Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds (Gideon! Candra! The Zodiac Cartel! Scorpio!)

Post by Jabroniville »

Ian Turner wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:54 am Where did that Zodiac Key come from? It's just an awesome McGuffin level item, like the Cosmic Cube or an Infinity Stone, and yet it just sort of appeared, as far as I can remember...

Ah, and LMDs. Love those guys, particularly the 'Deltas' that attempted to take over SHIELD from within!

And I so love themed jobber teams. I can't believe we haven't had a Tarot/major arcana-themed super-crook jobber organization, with like Grim Reaper and Nekra as Death and the High Priestess, Hellstrom (in one of Heel turns) as the Magician, Tower as Tower (hah), Hangman as the Hanged Man, Madcap as the Fool, etc.
Yeah, that's an excellent idea. I've actually thought of it a bit, especially since Tarot of the Hellions could summon beings represented in those cards, but a lot of them are like the "Six of Swords" or whatever and don't fit the notion quite as well. The 78 individual cards also mean that a bit chunk of the characters would need to be Mooks or something, unfortunately. A similar issue comes up with playing cards (this is why the Royal Flush Gang is all based around Spades instead of all of the cards).
Skavenger

Re: Scorpio (Jake Fury)

Post by Skavenger »

Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:42 pm -Shockingly, after this, and despite being NICK FURY'S BROTHER, Scorpio did not reappear until the "Bendis Era". All the stories involving Nick Fury and dumb S.H.I.E.L.D. stuff and not once had Jake Fury returned... until a Secret Warriors book. They revealed that Jake's turn towards evil was a long-term plan of Nick's, where Jake was duplicated by ancient technology (the basis for the LMD program), and an evil Jake went on to become Scorpio. The real Jake apparently went deep undercover within HYDRA, co-opting an agent named Kraken. There, he helped Nick destroy HYDRA. Well that's stupid. Never mind all the times HYDRA infiltrated S.H.I.E.L.D. from within or was revealed as the originators of it in the first place- all of this was discarded as soon as "HYDRA-Cap" was a thing anyways.
Bendis? Ignoring continuity, character development, and logic to just tell the story he wants to tell at the expense of everybody else's hard work?

Say it ain't so!

Man. I picked up the first trade of the Legion of Superheroes book because, well, the Legion are my jam, and man, that thing is such a massive waste of paper.
Ian Turner

Post by Ian Turner »

Jabroniville wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:23 pm
Ian Turner wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:54 am Where did that Zodiac Key come from? It's just an awesome McGuffin level item, like the Cosmic Cube or an Infinity Stone, and yet it just sort of appeared, as far as I can remember...

Ah, and LMDs. Love those guys, particularly the 'Deltas' that attempted to take over SHIELD from within!

And I so love themed jobber teams. I can't believe we haven't had a Tarot/major arcana-themed super-crook jobber organization, with like Grim Reaper and Nekra as Death and the High Priestess, Hellstrom (in one of Heel turns) as the Magician, Tower as Tower (hah), Hangman as the Hanged Man, Madcap as the Fool, etc.
Yeah, that's an excellent idea. I've actually thought of it a bit, especially since Tarot of the Hellions could summon beings represented in those cards, but a lot of them are like the "Six of Swords" or whatever and don't fit the notion quite as well. The 78 individual cards also mean that a bit chunk of the characters would need to be Mooks or something, unfortunately. A similar issue comes up with playing cards (this is why the Royal Flush Gang is all based around Spades instead of all of the cards).
Oh yeah, I'd go with just the 22 Major arcana having super-villains as their name-sakes, and the other X of Y cards being mooks with appropriate gear (swords for the swords, 'staves' that shoot stuff for the wands, pentacle-shaped shields/throwing disks, etc.) Heck, the mooks could even be LMDs! (To explain why the dozen X of Swords peeps are all good swords-peeps, and the Tarot organization didn't have to travel the world recruiting the world's top sword-fighters to fill those ranks!)

