Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Jabroniville

Kate Bishop

Post by Jabroniville »

KATE BISHOP (Katherine Bishop, aka Hawkeye III)
Created By:
Allan Heinberg & Jim Cheung
First Appearance: Young Avengers #1 (April 2005)
Role: Rich Brat, Legacy Character
Group Affiliations: The Young Avengers
PL 8 (119)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 5
FIGHTING 10 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 1 AWARENESS 1 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 7 (+11)
Athletics 5 (+7)
Deception 3 (+5)
Expertise (Streetwise) 2 (+3)
Insight 2 (+3)
Investigation 3 (+4)
Perception 2 (+3)
Ranged Attack (Bow) +2 (+12)

Advantages:
Equipment 2 (Sword +3, Batons +1- Split), Defensive Roll, Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Bow & Arrow), Precise Attack (Ranged/Concealment), Ranged Attack 5

Powers:
"Archer's Bow" (Flaws: Easily Removable) [27]
"Tear Gas Arrow" Affliction 8 (Fort; Dazed & Vision Impaired/Stunned & Disabled/Incapacitated & Unaware) (Extras: Extra Condition, Ranged, Area- 30ft. Burst) (32) -- (45 points)
  • AE: "Standard Arrow" Blast 5 (Extras: Multiattack) (15)
  • AE: "Titanium Arrow" Blast 5 (Extras: Penetrating 5) (15)
  • AE: "Bolo Arrow" Snare 7 (Inaccurate -1) (20)
  • AE: "Boomerang Arrow" Blast 5 (Feats: Split 2, Homing, Ricochet 2) (15)
  • AE: "Explosive Arrow" Blast 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (27)
  • AE: "Sonic Arrow" Dazzle Hearing 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (27)
  • AE: "Flash Arrow" Dazzle Visuals 9 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (27)
  • AE: "Gas Arrow" Sleep 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Burst) (24)
  • AE: "Smoke Arrow" Obscure Visuals 2 (Extras: Attack, Area- 30ft. Burst) (12)
  • AE: "Taser Arrow" Affliction 7 (Strength; Dazed/Stunned/Incapacitated) (Extras: Ranged) (Inaccurate -1) (13)
  • AE: "Acid Arrow" Blast 5 Linked to Weaken Toughness 7 (Extras: Ranged, Affects Objects) (Inaccurate -1) (30)
  • AE: "E.M.P. Arrow" Nullify Technology 5 (Extras: Sustained +2) (20)
  • AE: "Cable Arrow" Movement 1 (Swinging) (2)
Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Batons +10 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Sword +10 (+5 Damage, DC 20)
Standard & Boomerang Arrows +11 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Dazzle & Gas Arrows +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Tear Gas Arrow +8 Area (+8 Affliction, DC 18)
Taser & Bolo Arrows +9 (+7 Ranged Affliction, DC 17)
Acid Arrow +9 (+5 Ranged Damage & +7 Ranged Weaken, DC 19 & 17)
Initiative +9

Defenses:
Dodge +11 (DC 21), Parry +11 (DC 21), Toughness +2 (+3 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +5

Complications:
Relationship (Clint Barton)- Kate took on Hawkeye's name while he was dead, and he let her keep it when he returned. She finds him exasperating and annoying, and frequently makes fun of him, yet is frustrated when he states matter-of-factly that he only gets along with her because he doesn't want to sleep with her.
Power Loss (Skills & Toughness)- In Hawkeye's most-recent series, Kate is like PL 7 and totally gets One-Punch-KO'd on a daily basis. It's the most Street Level thing ever.

Total: Abilities: 54 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 27 / Defenses: 14 (119)

Kate Bishop- Young Avenger:
-Kate Bishop is a neat part of the most-recent Hawkeye series- a smart-assed rich brat, she frequently makes fun of Clint for being short-sighted, foolish and immature, yet has basically taken him on as a weird sort of mentor while she babysits him. She made her debut when The Young Avengers roped her into one of their fights, and of course it turns out she's a great fighter and amazing with a bow. She acts above-it-all and frequently lectures others on their behavior (it's a given that Clint Barton needs this frequently), which makes her by far the most realistic teenage girl character in comics.

