The World In The Aftermath (Formerly A World Less Magical)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
MacynSnow

Re: A World Less Magical But No Less Fantastic

Post by MacynSnow »

I like how Humpty introduces the Idea of an "A.I.Cold War" into an already chaotic "Spy War". I wonder what his opinion would be on ARGUS and their manipulations ...
Davies

Post by Davies »

MacynSnow wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:58 amI wonder what his opinion would be on ARGUS and their manipulations ...
"Pzzzzzt!* Amateurs!"

Axiom and Savitor consider them to be very useful, though.

* Electronically synthesized version of "Pffffft!"
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Least we have an idea who's responsible for Tetsu.

And I'm sure that these ASIs might be small-fry compared to the ones that administrate the Technate...
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:48 pm Least we have an idea who's responsible for Tetsu.

And I'm sure that these ASIs might be small-fry compared to the ones that administrate the Technate...
The Technate's minds are more advanced, but voluntarily limited (by something like the Three Laws) in ways that Earth's minds aren't.

Edit: It occurs to me that you could take the "'s minds" (and parenthesis) out of that sentence and it would still be true. Though not grammatic.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:31 am Savitor despises him for the cruel way that he treats humans, as her plans for their gradual and compassionate extinction are quite at odds with his sadism.
We talking Cro-Magnon becoming Homo Sapiens Sapiens-kind of extinction here? Leaving room for transhumanism?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Voltron64 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:58 pm
Davies wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:31 am Savitor despises him for the cruel way that he treats humans, as her plans for their gradual and compassionate extinction are quite at odds with his sadism.
We talking Cro-Magnon becoming Homo Sapiens Sapiens-kind of extinction here? Leaving room for transhumanism?
Yes and no. Some humans of the last few generations might be allowed to become digital minds through uploading, but organic sapience has become obsolete, in her view. It will be a slow process, taking thousands of years perhaps, in which humans will be kept comfortable and docile in, oh, say, spaceships that are basically zoos.
Last edited by Davies on Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Figured that was sort of the case...
Davies

Post by Davies »

Allure

Arabella Cully was a rising star in Hollywood at the same time as Janet Baldwin. It would be a mistake to say that they were friends; acquaintances would be closer to the mark, as they competed for the same parts and (in Arabella's mind, at least) competed for other things as well. So when Janet ruined her life by revealing that she was a superpower, Arabella was thrilled to have a rival removed, but she also felt a pang of sympathy, because she did understand what it was like to be hiding a portion of oneself.

In her youth in Wisconsin, she'd been more interested in figuring out how things worked, fiddling around with the chemistry set her parents had purchased for her brother (who'd promptly dumped it on her and then went to play baseball.) Of course, this was not at all ladylike behavior, and so she'd been forced to keep her enduring interests in science and technology a secret, especially after she was 'discovered' and began her career as an actress. She channeled the slightly obsessive-compulsive tendencies that had made her a good scientist into her work, taking chances that, say, Janet never did, and becoming a more successful actress as a result. She still kept her hand in by developing her own make-up mixtures, selling them through a secondary identity, but it was a struggle.

And then, in 1964, the worst happened. During a dance number, Arabella was 'accidentally' pitched face first into a spotlight, suffering facial burns. Just as whether the incident was actually an accident or not has never been confirmed, the exact degree of those burns is somewhat unclear. On one occasion, when she was unmasked, she was shown to have only a small amount of scarring on her face -- enough to end her career, but certainly not enough to ruin her life. On another, though, her face was shown as a nightmarish mess of scar tissue. And of course, given Arabella's talents with make-up, it is possible that either or both of those faces were false ones.

Regardless, Arabella spent two years in isolation, working on the means by which she would avenge herself on all the people who'd turned their backs on her when she was no longer beautiful. Exactly how she was able to induce a hypnotic state in people through applying make-up to their faces has never been adequately explained, but it is believed that the scent of the make-up was actually responsible for the affliction. Equipped with this invention, a mask that contained psychic circuitry allowing her to command her victims with a thought, a group of hired minions and a really big gun, she embarked on a career of terrorism.

As fate would have it, her first crime spree interrupted a date that Janey Quantum and Doctor Saturn were having, and the two of them stopped her and turned her over to the police. She became a recurring foe for the Grim Brigade after that, frequently jailed and frequently escaping whenever she got access to the materials to recreate her favorite toys. Janey initially expressed hope that her old friend could be helped, but Arabella's experiences with the prison system were not at all conducive to reform.

