Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Bebop (Nickelodeon)

Post by Jabroniville »

BEBOP (Anton Zeck)- 2012 Nick Toon
Role:
Mutant Rhino, Evil Russian
Played By: Fred Tatasciore
Group Affiliations: The Foot Clan
PL 8 (137)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Bodacious Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+12)
Athletics 8 (+11)
Deception 2 (+4)
Expertise (Thief) 9 (+10)
Expertise (Dancing) 6 (+8)
Intimidation 3 (+5)
Perception 3 (+5)
Technology 6 (+7)
Vehicles 4 (+8)

Gnarly Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Rollerblades- Speed 5), Evasion, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Defenses, Move-By Action, Ranged Attack 4, Takedown 2

Tubular Powers:
"Mutant Warthog"
"Animal Senses" Senses 2 (Acute & Extended Scent) [2]
"Merged With Rollerblades" Speed 6 (120 mph) [6]
"Laser Beams From Hands/Energy Fields From Mohawk" Blast 6 [12]

Righteous Offense:
Unarmed +12 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Laser Beams +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +0

Awesome Defenses:
Dodge +13 (DC 23), Parry +13 (DC 23), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Bummer Complications:
Prejudice (Monster)
Enemy (The Turtles)

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 48--24 / Advantages: 12 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 14 (137)

-In the Nick Toon, Bebop is reimagined as a scrawny, ultra-quick thief on rollerblades, working for the man who becomes Rocksteady- he is mutated a few episodes after his debut, and is furious when Mikey starts calling him "Bebop"- no idea why he maintains that name thereafter, then.

-This Bebop is ultra-fast, being a different kind of foe for the Turtles- he can outrun any of them, dodge most of their attacks, and even shoot Laser Beams following his mutation. His fighting abilities are kind of strange, as he easily defeats the 1987 Turtles and Shredder in one episode, despite those characters all being reasonably skilled combatants in their own universe.
Skavenger

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Fugitoid! Metalhead! Muckman! Rocksteady & Bebop!)

Post by Skavenger »

So, I take a few days to go on vacation, and I miss out on Rick and Morty hate (yay), discussion about Bebop and Rocksteady (boo), and the build for April which doesn’t get anywhere near as much art shown as it should (boooooooo).

So, let’s get caught up.

It took me forever to realize that the Archie Comics continuity was different from the 87 cartoon continuity. The presence of a floating space-worthy cow head should have been a huge hint, but go figure, I was young and dumb then. Plus, it was Archie, and man, those comics were pretty much like episodes of the show but with less of a penchant for breaking the fourth wall.

Then I zoned out for a bit and came back just in time to see all the mutantanimals be murdered. In an ARCHIE comic of all places. And if I remember correctly, it wasn’t an off-screen death, it was depicted at least three times on-panel (them being gunned down and blown up) and there was a two page spread where Mondo Gecko’s girlfriend was shown them suffering in Hell.

I realize now it was a full circle to the origin of the team (the villain they united to defeat came back, killed most of them, but gets defeated by the turtles and killed by Slash, the only surviving Mutanimal), but it was jarring to see in a title I usually went to as a reprieve from the continuously dark and gritty mainstream comics of the 90s.

Also, I was never sure if the April who became a badass fighter in the Genesis version of TMNT Tournament Fighters was meant to be the cartoon one, the comics one, or some other one,

But as much as I love April (and I do), I blame her for how many of my comic-reading brethren react to the character of Lois Lane. I have friends who haaaaaate Lois as some constant “damsel in distress always needing saving by Superman,” and I have to constantly correct them. They’ll point out she shouldn’t be investigating plots by supervillains, and I’ll have to point out that it’s what investigative journalists DO, it’s just in the real world we don’t have telepathic gorillas turning us into apes or alien computers bottling up cities. April constantly got into trouble, but she and Lois are miles apart in terms of capability, skill, grit, and ability to survive “everyday threats.” Give Lois unlimited money and martial arts lessons by Lady Shiva, she’d be a better detective than Batman. Give April the same and she’d be... Dan Hibiki.
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

Bebop! Bebop? I have family members who BeBop all around, even Grandma! But they don't look like that pic! :lol:
Jabroniville

Pizzaface

Post by Jabroniville »

Pizzaface - Shredder's crazed culinary creator - had a plan to become the most powerful pizza chef ever. So he zapped himself in his Retro mutagen oven, hoping the energy would bake him with badness. But the hungry Turtle Teens burst into the parlor and pulled Pizzaface out. Now this half-baked bozo wants to get even with the Turtles for foiling his formula. All the Turtles wanted was a large pepperoni to go - but instead they got part pizza and part Pizzaface!