The Villains & Vigilantes game had an organization like this, but assigning the major arcana roles to actual Marvel supervillains (that however loosely fit the theme) I think neatly takes it in a new enough direction to not be too obviously poaching this forty-something year old RPG. :)
Skavenger wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:23 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:42 pm -Shockingly, after this, and despite being NICK FURY'S BROTHER, Scorpio did not reappear until the "Bendis Era". All the stories involving Nick Fury and dumb S.H.I.E.L.D. stuff and not once had Jake Fury returned... until a Secret Warriors book. They revealed that Jake's turn towards evil was a long-term plan of Nick's, where Jake was duplicated by ancient technology (the basis for the LMD program), and an evil Jake went on to become Scorpio. The real Jake apparently went deep undercover within HYDRA, co-opting an agent named Kraken. There, he helped Nick destroy HYDRA. Well that's stupid. Never mind all the times HYDRA infiltrated S.H.I.E.L.D. from within or was revealed as the originators of it in the first place- all of this was discarded as soon as "HYDRA-Cap" was a thing anyways.
Bendis? Ignoring continuity, character development, and logic to just tell the story he wants to tell at the expense of everybody else's hard work?

Say it ain't so!

Man. I picked up the first trade of the Legion of Superheroes book because, well, the Legion are my jam, and man, that thing is such a massive waste of paper.
Man, I liked Mikel Fury and his entire squad from Secret Warriors, *so* much more than the one's that survived... I really wanted to know more about Carlos Ayala, the telekinetic, the Monroe twins (kids of Flashback), and the Mace of Aesha chick!

And I hate that you are right about the Bendis Legion being a waste of paper. I want to fight you because I love the Legion, but dayum, it was bad and I can't even disagree...
Jabroniville

Scorpio (Ecliptic Zodiac)

Post by Jabroniville »

SCORPIO IV (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Steve Seagle & Scott Clark
First Appearance: Alpha Flight #1 (Aug. 1997)
Role: Team Leader
Group Affiliations: The Zodiac
PL 9 (64)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+7)
Athletics 4 (+7)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Criminal) 5 (+6)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 5 (+7)
Perception 5 (+7)
Persuasion 2 (+4)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Equipment 4 (Teleportation Device), Fast Grab, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8

Powers:
"Scorpio Costume" (Flaws: Removable) [17]
"Stinger" Strength-Damage +4 (Feats: Reach) Linked to Weaken Stamina 5 (Reach) (Extras: Progressive +2) (21 points)

"Zodiac Key-Lookin' Thingie" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [12]
Blast 10 (20 points)

Equipment:
Teleport 10 (20)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Stinger +10 (+7 Damage & +5 Weaken, DC 22 & 15)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +9 (DC 19), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +7, Will +4

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Relationship (Virgo)

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 16 / Powers: 29 / Defenses: 10 (127)

-Scorpio was the leader of his incarnation of Zodiac, which means he's the least-crappy member of his entire team- a massive PL 9! He never actually USED the giant tail on his butt for some reason, but let's just assume it's poisonous- his other buddies got Animal-themed powers, so why not him?
Jabroniville

Scorpio (The Filler One)

Post by Jabroniville »

SCORPIO V (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Geoff Johns & Kieron Dwyer
First Appearance: The Avengers #58 (Nov. 2002)
Role: Team Leader

-So yes, there was a FIFTH Scorpio- this one being a random surgeon who felt that he was irrelevant to the universe- his desire to "matter" was felt by the Zodiac Key, which transformed him into the new Scorpio. He learns that the last century "unraveled incorrectly" and desires to ensure the modern one is carried out properly. He used the Key to split the In-Betweener into his "order" & "chaos" selves, then sent several of Earth's cities to the Ankh Dimension. The Avengers, sent there by the "order" self, managed to unite the In-Betweener's two halves, chasing Scorpio away. He is last seen meeting with his mysterious "Zodiac" organization, promising to attack as one next time. Aaaaaaaaaand then Geoff Johns leaves Marvel for DC and the character is completely ignored.

-Five years later, this Scorpio shows up with a NEW Zodiac, and the former is not mentioned again. They fight the New Warriors (this being the "De-Powered Mutants in New Gear" version) for a two-issue arc right at the beginning, and he's jobbed out easily (this is a guy who could separate Cosmic Beings with his weapon in his debut, mind you). He and his new Zodiac are easily slain by the new "One-Man Zodiac" who... simply wanted to free up the name. Yeah, THAT'S the ignominity thrown towards this guy.
Jabroniville

Virgo (Constellation)

Post by Jabroniville »

VIRGO
Stereotypes:
Neurotic, Perfectionist, Sensitive, Self-Righteous, Confusing Smart-Ass