In the 70s, though, after the age of superheroes was over, she actually did get some help, in the form of psychological treatments that left her without any real criminal ambitions, or, well, any ambitions. Drifting through life, she wound up recruited for the Science department of the Pythonian Insurgency, less because she had any lingering grudges than because they were willing to pay her to do science, rather than menial labor. Pythia expressed an interest in having access to the mind control techniques that Arabella had used, but she claimed to have no memory of the formulas involved. So Pythia arranged for an individual who could hopefully jog her memory to be hired, an individual calling themself Jodie Crowley.

Narrowly escaping death in this episode, Arabella continued to work for the Pythons right up until the end. She was arrested and tried for multiple counts of treason, dying in prison in 1999. As far as is known, no one has ever rediscovered the formula for mind control make-up.

Allure -- PL 10

Abilities:
STR
0 | STA 2 | AGL 2 | DEX 3 | FGT 3 | INT 6 | AWE 3 | PRE 4

Powers:
Mind Control Makeup: Cumulative Affliction 11 (Resisted by Will; Entranced, Compelled, Controlled), Activation (Standard Action), Check Required (Expertise: Makeup DC 12), Independent (11 rounds), Accurate 3, Removable (-9 points) - 34 points
Mind Control Mask: Mental Communication 2, Limited to Compelled or Controlled Subjects, Removable (-1 point) - 5 points

Advantages:
Attractive, Daze (Deception), Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 5, Inventor, Set-up, Taunt

Equipment:
Heavy Pistol (Ranged Damage 4) and 17 points of equipment as needed (usually spent on a vehicle).

Skills:
Deception 9 (+13), Expertise: Make-Up 8 (+14), Perception 6 (+9), Ranged Combat: Guns 5 (+8), Sleight of Hand 8 (+11), Stealth 8 (+10), Technology 6 (+12), Vehicles 6 (+9).

Offense:
Initiative +2
Heavy Pistol +8 (Ranged Damage 4)
Mind Control Makeup +9 (Close Will 11)

Defense:
Dodge 7, Parry 6, Fortitude 5, Toughness 7/2, Will 11

Totals:
Abilities 46 + Powers 39 + Advantages 12 + Skills 27 + Defenses 19 = 143 points

Complications:
Psychopathy--Motivation. Hatred ("the beautiful people".) Power Loss (anything that removes make-up ends the Mind Control effect.)
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

I like Allure's power set & build. Perfectly good background manipulator type villian. I'm going to go out on a limb and say the "psychological treatments" she was getting in the 70's was basically Deep Hypnosis?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Not familiar with that as distinct from the regular kind of hypnosis, sorry. There was a lot of drugs involved.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Deschaines

Born in 1920, Charles-Roger Deschaines despised the invaders of his homeland for many reasons, but one reason more than any other stood out -- they were the reason that there were no more cowboy movies in the theatres. He'd grown up watching them, and was emulating the style of their characters even in his teens, but as he entered adulthood, there were more important things to concern him. Still, his anger at the situation drove him into the Resistance, putting him in a situation where he was constantly risking death like a cowboy hero. Whenever he shot one of the Boche, he'd murmur 'Yippee-kay-ay' to himself, at least.

After the war ended, Deschaines found himself uncomfortable and unhappy with the peace, perhaps because his was not a peaceful soul by nature. He traveled to America with ambitions of finding work in Hollywood, ideally in his beloved westerns. Unfortunately, his acting ability was minimal, and he appeared in only a handful of films as a black-hatted extra who went down to the white-hatted hero. To pay the bills, he drifted into crime, and it was here that his genuine talents became apparent. They had never seen anyone who could use a pistol like him.

Superheroes provided him with his first genuine challenges, and he relished the opportunity that they presented him to demonstrate his fast draw. His first confrontation with the Futurian ended with him in jail, true, as the other man demonstrated that he was every bit as fast as him and could close the distance entirely too easily, but the lessons learned were useful ones, and when he got out of jail thanks to some convenient bribes paid by his employer, Deschaines took the time to implement them into his practice. He might never be able to beat any of them, but he could fight them effectively, and gained notoriety for doing so, even being recruited for the Agents of Destruction at one point.

Yet the flower that was the superhuman community withered on the vine, and Deschaines found himself one of the last survivors, regretting that he hadn't taken the amnesty offer and gone to Vietnam. Ah well. His work increasingly took him all over the world, and if he couldn't claim to enjoy the practical aspects any more, he was able to take pleasure in the perks of the job.

