Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (The Technodrome! April O'Neil! Channel 6! The Rat King!))

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:31 pm
Well-detailed and enormous, four limbs and a disgusting face- he's the perfect thing to gross out your parents.
Y'know that's weird, like, even as a kid I recognized that there were a lot of toys being marketed with the "Gross Out Your Parents" gimmick: Boglins, Garbage Pail Kids, Food Fighters, Mad Balls, M.U.S.C.L.E., the ghosts from the Ghostbusters toys... and absolutely every toyline had to have some sort of "ooze" or "slime" playset in the lineup. But I never really connected the Turtles to that trend until you said it just now.
I'll never not find it funny that the Garbage Pail Kids were created by the guy who did Maus.

But yeah, those toys were EVERYWHERE back in the day, and continue to exist in some form or another. My friends with kids point out how annoying it can be to get their kids to quit spouting "body talk" when half the toys out there seem to advertise farts or poop (a few book series do the same thing).

The Ninja Turtles line wasn't QUITE as into this as many other series were, but they were definitely a lot grosser than G.I. Joe or the Transformers- you weren't seeing floating organs in a human-shaped shell (Mutagen Man), people made of rotten garbage (Muckman) or deformed chefs with missing limbs (Pizzaface) in THOSE lines.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (April O'Neil! The Rat King! Giant Bugs! Baxter Stockman!)

Post by Jabroniville »

greycrusader wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:29 am
Jabroniville wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:48 pm The head writer of that show and Community is one of those antisocial, angry, bitter weirdos who can’t interact with others, so all his stuff devolves into “hey I know I’m terrible to be around, but I’m TRYING, alright?” Add to that the Internet social misfits who watch stuff like that and It’s Always Sunny and you have a recipe for continued internet sociopathy.
Characters who engage in dreadful behaviors CAN be funny and even engaging, so long as their antics don't descend into "depravity of the week"; but its important the consequences of their actions aren't ignored, and that they have an actual character arc, even if that just means they recognize the need to tone down their awfulness while other people are around. Too often, these kinds of shows totally forget the whole "...TRYING" part.

All my best.
This is what killed American Dad for me- the character of Roger became NON-STOP sociopathy, hardly getting any comeuppance at all and just getting to do whatever he wanted to everyone and it never mattering.

It's no mistake that this kind of character/show became a lot more common when the modern generation of writers, who had been raised on the internet, came of age.
Tattooedman

Re: Jab’s Builds! (April O'Neil! The Rat King! Giant Bugs! Baxter Stockman!)

Post by Tattooedman »

Jabroniville wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:17 am
greycrusader wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:29 am
Jabroniville wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:48 pm The head writer of that show and Community is one of those antisocial, angry, bitter weirdos who can’t interact with others, so all his stuff devolves into “hey I know I’m terrible to be around, but I’m TRYING, alright?” Add to that the Internet social misfits who watch stuff like that and It’s Always Sunny and you have a recipe for continued internet sociopathy.
Characters who engage in dreadful behaviors CAN be funny and even engaging, so long as their antics don't descend into "depravity of the week"; but its important the consequences of their actions aren't ignored, and that they have an actual character arc, even if that just means they recognize the need to tone down their awfulness while other people are around. Too often, these kinds of shows totally forget the whole "...TRYING" part.

All my best.
This is what killed American Dad for me- the character of Roger became NON-STOP sociopathy, hardly getting any comeuppance at all and just getting to do whatever he wanted to everyone and it never mattering.

It's no mistake that this kind of character/show became a lot more common when the modern generation of writers, who had been raised on the internet, came of age.
That's funny - I had the same problem with American Dad & quit watching it. I like all the other humor but the "Rogerness" irritated me so much I just couldn't enjoy the rest.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Jabroniville

Pigeon Pete

Post by Jabroniville »

PIGEON PETE
Role:
Joke Character

-Pete was a normal pigeon mutated by the Kraang into a humanoid. He was taught to speak by Kirby O'Neil (April's father) and delivered a message to her when he escaped. He later allies with the show's version of the Mighty Mutanimals, now acting as a background character. He is depicted as obsessed with bread and frequently slams into plate-glass windows.
Jabroniville

Tyler Rockwell

Post by Jabroniville »