-Kate Bishop met the Young Avengers by being rescued by them, demonstrating great skills in that adventure (this was later explained by her being traumatized after an attack in Central Park, and using that to focus on self-defense training). Naturally, she decided to join the team- dressing up as a combo of Hawkeye, Mockingbird, Black Widow & Swordsman, which fit the team's "Sorta Like Avengers Legacies, Kinda" concept. Since "wandering up to superheroes while dressed like a superhero" is one of the time-honored methods of joining a superhero team, sure enough, Kate was an Avenger. Along the way, she befriended Stature and had a classic "Adversarial Coupling" relationship with Patriot, as they frequently tried to one-up and argue with each other and insist they're NOT together, which makes everyone immediately think that they will be. At this point, she was still "Kate Bishop" (which is part of why nobody ever uses her codename in the comics fandom).

-Eventually, the team was told to split up once more, but Kate stood up to Captain America, suggesting that if he'd accepted them and trained them, then the injured Patriot might have been spared that pain. Impressed, Jessica Jones gave him the original Hawkeye's bow & arrows, noting that the only other person to back-talk Cap like THAT was Clint Barton. Kate thus became the new "Hawkeye" (Clint was before this time, because Avengers Disassembled was dumb, and was at this time still thought-dead by most) and acted as an unregistered hero following Civil War. Quickly, however, she & Patriot meet Clint in a Cap disguise, and Kate's words of defiance (that she took on the title to honor the original Hawkeye) shame him into quitting Tony Stark's side and going his own path.

-The "Kate/Patriot" 'ship is immediately sunk in another story drawn by Alan Davis, and Kate meets up with Clint-As-Ronin, who defeats her in an archery contest using a basic, inferior bow, warning her to "always take the shot" (damn- just a decade later and that would be "don't throw away your shot"). Kate is shamed and gives up the "Hawkeye" name, even while Clint advocates for the Young Avengers to the other Secret Avengers, and when he spots her spying on them, he's impressed enough to insist she share his name. Along the way, she & Patriot have a few more teases, as Kate wants him to give her more time, but eventually that whole matter is dropped (as is Patriot, argely).

Kate Bishop in Hawkeye:
-Kate thus becomes a supporting character in Matt Fraction's legendary and respected Comedy Series Hawkeye, acting as a bit of a pain in the ass to Clint, whose concept is now "good hero whose home life is completely F'd up". Poor Clint just can't buy a win at this point (dealing with the hapless Tracksuit Mafia, weirdo villains, and a new girlfriend with a criminal backstory), and Kate is constantly admonishing him and annoying him. However, they pull a line here or there that indicates something more- when Clint suggests they have a good relationship because "I don't want to sleep with you", Kate acts like "well good", her self-narration ("dummy") makes it clear to me that she was interested and is kind of annoyed he doesn't see her that way.

-Kate in the series can be as hapless as Clint is (once being defeated by common grocery store thieves- a big part of Fraction's book was uncostumed heroes getting embarrassed or troubled by basic stuff- Clint got it MUCH worse), and also has to deal with the menacing Madame Masque, who has a bone to pick with her over a stolen identity. She learns that her father was implicated in Masque's criminal empire when, after a blow-up with Clint, she moves to L.A. and fights crime there, and finally rescues Clint in a triumphant moment, helping him defeat a hitman. The best part ever is when she says "You okay, Hawkeye?" and he responds "Yeah, Hawkeye".