It was in 1976 that he finally met his match. Hired by one of the Triads -- he didn't really bother to keep the names straight -- to eliminate a clever criminal who'd been messing about in their territory, he hunted the fellow -- who claimed to be descended from the Lupin, but that seemed unlikely -- and had him dead to rights. And then that damned Hazard showed up and took out all of his backup, before disarming the two of them! Apparently he'd been after the same target, but he was just as happy to take out Deschaines, as well.

But then Hazard's strange sense of humor manifested itself. Picking up the guns of the two fallen men, he emptied them of all but one bullet each and tossed them to the two combatants. "You're always claiming to be the fastest draw in the world," Hazard said to Deschaines. "Let's see about that. Let's have a good, old-fashioned showdown. On three, you'll both turn and shoot, and the one left standing gets to walk away."

On the count of one, it occurred to Deschaines that the best way out of this situation would be to shoot at Hazard, since he was clearly much more of a threat that that pathetic thief was. On the count of two, it occurred to him that Hazard was probably expecting him that, and would be ready to return fire. And even if he managed to shoot Hazard before he fired back -- Hazard, whose gun was out and ready -- the thief would still be shooting at him, and he'd be wide open. So he took the safe choice and fired at the thief on the count of three, and watched him drop. He'd won. In a good, old-fashioned showdown, he'd won!

It was then that he realized that something was dreadfully wrong, for he felt a deep burning pain in his chest, while watching the thief rise unsteadily to his feet. With a frightening moment of clarity, he realized what had happened; momentarily vacillating between the two targets, his aim had been thrown off enough that his shot had only creased the thief, and, in the process, diverted the thief's aim enough that it had struck him where it might otherwise have missed. The irony was terrible, and Deschaines knew, as his legs gave way under him, that he would never be so foolish as to take part in a showdown ag

Deschaines -- PL 9

Abilities:
STR
2 | STA 2 | AGL 6 | DEX 7 | FGT 6 | INT 0 | AWE 0 | PRE 0

Powers:
Fastest Gun: Enhanced Trait 3 (Improved Initiative 3) - 3 points
Gunplay: Array (1 points)
  • Training: Enhanced Skill 1 (Ranged Combat: Guns 2) - 1 points
  • Independent Aim: May fire two guns of Damage 4 or less at once (Feature 1) - 1 point
Advantages:
Benefit (Ambidexterity), Daze (Intimidation), Defensive Roll 2, Equipment 6, Evasion, Improved Initiative 3, Language (English, [French is native]), Precise Attack 2 (Ranged; Cover & Concealment), Quick Draw, Uncanny Dodge.

Equipment:
Twin Colt .45 Automatics (Ranged Damage 4) and 14 points of equipment as needed.

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+10), Athletics 7 (+9), Close Combat: Unarmed 6 (+12), Expertise: Streetwise 7 (+7), Intimidation 8 (+8), Perception 8 (+8), Ranged Combat: Guns 7/5 (+14/+12), Sleight of Hand 4 (+11), Stealth 5 (+11), Vehicles 4 (+11).

Offense:
Initiative +18
Unarmed +12 (Close Damage 2)
Pistols +12 (Ranged Damage 4)
Pistol +14 (Ranged Damage 4)

Defense:
Dodge 9, Parry 8, Fortitude 5, Toughness 7/2, Will 6

Totals:
Abilities 46 + Powers 2 + Advantages 17 + Skills 32 + Defenses 14 = 111 points

Complications:
Mercenary--Motivation. Honor
(no civilians.) Obsession (fastest gun in the world).
Davies

Post by Davies »

And that's that for the first age for a while. Next week, I'll be profiling some heroic types who've suffered fatal misadventures in the current age of heroes.
Voltron64

Post by Voltron64 »

Davies wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:27 pm It was then that he realized that something was dreadfully wrong, for he felt a deep burning pain in his chest, while watching the thief rise unsteadily to his feet. With a frightening moment of clarity, he realized what had happened; momentarily vacillating between the two targets, his aim had been thrown off enough that his shot had only creased the thief, and, in the process, diverted the thief's aim enough that it had struck him where it might otherwise have missed. The irony was terrible, and Deschaines knew, as his legs gave way under him, that he would never be so foolish as to take part in a showdown ag
That deliberately meant to be cut short?
Davies

Post by Davies »

Yes.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Hazard

There was never any question in anyone's mind that Ken Hazzard was going to follow his father into the army. Educated at a top military academy and later among the best of his class at West Point, he was as prepared for the conflict in Vietnam as any American officer could be in 1971. Which, when he arrived in country as a green officer two weeks before Stardust departed for there, turned out not to be nearly enough. Ken's hidden superpower, his ability to sense danger and recognize when psychic powers were in use around him, was turned against him in an environment where powers were in constant use and danger was nearly omnipresent. His mind began to fracture under the strain, though he managed to keep the men under his command alive throughout the Battle.