TYLER ROCKWELL
Role:
Psychic Monkey, Joke Character

-A silly side character, Tyler Rockwell had been experimented on by the Kraang, becoming a psychic monkey. He later becomes the brains behind Slash's side group, the Mighty Mutanimals- his genius surpasses even Donatello's, but he has the arrogance and faux-English accent to render him unlikable about it. His abilities included Mind Control, Mind-Reading, and Telekinesis- all amplified by a helmet he constantly wore. He also has the basic powers of a fairly large monkey, making him strong, fast and agile- his mental abilities give him enough foresight to predict others' attacks, though for every episode but his debut he's pretty much just a jobber.
Jabroniville

Leatherhead (Overview)

Post by Jabroniville »

LEATHERHEAD:
-Another of the oldest "Always Appearing" characters in the franchise is of course Leatherhead. One of comparatively few mutant animals in the Mirage Comics, he was actually a good guy. The Leatherhead character was actually created by Ryan Brown in 1988 for a TMNT comic- Eastman & Laird had already signed off on the TV show & toyline, and were letting others write the main continuity, too. The original character was an infant alligator who had escaped a pet store and been exposed to Mutagen by Utroms. The Turtles helped him against a big-game hunter, but he later appears antagonistic after blaming the Turtles for wrecking his attempts at getting to the Utrom homeworld. They finally make good in the end, however.

But the cartoon, needing "Mutant Villains" and wanting more toys of them to sell, ended up sticking Leatherhead in the early Rogues Gallery, debuting him against the Punk Frogs in the swamps of Louisiana. Curiously enough, the Archie version went the opposite route and kept the heroic original version, also turning him into an intergalactic pro wrestler! He later joins the Mighty Mutanimals for their spin-off book and that goes on for a while.

The character appears in the 2003 series, keeping his Mirage origins with the Utroms, but becoming a Donatello-like genius. He seemingly sacrificed himself to save the Turtles, but reappeared later, having been tortured and experimented on by Agent Bishop, leaving him with emotional scars and rage issues. He had to live apart from the Turtles, but would still aide them in occasional episodes. In the Nick Toon, he is an absolutely MASSIVE character, at least 10-12 feet tall, but sports a tiny Gharial-like snouth that actually makes him look even more sinister, but he's actually on the side of the good guys. However, he is exceptionally violent and prone to berserker rages, same as the previous Leatherhead, again due to experiments- this time ones inflicted on him by the Kraang.

IDW Comics also uses Leatherhead, and is hundreds of years old, mutating after a pirate ship dropped some mutagen into the waters. He had been enslaved by Krang for decades, and got revenge by eating him alive. however, Krang began regrowing in his stomach, provoking Leatherhead into frequent rages.
Jabroniville

Leatherhead (1980s)

Post by Jabroniville »

While scum-skulking through the green, slimy depths of a rank Florida swamp, a garden-variety gator swam through a streak of orange mutagen. Faster than snap, crackle and crunch, this grinning gator mutated into Leatherhead, the biggest, meanest reptile ever to hit the amphibious circuit.

Rippling with supermutant strength and swimming ability, Leatherhead enjoys just a pinch of Turtle between his teeth and gum for true chewin' satisfaction.

This garbage can gourmet fills his gullet by trapping Turtles, tenderizing them with a blast of his swamp gun and mixing in a bag of red-hot Cajun spices. Leatherhead is the undisputed king of the swamp and could be the next sultan of the sewer when Shredder drafts him into the dreaded Foot Clan.

LEATHERHEAD- 1987 Cartoon
Role:
Villainous Powerhouse
Played By: Jim Cummings
Group Affiliations: None
PL 9 (87)
STRENGTH
8 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Bodacious Skills:
Athletics 2 (+10)
Expertise (Hunting/Survival) 6 (+6)
Intimidation 9 (+8)
Perception 4 (+4)
Stealth 1 (+2)

Gnarly Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment (Traps, Chains), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Prone Fighting, Ranged Attack 7, Startle

Radical Equipment:
"Traps & Chains" (assorted bear-traps, pinching lobsters on his belt, & more) (5)

Tubular Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent) [2]
"Sensory Pits" Senses 3 (Accurate Ranged Touch) (Flaws: Limited to Underwater) [1.5]

"Water-Based Creature"
Swimming 5 (8mph) [5]
Immunity 1 (Drowning) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [0.5]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Underwater) [2]

Righteous Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +1

Awesome Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +4

Bummer Complications:
Enemy (The Turtles)
Motivation (Fighting)- Leatherhead seemingly just likes a good scrap- he often brawls with everyone he meets, even guys like the Rat King.
Obsession (Spouting Cajun-Isms)- "I GAIR-ON-TEEEEEE!!!"

