Jab’s Builds! (Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef! Sweetums! Gonzo!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Batgirl III

Re: Jab’s Builds! (April O'Neil! The Rat King! Giant Bugs! Baxter Stockman!)

Post by Batgirl III »

Three words: Phineas and Ferb.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

MacynSnow wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:47 am And on the Subject of Super Science; Where've all the Good Guy Mad Scientist's go?! All we get shown anymore are Overblown Egoists like Stockman or Sanchez(yes, i consider Rick Sanchez an Evil Mad Scientist and what he's doing to his Family as Wrong).
Why would anyone consider Rick anything BUT an evil mad scientist? The guy is a monster. Like, a legitimate monster that gets away with everything because the writers are using him as a kind of "miserable but smug and correct asshole Mary Sue" as basically justifications for the most messed up power fantasies they can come up with.

I dearly want to see him wind up in an established setting and have someone like Dr. Doom or Dr. Sivana just incinerate Rick after he gets mouthy with them and just assumes he'll be able to pull off the same kind of stuff he normally does. Better yet, have a hero do and give him a good "Reason you suck" speech.
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

I have a strong suspicion I would hate Rick and Morty, so I have never bothered to watch Rick and Morty.
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Ares
Site Admin

Post by Ares »

Batgirl III wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:56 pm I have a strong suspicion I would hate Rick and Morty, so I have never bothered to watch Rick and Morty.
Rick and Morty is basically "Nihilism: The Animated Series".
"My heart is as light as a child's, a feeling I'd nearly forgotten. And by helping those in need, I will be able to keep that feeling alive."
- Captain Marvel SHAZAM! : Power of Hope (2000)

Want to support me and Echoes of the Multiverse? Follow this link to subscribe or donate.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

I gave Rick & Morty a watch when it first came out, wasn't for me for basically the reasons Ares made as to why he didn't like it.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Jabroniville

Baxter Stockman (Nickelodeon)

Post by Jabroniville »

BAXTER STOCKMAN- Nick Toon
Role:
Mutant Fly, Nerdy Scientist, Butt-Monkey
Played By: Phil LaMarr
Group Affiliations: The Shredder's Employ
PL 8 (118)
STRENGTH
1 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 6 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE -1

Bodacious Skills:
Aerobatics 3 (+7)
Close Combat (Unarmed) 2 (+8)
Deception 4 (+3)
Expertise (Science) 9 (+15)
Perception 6 (+6)
Stealth 3 (+7)
Technology 9 (+15)
Vehicles 4 (+6)

Gnarly Advantages:
Equipment 5 (Sci-Fi Gear- Ray Blaster +6), Inventor, Ranged Attack 8

Tubular Powers:
"Fly Wings" Flight 5 (60 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [5]
"Animal Senses" Senses 1 (Acute Scent) [1]
"Compound Eyes" Senses 2 (Radius Vision 2) [2]

"Vomiting Digestive Fluids" Damage 1 (Feats: Reach 3) (Extras: Secondary Effect) & Weaken Toughness 3 (Feats: Reach 3) (Extras: Affects Objects) [14]

Righteous Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+1 Damage, DC 17)
Ray Blaster +10 (+6 Ranged Damage, DC 21)
Digestive Fluids +8 (+1 Damage & +3 Weaken, DC 16 & 13)
Initiative +4

Awesome Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +9 (DC 19), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +4

Bummer Complications:
Prejudice (Freak)
Enemy (The TMNT)- Baxter hates the Turtles, but also despises Shredder for past abuse. He attacks both whenever he gets the chance.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 40--20 / Advantages: 20 / Powers: 22 / Defenses: 15 (118)

-In the 2012 Nick Toon, Baxter is again a black man, and turned into just as much of a Butt-Monkey- he's an accidenet-prone nerd who attacked his bosses at TCRI after they fired him for some disaster involving a copier & ink wielding a robotic suit. He fended off the Turtles repeatedly, but Michelangelo tossed a beehive into the suit and drove him off. Here, he finally builds his M.O.U.S.E.R.S.- the Shredder is annoyed at his interference, but has him work for his team when Stockman proves useful with his robotics skill. However, when the Shredder's other minions Dogpound and Fishface begin harrassing him, he includes them as part of his revenge, trapping the villains in the "Maze of Doom" alongside the TMNT, and they have to "Enemy Mine" their way out of it.