Possessing the power of the pizza pie, Pizzaface is the ultimate Turtle nightmare: traveling from parlor to parlor, he terrorizes the Turtles, trying to turn them into tasty teen topping. Armed with flying pizzas and a Pizza Box Shield, this peg-legged pizza piper follows the Foot Clan, even though he's only got one good leg. And what's worse? He delivers.

PIZZAFACE
Role:
Gross Villain
Played By: N/A
Group Affiliations: The Shredder's Employ
PL 8 (73)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE -1

Bodacious Skills:
Expertise (Chef) 6 (+6)
Intimidation 6 (+5)
Perception 4 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Pizzas) 2 (+10)

Gnarly Advantages:
Close Attack 1, Equipment 3 (Cleaver, Shield), Ranged Attack 6, Startle

Radical Equipment:
"Clever Cleaver" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Penetrating 4) (6)
"Pizza Box Shield" Enhanced Defenses 2 (4)
"Propeller Pizzas" Blast 4 (Feats: Ricochet) (Diminished Range -1) (8)

Righteous Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Clever Cleaver +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Pizzas +10 (+4 Ranged Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +2

Awesome Defenses:
Dodge +8 (+10 Shield, DC 18-20), Parry +9 (+11 Shield, DC 19-21), Toughness +5, Fortitude +7, Will +3

Bummer Complications:
Prejudice (Freak)
Motivation (Turning the Turtles into Toppings)

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 11 (73)

-Among the most grotesque toys of the 1980s, Pizzaface is DISGUSTING- a lumpy, drooling guy covered in what looks like blood (but can be passed off as "sauce"), complete with a pizza cutter for a foot and a PIZZA BOX for a foot! He never appeared in the cartoon (possibly being too horrifying for young audiences), so this 1990 action figure is all we got. It's a hell of a figure, though- gross and bloated just like we liked 'em!

-Amazingly, the 2012 Nick Toon actually used the name of the character, as one of those "advertisement chefs" named Antonio tastes some Mutagen, hoping it'll be a good ingredient to use on his pizzas. And of course he mutates into a giant pizza monster that wanted to eat people. And Michelangelo discovers that the way to defeat him was to EAT HIM from inside, a hilariously-gross method of dismemberment for this bizarre show. We get the "It was all a dream" ending, but with the "PSYCHE!" variant, as Mikey faints upon being attacked by the last piece of pizza, and wakes up in his room thinking he'd imagined it... and then that slice is seen slinking away. He never appears again, only getting a background shot once.

-The toy Pizza Face is a generic PL 8 brawler with a Shield & Cleaver to use as weapons. The Nick version is actually tremendously powerful, having Mind Control (Limited to people who've eaten the living pizzas he made), Slithering, Insubstantial 2, Pain Immunity, Cheese Snare and things like that.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Skavenger wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:44 am So, I take a few days to go on vacation, and I miss out on Rick and Morty hate (yay), discussion about Bebop and Rocksteady (boo), and the build for April which doesn’t get anywhere near as much art shown as it should (boooooooo).
Okay, I added a couple of pics just for you :P. Though if I posted any of what I found on DeviantArt, Ares would ban me for sure!
It took me forever to realize that the Archie Comics continuity was different from the 87 cartoon continuity. The presence of a floating space-worthy cow head should have been a huge hint, but go figure, I was young and dumb then. Plus, it was Archie, and man, those comics were pretty much like episodes of the show but with less of a penchant for breaking the fourth wall.

Then I zoned out for a bit and came back just in time to see all the mutantanimals be murdered. In an ARCHIE comic of all places. And if I remember correctly, it wasn’t an off-screen death, it was depicted at least three times on-panel (them being gunned down and blown up) and there was a two page spread where Mondo Gecko’s girlfriend was shown them suffering in Hell.

