the League becoming even more united is something that I always thought was cool, especially in regards to the guilt it caused Twice due to him feeling indirectly responsible and how pissed Toga was, since she seemed to be the one Magne was the closest to. I think that was probably the first moment of genuine humanization the League recieved in the series, and probably the moment they started to feel like complex and interesting characters.
SolarOracle

Muscular

Post by SolarOracle »

Fanart by Zack Chua

Muscular (Beginning/Forest Training Arc)

Identity: Imasuji Goto, Public Identity.
Height: 2 meters.
Eyes: Black. Prosthetic left eye.
Hair: Ash blonde.
Skin: Fair.
Quirk Type: Transformation.

Power Level 9 - 91 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 3/10, Agility 1, Fighting 5, Awareness 0
Stamina 4, Dexterity 0, Intellect 0, Presence 1
*Increased with powers.

Powers
Quirk - Muscle Augmentation

Enhanced Strength 7. [14]
Protection 7. [7]
Leaping 1 (15 feet). [1]
Speed 2 (15 Km/H or 30 MpH). [2]

Advantages
All-out Attack, Close Attack, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Move-by Action, Power Attack

Skills
Athletics 3
(+6/+13 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8 total).
Deception 3 (+4 total).
Expertise (Criminal) 8 (+8 total).
Intimidation 9 (+10 total).
Perception 6 (+6 total).
Persuasion 1 (+1 total).

Offense
Initiative +5
Unarmed
+8, close damage 3.
Muscular Augmentation +8, close damage 10.

Defense
Dodge 5, Fortitude 9, Parry 7, Toughness 4/11*, Will 5
*11 with powers.

Complications

Motivation: Slaughter: Muscular doesn’t seem to have any clear reason behind his villainy aside from his love of killing and attacking others.

Prosthetic Eye: Muscular lost his left eye during a fight in the past, and now wears a prosthetic piece in its place.

Weakness: Muscle Fiber Rupture: Muscular’s exposed muscle fibers can be ruptured by absorbing powerful attacks. Up to the DMs discretion, if Muscular takes heavy damage, his ranks in Protection and Enhanced Strength may start to diminish.

28 Abilities, 24 Powers, 6 Advantages, 17 Skills, 16 Defenses = 91 Character Points

About: Muscular is a particularly cruel and vicious villain who enjoys attacking and killing others, who was briefly a member of the League of Villains before being captured. His quirk, Muscle Augmentation, allows him to control and rapidly multiply his muscles and muscle fibers, to the point they grow even outside of his skin, giving him monstrous strength, speed and resistance, which he used in combat to deliver fast and devastating blows to his enemies, as well as to better resist incoming attacks by making it act as armor.

At some point in the past, Muscular went on a killing spree and ended up having to fight the hero duo known as Water Hose. Though he managed to kill them, they ended up heavily injuring him with their water quirks, scarring the left side of his face and making him lose his left eye, which he had to replace with a prosthetic piece.

He first appears in the story during the Forest Training arc, having joined with the League of Villains after the capture of Stain, and being part of the League's assembled squad. When the villains started attacking the training camp, Muscular coincidentaly ran into Koda, the young son of the Water Hose hero duo he had killed years prior who was being raised by Mandalay. He attempts to kill the young boy, but Midoriya ends up ariving just in time. They end up fighting and Muscular has the advantage during most of it, managing to tank the attacks Midoriya can deal and delivering very powerful attacks to Midoriya again and again, who ends up terribly bruised as the fight goes on, both from the hits he is taking and as a result of his lack of control of One For All's power accumulation. However, despite this, Midoriya ends up managing to pull ahead in the end, delivering an attack with all his might and breaking through Muscular's defenses, knocking him out and leading to his enprisonment at the end of the arc.

Muscular reappears much later, at the start of the current story arc in the manga (which is apparently called "The Villain Hunt arc." What a dumb name), now refered to as "Jailbreaker" and seemingly even stronger than before, being able to create even more muscle fibers. He is among the group of villains that All For One broke out of Tartarus, but he doesn't seem to have joined with the other villains, instead prefering to go out on his own to start his rampage again by himself. During all this, he ends up fighting off against hero student Grand from Ketsubutsu Academy, who attacks his with powerful shockwaves. Muscular manages to fight off Grand with no problem however, and attempts to kill him, only for the hero student tto be rescued by Midoriya.

