Batgirl III's Character Thread (Simon Baz, Lady Shiva)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Batgirl III

Five by Five

Post by Batgirl III »

Original Art: Dark Horse Comics

Faith the Vampire Slayer
Circa BtVS Season Five
Power Level 9 ( 135 PP )

End of Days (S.7 E.21) wrote:Buffy: But you're right. I mean, I... I guess everyone's alone. But being a Slayer? There's a burden we can't share.

Faith: And no one else can feel it. Thank God we're hot chicks with superpowers.
ABILITIES
Strength 4
Stamina 7
Agility 4
Dexterity 6
Fighting 10
Intellect 1
Awareness 2
Presence 2

SKILLS
Acrobatics 4 (+8); Athletics 4 (+8); Close Combat 2 [Unarmed] (+12); Deception 3 (+5); Expertise [Pop Culture] 3 (+4); Expertise [Vampires & Demons] 3 (+4); Insight 6 (+8); Investigation 3 (+4); Perception 3 (+5); Persuasion 3 (+5); Ranged Combat [Archery] 8 (+14); Stealth 4 (+8)

ADVANTAGES
All-Out Attack, Attractive (2), Benefit [The Slayer], Chokehold, Defensive Roll (1), Diehard, Equipment (2), Fast Grab, Favored Foe [Slayers, Vampires (2)], Improved Aim, Improved Critical [Stake (2)], Improved Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative (1), Improved Trip, Improvised Weapon (2), Luck (1), Power Attack, Redirect, Startle, Takedown (1), Uncanny Dodge

POWERS
Senses 1 (Mental: Danger Sense; E: Innate) [ 2 PP ]
Senses 4 (Mental: Postcognition; F: Limited - Events connected to "Slayer Line," Limited - Only While Dreaming) [ 1 PP ]
Senses 4 (Mental: Precognition; F: Limited - Only While Dreaming) [ 2 PP ]

EQUIPMENT
Wooden Stake Damage 1 (Strength-based; E: Feature - Counts as Improvised Weapon) [ 2 EP ]

Back-Up Weapons (Array; 8 EP)
Bow & Arrows Damage 3 (E: Ranged) [ 6 EP ]
AE: Holy Water Vials Affliction 4 (Resist: Dodge; Recover: Will; Conditions: Impaired, Disabled; E: Cumulative, Ranged; F: Limited to Two Degrees, Limited to Vampires) [ 1 PP ]
AE: Holy Cross Affliction 4 (Resist/Recover: Will; Conditions: Entranced, Compelled; E: Ranged, Progressive; F: Limited to Two Degrees, Limited to Repulsion, Limited to Vampires) [ 1 PP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (8) Base 1
Parry: (10) Base 0
Fortitude: (10) Base 3
Toughness: (7/8) Base -
Will: (6) Base 4

WORKSHEET
Attack 12 Effect 4 Total: 16 (Unarmed)
Attack 12 Effect 6 Total: 18 (Wooden Stake; Critical: 18-20)
Attack 14 Effect 3 Total: 17 (Bow & Arrows)
Dodge 8 Tough. 8 Total: 16
Parry 10 Tough. 8 Total: 18
Fort. 10 Will 6 Total: 16

COMPLICATIONS
MOTIVATION (The Chosen Other One): Faith's status as the Slayer basically means every supernatural force of evil in the multiverse considers her an enemy and she will inevitably be drawn into conflict with them sooner or later. To make matters worse, Faith's walk on the dark side and subsequent struggle for redemption has earned her some powerful enemies that would normally be considered "white hats," like the Watcher's Council.

MOTIVATION (Tempted by the Dark Side): Faith gave herself over completely to the Dark Side of the Force during her time with Mayor Richard Wilkins. Events in Season Four and a few adventures in L.A. with Angel have brought her back, but she still fights a constant internal battle with her darker impulses well into Season Seven.

RELATIONSHIPS (It's Complicated): Faith had only had close relationships with three people, all of them are quite complicated. Mayor Richard Wilkins had a deep and genuine love for her, and was probably the closest thing to a real father-figure she ever had... He was also an evil necromancer that turned into giant snake and tried to eat a bunch of teens. Buffy and Faith have a sisterly relationship and share the burden of being the Slayer... They've also tried to kill each other a couple of times. Faith's Watcher was killed shortly before her first coming to Sunnydale, we never get much detail on it, but given how traumatized the normally fearless Faith was by the incident, we can assume she was probably as close to her Watcher as Buffy is to Giles.