I realize now it was a full circle to the origin of the team (the villain they united to defeat came back, killed most of them, but gets defeated by the turtles and killed by Slash, the only surviving Mutanimal), but it was jarring to see in a title I usually went to as a reprieve from the continuously dark and gritty mainstream comics of the 90s.
Yep, you can find the pages where they die on the Turtlepedia wiki site- they're gunned down and hit with explosives on-panel, though the post-carnage scene uses black blood and you can't see any open wounds so it doesn't look as gory. But they're still dead.

The continuities were apparently largely the same until a few issues in when the writers, who had an absurd amount of freedom when you think about how big a project this was, went away from doing adaptations of the TV episodes (Man-Ray, for example, does not appear in the toon) and just did their own thing. They were Mirage employees I guess, so wanted to honor that a bit more... and then just get weird.
Jabroniville

The Mutagen Man

Post by Jabroniville »

Victim of Krang's insidious experiments, Seymour Gutz woke up from a lab table only to find himself hideously transformed into Mutagen Man - a pathetic, dripping, ever-changing mutating monster. Confined to a mechanical life support system that holds his mutating body together, Mutagen Man is now dependent on Ooze to replenish his deteriorating form. Forced to do Shredder's bidding in exchange for Retromutagen Ooze, Mutagen Man reluctantly performs dastardly deeds to get the substance his body so desperately craves.

Armed with his Mutagen Machine Gun, Mutagen Man relentlessly tracks down the Turtles and their allies. Head for the sewers and hide your Ooze! Mutagen Man's on his way - and you just know he has the guts to get you!

THE MUTAGEN MAN (Seymour Gutz)
Role:
Gross Hero
Played By: Rob Paulsen
Group Affiliations: N/A
PL 8 (90)
STRENGTH
4 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 1
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE -1

Bodacious Skills:
Expertise (Deliveryman) 4 (+4)
Insight 2 (+3)
Perception 2 (+3)

Gnarly Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Mutagen Machine Gun), Ranged Attack 6, Startle

Radical Equipment:
"Mutagen Machine Gun" Blast 6 (Extras: Multiattack) (18)

Tubular Powers:
Morph 4 (Any Form) (Quirks: Cannot Maintain Singular Form For Long -2) [18]

"Floating Mass of Organs" Immunity 1 (Drowning) [1]

Righteous Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +1

Awesome Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +8, Fortitude +8, Will +4

Bummer Complications:
Prejudice (Freak)- He's basically eyes, a mouth and a spinal cord floating in a liquid ooze. He makes Roseanne Barr appear to be a looker.
Responsibility (Poor Sense of Direction)- As he was a deliveryman, this was a problem.
Weakness (Lack of Mutagen)- Seymour requires the Ooze to live- if his supply dwindles, he will quickly die (he is, after all, just a bunch of organs).

Total: Abilities: 46 / Skills: 8--4 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 19 / Defenses: 10 (90)

-Based on a Peter Laird sketch, The Mutagen Man ended up in both the toys and the cartoon. In the cartoon, nerdy deliveryman Seymour Gutz was transformed when Rocksteady & Bebop knocked him into a container of Retromutagen Ooze, turning him into one of the ugliest-looking Mutants in history- essentially a bunch of floating organs in a tub (though the show included more facial features- eyes and a mouth attached to a brain- to allow for expressions). Requiring more Ooze to live, he was forced to work for Shredder & Krang, using his ability to transform into anything temporarily. Eventually, the Turtles undo Shredder & Krang's plan, and give Seymour the secret element that he requires to transform back. Of course, getting to CHOOSE his next form, he chose the form of a handsome, debonair-looking man (albeit with a pencil mustache and silver in his hair). "I may be a nerd", he says, "but I am not stupid". Then he went out on a date with April. Unfortunately, like a lot of toy-based episodes, this one was a one-off appearance, and we never saw him again.