-Subsequent books have not really done much with Kate, though elaborated upon her backstory, her criminal father, and her status with Clint- she is blamed when he publicly executes the Hulk, and attempts to be her own person. From what I can tell, she's actually shown up in a few other relationships, particularly Protector (the former Marvel Boy III), as she's one of those single characters who writers just LOVE to pair up with someone else they want to write. But honestly, I'm a big fan of Kate- her being a giant pain in the ass and a strong-willed lecturer is fun, and they never make her out to be "always right" or cheat to make her more likeable- other character are as likely to call her a pain in the ass as they are to be impressed. Based off of her role in Hawkeye, she'd make a great sidekick character in just about any book, but it seems like she hasn't been "a thing" in a while.

Kate's Capabilities:
-Kate is basically Mini-Hawkeye, doing quite well for herself sometimes, but generally being very fragile. She gets KO'd ALL THE TIME in the new Hawkeye book, but then, so does Clint. She has Hawkeye's Bow & Arrow, but I don't think she uses as many of the fancy bits. I left most of them in there, just in case. She helped the team against Kang the Conqueror, and later had her father's company's warehouse used as their base wehn the elder Avengers told them to split up.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ares
Site Admin

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Wiccan! Hulkling! Iron Lad! Patriot II!)

Post by Ares »

I'm rather meh on Kate Bishop myself. She doesn't really appeal to me, but I don't think the character herself is especially bad. The whole "lectures others on their faults" thing makes for good team conflict, but I tend to think of characters as people I would or wouldn't want to be around, and I would not be able to stand someone like Kate. She's like Lisa Simpson with a bow and arrow.

My issue is more of what her presence has done to Clint. Before he died, Hawkeye was considered a badass. He was cocky, devil-may-care, clever, pulled wins out by seat-of-his-pants planning, could be something of a con man at times, but genuinely admired guys like Steve Rogers, who he tried to model himself after when it came to leadership. He would still butt heads with Steve frequently, but it was clear that Clint had immense respect for him. Hawkeye was someone who had led multiple superhero teams, and was about as solid a second tier hero as you could find.

Now, Hawkeye's basically a joke. He's a loser. He goes around in his Ultimates outfit talking about how his life is one big screw up, and it's sad and depressing. And part of it feels like they've torn Clint down so that he doesn't completely overshadow Kate. It's especially bad when they went around saying that Kate was "The REAL Hawkeye".

No. No no a thousand times, NO. Give Kate her own identity if you want, keep her around as someone who is a bossy, snarky person who criticizes other, but let's have the REAL Hawkeye back, in full costume, and dump this college slacker pretending to be Clint back in whatever frat house he crawled out of.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

And that does it for the Young Avengers builds! Temporary characters like Protector/Marvel Boy and Miss America will be re-built at a later time- probably during a big "Avengers" set. These guys are also the last sort of link to the "Scarlet Witch" set, which sprang off of the Hank Pym set, so we're just about done... now there's just the "Young Masters", which I figured I'd re-post following their rival squad.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:04 am And that does it for the Young Avengers builds! Temporary characters like Protector/Marvel Boy and Miss America will be re-built at a later time- probably during a big "Avengers" set. These guys are also the last sort of link to the "Scarlet Witch" set, which sprang off of the Hank Pym set, so we're just about done... now there's just the "Young Masters", which I figured I'd re-post following their rival squad.
Speaking of that specific Miss America..huh, it doesn't seem like you've built her before.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Ares wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:57 am I'm rather meh on Kate Bishop myself. She doesn't really appeal to me, but I don't think the character herself is especially bad. The whole "lectures others on their faults" thing makes for good team conflict, but I tend to think of characters as people I would or wouldn't want to be around, and I would not be able to stand someone like Kate. She's like Lisa Simpson with a bow and arrow.

My issue is more of what her presence has done to Clint. Before he died, Hawkeye was considered a badass. He was cocky, devil-may-care, clever, pulled wins out by seat-of-his-pants planning, could be something of a con man at times, but genuinely admired guys like Steve Rogers, who he tried to model himself after when it came to leadership. He would still butt heads with Steve frequently, but it was clear that Clint had immense respect for him. Hawkeye was someone who had led multiple superhero teams, and was about as solid a second tier hero as you could find.