-Finally, Stockman is recaptured by the Shredder, wearing a "Mutagen Collar" as insurance, but when he fails again, the collar is activated- he is thus transformed into a mutant fly-man, thus merging the two previous cartoons' Baxter. Now a fully-comedic character, buzzing around and vomiting up digestive acid, he is again working for the Shredder- failing to get Retromutagen, mutating Karai into a snake-creature by accident, and creating Bebop & Rocksteady. Finally, he is cured by another does of Retromutagen by the Turtles, but this only enrages him- he had preferred his disgusting mutant form- Michelangelo takes him out in one punch.

-This Baxter is actually a loyal henchman of the Shredder's, but maintains the stats of the 1980s version, swapping Insect Control for Vomiting Acid.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Ares wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 3:27 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 11:47 am And on the Subject of Super Science; Where've all the Good Guy Mad Scientist's go?! All we get shown anymore are Overblown Egoists like Stockman or Sanchez(yes, i consider Rick Sanchez an Evil Mad Scientist and what he's doing to his Family as Wrong).
Why would anyone consider Rick anything BUT an evil mad scientist? The guy is a monster. Like, a legitimate monster that gets away with everything because the writers are using him as a kind of "miserable but smug and correct asshole Mary Sue" as basically justifications for the most messed up power fantasies they can come up with.

I dearly want to see him wind up in an established setting and have someone like Dr. Doom or Dr. Sivana just incinerate Rick after he gets mouthy with them and just assumes he'll be able to pull off the same kind of stuff he normally does. Better yet, have a hero do and give him a good "Reason you suck" speech.
The show indulges in a great deal of Refuge in Audacity and Refuge in Absurdity, but ends up indulging far too much in celebrating Rick Sanchez's nihilistic, smug, and callous world view (with the other characters being dragged down to his level, sans the brilliant intellect). Too bad, because there are times when the show can be legitimately clever, darkly funny, and even poignant. But ultimately watching it was just depressing, IMO, as the writers had to continually push the boundaries of Rick's behavior further; dropping clues about him being ultimately miserable and revealing hints of regret and decency on occasion, but never actually following through on any of that.

And yes, it WOULD be fun to see expies show up and get their comeuppance via Doom, Sivana, Black Adam or the like.

All my best.
Last edited by greycrusader on Wed May 05, 2021 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

The head writer of that show and Community is one of those antisocial, angry, bitter weirdos who can’t interact with others, so all his stuff devolves into “hey I know I’m terrible to be around, but I’m TRYING, alright?” Add to that the Internet social misfits who watch stuff like that and It’s Always Sunny and you have a recipe for continued internet sociopathy.
Jabroniville

Mousers

Post by Jabroniville »

MOUSERS- All Continuities
Role:
Robot Army
Played By: None
Group Affiliations: Baxter Stockman's Army of Robots
PL 4 (43)
STRENGTH
0 STAMINA -- AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 2 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE -4 AWARENESS 0 PRESENCE --

Bodacious Skills:
Perception 4 (+4)
Intimidation 2 (+2)
Stealth 0 (+8 Size)

Gnarly Advantages:
Close Attack 2, Improved Initiative

Radical Powers:
"Robots"
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]
Protection 2 [2]
"Bite" Damage 4 [4]
"Clawed Toes" Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling) [2]

"Tiny Size" Shrinking 8 (Feats: Innate) (Extras: Permanent +0) -- (1 foot) [17]
(-2 Strength, +4 Defenses, +8 Stealth, -4 Intimidation, -1 Speed)

Tubular Offense:
Unarmed +4 (+0 Damage, DC 15)
Bite +4 (+4 Damage, DC 19)
Initiative +4

Rigteous Defenses:
Dodge +6 (DC 16), Parry +6 (DC 16), Toughness +2, Fortitude --, Will --

Bummer Complications:
Disabled (No Hands)- Mousers are mute and have no hands.

Total: Abilities: -20 / Skills: 6--3 / Advantages: 3 / Powers: 55 / Defenses: 2 (43)

-Frequently appearing as an early foe because that's what they were in the Mirage Comics, Mousers fall away as the various TMNT shows age- in many continuities, they appear only once. But still, they're an iconic bit of business: an unending army of Robot Mooks that do nothing but eat whatever's in their path. stuff. They were invented by Baxter Stockman to rid the city of rats- this brings them into conflict with Splinter. Their toy was rather prominent, as it came out quite early- nonetheless, it is WAY out of scale with the TV show appearance, where they were about the size of a turkey. The toy (with a wind-up walking feature) is more or less scaled like a Bullmastiff.