-His toy is PHENOMENAL, too- one of the best "concepts" of the line, which often defaulted to the same old lazy "Mutant Anthropomorphic Character" archetype. Not THIS guy- his toy is essentially a hollow tub surrounded by an armature with arms and legs, with a bunch of floating bits. The tub naturally can be filled with water, to allow the "bits" to actually FLOAT AROUND inside him. Effectively the world's most disgusting snowglobe. And you all know about how much '80s kids loved disgusting things.

-The Mutagen Man is a guy who was a one-off in the TV show and got his own toy, but has had more of a life elsewhere. The 2012 Nick series actually brought the character back, initially using him as The Pulverizer- a wannabe superhero named Timmy, seemingly inspired by Zach the Fifth Ninja Turtle. However, he later got into some mutagen and became THIS show's "Mutagen Man", complete with a bunch of organs floating around a tank. Donatello tries to cure him, but Timmy drinks more mutagen and becomes powerful, going on a rampage. He is finally frozen by Donnie, who promises to cure him some day. He does not recover from this.

-The IDW Comics also used him, this time as a random mutant created by Null who was a combination of various animal body parts. Despondent and suicidal over his lot in life, he attempted to kill himself but was rescued by Mondo Gecko and became an ally. However, he was badly injured by Slash and was saved by Mondo & Michelangelo... but Seymour screamed at the two, having wanted to die and end his life. But Mondo, seeing him as a brother and not wanting to be without him, broke down in tears, and the two embraced as Mondo begged forgiveness. WELL THAT'S UPLIFTING.

-A pretty simple character, working on the level of a Morph-based power-set. He doesn't appear to even be a real FIGHTER.
Jabroniville

The Punk Frogs

Post by Jabroniville »

Yes- THESE are supposed to be punks. Since when do punks shop at frickin' Tommy Bahama's?

THE PUNK FROGS (Atilla the Frog, Napoleon Bonafrog, Genghis Frog, Rasputin the Mad Frog)
Role:
Would-Be Mirror Image Villains
Played By: Townsend Coleman (Attila), Pat Fraley (Napoleon), Jim Cummings (Genghis), Nicholas Omana (Rasputin)
Group Affiliations: The Punk Frogs
PL 7 (83)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 1

Bodacious Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 6 (+9)
Deception 2 (+3)
Insight 2 (+3)
Perception 2 (+3)

Gnarly Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Defenive Attack, Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Chosen Weapon), Improved Disarm, Set-Up, Teamwork

Tubular Powers:
"Mutant Frogs"
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Ultravision, Infravision & Direction Sense) [3]
Swimming 4 (4 mph) [4]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]

Righteous Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative +4

Awesome Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +5

Bummer Complications:
Prejudice (Freak)

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 7 / Powers: 9 / Defenses: 11 (83)

-The Punk Frogs are an early addition to the franchise, and had a pretty typical origin and concept- "Mirror Image Villains" who simply ended up getting affected by Mutagen run-off. Their origin actually mirrors that of the Turtles- a canister of Shredder's Mutagen got sent to the Florida swamps by accident, and four frogs (who were about to be adopted by a kid, until his mom objected) wandered into the mess, and got transformed. Shredder discovered them when he went to find the Mutagen, and a lightbulb went off over his head- he trained them in Ninjitsu to COUNTER the Turtles, giving each of them individualized weapons and naming them not after great artists, but great VILLAINS and CONQUERORS. And so we had Attila the Frog, Genghis Frog, Rasputin the Mad Frog, and Napoleon Bonafrog. And yes, he gave some of them different "surnames".

-The four Frogs were dressed in... Hawaiian shirts and shorts, the universal indicators of the punk subculture. Then they were trained to fight the Turtles (awfully quickly, really- but then, Mutants tend to be fast learners. Most of them begin speaking English immediately, regardless of origin), despite being rather decent fellows. Shredder had them convinced that the TMNT were evil and that HE was a hero, but once they discovered the truth, they turned on him.