Muscular is very excited to finally get his chance at revenge, but Midoriya proves to be a much greater challenge then before thanks to his newfound mastery of the other One For All quirks and general skill. Muscular ends up being defeated by a single powerful attack from Midoriya, due to his muscle fibers having been weakened by Grand's shockwaves from before, and ends up being captured again.

Muscular is a fun character, in the sense of him being the completely black and white bad guy psycho murderer you can wait to see the heroes kick the ass of. Narratively, he mostly serves to be the first "boss fight" Midoriya ends up having one-on-one, where Midoriya not only has to prove his heroic spirit by protecting Koda during the fight, but also has to manage to use his power with greater skill than before, since his usual usage of his quirk is only resulting in him injuring himself and stuff. All things considered, it's pretty bad for the League that Muscular had zero strategic thinking whatsoever, since he was the strongest guy in their ranks by far.

Him returning later I think is mostly to illustrate how much stronger Midoriya has become, now being able to defeat him with minimal effort and with completely different tactics, while also serving to parallel their first fight, with Midoriya rescuing someone from their impending death right before the start of the fight and all that.

Outfits: Muscular wears revealing and light clothing to better utilize his quirk, like a tanktop or a light shirt with a pair of loose pants and boots.

Jailbreaker (Currently/Post-Tartarus Breakout)

Identity: Imasuji Goto, Public Identity.
Height: 2 meters.
Eyes: Black. Prosthetic left eye.
Hair: Ash blonde.
Quirk Type: Transformation.

Power Level 11 - 102 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 4/12, Agility 1, Fighting 6, Awareness 0
Stamina 4, Dexterity 0, Intellect 0, Presence 1
*Increased with powers.

Powers
Quirk - Muscle Augmentation

Enhanced Strength 8. [16]
Protection 9. [9]
Leaping 2 (30 feet). [2]
Speed 2 (15 Km/H or 30 MpH). [2]

Advantages
All-out Attack, Close Attack, Improved Grab, Improved Initiative, Move-by Action, Power Attack

Skills
Athletics 3
(+7/+15 total).
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+9 total).
Deception 3 (+4 total).
Expertise (Criminal) 8 (+8 total).
Intimidation 11 (+12 total).
Perception 6 (+6 total).
Persuasion 1 (+1 total).

Offense
Initiative +5
Unarmed
+9, close damage 4.
Muscular Augmentation +9, close damage 12.

Defense
Dodge 6, Fortitude 10, Parry 8, Toughness 4/13*, Will 7
*11 with powers.

Complications

Motivation: Slaughter: Muscular doesn’t seem to have any clear reason behind his villainy aside from his love of killing and attacking others.

Prosthetic Eye: Muscular lost his left eye during a fight in the past, and now wears a prosthetic piece in its place.

Weakness: Muscle Fiber Rupture: Muscular’s exposed muscle fibers can be ruptured by absorbing powerful attacks. Up to the DMs discretion, if Muscular takes heavy damage, his ranks in Protection and Enhanced Strength may start to diminish.

28 Abilities, 29 Powers, 6 Advantages, 17 Skills, 22 Defenses = 102 Character Points

About: A build representing Muscular, or as he is refered to during that arc, Jailbreaker, after his breakout of Tartarus in the Villain Hunt arc. This is a simple 1.5 PL upgrade, leaving him at PL 10.5 both offensively and defensively, now able to increase his muscles to the point they look almost like a gross fleshy carapace thing and taking hits from the likes of Grand, as well as making incredible building-sized leaps. How he managed to become so powerful while imprisoned and wearing quirk-preventing technology that didn't allow him to use or train his quirk is anyone's guess.
Last edited by SolarOracle on Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
MarvelLion

Post by MarvelLion »

Muscular is indeed cool, but also kind of disappointing. Like you said, I was hoping he would have more combat smarts to him to really give the League an edge, especially after they lost the USJ Nomu, but I knew it wasn't likely given that his original appearance with the cloak and mask gave off serious Jason Vorhees vibes. I also wish we could have seen more of him, since he tanked Deku's 100% One For All, but oh well. As for him being stronger despite being in Tartarus, I figured that was just a quick power-up given to him by All For One.

Good build, though! Can't wait to see who's next!
SolarOracle

Mustard

Post by SolarOracle »

Fanart by Yanalí Cruz
Couldn't find the source for this fanart, sorry.

Mustard

Identity: Unknown.
Eyes: Brown.
Hair: Light brown.

