LDF : Women of Strength & Power

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Batgirl III

Re: LDF : Women of Strength & Power

Post by Batgirl III »

Because when designing a fictional universe, I feel that verisimilitude is important. This means, in part, a consistent and logical explanation for things. Had I been both alive in 1960 and in charge of DC Comics, well, yeah, I’d have wanted some better explanation for why they had a core cast of two dozen superheroes and only four super-women who made recurring appearances. But, we’re in 2018 and LDF is designing her own ‘verse... I’m just trying to help “stir the pot” and come up with ideas.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:19 pm Because when designing a fictional universe, I feel that verisimilitude is important. This means, in part, a consistent and logical explanation for things. Had I been both alive in 1960 and in charge of DC Comics, well, yeah, I’d have wanted some better explanation for why they had a core cast of two dozen superheroes and only four super-women who made recurring appearances. But, we’re in 2018 and LDF is designing her own ‘verse... I’m just trying to help “stir the pot” and come up with ideas.
Fair enough.
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:19 pm Because when designing a fictional universe, I feel that verisimilitude is important. This means, in part, a consistent and logical explanation for things. Had I been both alive in 1960 and in charge of DC Comics, well, yeah, I’d have wanted some better explanation for why they had a core cast of two dozen superheroes and only four super-women who made recurring appearances. But, we’re in 2018 and LDF is designing her own ‘verse... I’m just trying to help “stir the pot” and come up with ideas.
Since all of us pretty much engaged in world-building at a time or another, I think that this a good reply. Given that LDF's two line is a good starting point and I believe that there's not actual need to go much more in depth for now. In my experience one of the worst mistakes when writing a universe is explain everything. While this can provide a much greater coherence it also limits the narrative possibilities. If an idea/concept is relevant to the plot then one must work on it, otherwise I think it's better to wait and see.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

“No one knows, it’s a Great Mystery.” is a perfectly valid choice of explanation from a narrative standpoint. Even if, in-universe, it is no explaination at all. Plenty of fictional settings (including most of my own) have mysterious elements in them.
Scots Dragon

Post by Scots Dragon »

Woodclaw wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:27 pm
Since all of us pretty much engaged in world-building at a time or another, I think that this a good reply. Given that LDF's two line is a good starting point and I believe that there's not actual need to go much more in depth for now. In my experience one of the worst mistakes when writing a universe is explain everything. While this can provide a much greater coherence it also limits the narrative possibilities. If an idea/concept is relevant to the plot then one must work on it, otherwise I think it's better to wait and see.
You could even turn it into a big in-setting mystery that forms the basis of a long-term plot point, and our more modern interpretations of gender could add some really interesting dimensions to it.

Does this tie into chromasomes and genetic structures so that it's divided between XY and XX individuals, and thus transgender women are affected in the same way as cisgender men, but conversely transgender men are rendered immune to such elements? And if that is the case, what about the more common than you'd expect case of people who are intersex or have chromasomal variations and thus are born with chromasomes that don't actually match their assigned gender given that such elements are way more complex than otherwise.

Or is it connected more directly to the hormone levels, and thus a transgender woman who's on hormone replacement therapy is affected in the same way as a cisgender woman, and vice versa with the transgender men who are taking testosterone? How are people with hormone levels outside of the average affected by that?

Is it more esoteric, and connected to identity directly? Thus it's the case that people who have a male identity are more affected by this, so that transgender men are affected the same way as cisgender men, but both cisgender and transgender women are rendered completely immune? In this version, how would non-binary people be affected?

Is what causes it something that can be addressed, so as to stop all these super-villain dudes turning up, or is it inherent and permanent?
Formerly known as Narsil on the ATT and Ronin Army forums.
Thorpocalypse

Post by Thorpocalypse »

LadyDragonFly wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:20 am I had no underlining reason for why that happens save to show that the world was changing from a male dominated society to one that is more female dominant. Perhaps it's just nature's way of saying in the next step of evolution, the fairer sex becomes the dominant gender.
Come to Thorpe's Deep. We're ahead of the game. The female is by FAR the dominant gender. ;)
Me fail English? That's unpossible. - Ralph Wiggum
Spam

Post by Spam »

Thorpocalypse wrote: Tue Apr 10, 2018 1:02 am
Come to Thorpe's Deep. We're ahead of the game. The female is by FAR the dominant gender. ;)
The Spam household also maintains a 2 to 1 female to male ratio. AND the male votes are only counted half in any referendum.

Just another of the universe's many mysteries.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

Well, just the same as with my universe - there's a load of self loathing, left-handed dudes.

You make the heroes who you want to be. Continue rocking this great thread!
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Skaramine wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:29 am Well, just the same as with my universe - there's a load of self loathing, left-handed dudes.
Is there a sinister in-game reason for that?
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Davies wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:02 am Is there a sinister in-game reason for that?
Pretty dexterous use of a pun, I gotta hand it to ya.
Skaramine

Post by Skaramine »

As I told my daddy once while driving, "Go south, paw" , and I started him right
The ATT member formerly known as both MorningKnight and Power-Glove.
Just call me Doug.