-In the Mirage Comics, they were used by Baxter Stockman to ransom building owners, demanding money or the buildings will be destroyed. In the 1987 Toon, they're just minions used to attack the Turtles in Baxter's debut- they have the same role in the Archie Comics retelling of that episode. They're meant to catch rats, but Baxter uses them as minions- the Turtles were able to take control of them and tear down Baxter's mansion. This is their only appearance in that continuity. They're recurring enemies in the 2003 series, even being the first enemy fought, used by Baxter and others as minions. The Nick Toon used them in a similar role, in even more episodes. In Rise of the TMNT, they are callled "Micro-Bots".

-In the IDW Comics, they are Minefield Ordnance Unarming System Enhanced Robots and were always meant for a military application- the Turtles fight them once, but later April convinces Baxter to send them against the Rat King's rats, killing all of them. Many video games use them as enemies- in some, they latch onto the Turtles and slow them down.

-Pretty much eveyr continuity of the TMNT uses Mousers like this. Despite being Mook Hordes, the Mousers can bite through enough concrete and steel to collapse a building. Mousers are pretty typical Robo-Mooks- they do a good bit of damage, but are pretty easy to kill, even in hordes.
greycrusader

Post by greycrusader »

Jabroniville wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:48 pm The head writer of that show and Community is one of those antisocial, angry, bitter weirdos who can’t interact with others, so all his stuff devolves into “hey I know I’m terrible to be around, but I’m TRYING, alright?” Add to that the Internet social misfits who watch stuff like that and It’s Always Sunny and you have a recipe for continued internet sociopathy.
Characters who engage in dreadful behaviors CAN be funny and even engaging, so long as their antics don't descend into "depravity of the week"; but its important the consequences of their actions aren't ignored, and that they have an actual character arc, even if that just means they recognize the need to tone down their awfulness while other people are around. Too often, these kinds of shows totally forget the whole "...TRYING" part.

All my best.
Jabroniville

Ace Duck

Post by Jabroniville »

Hungry for duck brain, Krang ordered Shredder to beam an Earthbound duck to Dimension X (there's a shortage of ducks in Dimension X). While transmuting the duck, famous test pilot, Ace Conrad, accidentally flew into the energy beam. The emerging plane was suddenly piloted by Ace Duck, the aero-dynamic adventurer with a big bill. The plane plummeted into the inner city and slid nose-first into the sewer. Ace escaped without ruffling his feathers and found himself at the secret hideout of the Turtles. After realizing he wasn't just some quack off of the streets, the Turtles decided to hire Ace to pilot their Turtle Blimp. Always looking for a good adventure, Ace isn't afraid to scramble the Foot with his hard-boiled Egg Grenades... as long as he gets paid on time. Even though he's employed by the Turtles, Ace is still their fearless, flying friend.

ACE DUCK
Role:
Mutant Duck, Dumb-Looking Ally
Played By: N/A
Group Affiliations: None
PL 8 (108)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 9 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Bodacious Skills:
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 5 (+7)
Vehicles 10 (+14) (Flaws: Limited to Aerial Vehicles)

Gnarly Advantages:
Equipment 5 (Pistol, Egg Grenades), Improved Aim, Improved Critical (Pistol), Ranged Attack 6, Ultimate Pilot

Radical Equipment:
"Service .45 Pistol" Blast 5 (10)
"Egg Grenades" Blast 7 (Extras: Burst) (Diminished Range -1) (20)

Tubular Powers:
"Mutant Duck"
"Animal Senses" Senses 3 (Extended Scent, Low-Light & Extended Vision) [3]
Movement 1 (Environmental Adaptation- Aquatic) [2]
Flight 4 (30 mph) (Flaws: Winged) [4]
Swimming 3 (4 mph) [3]

Righteous Offense:
Unarmed +9 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Pistol +10 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Egg Grenades +7 Area (+7 Ranged Damage, DC 22)
Initiative +4

Awesome Defenses:
Dodge +10 (DC 20), Parry +10 (DC 20), Toughness +4, Fortitude +5, Will +6

Bummer Complications:
Prejudice (Monster)

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 14 / Powers: 12 / Defenses: 11 (108)