-The Punk Frogs reappeared in a few more episodes- in one, they were assaulted by, and made the slaves of, the new mutant Leatherhead (a Cajun 'Gator), and had to call upon the TMNT for help. Despite reappearing a few times, there were only ever a pair of toys released- one was the 1989 Genghis Frog figure, which looked pretty show-accurate. However, as the four were all essentially the same guy with different colors, I guess they didn't want to replicate that, and so the second figure was 1990's Napoleon Bonafrog, who was given a CRAZY-cool appearance. Looking more like a nasty horned toad, he had a vicious grin and a heck of a lot more detail than the boring Genghis (really, all of the Punk Frogs had weak designs in the show. At least the TMNT, while pallette swaps of each other, looked COOL). Their toy releases actually led to Genghis & Napoleon getting their own episodes later (Napoleon's toy was released in 1990- one year after Genghis's). In Genghis's, he travels to New York alone for some reason, and is rescued from a giant mutated fly by the Turtles, and helps them out against giant monster insects created by Shredder & Krang. In Napoleon's, he grows to gigantic size.

-The characters show up in the 2012 Nick Toon, largely as a big in-joke in that Napoleon is played by Jon Heder, who was in Napoleon Dynamite- he uses the same voice and intonations. Atilla the Frog, meanwhile, is a big fat Jabba the Hutt parody, but talks like Vito Corleone. The Frogs form a big army and plan on assaulting human society, but Mikey's friendship with Napoleon convinces them not to.

-The Punk Frogs are decent, but low-level, fighters. They're effectively less-experienced Ninja Turtles, and with less experience and poorer showings, they're not very elite. Leatherhead, for example, EASILY defeats all four of them at once, and even WITH New Villain Stink, that's pretty bad.

The Individual Frogs:
GENGHIS FROG- PL 7 (85): Equipment 2 (Battleaxe +2, Penetrating 5) [2]
-Genghis wasn't any different from the others in the show, but had the most vicious-looking weapon, and was the only one to get a show-accurate toy for whatever reason. He's named after Genghis Khan, the legendary Mongol warlord who conquered an unimaginably-huge swath of land (which grew under his heirs). Naturally, you never saw him hit anybody with his weapon.

ATTILA THE FROG- PL 7 (84): Equipment 1 (Flail +2, Reach, Improved Trip) [1]
-Attila is named for Attila the Hun, a mysterious figure from a mysterious, raiding bunch of people.

RASPUTIN THE MAD FROG- PL 7 (100): Ranged Attack 5, "Bow & Arrow" Net Arrow (Snare 6), Flash Arrow (Dazzle 6), Smoke Arrow (Affliction 6- Cloud, Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated, Ranged) [17]
-Rasputin is named for Rasputin, the "Mad Monk", who scandalized Pre-Communist Russia with his cult of personality and connection to the Tsar's family. He's the only one of the four with a ranged weapon, and it's actually pretty neat- he's a low-end version of a Green Arrow type. Despite the name, he is no more angry or crazy than any of his brothers.

NAPOLEON BONAFROG- PL 7 (84): Equipment 1 (Bullwhip +1, Reach 2, Improved Trip) [1]
-Napoleon is named for Napoleon Bonaparte, a tremendous general and conqueror who took over much of Europe. He got the second, much-cooler toy, and was naturally voiced by Jon "Napoleon Dynamite" Heder in the Nickelodeon cartoon, because really. In the "Leatherhead" episode, he saves the day by using his Bullwhip to pull everyone out of a pit of quicksand. It takes him like THREE MINUTES to even think of this.
Batgirl III

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Muckman! Rocksteady & Bebop! Mutagen Man! Punk Frogs!)

Post by Batgirl III »

Wait... You forgot to include the obligatory (I hate punkers.) comment!
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 3:26 am Wait... You forgot to include the obligatory (I hate punkers.) comment!
Consarnit! You're right! All those uses of the word "Punk" and I left it out!
Jabroniville

Scale Tail

Post by Jabroniville »

Krang’s tired of taking on the Teens without professional help. So he’s brought in a new low-life bad guy. And when it comes to low-life, no one is lower than Scale Tail. He’s known as the highest paid bounty hunter from Dimension X. Scale Tail never fails to bag his bounty – and now he’s after the Turtles. This sleezeball is no slouch, ’cause he’s fully armed (okay, so they’re more like tentacles). Scale Tail’s got everything a belly-slidin’ psycho needs to cash in on the Turtle Teens. That venomous backpack holds more than just lunch! And be careful with that wattage whip – it’s electrified! Oh, and the most exciting aspect about Scale Tail – he can swallow the Turtles whole. So be on the lookout for Scale Tail, the dangerously digesting double-dealing Snake.