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 11 / Defenses: 11 (87)

-Like the Rat King, Leatherhead is common to all TMNT versions, though usually in altered form. In the Mirage & Archie Comics, he was a heroic figure (he even joined the Mighty Mutanimals at Archie!). In the 1987 cartoon, however, Leatherhead was a vicious, Cajun-accented, slang-spoutin' monster (I still remember the way he puncuated every sentence with "I GAH-RON-TEEEEE!"). He debuts in the Florida Everglades, having been mutated by the run-off of the Mutagen that created the Punk Frogs. An enormous Gator-Man, he waltzed in and soon beat the hell out of all four Frogs at once, and made them his personal servants! The Frogs quickly called the Turtles for assistance, at which point the heroes rapidly arrived in Florida (HOW??) and fought the villain. Shredder and his minions soon got involved, and teamed up against the heroes, but were eventually stomped. He would reappear a few other times, once being captured by the Rat King (who threw a Soda Pop Bomb that KO'd the Cajun Crocodilian), and another time allying with him, then teamed with all of the other Rogues.

-Leatherhead's toy was remarkably-tiny, especially considering the character on TV was HUGE. A full head taller than almost any other character, and ridiculously-strong. They gave him a great "you should buy this toy IMMEDIATELY!" push, and I was a huge Leatherhead fan. Unfortunately, the toy was a shrunk-down guy with squat legs, short arms, and a head that was apparently quite notorious for falling off. Another personal TMNT-related story: My Leatherhead toy actually lost his head while on the school playground one day, and I didn't notice until I got back to class. Despite a search (even showing up in the school's "paper" sent to each class), the head was never uncovered- apparently a GREEN HEAD amidst an entire grassy portion of school property is rather difficult to locate. Oddly, I was never particularly-heartbroken about the loss, but like a lot of TMNT stuff, I actually remember it fairly well.

-Leatherhead is a vicious PL 9 powerhouse, a bit cheap on points, but a solid hunter with epic grappling skills that put him above any one turtle. His toy version includes a red shotgun, but this is the Cartoon Version. The Archie Version is more or less like this (maybe PL 8)- he was heroic, but prone to going "Ut!" every time he required effort.
Jabroniville

Leatherhead (Archie)

Post by Jabroniville »

LEATHERHEAD (Jess Harley)- Archie Comics
Role:
Friendly Cajun, Intergalactic Pro Wrestler
Group Affiliations: The Mighty Mutanimals
PL 8 (87)
STRENGTH
7 STAMINA 7 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 1
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Bodacious Skills:
Athletics 2 (+10)
Expertise (Hunting/Survival) 6 (+6)
Intimidation 7 (+8)
Perception 4 (+5)
Stealth 1 (+2)

Gnarly Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment (Traps, Chains), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Prone Fighting, Ranged Attack 7, Startle

Radical Equipment:
"Traps & Chains" (assorted bear-traps, pinching lobsters on his belt, & more) (5)

Tubular Powers:
"Animal Senses" Senses 2 (Low-Light Vision, Acute & Extended Scent) [2]
"Sensory Pits" Senses 3 (Accurate Ranged Touch) (Flaws: Limited to Underwater) [1.5]

"Water-Based Creature"
Swimming 5 (8mph) [5]
Immunity 1 (Drowning) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [0.5]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Underwater) [2]

Righteous Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +1

Awesome Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +7, Fortitude +7, Will +6

Bummer Complications:
Enemy (The Turtles)
Motivation (Fighting)- Leatherhead seemingly just likes a good scrap- he often brawls with everyone he meets, even guys like the Rat King.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 20--10 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 11 / Defenses: 12 (87)

-Leatherhead's Archie Comics appearance was quite odd, because he copies the appearance of the toy & cartoon version, but his status as friendly ally is more akin to the Mirage original. Written by his original creator Ryan Brown, this Leatherhead was a poor human who was mutated when an evil witch named Mary Bones transformed him using magic. Shredder manipulates Leatherhead into joining him, but when he realizes that Shred-head is evil, he allies with the Turtles against him. He later appears on "Stump Asteroid", wrestling for the Intergalactic Wrestling Federation, meeting the Turtles yet again and running off with their new friends, the Mighty Mutanimals.