Now, Hawkeye's basically a joke. He's a loser. He goes around in his Ultimates outfit talking about how his life is one big screw up, and it's sad and depressing. And part of it feels like they've torn Clint down so that he doesn't completely overshadow Kate. It's especially bad when they went around saying that Kate was "The REAL Hawkeye".

No. No no a thousand times, NO. Give Kate her own identity if you want, keep her around as someone who is a bossy, snarky person who criticizes other, but let's have the REAL Hawkeye back, in full costume, and dump this college slacker pretending to be Clint back in whatever frat house he crawled out of.
See, I don't really blame Kate for any of that- "Hawkeye as screw-up" seems brought out of the Ronin-era Bendis stuff, then piled upon by Matt Fraction, who, to be fair, was using the "his wife was divorcing him and then came back after being thought dead as a Skrull" era. Hawkeye Across America or whatever they did... I never read it.

And the "REAL Hawkeye" thing seems to be just an artifact of the weird Miss America series. I never saw Marvel pushing that elsewhere (Clint got the bigger solo book; not Kate).
Jabroniville

The Young Masters

Post by Jabroniville »

You'll NEVER guess my favorite!

THE YOUNG MASTERS
Created By:
Paul Cornell & Mark Brooks
First Appearance: Dark Reign: Young Avengers #1 (July 2009)
Role: Evil Counterparts (to The Young Avengers)

-This group debuted in the Dark Reign Limited Series given to the Young Avengers- they were the children of super-villains, and controlled by Norman Osborn. They declare themselves the NEW Young Avengers, but the YAs arrive, quite annoyed by this. The heroes suggest that they can recruit some of them, but when they decide to include only a FEW members, it turns into a standard superhero fight. The Young Avengers end up defeating both the Young Masters AND the Dark Avengers (who do a hell of a lot of Jobbing for an elite villain group, really) after their Enchantress turns against the Dark teams and helps Wiccan remove the Sentry from the battlefield. The characters thus call themselves the "Young Masters" instead, inspired by the Masters of Evil- counterparts to the Avengers. The group is described as being themed around The Melter's genuine attempts to become a legitimate superhero, contrasting the lunacy of his teammates- Executioner is a Punisher-style ruthless vigilante, Big Zero is a racist, and Egghead is just nutso.

-The team lays low (ie. nobody is writing them), but then suddenly pop up as an easy-to-beat group of Jobber Villains in multiple books: They return with only Executioner & Egghead, alongside some new members in tow, trying to kill older super-villains on behalf of the villain Zodiac- no explanation is given for the absence of the other members until the end (Zodiac just says he only needed one of them). Big Zero, Enchantress II & Coat of Arms show up in Avengers Academy and ally with Jeremy Briggs in his attempts to de-power every superhuman on Earth (to give them to those "more deserving", apparently), and fight the Academy kids. Many of them show up AGAIN in Avengers Undercover, with another shaken-up roster as part of the Shadow Council's new Masters of Evil in the rogue nation of Bagalia- the original crew minus Big Zero and plus Mako. Three new members later show up (including prior creation Excavator, of the Wrecking Crew). Finally, they are joined by Death Locket and Alex Wilder, as the group continues to recruit new members.

-In general, this squad of kids appears to be little more than a random team of Jobbers; one that various writers tend to reshuffle and bring out into various team books (Enchantress II shows up in The Fearless Defenders, for example). In this sense, they're almost the new version of the Wrecking Crew- they come out, they look different, and they job, and you don't have to do much work giving them personalities. Their relatively weak backstories makes them a lot easier to write than most other characters.

The Roster:
The Melter II- Team Leader
Enchantress II- Melter's girlfriend. Asgardian Sorceress.
The Executioner II – Vigilante with no powers- the son of Princess Python.
Big Zero– A Neo-Nazi Size-Shifter. Dating Egghead.
Coat of Arms – Swordswoman with Six Arms. Thanks to a coat.
Egghead – A robot who wants to understand humanity.