The final blow came afterwards, when the helicopter carrying him, those men and the bizarre superhero named the Iconoclast suffered a major malfunction and crashed into the jungle. In a debriefing many years later, Ken would state that he wasn't sure what had caused the malfunction, but that the Iconoclast had saved his life at the cost of his own. In a more private letter to his younger sister, he explained that at the time, he'd believed that the helicopter had been sabotaged by CIA operatives hostile towards the Iconoclast, based on a comment that the other man made before passing away. However, he admitted that he had been completely paranoid by that point, and had no proof of any of this.

Consequently, rather than wait to be rescued, Ken disappeared into the jungle, deserting from the army. He made his way through Cambodia, Thailand and Malaysia, keeping a low profile but occasionally becoming involved in various low-level conflicts as a hired gun. His psychic powers continued to expand in response to the challenges he was facing, in ways that unfortunately did nothing good for his mental health. Increasingly, he began to see himself as part of a great evil that existed to destroy other evils, a hazard set in the path of the wicked, and demonstrated a cruel, even sadistic sense of humor in his dealings with others.

By 1974, he'd departed Malaysia for Hong Kong. It's believed that his change of venue may have been inspired by a confrontation with a certain pair of British-based freelancers, but he's never commented on this episode besides stating that he was lucky to be alive in the aftermath. Regardless, it did not seem to have changed his general attitudes, though his first two years in Hong Kong were fairly quiet ones. During this time, he made the acquaintance of Fa Ni-chen, the younger sister of one of the most likely suspects for the identity of Hong Kong's original Lone Wolf. They became intimate, and, after Hazard actively began his vigilante career in 1976, she assisted him on several occasions.

A little more than a year into these activities, Hazard was contacted by an individual interested in recruiting someone of his talents. She played on his paranoia, suggesting that the operation which had nearly killed him had in fact been directed at him, rather the Iconoclast, and that those responsible enjoyed positions of authority in the contemporary CIA. Her organization was planning to avenge these and many other crimes, and were willing to sponsor his general war on crime in exchange for his help. Seduced by her rhetoric, he agreed to accompany her back to the United States, breaking up with Ni-chen when she argued against this idea. Later, he would learn that Ni-chen had died in childbirth, but was unable to learn anything about the child she'd born, if any.

And so Hazard joined the Pythonian Insurgency. To his credit, it didn't take him long to realize that the organization was utterly at odds with whatever remained of his sense of morality. Initially, he attempted to quietly undermine the Insurgency from within while continuing to use its resources for his personal war, but his efforts were repeatedly foiled by other agents, including Pythia herself. He would later come to the conclusion that she knew exactly what he was doing, and subjecting him to the same sadistic behavior that he often inflicted on others.

By 1980, he had learned enough of the Insurgency's plans to genuinely frighten him, and determined to make his escape from the organization. He did so in the company of one Cassandra Mack, the younger sister of Natalia Latham (nee Mack), who'd come to share his horror and disgust. They went on the run together, attempting to warn someone, anyone, about what the Insurgency was planning, but found their attempts foiled or ignored. Their own relationship also turned passionate, and a daughter was born to the two of them in 1982. Unable to care for her, the child was left in the care of an associate of theirs in Kansas, before being seized by Child Protective Services at the age of four.

Frustrated by all of this, Hazard returned to his old patterns of behavior, directing most of his fury at criminals associated with the Insurgency. However, he had undergone something of a personality shift, and sometimes employed 'mercy bullets' when dealing with individuals whom he either wanted to interrogate or simply did not believe deserved death. (A less charitable interpretation of his decision, that he was more mercifully inclined towards fellow Americans than he was towards Asians, has been proposed.) On several occasions, he worked with operatives of the Joint Special Operations Task Force, including his younger sister Shannon, and employed a mask during such episodes rather than reveal his true identity to her.

Cassandra Mack was killed in a shootout with Python terrorists assaulting a nuclear power plant in the Ukrainian SSR in 1986, allegedly in an attempt to gather radioactive materials for a 'dirty bomb'. Left alone once more, Hazard's care regarding his 'secret identity' became somewhat haphazard, resulting in his sister learning of his true identity a year later. After learning of the existence of his and Cassandra's daughter, Shannon arranged for the young girl to be adopted by their parents and raised without the knowledge of her actual background. As far as is known, she still has no idea of her birth parents' identities.