Power Level 6 (PL 8 quirk) - 181 Character Points

Abilities
Strength -1, Agility 0, Fighting 0, Awareness 1
Stamina 1, Dexterity 1, Intellect 2, Presence 0

Powers
Quirk - Gas

Area 6 (900 ft. Cloud) Affliction 8 (Impaired/Disabled/Incapacitated) (Extras: Cumulative, Reduced Action - Move Action), liked to Area 6 (900 ft. Cloud) Damage 5 (Extras: Alternate Resistance - Fortitude, Reduced Action - Move Action), linked to Environment 6 (Visibility 2) (900 ft. Cloud) (Extras: Reduced Action - Move Action). [122]
Senses 2 (Ranged and Extended Touch) (Flaws: Quirk - Only inside the gas area). [2]

Support Item - .38 Revolver: (Flaws: Easily Removable). [6]
Ranged Damage 4. (8)

Support Item - Gas Mask: (Flaws: Removable). [8]
Immunity 10 (Air-borne Effects). (10)

Advantages
Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 3, Taunt

Skills
Athletics 2
(+1 total).
Deception 5 (+5 total).
Expertise (Criminal) 2 (+4 total).
Insight 4 (+5 total).
Perception 7 (+8 total).
Persuasion 2 (+2 total).
Ranged Combat (Pistols) 4 (+8 total).
Sleight of Hand 2 (+3 total).

Offense
Initiative +0
Unarmed
+0, close damage -1.
Revolver +8, ranged damage 4.

Defense
Dodge 6, Fortitude 6, Parry 2, Toughness 1, Will 4

Complications

Motivation: To End Hero Society: Mustard dislikes the state of hero society and the elitism associated with it. He joins with the League of Villains to assist in causing its downfall hoping to create a better society.

Prideful: Mustard is very confident in his skills and in his quirk and is very boastful about it, making him a very difficult person.

Vulnerable to Own Powers: Mustard is vulnerable to his own poisonous gas and thus must always wear his gas mask while using it not to be affected.

Growing Area: Mustard’s quirk, when activated, starts off in a small area and takes a few turns of continuous use for it to be able to reach its maximum area. Additionally, the gas becomes less concentrated the further away from Mustard it is, so opponents too far away gain bonus to saves made against Mustard’s Quirk if the DM decides they are far away enough, with the penalty to visibility imposed by the gas also being proportionally reduced.

8 Abilities, 138 Powers, 5 Advantages, 14 Skills, 16 Defenses = 181 Character Points

About: Mustard is a kid who was a member of the League of Villains during the Forest Training arc, acting prideful and showing a great amount of cruelty. His quirk, Gas, allows him to create a cloud of dense toxic purple gas around him that continues to expand the more he uses his quirk. He can sense vibrations on the poisonous mist he creates, being able to notice people entering it to attack him and the like, and using his quirk both to obscure the vision of his enemies and to slowly kill groups of enemies through his ever expanding poison cloud.

Mustard also seemed to have some form of jealousy associated with his character, tauting the U.A. kids he was fighting by questioning the merit of their elite school, and that is honestly the only real character clue we have for him, other than the fact that he was extremely cruel and didn't seem to be affected whatsoever on the weight of his actions.

He joined up with the League after the arrest of Stain, and was an integral part of their vanguard squad when they ambushed the U.A. kids in the Forest Training arc, his quirk being responsible for taking out most of class 1-B and some class 1-A U.A. students and difficulting the navigation and communication through the forest due to his quirk limiting visibility and being a threat to people in the area.

He ends up fighting against Tetsutetsu and Kendo from class 1-B, who put on gas masks to be able to navigate through his deadly mist, and he was able to notice their approach due to him sensing the vibrations on the gas. He managed to keep them at bay by shooting their masks off and repeatedly shooting Tetsutetsu with his gun to make it difficult for him to move and force him to suffocate on his quirk, all while taking advantage of the limited visibility and taunting the two by telling them they rely on their quirk and brute force way too much.

As the fight progresses, however, the pair manages to take Mustard down by having Kendo use her quirk strategically and swing her oversized hands around to create air currents and disperse the gas, increasing visibility and allowing for Tetstetsu to punch Mustard in the face while he was distracted by Kendo, breaking his gas mask and instantly knocking him out.