Later Recruits:
Alex Wilder- A former member of the Runaways; resurrected by Daimon Hellstrom.
Black Knight V- A female incarnation of the Black Knight. Deserts the team, but later returns.
Excavator- The son of Piledriver of the Wrecking Crew, having been embarrassed by Molly Hayes in The Runaways.
Mako- A test tube Atlantean- grown from the cells of Attuma, Orka, Tyrak, and U-Man. Killed by Lady Bullseye, but turned up alive in Avengers Academy.
Mudbug- Crayfish-Man Mutant from the Hellfire Academy.
Radioactive Kid- Melts people.
Snot- He... generates snot.

-Some can barely be statted- too little exists on them. Mako in particular seems to have been created solely because somebody would then be expendable for the storyline... he showed up in another book anyways.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Quicksilver! Salem's Seven! Wiccan!)

Post by Jabroniville »

greycrusader wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:10 pm
saint_matthew wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:29 am
greycrusader wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:26 am Kang is also Rama-Tut (an early Spider-Man villain), the Scarlet Centurion (never really explained, apparently either a "branching timeline" version created by a paradox AND/OR an interim identity between Kang and Immortus)
At least when The Scarlet Centurion isn't his son, who actually turns out to be a clone, maybe a clone of Kang himself.

In fact it gets even more complicated then that.

So in Avengers Annual 2 (from 1967) Kang as the Scarlet Centurion put the Avengers versus the Avengers, creating a new divergent timeline called Earth 689. When the Avengers banished him from Earth 689 they accidentally created a temporal divergence, to Earth 712, the Earth of the Squadron Supreme.

So the Squadron Supreme Scarlet Centurion is actually a version of the true Kang of Earth 616.... Except you know, successful.
I actually mis-remembered about Rama-Tut; he's an early Fantastic Four villain, though Kang's second appearance pitted Spider-Man against Kang, some silliness with the time-traveler using a robot duplicate to fool the Avengers into battling the web-slinger, And there was a "What If" story which showed there was at least one more divergent timeline involving the Scarlet Centurion succeeding in his original foray, and Avengers Forever (actually a pretty kick-ass series) ended with Immortus "diverging" from Kang, so the 616 version doesn't end up becoming the Lord of Limbo...

This is why time travel should just be a plot device used to take heroes into exotic future or past locales, or be an "origin story" of sorts. Once all these silly divergences and paradoxes are allowed, everything just gets to be a mess, really quickly. It doesn't help that writers (comic book and otherwise) use it in all kinds of ridiculous ways-there was absolute mess of a Avengers arc recently where Kang and his minions had weapons that "stole the future" of living beings-some of his lackeys used these weapons on an alien world on a tribe of primates, ensuring they wouldn't evolve into sapient species of scientists and artists and would just remain apes. Because, y'know, that's totally how evolution works. And "stopping" evolution lets you "mine temporal energy".

All my best.
Yeah, that Kang arc damn near got me to drop Waid's Avengers, which was incredibly hit or miss. Seeing Vision go potentially evil again, act shittily to the kids, then Wasp act shittily towards Spider-Man, then some Waid preaching, then some nonsense arcs like that one... I repeatedly made plans to drop it, but then one random issue (like Vision & Herc discussing their immortality) would be great and I'd stick with it.
Jabroniville

The Melter (Colchiss)

Post by Jabroniville »

THE MELTER II (Christopher Colchiss)
Created By:
Role: Legacy Villain
Group Affiliations: The Young Masters, The Masters of Evil
PL 9 (110)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Deception 2 (+5)
Persuasion 2 (+5)
Ranged Combat (Melting) 2 (+7)

Advantages:
Equipment (Suit +2), Ranged Attack 2, Startle

Powers:
"Melts With His Mind" Weaken Toughness 10 (Extras: Ranged, Affects Objects) Linked to Blast 8 [46]
"Melts Bullets" Immunity 5 (Ballistics) (Flaws: Sustained +0) [5]