RESPONSIBILITY (No, Really, She's the Chosen One): Despite her outward devil-may-care attitude, Faith is serious about her calling as the Slayer.

SECRET IDENTITY (Sorta): Faith tries to keep her Slayer activies on the down low. But she's even worse at it than Buffy.

ABILITIES [ 72 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 23 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 27 pp ] +
POWERS [ 5 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 8 pp ] =
135 PP TOTAL

BACKGROUND
Base of Operations: Mobile
Date of Birth: 1980
Height: 5'5" (1.65 m)
Weight: 121 lbs (55 kg)
Eyes: Brown
Hair: Brunette
Notable Relatives: None
Identity: Secret (Sorta)
Status: Citizen of the United States with felony criminal record.

BUILD NOTES
Faith is the third Slayer to appear on Buffy the Vampire Slayer, following Buffy Summers and Kendra Young. Faith became a Slayer when Kendra died at the hands of Drusilla in the penultimate episode of the Season Two. Most often described as "the rogue Slayer," Faith fulfilled the archetype of a nemesis in the classical sense. Season Three Faith serves as the dark mirror to Buffy: similar to, yet opposite from our heroine. Faith represented "the road not taken," an anti-hero version of Buffy without her friends and family to stop her from falling to the "Dark Side of the Force," if we can mix our pop culture franchises.

Faith is a Slayer, and thus has the usual powers of such, including healing factor and superhuman strength, speed, durability and reflexes. Although she never explicitly displayed the power of prophetic dreams that Buffy displayed on many occasions, Faith does appear to have some level of supernatural access to similar visions. In the Season Three finale "Graduation Day, Part Two," Buffy experiences a dream in which Faith appears to her, making a cryptic reference to the arrival of Dawn and Buffy's impending death in the finale of Season Five, "The Gift," as well as making several other cryptic references relevant to both Buffy and herself. Later, in the episodes "This Year's Girl" and "Who Are You," we witness several portions of Faith's dreams in which she converses with the deceased Mayor and overcomes a dream version of Buffy in order to awaken from her coma.

In Angel Season Four Faith also displayed a "mystical mind walk" effect in which she experienced trials throughout Angel's life while in a coma. She also experienced these dreams with Angelus who told of his "torture," during which he knocked her out and fought Angel. Angel then told Faith that her journey was not over. She then got up and as Angelus was about to hit her she woke up from her coma and stopped Connor from killing Angel. It makes more sense in the watching than it does in the recapping.

M&M3e is designed in such a way that most of the Slayer powers can just be folded into her Abilities, most of which are well-above human norm, or in the case of her healing handled "off-panel," the Slayers all heal fast, but not quite fast enough to warrant a Regeneration power. M&M3e's healing rules handle this quite well, allowing the rare lasting injury (such as Buffy's "broken" arm in "The Freshman" (S.4 E.1) or Faith's dislocated shoulder in "The Zeppo") to be handled as temporary Complications. I've given Faith the same set of prophecy girl Senses as Buffy, since I'm convinced from the episodes I mentioned that both women had the same sort of mojo working. Presumably, had Faith been the star of the series and primary P.O.V. character, we'd have gotten to see more of this aspect of her power develop, like we did with Buffy.

Faith is built like Buffy, but without her experience as a team-player and leader. Faith's Skills and Advantages selection is also slightly different, as are her defense and toughness scores. Faith works solo far more often than Buffy, she prefers to be able to take a few hits if it will give her an opening to land a finishing blow. Power Attack, All-Out Attack, and the lack of teamwork related feats show her more aggressive and self-centered combat style. Faith makes far less use of weapons than Buffy, rarely opting for anything beyond a wooden stake, yet she's also the only member of the cast that ever shows any aptitude for ranged weapons, being a fairly good archer. Faith's no Oliver Queen, but with ranged attacks such a rarity for any member of this cast Faith stands out.
Last edited by Batgirl III on Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
MacynSnow

Re: Batgirl III's Character Thread (Buffy, Faith)

Post by MacynSnow »

Correction BG: Xander "Zeppo" Harris can use multiple firearms & Rifles due to his Soldier Possession in the Halloween episode in Season One(?). So while he never used 'em much with the group(mostly due to Buffy's hatred of Guns), he HAS used them on his own.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I said “rarity” not “non-existent.”
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

I'm not surprised they hang out in a cemetery, people are always dying to get in there.