-With a penchant for saying "Ut!" at all times (expressions of pain, surprise, etc.) and a friendly demeanor, this Leatherhead was kind of a boisterous hero, despite looking pretty sinister. He appeared as a regular in The Mighty Mutanimals and even got a three-part Limited Series called Donatello and Leatherhead, but he was sadly killed off with the rest of the Mutanimals before the Archie series was cancelled.

-This Leatherhead isn't a "fight all four Turtles at once" kinda guy, and is more of a reasonable PL 8 power-fighter instead. He's a good wrestler and brawler, and still a survivalist, but more low-yield. A 2003 version is probably like this, but much smarter (INT 6 or so), while the 2012 Nick version probably has these mental stats but the power of the 1980s version.
Jabroniville

Scumbug

Post by Jabroniville »

Sent to eliminate the bug problem in the Technodrome, a mild-mannered exterminator got accidentally oozed and mutated into the scampering, sickening Scumbug. Unable to face other customers, Scumbag saddled up with Shredder as his ace assassin. Armed with his poisonous pinchers and a tank full of Anti-Turtle Spray, this rude roach chews his way through almost anything. His power claw and bullet-proof shell make him a tough Turtlebustin’ bug. And when the going gets rough, this roach gets other bugs to rally ’round him. Using his super-sensitive antennae as a telepathic link to insidious insects, Scumbug’s the Pied Piper of the creepy and the crawly. You’ll know when you’re near his army – just listen for the crunch.

SCUMBUG
Role:
Mutant Bug
Played By: Pat Fraley
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (117)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Bodacious Skills:
Athletics 5 (+9)
Expertise (Exterminator) 6 (+6)
Intimidation 7 (+7)
Perception 5 (+5)
Stealth 3 (+6)

Gnarly Advantages:
Equipment 6 (Gun, Spray Hose), Ranged Attack 7, Startle

Radical Equipment:
"Turtle Exterminating Gun" Blast 5 (10)
"Bug Pack w/ Hose Assembly" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Feats: Reach 4) (Extras: Area- 15ft. Cloud, Cumulative) (28)
"Acid Spray" Blast 5 Linked to Weaken Toughness 5 (Extras: Ranged, Affects Objects) (Diminished Range -1) (24)
"Net" Snare 6 (18)

Tubular Powers:
"Mutant Insect"
"Animal Senses" Senses 2 (Acute & Extended Scent) [2]
Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) [2]

"Insect Control"
Summon Bug Swarm 2 [4]
Communication (Mental) 2 (Extras: Area) (Flaws: Limited to Bugs) [8]
Mind Control 4 (Flaws: Limited to Bugs) [12]

Righteous Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Bug Pack +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Acid Spray +10 (+5 Ranged Damage & Weaken, DC 20 & 15)
Net +10 (+6 Ranged Affliction, DC 16)
Gun +10 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Awesome Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +4

Bummer Complications:
Prejudice (Monster)

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 28 / Defenses: 12 (117)

-Scumbug was one of the more-boring "early toy" releases, in my opinion- just a purple insectoid guy in regular (albeit torn) clothes. He showed up briefly in the Archie series and the cartoon, where oddly he was treated as an "old foe" of the group, despite never having appeared before. This was the 1993 episode The Night of the Rogues, where Shredder gathered all of the Turtles' old enemies to fight them- the ending is considered a bit of a disappointment, as the "obvious" solution of gathering all of the Turtles' old FRIENDS wasn't used to its fullest, and instead they just grabbed Casey Jones & Zach the Fifth Turtle. In the episode, he used a couple of gadgets (an Acid Spray and a Glowing Net), and spoke with a pronounced lisp (I swear it was some cruel bastard who decided that the term for lisps had to include an "S" sound, so that lispers would actually lisp when saying it).

-Scumbug is a pretty low-tier TMNT foe, created for the toyline in 1990, and not getting an appearance in the fiction until three years later (in a bit of a continuity error). He and Wyrm have a hilariously one-off appearance in the Archie Comics, simply mutating at the same time and getting into a fight before being electrocuted. This reads like "the producers forced us to include these characters, but we'll be damned if we make them important"- they show up in a later appearance, but aren't important. He appears in a cameo in the IDW Comics, with a totally different appearance, and shows up in one episode of the Nick Toon, where he is mutated from a businessman captured by Baxter Stockman- combining a stag beetle & spider, he is meant to be an ally of Baxter's.