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Melting +7 (+8 Ranged Damage & +10 Ranged Toughness, DC 23 & 20)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Complications:
Relationship (Enchantress II)
Responsibility (Wants To Be A Hero)- Christopher wishes to be a superhero, but kind of sucks at the whole "doing good" thing.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 51 / Defenses: 12 (110)

-The second Melter leads The Young Masters, and is probably the "nicest" of them- the deaths he's caused are all accidents, and he's motivated in his attempts to be a hero. He in fact killed his own parents when he was young, and later accidentally "melted" an old lady for macing him (she thought he was a mugger). His attempts at heroism never worked out right, and he was unsure on how to proceed- it didn't help that he realized most of his teammates were crazy. He was later hired by The Mandarin & Ezekiel Stane to take down Iron Man, and was later seen as an inmate on Pleasant Hill, and on the Shadow Council's Young Masters squad, with the rest of his teammates.

-Melter II is pretty well your everyday PL 8-ish Blaster guy, but with a PL 9 Weaken Toughness effect as well.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
greycrusader

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Hulkling! Iron Lad! Patriot II! Kate Bishop!)

Post by greycrusader »

The Young Masters ended up just being a bunch of low-grade villains who are sort of "out there" to be used as flunkies or mercenaries by first or second tier threats. It doesn't help that even some of the early group have no real origins (Big Zero, Egghead, the Young Enchantress) or particular motivations (Coat of Arms, who is just a really vague Swordsman legacy). The latter additions are even more obscure. I guess Melter has some pathos-he's an example of a pretty decent kid whose mutant powers killed people because of lack of control. And he's really traumatized because of it, guilty but too afraid to admit what happened. Big Zero and Egghead are just vile, and need to be punched repeatedly (yeah, I despise Neo-Nazis). The others are just kind of...blah.

All my best.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

I don't mind Kate Bishop but there are two things I'd change about her..
1) Give her an original code name, the whole two characters using the same name thing is annoying, especially when we're constantly getting the 'I am the real' thing from the copycat version (such as with Miles Morales)
2) Add body armour to her costume, however skilled she is she's still a baseline human, realistically she'd need protection fighting against human criminals let alone super villains.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Kate was honestly better off when she was kind of a Swiss-Army Knife that had a bow-and-arrow for ranged combat, escrima batons for general melee fighting, and a sword when things got serious or she needed to cut something. It gave her a bit of her own thing, much like how Roy Harper was better as Arsenal rather than Red Arrow. Having her be a "mini-Hawkeye" hurt both her and Clint in the long run because you either acknowledge that she's a younger, bitchier, female Clint, or you have to push her as being just as good as the guy whose the most skilled archer alive.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Jabroniville

The Enchantress (Lushton)

Post by Jabroniville »

THE ENCHANTRESS II (Sylvie Lushton)
Created By:
Role: Spoiled Sorceress
PL 9 (96)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 2 AGILITY 2
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 3
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Magic) 5 (+7)
Persuasion 3 (+4)
Ranged Combat (Magic) 2 (+8)

Advantages:
Ranged Attack 3, Ritualist

Powers:
"Magical Might"
Transform (One Element to Another) 8 (40) -- [46]
  • AE: "Paralyzing Bolt" Affliction 10 (Will; Dazed & Fatigued/Stunned & Defenseless/Paralyzed) (Extras: Ranged, Cumulative) (30)
  • AE: Teleport 8 (Extras: Accurate, Extended Only +0) (24)
  • AE: Eldritch Blast 10 (Feats: Variable 2- Any Magical Descriptor) (22)
  • AE: Force Field 6 (Extras: Affects Others 8, Ranged 8) (24)
  • AE: "Telekinesis" Move Object 10 (20)
  • AE: Mind Control 8 (32)
Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+1 Damage, DC 16)
Paralyzing Bolt +8 (+10 Ranged Affliction, DC 20)
Eldritch Blast +8 (+10 Ranged Damage, DC 25)
Mind Control -- (+8 Perception-Ranged Affliction, DC 18)
Initiative +2

Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2 (+8 Force Field), Fortitude +3, Will +3

Complications:
Prejudice (Slight Lisp)
Relationship (Melter II)

Total: Abilities: 32 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 46 / Defenses: 7 (96)

-The second Enchantress is a normal girl given powers by Loki to confound The Young Avengers- she wants to join their team, but is actually being used as an unknowing "mole" to wreck their magical defense systems. And so she has her teammates in The Young Masters back her up to put a hurting on the heroes for booting her out of their homebase. Determined by fight's end to choose her own destiny (The Young Avengers want her on the team after all), she helps the YAs get rid of the Sentry, and runs off with her boyfriend, Melter II. But then she just turns up as a generic Background Villain in a number of storylines: She aids Jeremy Briggs in Avengers Academy (he's trying to strip Earth's superhumans of their powers), is a Magical Mook in Caroline Le Fay's "Dark Valkyrior" team in The Fearless Defendesr, and shows up with the Young Masters on the Shadow Council version of the team, too. And then later, she shows up on the Hood's version of the Illuminati, disguised as the original one. She just kind of... shows up in a lot of stuff, even more than the other members of her team.

-Oh, goody- my second-favourite powet-set. "Generic Magic Powers". Every other power-set in the history of comics is tied for first. I only know a handful of her powers, and I'm assuming the rest is Enchantress Lite, being a non-Asgardian version of the character who only fits as a background fighter in bigger super-battles. I mean, if she was higher than PL 9, she'd be way beyond most Rookie Heroes like The Young Avengers.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
drkrash

Post by drkrash »

Am I completely making it up in my head that Kate Bishop is British?

Anyway, I liked her first look. I really, really didn't like the "no mask, headband" look she eventually supported. I (like others here) hate customs that are not really costumes.

Jab, I agree that the early Fraction series definitely intended romantic (or at least sexual) tension between Clint and Kate. (I'm remembering a time when she rooted around in his pants looking for keys or something). I would have liked to see that explored more, but I'm OK that they didn't go anywhere with it. What I *don't* like is that Kate eventually decided she was way more put together than Clint and just made fun of him.

Then she went off to have dumb PI adventures in LA.

She could still be a cool superhero, even keeping the name Hawkeye (along with Clint), but that doesn't seem to be the kinds of stories these second-tier characters get these days.
Shadow Ops - cinematic espionage action RPG - Kickstarter live now!
Goldar

Post by Goldar »

I never heard of Young Masters....and now I am glad, lol. Ugggh, Marvel was scrapping low with these characters.
Jabroniville

The Executioner (Dubois)

Post by Jabroniville »

THE EXECUTIONER III (Daniel DuBois)
Created By:
Role: Legacy Villain
PL 7 (86)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE 1

Skills:
Deception 4 (+5)
Expertise (Streetwise) 4 (+6)
Insight 2 (+2)
Intimidation 4 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 3 (Rifles, Baseball Bats & Stuff), Fast Grab, Improved Critical (Unarmed), Improved Hold, Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 3, Startle

Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Bat +9 (+5 Damage, DC 19)
Rifle +8 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +3

Complications:
Responsibility (Wants To Be A Hero)- The Executioner wants to join The Young Avengers.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 16--8 / Advantages: 11 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 11 (86)

-The Executioner is a wealthy kid who hunts down and kills "criminal scum", and also doesn't have an issue killing pets- ironic for the son of Princess Python (who must have SOME KIND of genetics, given what she looks despite having a teenage son). He knows Kate Bishop from school, and tries to blackmail his way onto the Young Avengers by using his knowledge of her secret identity. He shows up in most versions of the Young Masters, but has been a backgrounder for ages.

-Executioner III is a bare-bones, simple PL 7 scrapper who uses melee and ranged weapons.