-Because of the name, Virgos are usually depicted as attractive women, though not particularly on the younger or girlish side- they’re just standard hot chicks. It’s by far the hardest name in the group to use for powers, so they’re generally not even remotely imaginative.
Davies

Re: Virgo (Constellation)

Post by Davies »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:15 am
Stereotypes:[/b] Neurotic, Perfectionist, Sensitive, Self-Righteous, Confusing Smart-Ass
Yyyyyep. Especially that last one. :oops:

(However, astrology is nonsense, so.)
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Virgo (Elaine McLaughlin)

Post by Jabroniville »

Exactly how DOES fabric cling like that?

VIRGO I (Elaine McLaughlin)
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Sal Buscema
First Appearance: The Avengers #72 (Jan. 1970)
Role: Fursuiter, Jobber Villain
Group Affiliations: The Zodiac Cartel
PL 6 (97)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Close Attack (Unarmed) 2 (+11)
Deception 5 (+8)
Expertise (Business) 6 (+8)
Expertise (Crime Boss) 6 (+8)
Insight 4 (+6)
Intimidation 2 (+5)
Investigation 5 (+7)
Perception 4 (+6)
Persuasion 3 (+5)
Vehicles 3 (+5)

Advantages:
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Benefit 2 (Wealth), Defensive Roll, Equipment 2 (Lasers, Others), Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Trip, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 5, Set-Up, Taunt, Teamwork

Equipment:
"Laser Blaster" Blast 5 (10)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Laser Blaster +7 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +5

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +3 (+4 Costume), Fortitude +4, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed & Power)- Already greedy, Virgo also wishes global dominance.

Total: Abilities: 50 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 18 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (97)

-Virgo was sadly created far too early to provide any funny jokes about "virgins" and what-not, so she was pretty much stuck being a goofy-looking girl in a yellow outfit and a domino mask that kicked and punched people. One of the "we didn't really think about that one" characters who had no powers, she was just a melee fighter. Though it is kind of hard to figure out how to apply "virginity" to a super-power, unless you go with what Stargirl had in JSA, what with Ghosts being unable to touch her pure body. In the comics, Virgo was a backgrounder doing nothing of importance, but KO'd the Scarlet Witch during Englehart's run. She died with the original team, slaughtered by LMDs.

-Virgo's a PL 6 melee fighter, just like Aquarius, but slightly more skilled. A bit weaker, though. She's apparently knocked out the Scarlet Witch once, but that's no feat in and of itself, as Wanda DEFINES Glass Cannon.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Since 'innocence' doesn't fit a crime boss, I'd have a Virgo-based character able to bestow 'youth' on people temporarily, which has addictive properties and is largely a hallucination. This is hard to build in M&M, though; probably a Linked Limited Illusion and Will Affliction that causes people to act like they're young. For a non-powered version, have it be a drug that she has manufactured.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
Jabroniville

Virgo (LMD)

Post by Jabroniville »

VIRGO II (Life Model Decoy)
Created By:
David Kraft & Keith Giffen
First Appearance: The Defenders #49 (July 1977)
Role: Animalistic Guy
PL 9 (100)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA -- AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Deception 2 (+6, +8 Attractive)
Investigation 3 (+4)
Perception 4 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+6, +8 Attractive)
Insight 4 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Attractive, Ranged Attack 6, Set-Up, Teamwork

Powers:
"Life Model Decoy"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 4 [4]

"Siphoning Device" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [15]
Affliction 12 (Toughness; Dazed & Impaired/Stunned & Disabled/Transformed to Powerless) (Extras: Affects Objects Only +0, Extra Condition, Continuous +3) (Flaws: Limited to One Target -2, Instant Recovery) (24 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Siphoning Device +6 (+12 Affliction, DC 22)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +5, Fortitude --, Will +2

Complications:
Motivation (Power)- The LMD Zodiacs are goons, plain and simple.
Vulnerable (Magnetic Attacks)- As LMDs, the Zodiac are made of metal, and are prone to magnetic assault.
Weakness (Outside Their Dimension)- The LMDs will shut down without access to Zodiacal Energy from our dimension- inter-dimensional travel will shut most of them down.
Responsibility (Zodiac Nature)- The LMD Zodiacs were extremely focused onto their particular sign's habits and nature. This made Virgo very flighty and self-important.