SCALE TAIL
Role:
Toy-Only Character, Snake-Man
Played By: N/A
Group Affiliations: Dimension X
PL 8 (146)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 5 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 11 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 0

Bodacious Skills:
Athletics 4 (+7)
Deception 5 (+5)
Expertise (Bounty Hunter) 6 (+8)
Insight 3 (+5)
Intimidation 6 (+6)
Investigation 4 (+6)
Perception 3 (+5)
Stealth 4 (+8)
Technology 3 (+5)

Gnarly Advantages:
Equipment 4 (Guns, Whip), Improved Critical (Guns), Fast Grab, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 6, Startle

Radical Equipment:
"Scale Shooter" Blast 6 (Extras: Multiattack) (Inaccurate -1) (17)
"Vicious Venom Pistol" Blast 5 (10)
"Wattage Whip" Strength-Damage +2 (Feats: Reach 3) (5)

Tubular Powers:
Movement 1 (Slithering) [2]
Senses 4 (Accurate Infravision, Scent) [4]
Immunity 1 (Poison) [1]

"Multiple Snake Heads For a Hand"
Extra Limb 2 [2]
Enhanced Advantages: Second Chance (Perception Checks) [1]
Senses 1 (Radius Vision) [1]

"Venomous Bite- Paralytic" Affliction 7 (Fort; Dazed & Fatigued/Exhausted & Stunned/Incapacitated & Paralyzed) (Feats: Reach 2) (Extras: Extra Condition, Progression +2) (Quirk: Takes 3-4 Rounds to Start -2) [28]

Righteous Offense:
Unarmed +11 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Whip +11 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Bite +10 (+7 Affliction, DC 17)
Pistol +10 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Scale Shooter +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +8

Awesome Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +5, Fortitude +6, Will +5

Bummer Complications:
Motivation (Greed)- Scale Tail is an evil bounty hunter.
Prejudice (Freak)

Total: Abilities: 62 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 39 / Defenses: 11 (146)

-Scale Tail is another Toy-Only character, coming out in 1992- it's only fitting that a series about mutant reptiles would EVENTUALLY feature a snake. He's actually a pretty cool toy, and his concept is classic- why NOT just hire intergalactic bounty hunters to go after your arch-enemies? He's one of those guys who could have gotten a lot more focus, but there just wasn't time for him- he debuted in 1992, and the show was doing much shorter seasons by then. The only other appearance of Scale Tail in the franchise is as a Stage Boss in the 1993 Radical Rescue Game Boy game. The closest thing any other version of the franchise has to him is what Karai turned into in the Nickelodeon series- a snake-monster with snakes for arms.
Shock

Post by Shock »

I gotta call BS on his ability to swallow the Turtles whole. He's not nearly big enough
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Shock wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:45 pm I gotta call BS on his ability to swallow the Turtles whole. He's not nearly big enough
Hey, if April O’Neil can do it...

(Children under 18 should not Google that joke.)
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Shock wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 1:45 pm I gotta call BS on his ability to swallow the Turtles whole. He's not nearly big enough
One might think but then you see a picture of an anaconda swallowing a croc whole and well things get funky from there
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Jabroniville

The Shredder (Overview)

Post by Jabroniville »

THE SHREDDER:
-Hilariously, the character so integral to the origin of the TMNT was a guy they killed off in the first issue- they had him show up, challenge the boys, who got revenge for their master by killing him. Shredder had a backstory involving Hamato Yoshi- a kindly martial artist. Splinter, Yoshi's pet rat, watched his master die at Oroku Saki's hands, and when he mutated, trained his sons in the same skills that Yoshi used. Saki, now the Shredder, took control of the Foot Clan and was wrecking New York, and so the Turtles came a-calling and stopped him under Splinter's orders. Leonardo ran Shredder through with his katana, offering him an honorable death, but Shredder instead threw a grenade, hoping to take the boys with him- Donatello knocked it back at him, and the Shredder exploded.