:oops: :roll:
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

M4C8 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:00 pm I'm not surprised they hang out in a cemetery, people are always dying to get in there.

:oops: :roll:
That was a HORRIBLE pun....Well done ! :lol:
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

MacynSnow wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:46 pm Correction BG: Xander "Zeppo" Harris can use multiple firearms & Rifles due to his Soldier Possession in the Halloween episode in Season One(?). So while he never used 'em much with the group(mostly due to Buffy's hatred of Guns), he HAS used them on his own.
Those abilities faded over time, going away completely by around Season 3 or 4. There was some moment where he was trying to prepare a gun and someone else had to come and casually do it for him, and Xander had to fess up to losing those skills.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Stolen from a guy on Reddit:
For a more Doylist answer: Joss Whedon really, really dislikes the idea of guns being used to solve everything, especially for a show about teenagers. Having Wesley switch from crossbows and sleeve knives to guns is a way of depicting the darkness he's fallen into. Wesley becomes a badass with guns, but it's not a good thing; it marks how far he's fallen, how much of his humanity he's lost. This is why Wesley doesn't survive the last episode of Angel.

In the Whedonverse, guns symbolize a loss of innocence. In Firefly, the character's ease of resorting to firearms is directly correlated to their morality; Jayne will eagerly shoot anything he's paid to and has a massive arsenal, Mal and Zoë shoot to protect their own and each have a favored weapon, Book, Wash and Simon will use firearms only reluctantly, and River touches a gun exactly twice - once where she says it's just an object, and imagines it as a stick ("no touching guns!",) and later to spare Kaylee. Inara never uses a firearm (with the exception of once brandishing an antique laser pistol,) instead resorting to a crossbow, and Kaylee uses one only at the very end ("Hell with this! I wanna live!") - even though they are perhaps the least pure by a Puritanical definition (one's a whore and the other is heavily implied to enjoy casual sex just for fun,) they're the most pure of the entire crew.
There’s also the in-universe explanation of Xander not turning 21 until 2002 (BtVS Season 6 / Angel Season 3). Federal law prohibits the sale of handguns to anyone under 21 years of age and California’s gun laws are some of the most draconian in the United States, especially during the Nineties when most of the series took place. So it would have been damn hard for Xander to get his hands on a gun and carry it on a regular basis and keep it if he ever did use it.

Baseball bats and fire axes, on the other hand, much easier to come by.
Batgirl III

Glorified Bricklayer

Post by Batgirl III »

Original Art: Boom! Studios

Xander
Circa BtVS Season Five
Power Level 5 ( 75 PP )

The Yoko Factor (S.4 E.20) wrote:Xander: It happens that I'm good at a lot of things. I help out with all kinds of... stuff. I have skills and... stratagems... I'm very... (to Anya) Help me out.

Anya: He's a viking in the sack.
ABILITIES
Strength 2
Stamina 4
Agility 2
Dexterity 2
Fighting 4
Intellect 1
Awareness 2
Presence 3

SKILLS
Athletics 3 (+5); Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+6); Deception 3 (+6); Diplomacy 2 (+5); Expertise [Carpentry] 4 (+5); Expertise [Soldier] 1 (+2); Expertise [Vampires & Demons] 3 (+4); Perception 3 (+5); Persuasion 2 (+5); Ranged Combat [Firearms] 2 (+4); Vehicles 3 (+5)

ADVANTAGES
Defensive Attack, Defensive Roll (1), Equipment (2), Extraordinary Effort, Improved Defense, Improved Grab, Improvised Weapon (1), Jack-of-All-Trades, Set-Up, Leadership, Luck (1), Taunt

EQUIPMENT
Wooden Stake Damage 1 (Strength-based; Extras: Feature - Counts as Improvised Weapon) [ 2 EP ]

Impressive Apartment
Size: Small [ 0 EP ]
Toughness: 10 [ 2 EP ]
Features: Communications, Computer, Garage, Living Space, Security System, Workshop [ 6 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (5) Base 3
Parry: (5) Base 1
Fortitude: (5) Base 1
Toughness: (4/5) Base -
Will: (5) Base 3

WORKSHEET
Attack 6 Effect 2 Total: 8 (Unarmed)
Attack 6 Effect 4 Total: 10 (Wooden Stake)
Dodge 5 Tough. 5 Total: 10
Parry 5 Tough. 5 Total: 10
Fort. 5 Will 5 Total: 10

COMPLICATIONS
HONOR (Knight in Relaxed-Fit Denim): Xander holds to a code of behavior that can best be thought of as old-fashioned chivalry filtered through the mind of a girl-crazy, lonely nerd. If there's one thing Xander has learned from Sergeant Rock it’s that in war there are rules... or at least there should be if you're as honorable as you think you are.