Total: Abilities: 24 / Skills: 22--11 / Advantages: 9 / Powers: 49 / Defenses: 7 (100)

-The LMD Virgo was a more dangerous enemy (the first was "Stillborn"- created to be the lover of Scorpio, he was so dejected by her death that he took his own life and was reborn as an LMD!), with a Siphoning Device that could drain someone as powerful as Iron Man at will (though other people could take it right off of him- hence the Instant Recovery, Continuous & Easily Removable bits). She was limited otherwise, but had an interesting characterization, in that she was kind of a flirty bimbo who seduced people, and was obsessed with money.
Jabroniville

Virgo (Ecliptic Zodiac)

Post by Jabroniville »

OK, I know the "No Waist" thing was a hallmark of crappy '90s art, but WHAT THE FRICK??? You can't even blame this on a half-assed panel or anything- it CONSISTENTLY looks like this!

VIRGO III (Real Name Unknown)
Created By:
Steve Seagle & Scott Clark
First Appearance: Alpha Flight #1 (Aug. 1997)
Role: Team Pilot
PL 6 (80)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 3 (+6)
Athletics 4 (+5)
Deception 4 (+6)
Expertise (Criminal) 4 (+5)
Insight 3 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+4)
Perception 4 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Technology 2 (+3)
Vehicles 4 (+7)

Advantages:
Benefit (Ambidexterity), Equipment 6 (Teleportation Device, Guns), Improved Critical (Guns), Power Attack, Ranged Attack 4

Teleport 10 (20)
"Pistol/Arrows" Blast 5 (10)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 17)
Pistols & Arrows +7 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +2, Fortitude +4, Will +3

Complications:
Motivation (Greed)
Relationship (Scorpio)

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 32--16 / Advantages: 13 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 9 (80)

-Virgo was basically a "Team Pilot" character who did little to really help out in fights, since all she had was Guns & Arrows and stuff.
Post-Human Resources

Post by Post-Human Resources »

Yeeeeah. There's a reason the 90s are known as the worst era of comics. I just wish people would learn from that, and not keep on trying to bring back the worst aspects of that era's art and writing.

I'm talking to *you*, Marvel! With your repeated attempts to make Civil War/Civil War 2/Captain America: Civil War! Stop it!
Jabroniville

Taurus (Astrological Symbol)

Post by Jabroniville »

TAURUS
Stereotypes:
Loyal, Patient, Possessive, Stubborn, Jealous, Man's Man, Homebody

-Taurus is one of the easiest Zodiac members to make super-villainish, given the associations with strength and horns. Only the first one has ever really mattered, though- the others were junk and filler.
Jabroniville

Taurus (Cornelius Van Lunt)

Post by Jabroniville »

... some costumes translate better to real-life than others.

TAURUS I (Cornelius Van Lunt)
Created By:
Roy Thomas & Sal Buscema
First Appearance: The Avengers #72 (Jan. 1970)
Role: The Leader, Fursuiter
PL 9 (138)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Deception 6 (+10)
Expertise (Business) 6 (+10)
Expertise (Crime Boss) 7 (+11)
Expertise (Astrology) 8 (+12)
Insight 5 (+8)
Intimidation 4 (+8)
Investigation 5 (+8)
Perception 3 (+7)
Persuasion 4 (+8)
Technology 2 (+6)
Vehicles 8 (+8) -- (Flaws: Limited to Ground Vehicles)

Advantages:
All-Out Attack, Benefit 4 (Wealth), Improved Critical (Horns), Improved Initiative, Leadership, Power Attack, Ranged Attack 8, Set-Up, Teamwork, Ultimate Astrology Skill

Powers:
"Taurus Costume" (Flaws: Removable) [8]
"Horns" Strength-Damage +3 (Feats: Penetrating 4) (7)
Protection 2 (2)
-- (9 points)

"The Star-Blazer" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [12]
Blast 10 (20 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Horns +10 (+6 Damage, DC 21)
Star-Blazer +8 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Initiative +6

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4 (+6 Costume), Fortitude +7, Will +5

Complications:
Motivation (Greed & Power)- Already greedy, Cornelius also wishes global dominance.
Enemy (The LMD Zodiacs)- As the Zodiac leader, Cornelius is the biggest target of the Life Model Decoys.