-Ace Duck was one of the lamest toys released for the TMNT line: he's ugly, plain and dresses all dumb. His "Pilot" look just lacks the detail of some of the nutbars in this line. His role is also incredibly-limited in most of the supporting materials- in his ONLY appearance in the entire cartoon (which, remember, had ten seasons) was when the Turtles were watching an Ace Duck Marathon on TV. Ace is seen in a close-up, cackling like Donald Duck. That's it! His entire run! As a kid, I found the character almost offensively lame- like you had all these fantastic designs with ninja turtles, gun-toting rhinos, alien brains in giant robots, and then there's this asshole in a bomber jacket and with generic "humanoid animal" features. It's the most boring, hopeless design of all the early characters! And at least the later ugly toys were horrible in EPIC ways- Hot Spot, Scratch & Halfcourt were idiotic toys, but at least you could feel effort in their incompetence- not just "okay, so he's a duck and here are his clothes".

-I found Ace Duck so stupid (I think we had his toy) that I actually laughed at his cameo appearance in the Archie Comics- he was a literal jobber! Like, the ORIGINAL kind! When the TMNT went to space, Leatherhead was seen as the dominant wrestler in the Intergalactic Wrestling Federation... and he's beating on a big, muscular version of Ace, whose only cameo is him losing a match! An ACTUAL JOBBER! I was delighted- it meant the Archie creators hated him, too! He reappears losing to a guy named Bloodbath, dropping the fight in the same way- he talks too much shit and is clobbered!

-Ace's "Exists only as a background joke" concept continued on in the Nick Toon, where his image appears on a photograph as another random mutant created by Baxter Stockman for the Shredder- the art hilariously evokes that of Tom of Finland, an artist known for hyper-masculinized ultra-gay imagery. Look up Tom of Finland and realize what kind of joke this kids' cartoon was making... and be thankful the picture stops at the shoulders. The character also shows up in the IDW Comics, this time as a space pilot on the side of the Neutrinos.

-This begs the question as to which kind of Ace Duck to stat. The Cartoon apparently features him as a cartoon character, so that's out. The toy gives him the bio of an ace pilot who was trapped in a transporter beam because Krang wanted some "duck brain" and was beaming a duck to Dimension X (it also mentions that he's from Peking, naturally). In the Archie comic, he's an alien muscle-man (er, muscle-duck) whose bragging is always his undoing- two opponents beat him while he's boasting.

-As the Toy Bio lists all of his piloting stuff, I included that because it's more interesting than "bragging strong guy". His piloting skills are tremendous, and he's PL 7.5 with his .45 (one of the few real-world weapons actually given a specific name), but overall he's not one of the better combatants. Because he looks dumb and I am petty that way.
Sidney369

Post by Sidney369 »

I've read the Archie comic where he appeared 9and called himself "the finest fowl of Planet Perdufus"). I think the comic writers had no knowledge of the toy beyond the name and created their own version, given the differences between them.
Always ask before you use someone's Original Character.
Never ever use them without permission. Only Villains do that.
Grenzer

Post by Grenzer »

Count me in on the crowd that never 'got' Rick and Morty. I really started to feel my age when this show that was the toast of the online fanboy community left me cold, it made me feel left behind in the cultural zeitgeist. It is a show that is self-satisfied in its meanness and tearing down all of the wonder I enjoyed in sci-fi and pop culture growing up. It worries me what the next generation of 'creatives' in the adult animation market are going to crank out in order to top the bleak vision of Roiland and Harmon. On top of that, the production team is lazy: back in 2018 the show was given an additional 70 episode order and three years later only 20 have been completed, with half of those set to premier this June. I miss the ambitious days when cranking out a full 65 episode season was expected if a cartoon had any chance of airing in a regular weekday time slot. All of the flaws of the older shows aside, I don't think the quality of the modern cartoons is quite enough to justify how abbreviated they feel.

On topic, Ace Duck was the second TMNT action figure I ever owned so he holds a soft spot for me despite being a very bland design. And I'm glad Jab confirmed he never made more than a cameo in the original series; I used to spend many an hour before school watching repeats of the 80's cartoon on USA Network to see if I had missed the episode that featured Ace but to no avail.
M4C8

Post by M4C8 »

Anyone else seen the show 'Solar Opposites', it's by one of the creators of Rick and Morty.
'A shared universe, like any fictional construct, hinges on suspension of disbelief. When continuity is tossed away, it tatters the construct. Undermines it'
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

No, I passed because of that fact.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!