Mustard is a very meh character, with how little we get to know about him and how much of an ass he is compared to the other extremely charismatic League members, though his power is admitedly very unique and interesting. Hell, I probably like Moonfish more than him. I like his role in the story, all that said tho, since he finally gives some of the class B students a chance to shine, being the only antagonist to be taken down by U.A. students without class A being involved in some way, and finally gave Tetsutetsu, whom I love, a chance to shine.

He is another one of those characters that have a really big fandom and I'm not entirely surte why. I think it probably has to do with his unique power and cool design, with the spooky gas mask and all that, which made for a very threatening figure while surrounded by the purple mist. Really wish we got more tangible information about his character tho.

It's also kind of interesting how his quirk is like a much more overpowered and busted version of Midnighjt's quirk, since it not only puts people to sleep, but also poisons, suffocates and eventually kills them, paired with the whole "dense mist that obstructs vision" part of it. I always thought that Mustard was inspired by the Mad Gasser of Mattoon, since his quirk has similar numbness-inducing effects, but it's more likely that he is just based on, like, chemical warfare and the uniforms associated with it in a more general way.

As for the build itself, a VERY big thanks to the people on the Echoes Discord for helping me figure out how to make his quirk feel less like insane ramblings, Squirrelly-Sama especially, who reccomended making most of the limitations of his power as Complications instead of as flaws, which helped condense his power A LOT! I made his Gas quirk a move action so he can shoot his gun while still maintaining and expanding it. He has a very low Parry, since his fightring style mostly relies on his opponents passing out before even reaching him and shooting from afar with his gun. How did a child like him even get a gun anyways?

Outfits: Mustard's villain costume is a school uniform with a backpack that is connected to his gas mask. He also wears a pair of blue gloves and a pair of white sneakers.
MarvelLion

Post by MarvelLion »

Good job with Mustard! You and Squirrely did a good job statting out his Quirk.
I'm with you on him being a very bland and uninteresting character, too, and I agree that Moonfish was even more interesting, which is really saying something. As for his apparent popularity, without getting too negative, I find at times that people like characters similar to Mustard because of his arrogance and holier-than-thou attitude, because they seem to (At least subconsciously.) identify with it. But, like you said, it was cool that Battle Fist and Real Steel got a chance to shine. It's actually what got me truly interested in the two of them.

As for a preteen in Japan having a gun? I assumed he got it through Giran.
SolarOracle

Post by SolarOracle »

MarvelLion wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:14 pm But, like you said, it was cool that Battle Fist and Real Steel got a chance to shine. It's actually what got me truly interested in the two of them.
Yeah, I think them finally getting to do stuff, right after the end of the tournament arc where they were introduced was kind of brilliant, since it managed to take characters the audience had some familiarity and both humanise them and show them doing cool stuff in combat.
MarvelLion wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:14 pm As for a preteen in Japan having a gun? I assumed he got it through Giran.
Ooooooh, yeah, that makes a lot of sense. I should have probably thought of that, LOL.
SolarOracle

Moonfish

Post by SolarOracle »

Fanart by HenLP

Moonfish

Identity: Unknown.
Eyes: Black.
Hair: Unknown.
Skin: Pale.

Power Level 7 (PL 11 Quirk) - 102 Character Points

Abilities
Strength 0, Agility 1, Fighting 2, Awareness 0
Stamina 2, Dexterity 0, Intellect 0, Presence 0

Powers
Quirk - Blade-Tooth

Elongation 4 (Flaws: Limited 2 - To Teeth). [1]

Walk With Teeth: Movement 4 (Sure Footed 2, Wall Crawling 2). [8]
Enhanced Advantages 2 (Evasion 2). [2]
Speed 2 (15 Km/H or 8 MpH) (Flaws: Limited to Teeth). [1]

Blade Teeth: Ranged Damage 12 (Extras: Multiattack, Accurate 5, Improved Critical). (42) -- [44]
  • AE: Blade Teeth (Line): Area (30 ft. Line) Damage 11 (Extras: Selective). (33)
  • AE: Blade Teeth (Cone): Area (60 ft. Cone) Damage 11 (Extras: Selective). (33)
Advantages
All-out Attack, Improved Critical (Teeth), Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Prone Fighting

Skills
Athletics 2
(+2 total).
Expertise (Criminal) 5 (+5 total).
Intimidation 6 (+6 total).
Perception 3 (+3 total).

Offense
Initiative +5
Unarmed
+2, close damage 0.
Blade Teeth +10, ranged damage 12, critical 18-20.
Blade Teeth (Line), close 30 ft. line area damage 11.
Blade Teeth (Cone), close 60 ft. cone area damage 11.