Total: Abilities: 60 / Skills: 54--26 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 20 / Defenses: 11 (138)

-Taurus was pretty much the most important character from the Zodiac Cartel, leading the team after the seeming deaths of their founder (Scorpio) and the first Aries, disguising himself in his Taurus outfit so nobody would know it was him, and leading most of their missions. All this, while wearing a big fuzzy mascot outfit that looks more cute than threatening (unless you fear Furpiles, that is...). A curious amount of backstory has since popped up, even well after his demise- he was a real estate magnate who amassed a fortune under the guidance of his personal astrologer, and eventually became a full criminal. He had also worked in the "Great Wheel of the Zodiac" under Leonardo da Vinci (as "Aries") back in the 1960s (da Vince has become a time traveller in Marvel canon, doncha know). But back in the sixties he was just a fursuiter. Thing that always bugged me about masked guys like him in the comics was... how in the HELL did his mask have FACIAL EXPRESSIONS? When he gets mad, the Bull head gets all wide-eyed, and when he talks, the mouth moves! What the hell kind of Fursuit is THAT advanced!?

-He was pretty much the top dog, forming the Zodiac with intentions to control the world via crime. As Van Lunt, he also acted as a corrupt real estate jerk, once making the Avengers perform small tasks for his company to pay off a debt to his company (Tony Stark owed him rent, basically), and killing the family of Red Wolf- he seemingly died falling off of a dam while fighting the hero. During those stories, it wasn't known that he was Taurus- Steve Englehart combined the two characters into one four years later. The rest of the Cartel planned on taking control of it from him, but he convinced them to rejoin, saying they'd go to jail if they didn't. Nonetheless, the whole team was arrested, save Libra.

-The character does not appear for ten years, until an Iron Man story has him running afoul of the Maggia and hiring Iron Man to defend him. Three years later, his final story takes place- in The West Coast Avengers book, he holds a Zodiac meeting, and the team is assaulted by the Life Model Decoy version of the team, who slaughters every member of the team but Cornelius, who escapes with his life. He promises the Avengers to go straight if they save him, and sends them after the new Zodiac team before escaping and trying to start a NEW Zodiac gang. However, a vengeful Moon Knight hunts him down, and there's a dramatic fight on an airplane- he boots Moon Knight out, but the hero grabs the wing, sending the plane into a tailspin- Taurus cripples the plane trying to shake him off, and dies in a tailspin as the hero flies away on a hanglider made from his cape.

-Taurus is much better than most of these other losers thanks to the Star-Blazer, a super-powered gun that could even stun THOR if necessary. That alone boosts him to a PL 9, where normally he'd be a weak PL 8 with his Horns (which really aren't a good idea on people-shaped individuals... they work on animals because the animal's head faces FORWARD, meaning that the horns are easy to aim. A human being has to actually bend down and awkwardly use the head to nail somebody with Head-Spikes) and Toughness. He's not much, but he was able to nearly finish off 1980s-era Moon Knight in the "WC Avengers" story (however, Specter quickly recovered and started trouncing him). He's also the smartest and best businessman of the group, ahead of everyone but Jake "Scorpio" Fury.
Skavenger

Re: Taurus (Cornelius Van Lunt)

Post by Skavenger »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:39 pm -Taurus was pretty much the most important character from the Zodiac Cartel, leading the team after the seeming deaths of their founder (Scorpio) and the first Aries, disguising himself in his Taurus outfit so nobody would know it was him, and leading most of their missions. All this, while wearing a big fuzzy mascot outfit that looks more cute than threatening (unless you fear Furpiles, that is...). A curious amount of backstory has since popped up, even well after his demise- he was a real estate magnate who amassed a fortune under the guidance of his personal astrologer, and eventually became a full criminal. He had also worked in the "Great Wheel of the Zodiac" under Leonardo da Vinci (as "Aries") back in the 1960s (da Vince has become a time traveller in Marvel canon, doncha know). But back in the sixties he was just a fursuiter. Thing that always bugged me about masked guys like him in the comics was... how in the HELL did his mask have FACIAL EXPRESSIONS? When he gets mad, the Bull head gets all wide-eyed, and when he talks, the mouth moves! What the hell kind of Fursuit is THAT advanced!?
I mean, if you're going to be bothered by masks having expressions, Spider-Man and Deadpool are going to drive you nuts with how reactive their masks are.