And from these humble origins come all the different Shredders, appearing in nearly every continuity so far as a recurring nemesis. Most of them simplify the story greatly- in the original comic, Shredder is the younger brother of a man who loved Yoshi's beloved Tang Shen, and was killed in battle when he tried to kill Yoshi. Shredder thus killed Yoshi & Tang Shen, leaving Splinter alone, where he then mutated. Subsequent stories usually delete the older brother (Oroku Nagi) entirely. The '80s cartoon didn't even use Tang Shen, and Yoshi WAS Splinter.

Since the first Shredder was written for a one-off comic book that wasn't, y'know, intended to create a 40-year franchise, he was easily discarded, but later writers were a bit more conservative, turning him into a recurring bad guy. In the 1980s Cartoon, he was a badass at first, but soon got written into being kind of a whiny, grudge-holding madman, constantly bickering with Krang. The Archie Comics version reflected the earlier version before they kinda left him aside, while the 1990s film series made him more like the darker Mirage version- a scary menace. The Mirage version sort of returned as a sentient mass of worms, as the Foot had attempted to resurrect Shredder- this mass eventually became a mutant shark before the Turtles finally killed him again. This seems very much like they were trying random weird stuff in order to capitalize on the character's fame.

In the IDW Comics, Shredder was a feudal Japanese agent in the Foot Clan, and was meant to be a vessel for the resurrection of the goddess Kitsune's father, The Dragon. This corrupted him, making him kill his friend Hamato Yoshi and his four sons- reincarnations of all these men would vex him in modern times. Splinter and the Turtles thus kill the Shredder, and Oroku Saki reconciles with his friend from the afterlife- Splinter ultimately sacrifices his own life to resurrect Saki and prevent the Dragon from using his corpse to reappear. Saki marries Kitsune and becomes a guardian to the Turtles.

The 2003 & 2012 cartoons made Shredder just as menacing, turning him into a fearsome recurring bad guy. The 2003 version was truly bizarre, eventually being revealed as an alien, and then at one point THREE different Shredders were around. Rise of the TMNT used Shredder as a hulking demon- 500 years ago, the Foot Clan leader Oroku Saki made a deal with an Oni for more power, but the magical armor swallowed his soul and corrupted him. The Hamato Clan used "Ninpo" spirit weapons to stop him, as no "mortal weapon" could harm the Shredder. He is reborn when Baron Draxum, the would-be "Big Bad" of the show, is consumed by the armor he wears- the Foot reveal they were using him to fuel the Shredder's rebirth in the armor. Finally, Shredder is defeated by a combination of the Turtles, Karai (here an ancient warrior) and a returned Draxum.

Both movie franchises made use of him as well- the '90s one made Shredder a master manipulator who led an army of teenage pickpockets on a crime spree across New York, and ultimately dies when drinking Mutagen to become the Super Shredder, while the 2014 version sought global control. This one used a guy named Eric Sacks as his subordinate- the movie was initially shot with Sacks' actor as the Shredder, but they changed their minds in editing and re-shot the movie so that he was another character, and made him be part of the Turtles' backstory. This Shredder piloted a mech suit once, and allies with Krang in the second movie before being betrayed and frozen.
Jabroniville

The Shredder (1980s)

Post by Jabroniville »

THE SHREDDER (Oroku Saki)- 1980s Cartoon
Role:
The Big Bad, Martial Arts Master, Scheming Whiner
Played By: James Avery (UNCLE PHIL!!!)
Group Affiliations: The Foot Clan
PL 9 (153)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 6
FIGHTING 12 DEXTERITY 6
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Bodacious Skills:
Acrobatics 6 (+12)
Athletics 7 (+10)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 3 (+15)
Close Combat (Spikes) 2 (+14)
Deception 5 (+7)
Expertise (Ninja) 6 (+12)
Expertise (Science) 6 (+12)
Expertise (Magic) 4 (+10)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Investigation 3 (+6)
Perception 4 (+7)
Sleight of Hand 2 (+8)
Stealth 2 (+8)
Technology 8 (+14)
Vehicles 2 (+8)