Defense
Dodge 12, Fortitude 5, Parry 8, Toughness 2, Will 8

Complications

Insanity: Moonfish seems to have some kind of condition that drives him to commit his crimes. This leads to him having a strange pattern of speech and general displays of psychotic insanity.

Straightjacket: Moonfish wears a straightjacket and cannot use his arms. This means he is incapable of easily manipulating objects while in costume.

10 Abilities, 56 Powers, 4 Advantages, 8 Skills, 24 Defenses = 102 Character Points

About: Moonfish is serial killer and death row escapee who was a member of the League of Vilains during the Forest Training arc, having just escaped from prison to avoid his eexecution. His quirk, Blade-Tooth, allows him to quickly lengthen his teeth and make them be as sharp as blades, delivering devastating area attacks on his enemies, but also using the great strength of his teeth to lift himself up in the air for protection during his fights, being able to attack from safety looking like some kind of weird blade spider monster.

Moonfish doesn't really have a clear motivation, with the closest to an implication we got being that he feels compelled to kill, maim and eat others due to his lunacy, possibly an unfortunate result of his quirk's effects on his psyche. This also leads him to have a strange pattern of speach, where he constantly talks to himself and mumbles a lot, speaking with a very lethargic and breathy voice. Thematically connecting to this, also, he constantly wears a straightjacket.

After joining with the league and going on the mission to attack the U.A. students during the Forest Training arc, Moonfish hid away in the forest, using his quirk to hoist himself up in the air and attack others with his blade attacks when the opportunity arose, ambushing Shoji and Tokoyami. This resulted in Shoji being injured and, in his desperation and confusion, paired with the darkness of the forest, resulted in Tokoyami losing control of his quirk, which then proceeded to indiscriminately attack everything in sight in an attempt to protect its user as Shoji managed to escape.

Shortly after, Bakugo and Todoroki end up running into Moonfish as well, and proceed to try to fight him off, but have difficulty doing so due to Moonfish's height advantage and powerful attacks, paired with the boys not being able to use their maximum attack potency due to them being afraid they could start a fire in the forest, being limited to block Moonfish's attacks with Todoroki's walls of ice.

As the situation progresses, Midoriya ends up arriving at the scene, manipulating Dark Shadow into attacking Moonfish, easily knocking him out, and then taking advantage of the great light emitted by Bakugo and Todoroki's quirks to weaken Dark Shadow and allow Tokoyami to finally regain control of his powers. At the end of the arc, Moonfish is captured and put into Tartarus.

He then briefly reappears at the start of the current manga arc, the "Villain Hunt arc" (bleh!), having been freed from Tartarus by All For One and presumably joining up with his group, tho we are still to see the results of this. If he ends up having significant changes on his abilities when he shows up again, I'll update his build with his new abilities, I guess, we'll see.

Moonfish is one of the most meh antagonists on the whole series. Muscular and Toga do a much better job of being the League's obligatory psychos and he has a severe lack of personality and character, to the point where he isn't shown interacting with the rest of the League even once. The only thing he really has going for him is his unique as hell quirk, which he uses in a sort of Doctor Octopus-ish way by going high in the air and using his sharp teeth to get better footing and stuff, and then using it to attack from afar and all that. I like his design tho, which is heavily and obviously inspired by the cenobites from Hellraiser. Like, it being a straightjacket that covers his entire body except for his mouth and that is hooked to his inner mouth to constantly expose his teeth is just a really unique, cool and scary look.

I was kind of unsure of how to represent him using his quirk to lift himself in the air, but ended up settling for doing it as an elongation effect paired with thew associated Movement effects and a speed effect. Jab's Doc Oc build helped me a lot with deciding on how to do this one, so big thanks, LOL. Other than that, he has a great disparity between his defensive and offensive PL, since he mostly relies on staying out of the way while shooting out his area and ranged attacks by using elevation to his favor, and delivering INSANELY powerful attacks, able to make people like Bakugo and Todoroki retreat. This ended up giving him one of the highest offensive PLs in the entire league, higher than even Muscular.