RELATIONSHIPS (The Heart): Xanders's closest relationship is with his best friend since childhood, Willow. Other important people in his life include Anya, Buffy, and Giles. The members of the extended Scooby Gang are all quite close knit, but a special bond exists between the "core trio" of Buffy, Xander, and Willow. But even amongst the core trio, the Willow and Xander bond is especially deep.

MOTIVATION (The Zeppo): Xander is especially prone to feeling left out of the group, even if he is the heart of the gang. Given that his circle of friends consists of the Slayer, the other Slayer, two very powerful Witches, a highly-educated Watcher, a werewolf, a millennia-old ex-demon, a retired super soldier, and two vampires... Well, it's easy for Xander to feel left out sometimes.

ABILITIES [ 40 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 14 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 13 pp ] +
POWERS [ 0 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 8 pp ] =
75 PP TOTAL

BACKGROUND
Base of Operations: Impressive Apartment, Sunnydale CA
Date of Birth: 1981
Height: Average Height
Weight: Average Build
Eyes: Average Brown
Hair: Average Brunette
Notable Relatives: Terrible Parents (parents), Uncle Rory (uncle)
Identity: Secret
Status: Citizen of the United States with no criminal record.

Xander has lived his entire life on top of the Hellmouth. Astoundingly, he has not only survived, but has managed to do so without having any superpowers or exotic skills, becoming evil, going insane, or turning out to be some sort of cosmic component to be protected or destroyed at all costs. This is despite being found attractive by a series of extremely dangerous women: A giant hypnotic mantis; a life-draining mummy; a psychotic vampire slayer; and an ex-vengeance demon whose most recent and last “contract” was to destroy his life.

Xander is a mostly nondescript young adult. He’s shy of six feet tall, neither thin nor bulky, has slightly messy, slightly curly, dark hair, and the amount of stubble visible on his face varies.

Once a sharp, quick-witted, normal, everyday, awkward teenager, Xander has become the sharp, quick-witted, normal, loyal heart of Buffy’s circle of friends.

To a certain extent, he’s become quite the hero in his own right. Though he claims that it’s all to help Buffy, his actions betray a deeper feeling. He believes in fighting for the same things that Buffy does.

This is especially evident at times when his plan of action differs from Buffy’s, and he argues for it. Xander, however, does have a slight dark side. This comes out most often in his frustration, during the times when his fight for right is unsuccessful, and the time for humor has long past. At this point, he becomes a somewhat depressed, sarcastic figure, ready to verbally strike out at even his closest friends and physically strike out at the nearest furnishings. Fortunately, it doesn’t take much for his friends to snap him out of this state, in general.

Additionally, he will defend Buffy to the death, when possible. Xander is almost always suspicious of any of her potential romantic interests, and to this day actively dislikes the vampire-with-a-soul Angel. This goes far beyond the jealousy it once was, and is very much in line with how a protective sibling might react. This will frequently manifest in awkward silence, though.

Xander can be quite fearsome when he wants to be. For example, in "Killed by Death," he stands up to Angelus, the most evil and brutal vampire in history and warns that he will be there to see him staked. Angelus actually takes him seriously and leaves. In "Hush" Xander sees a bloody jowled Spike leaning over a napping Anya, his point of view suggesting that Spike had attacked her. Xander immediately launches a what-should-be-a-suicidal-attack-against-what-he-thinks-is-a-restored-vampire and starts pounding Spike. After Willow is kidnapped by vampires in "When She Was Bad", he actually threatens to kill Buffy if anything happened to Willow. He also sucker punched an Elder God with a wrecking ball.