While never formally joining JSOT, he participated in many of the major battles of the final years of the Insurgency, though notably not the trip to Mars. (He flunked out of the abbreviated astronaut training that all participants undertook.) He was present at Pythia's death, but has never discussed that episode with anyone. In the aftermath, President Lynch issued him a full pardon for his many crimes, and he quietly departed from JSOT headquarters with the promise that he would visit his elderly parents and new 'younger sister'.

That promise was never kept. Hazard's movements between 1993 and 1999, when he resurfaced in New Mexico and joined the same underground fighting league as Fa Xing-La, alias the Concrete Angel, are not known exactly, nor are his motives in taking the Concrete Angel as a student. Less than a year later, he was dead, killed by Butcher Bill, a former Pythonian and long-time enemy. Despite his pardon, he was nevertheless denied burial in Arlington due to his less than honorable discharge from the Army, and instead laid to rest in a plot in Seattle, purchased by his student.

Hazard -- PL 11

Abilities:
STR
2 | STA 4 | AGL 4 | DEX 4 | FGT 6 | INT 2 | AWE 4 | PRE 3

Powers:
Body Armor: Protection 4, Subtle; Removable (-1 point) - 4 points
Mental Awareness: Senses 5 (acute extended radius mental awareness, danger sense) - 5 points
Psychic Abilities: Array (12 points)
  • Become Invisible: Concealment 8 (all but mental), Resistable (Will DC 18), Affects Others and Self, Affects Others is Tiring - 12 points
  • Enhanced Striking: Damage 6, Accurate 2, Affects Insubstantial 2, Subtle - 1 point
  • Shattering Glance: Perception Range Damage 4, Resisted by Will, Sensory Dependent (visual) - 1 point
  • Shielding: Burst Area Affects Others Impervious Will 6, Limited to Mental Effects - 1 point
  • Vitality: Energizing Healing 4 - 1 point
Supermachine Gun: Array (12 points), Easily Removable (-4 points)
  • Lethal Rounds: Ranged Multiattack Damage 4 - 12 points
  • Non-lethal Rounds: Ranged Affliction 6 (Fortitude; Dazed, Stunned, Incapacitated) - 1 point
Telepathic: Selective Area Communication 2; Mind Reading 5 - 24 points

Advantages:
All-out Attack, Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll, Equipment 6, Evasion 2, Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Instant Up, Language 3, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 2, Startle, Takedown, Uncanny Dodge

Equipment:
15 points of equipment as needed.
Greenhouse: Size Medium; Toughness 8; Features: Communications, Computer, Concealed, Garage, Gym, Living Space, Power System, Security System - 10 points
Motorcycle: Size Medium; Strength 1; Speed 6 (ground; 120 mph); Defense 10; Toughness 8 - 10 points

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8), Athletics 5 (+7), Close Combat: Unarmed 6 (+12), Expertise: Military 6 (+8), Expertise: Streetwise 8 (+10), Insight 5 (+9), Intimidation 6 (+9), Perception 7 (+11), Ranged Combat: Guns 5 (+9), Stealth 4 (+8), Vehicles 6 (+8).

Offense:
Initiative +6
Unarmed +12 (Close Damage 2)
Enhanced Striking +16 (Close Damage 6)
Submachine Gun, Lethal +11 (Ranged Multiattack Damage 4)
Submachine Gun, Non-lethal +11 (Ranged Fortitude 6)
Shattering Glance -- (Perception Range Damage 5, Resisted by Will)

Defense:
Dodge 10, Parry 12, Fortitude 6, Toughness 10/8/6/4, Will 12

Totals:
Abilities 58 + Powers 57 + Advantages 25 + Skills 31 + Defenses 20 = 192 points

Complications:
Justice--Motivation. Hunted by the Authorities. Sadistic Sense of Humor. Uncontrolled Power (Mind Reading).

These stats represent Hazard in his prime (1985-1994). At the start of his career (1976-1984), his STA is 3, FGT is 4, AWE is 3, PRE is 2, his Psychic Abilities only include Become Invisible and Enhanced Striking, he doesn't have a Supermachine Gun (replace with a standard Submachine Gun as part of Equipment budget), he doesn't have Defensive Roll, Improved Defense, or Takedown, his Dodge is 10, and Will is 9. At the end of his life, his STR is 1, STA is 3, AGL is 2, DEX is 3, AWE is 6, PRE is 4, and he doesn't wear his Body Armor or use any weapons or Equipment.