Outfits: Moonfish wears a black and grey stylized straightjacket with red detailing, that merges with a black mask that covers his enbtire face except for his mouth, that is constantly held open by hooks attacked to its inside. Due to his outfit, his hands are tied the entire time, meaning he can't really manipulate objects while wearing it, only really being able to use his quirk for stuff.
MarvelLion

Post by MarvelLion »

Moonfish's Quirk is definitely kind of tricky, but I think you got it. It is unfortunate that, with his Quirk and Cenobite appearance, he was a pretty generic psycho villain. (Though still more interesting than Mustard, in my opinion.) Despite all of that, though, you have to give the man credit for being a professional: A couple of times, he starts to get lost in his cravings for flesh, but then snaps out of it and says, "No! Have to do the job!"

Murderer, cannibal and escaped death row inmate? Sure. But he's got real work ethic!

ETA: Now I'm imagining Giran scouting Moonfish..
Giran: "Okay, Mr Fish, what makes you think you would be a good fit for the League of Villains? My clients are very exclusive."
Moonfish: "Well, as you can see from my resumé, I have much experience in related fields of expertise, and... Uhhh, are you going to eat that hand?"
SolarOracle

Nomu

Post by SolarOracle »

Possibly the biggest asset of the League of Villains, the Nomu, a word that means "brainless," are a group of beings created through the dead body of quirk users, all invented and developed by Dr. Garaki to be used as troops by All For One and his allies. They are able to hold multiple quirks, provided to Dr. Garaki by All For One himself, making him very important in the creation of nomu, tho Dr. Garaki still could make them at a much slower pace without AFO's assistance.

The nomu are separated into various tiers, based on the number of quirks they can hold and their combat capabilities, ranging from the extremely weak low-tier nomu to the iincredible destructive potential of high-end nomu, who are on par with top-ranking combat focused heroes, and who take the combined effort of many heroes to take down. The nomu of the high-end tier, additionally, have the unique characteristic of being able to have indpendant thought and being capable of communication, unlike other nomu.

The nomu are pretty cool enemies throughout the series with how out there their designs can be, able to stand out even in a series known for its unique character designs, and how grotesque their quirk combos manage to be at times. They all have an exposed brain somewhere as part of their design and tend to have unnatural skin colors, tending to dark shades of purple and grey. The high-end nomu and near high-ends also have glowing streched out eyes as part of their design.

Throughout the series, the cast ends up fighting against nomus a few times, with the first big fight of the series being All Might against a nomu designed to counter him during the USJ arc, but All Might still managint to overwhelm and defeat it. After that, Shigaraki unleashes a group of 3 low to middle-tier nomu to attack the city during the fight against Stain, to cause more chaos. The next time a nomu shows up is during the Forest Training arc, where a nomu is put under Dabi's control to assist in the attack against the U.A. students, being then exploited by Yaoyorozu to locate the secret base of the villains. A while after that, Endeavor has a big fight against Hood, a powerful high-end nomu who almost manages to kill him, but Endeavor ends up successfully beating him in the end. Lastly, a looooot of high-end and near high-end nomu appear in the Paranormal Liberation Front arc, being the Front's most powerful soldiers and being the ones responsible to most of the fighting we end up seeing from the pro heroes.

Interestingly, throughout the series and in some spinoff meedia, we end up seeing a bit of the process that lead to the creation of the nomus as they currently are, with Number 6, the main antagonist of Vigilantes, being a prototype nomu of sorts, and Gigantomachia being Dr. Garaki's first successful nomu prototype, tho at the cost of his intellect. Throughout the seriees, we learn that only nomu are capable of handling having many quirks in their body without suffering heavily physically due to it, with other characters that were given multiple quirks, like Nine from thye second movie, tho recent revelations on the manga suggest that quirkless people might be better equip to handle having multiple quirks.

Build-wise, I decided to make them lacking in Intellect and Presence, since they are unable to communicate and show an almost non-existent degree of thought. It's stated that their mind is feral and maybe closer to an animal's or the like, since it's been said that they keep aspects of their previous personality even as nomu, but I felt like it being absent might have been a better representation of their alien nature displayed throughout the series. I initially was gonna do independent builds for each nomu we see in action, but since most of them are very similar, I decided not to, only really doing unique builds to Mocha and Johnny (and I guess Kurogiri as well) and doing the rest as template builds for each nomu tier. I feel like that might not have been the best idea for the high-ends, since they are very distinct between each other compared to the other nomu we end up seeing, but I still felt like the ones we saw actually doing stuff were very similar outside of their quirks and some minor differences here and there that were easily alterable (like one having slightly lower Fighting or Close Attack ranks and higher Ranged Attack ranks and stuff).