-Scumbug is a former exterminator who got exposed to Mutagen, and thus of course became an assassin of Shredder's. His Poisonous Spray-Hose thing makes him a bit of a different kind of threat.
Jabroniville

Antrax

Post by Jabroniville »

When Antrax comes marching in, heads will roll! He's mean; he's deadly - and worst of all, he's quadridexterous! That means he has four arms (just count 'em)! This insidious insect used to be the only executioner in Dimension X. That was until yesterday, when Krang, on his annual scouting trip for Turtle tearing talent , spotted this top crop choice! Krang was impressed with Antrax's skill with the ante-up axe and the beat 'em back bat. Krang offered Antrax money, power - even cable T.V.(with all the channels, of course). Antrax accepted and became Krang's own judge, jury and Turtle executioner. Dimension X is now a tad nicer place to visit, but the Turtles are now more worried than ever. Besides his battling bites and unnatural devotion to Krang, this awesome-armed ant will turn any Turtle pizza picnic into a panic party.

ANTRAX
Role:
One-Off Villain
Played By: Pat Fraley
Group Affiliations: Krang's Employ
PL 7 (72)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 0

Bodacious Skills:
Athletics 2 (+6)
Expertise (Executioner) 4 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+4)

Gnarly Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment 2 (Axe), Ranged Attack 4

Radical Equipment:
"Axe" Strength-Damage +3 (Extras: Penetrating 5) (8)

Tubular Powers:
"Alien Ant"
"Insect Senses" Senses 3 (Acute Scent, Radius Sight, Direction Sense) [3]
Features 1: Leaves Pheromone Trail All Ants Can Follow [1]
Extra Limbs 2 [2]

Righteous Offense:
Unarmed +7 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Axe +7 (+7 Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +2

Awesome Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Bummer Complications:
Responsibility (Krang's Personal Executioner)

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 12--6 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 6 / Defenses: 15 (72)

-Antrax got one of the weirder shots in the TV show- in Night of the Rogues, Shredder gathers together a huge assortment of past Turtle foes... and adds Scumbug & Antrax to the mix. Scumbug is treated as having met the TMNT before, despite never appearing in the show previously, but Antrax is "Krang's Personal Executioner", and wields an axe. Unfortunately, he turns out to be a pretty terrible fighter- his one battle consists of having his axe's head chopped off by Leonardo, who then spin-kicks him away. Keep in mind the point of this episode was that the Turtles were drastically outnumbered, to the point where they were captured and had to be springed by their mostly-human allies. Antrax's goofy, high-and-mighty, imperious-sounding voice didn't help matters, either. Not much of a sell-job on his toy, which had come out two years earlier. Not that it was a particularly great one- he's just a black ant with a purple hood.

-A black ant called Antrax appears in the 2012 Nick Toon as a mutant ally of Baxter Stockman's alongside Scumbug, and another version gets a cameo in the IDW Comics, acting as a wrestler in Stump's arena- he is defeated when Raphael becomes enraged, KO'ing him in one shot.

-Losing so easily in his one and only outing (most TMNT foes can usually beat up the ENTIRE TEAM in their debut), I can't imagine Antrax is that good. He's one of the few PL 7 villains.
Woodclaw

Re: Jab’s Builds! (The Rat King! Baxter Stockman! Leatherhead!)

Post by Woodclaw »

What?
No 2003 Leatherhead?
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Woodclaw wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 8:22 am What?
No 2003 Leatherhead?
I left out all but the two most familiar & interesting to me- I actually watched a bunch of the 2012 version but didn't even build that one. I've never even seen the 2003 version.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Antrax is a great villain name. Totally wasted on this guy
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Los Ántrax is the name used by a gang of enforcers/hitmen/thugs that work for the Sinaloa Cartel, one of the largest international drug trafficking and organized crime syndicates on Earth... I'm going to assume this was unknown to the designers working for Playmates Toys, who probably just liked the "'Ant + Tracks' kinda sounds like 'Anthrax'" pun.

But, much like DC Comics' mighty Isis, from the Captain Marvel family of characters, the name carries some unfortunate unintended associations.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Davies

Post by Davies »

In their defense, the toy came out in 1991, where Los Antrax seems to have formed in 2008, according to the biography of their now-deceased leader.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."