Xander is the universe's butt-monkey, but do not mess with those he loves.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Alexander(i personally refuse to call him Xander, as he grew into the role his Name suggests imho) is one of the most threatening members of the Scoobies imho. If he feel's he has to, he'll go to some VERY dark places to protect "His Girls". It's one of the reasons the Hyena Alpha choose him during the Zoo incident in Season one.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I’d say that Giles is the most threatening member of the “core four” cast, as unlike Xander he has been shown to actively follow through on his threats... and he’s also been shown to resort to brutal violence with no warning whatsoever.

Buffy and Willow (post-season four) have the most raw power of the four, but Giles and Xander don’t have Buffy’s heroic idealism or Willow’s compassion. Both men are far more pragmatic about their violence.

To blend my pop culture references, I think Doctor Who summed it up pretty well:
Madame Kovarian: The anger of a good man is not a problem. Good men have too many rules.

The Doctor: Good men don't need rules. Today is not the day to find out why I have so many.”
Xander and Giles are both very big on moral codes. Giles’ has the rules and regulations of the Watcher’s Council (at first) and then just a sort of generalized “gentleman’s honor” about him, all of which he seems to have constructed around himself in order to purposefully cut himself off from the impulses that drove him in his youth as “Ripper.”

Xander mentions in one episode that he learned his code of conduct from Sgt. Rock comics (sort of DC’s equivalent of Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos) he also explains to a newly human Anya that vengeance is wrong because “Society has rules, and borders, and an end zone.” And yet, when Angelus killed Miss Calendar, his response was “ If Giles wants to go after the, uh, fiend that murdered his girlfriend. I say, Faster, Pussycat, Kill Kill.”
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

I was always annoyed with Xander's treatment post Season 5. The whole point of Season 6 was that the Scoobies were great at the supernatural side of things, but normal, mundane life kicked their asses. That should have been Xander's time to shine, as he was always the opposite: he was someone who struggled with the supernatural stuff, but had been navigating the pitfalls of normal life this entire time. He'd learned to roll with the punches, adapt and improve when it came to mundane life, while Buffy and Willow were focused on Slayer stuff or learning magic. That season should have been when we finally have the payoff of Xander being the rock everyone else can rely on, they realize how much they took him for granted, he should have been the one to get married and showcase what an actual healthy adult relationship looks like, etc.

Instead, he screws up just as bad as the rest, possibly worse, and his big redeeming moment is to save the day with a "Power of Friendship" speech. Because Joss Wheadon is an angsty boy when he's not being a creep.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Nicholas Brendon has actually said in panel discussions (paraphrasing) “Joss came to me after Season Four and said ‘Xander’s story arch is over, we’ve got nothing left for him to do.’”

I think they should have transitioned Xander (and Dawn) into the Watcher-type role after Tony Head decided he wanted to bow out of the show to spend more time with his family back in England. Make the pair of them the ones who do the research, the legwork, and come up with the plans. But have them put a modern American teenager spin on it. Xander wouldn’t just look stuff up in a musty old tome, tell the Slayer what he found, and sit back with a cuppa tea waiting for her to get back. No, he’s read Detective Comics. He’s gonna Oracle that shit. Give Buffy a hands-free cellphone and be her “guy in the chair.”

Which, incidentally, is exactly what they have him doing in the Season Eight comics.

Either that or they should have sent him, either instead of or in addition to Cordelia, to the Angel spin-off. The main dramatic theme of Buffy was always “coming of age” and “finding your power.” The main theme of Angel was always “adulting is hard” and “moral compromise without losing your soul,” which I think would have made for some fantastic stories with Xander in the mix. (And tell me that Angel Season One’s Doyle wasn’t just Xander with an accent and a funny hat.)
Shock

Post by Shock »

I can't see that. Xander was never intellectual enough to be a Watcher. He was the one that didn't have to be exceptional. he could be the glue guy, or the tactical guy but he was never going to be the research guy.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I think Xander was always more intelligent than he let on*, but that’s why I’d have had him partner with Dawn in my hypothetical storyline where the pair of them step into Giles’ shoes.

Dawn would be primary Book Girl, Xander would be primary Plan Guy, with Tara and Anya in there to assist with specialized questions about magic-users and demon dimensions.

* He burned just as much midnight oil on those all-night library research parties as the other Scoobies and became a master carpenter in his early twenties.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Xander was also in the same Honors classes as Willow was and STILL graduated High School on time with a Middle of the road average. He was by no mean's a Genius or on Willow's Pre-Magic level, but he wasn't Stupid by any means.