Gnarly Advantages:
Accurate Attack, Agile Feint, Assessment, Equipment 2 (Sword, Spikes), Evasion, Fast Grab, Grab Finesse, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Critical (Claws), Improved Initiative, Improved Trip, Inventor, Languages (a few), Quick Draw, Ranged Attack 4, Startle, Takedown, Tracking

Radical Equipment:
"Sword" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Improved Critical, Penetrating 4) (8)
"Spiked Costume" Strength-Damage +1 (Feats: Split) (2)

Righteous Offense:
Unarmed +15 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Spikes +14 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Sword +12 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +10

Awesome Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +14 (DC 24), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +7

Bummer Complications:
Motivation (Power)- Shredders wants nothing more than to rule the world.
Enemy (Splinter, The Turtles)- Shredder despises those meddling mutants, and has hated and been jealous of Hamato "Splinter" Yoshi for decades.
Rivalry (Krang)- Though the two are partners in crime, they bicker on a constant basis.
Rivalry (Rocksteady & Bebop)- Shredder cannot stand his two comrades. One wonders why he tolerates them.
Relationship (Miyoko Saki)- Shredder's mom is just as villainous as her son, and very bossy. He eventually teleports her back to her retirement home on Earth.
Relationship (Kazuo Saki)- Shredder's brother is a police lieutenant in Tokyo, and teamed up with the Turtles to stop one of his bro's schemes.

Total: Abilities: 84 / Skills: 68--34 / Advantages: 22 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 13 (153)

-This is by FAR the least-serious Shredder in the entire history of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. They took a dark, murderous bad guy who died almost right away in the Mirage Comics, and turned him into... well, Skeletor. A whiny, power-hungry schemer, Shredder is great at fighting, but is surrounded by bumbling boobs, weak henchmen, and a partner in crime who insults him every step of the way. He's prone to incredible levels of humiliation- he's been transformed into a baby, tarred & feathered by a female ninja, and more!

-One of the few Asian villains in 1980s television (which often refused to put ANY minorities in the "bad guy" roles, perhaps over-correcting the span of Yellow Peril menaces & black stereotypes of earlier decades), Shredder was a scheming bastard who had his rival Hamato Yoshi thrown out of the Foot Clan, then brought it to New York, where they set up shop robbing people. Eventually, however, he just sort of shifted to World Domination- replacing his army of ninjas with easily-beaten robots. When he was defeated by his old rival and his adopted sons- those meddling Turtles- he went fully into the "Sci-Fi Villain" thing, coming up with more and more outlandish means to take over the globe. Ancient prophecies, magic spells, summoning Chthulhu, science fiction weapons, etc. For TEN SEASONS he did this.

-With him always was Krang. James Avery & Pat Fraley have since admitted that they played their characters as if they were an old married couple, bickering like Frank & Marie Barone instead of criminal collaborators. The two seemed to openly-despise each other, always looking to remove the other from power, and always deriding each other's schemes. And it was PERFECT- not many shows have a Villainous Duo at the helm. And yes, Shredder was voiced by James Avery, aka Uncle Phil of The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, though once he got busy with his new sitcom, he got replaced a lot- FOUR OTHER ACTORS have also played the character in the show- it's really noticeable when you watch the later ones, or the occasional "fill in", as Avery's gravelly voice (a pretty big difference from his standard one, and one I can't imagine was easy to pull off) was hard to mimic.

-Shredder is both a martial arts master (better than any individual Turtle, though on some occasions they have tied him one-on-one) and a genius- he's actually BUILT some of the gear the villains use.

Other Shredder Toys: Slice 'n' Dice Shredder, Super Shredder, Toon Shredder, Mutatin' Shredder, Road Ready, Super Shredder (Chef Boyardee Repaint), Cyber Samurai Shredder, Dimension X Wars Playset (Modular Battleset with Mini-Mutant Shredder Figure!), The Turtle Tenderizin' Combo (Mini-Mutant Module with Turtle Cycle and Mini-Mutant Shredder Figure!), Shogun Shredder, Supermutant Shredder, Tyranno Shredder, Stretch Shredder, Metal Mutant Shredder with Tiger Spirit Armor, Shredder (Next Mutation)
Last edited by Jabroniville on Mon May 10, 2021 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.