Jab’s Builds! (Beaker! Sam Eagle! Miss Piggy! The Swedish Chef!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
slade the sniper

Re: Jab’s Builds! (Ahsoka! Mace Windu! Emperor Palpatine! Yoda!)

Post by slade the sniper »

Pointless post: In the old d20 Star Wars games, to allow for cross genre play and make Jedi/Sith not so useless compared to magic users in other games, my group and I basically allowed The Force to have the "force" descriptor, plus any other types that made sense, and made Force using traditions the distillation of both Magic and Psionics to allows them to pretty much always do damage. This is pointless because M&M places very little (if any) descriptors for damage and armor protection.

-STS
Jabroniville

Kanan Jarrus

Post by Jabroniville »

KANAN JARRUS (Caleb Dume)
Role:
Team Leader
Group Affiliations: The Jedi Knights, The Rebel Alliance
PL 8 (143)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 8 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 2 AWARENESS 3 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Acrobatics 4 (+8)
Athletics 8 (+10)
Insight 2 (+5)
Investigation 2 (+5)
Perception 5 (+8)
Persuasion 2 (+4)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Technology 2 (+4)
Vehicles 1 (+7)

Advantages:
Agile Feint, Defensive Attack, Equipment 3 (Blaster +5, Assorted Gear), Improved Critical (Lightsaber), Improved Defense, Improved Initiative, Languages (A Few), Ranged Attack 5, Uncanny Dodge

Powers:
"Mastery of The Force"
"Force Senses"
Senses 8 (Detect The Force- Ranged 3, Detect Life- Ranged 3) [8]
Enhanced Skill 2: Vehicles 2 (+9) [1]
Enhanced Advantages 3: Defensive Roll, Improved Aim, Precise Attack (Close/Concealment) [3]

"Force-Assisted Movement"
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]
Speed 2 (8 mph) [2]

"Jedi Laser Deflection" Deflect 10 (Extras: Multiattack, Reflect, Redirection) (Flaws: Limited to Lasers, Lightsaber-Based, Multiattack Requires Multiple Lasers -1/2) (15) -- [18]
  • AE: "Use The Force" Move Object 4 (Feats: Precise, Subtle) (Diminished Range -1) (9)
  • AE: "Force Push" Damage 2 (Feats: Subtle) (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cone +1/2) Linked to Affliction 5 (Strength; Hindered & Vulnerable/Prone & Stunned) (Feats: Subtle) (Extras: Extra Condition, Area- 30ft. Cone +1/2) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (12.5)
  • AE: "Jedi Mind Trick" Affliction 3 (Will; Dazed/Compelled) (Feats: Subtle) (Extras: Area- Audio Perception, Selective) (Flaws: Limited Degree) (7)
"Lightsaber" (Flaws: Easily Removable) (Feats: Restricted to Those Trained) [9]
Strength-Damage +6 (Extras: Penetrating 7) (13 points)

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Lightsaber +8 (+8 Damage, DC 23)
Laser Blaster +9 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Force Push +2-5 Area (+2 Damage & +5 Affliction, DC 12 & 15)
Mind Trick +3 Area (+3 Affliction, DC 13)
Initiative +8

Defenses:
Dodge +12 (DC 22), Parry +12 (DC 22), Toughness +3 (+4 D.Roll), Fortitude +5, Will +7

Complications:
Responsibility (Untrained Jedi)- Kanan's training was not quite complete when Order 66 took his master, and most of the Jedi. He has yet to learn many aspects of Jedi knowledge (such as the meaning of Master Yoda's comment "Do or do not. There is no 'try'.").
Secret (Jedi)- The Jedi are considered wanted enemies of the Empire- Kanan will not swing his Lightsaber around unless he needs to.
Relationship (Hera Syndulla)- Kanan & Hera are in love, but never really mention it to each other, nor do they hang off of each other- their moments are typically in private.
Responsibility (The Dark Side)- The Dark Side is dangerously-close for all Jedi. Using Dark Side-like powers (like strangling someone with The Force, or crushing them internally), killing defeated foes or otherwise killing needlessly, and even using All-Out or Power Attack too often can lead the Jedi down a dark path. The Dark Side is "quicker, EASIER- more seductive," and the temporary boost of power can easily tempt one. Excessive use of the Dark Side will twist one's spirit, and mangle their body.

Total: Abilities: 56 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 15 / Powers: 42 / Defenses: 18 (143)

-Kanan is part of the "Big Reveal" in the first episode of Star Wars: Rebels- as the battle turns against our rag-tag band of heroes, he unleashes a LIGHTSABER and starts deflecting laser beams left and right! Turns out he's a freakin' JEDI, and one of the fabled survivors of the Jedi cull instigated by Emperor Palpatine. This, of course, is the CLASSIC Origin Story for countless Jedi PCs in Star Wars RPGs & FanFics across the planet, and so isn't exactly original, but the idea of Jedi walking around in the Imperial Era, and NOT just sitting around in hiding, is a pretty big deal. I mean, it calls into question a TON of stuff, even if it isn't quite around the setting of the Original Trilogy (it's set about five years before A New Hope, actually).

-Jarrus served as kind of an imperfect mentor- a Field Leader of the Ghost's squad (though Hera was in command of the ship), he was the most powerful, and was charged with training Ezra in the Force, but was admittedly barely-trained himself- it's shown that he struggled with Yoda's "Do or do not; there is no try" message, and he & Ezra are both easily defeated by Darth Vader in their battle, and need to be saved by Ahsoka Tano against anyone wielding real Force Powers. Ultimately, Jarrus dies in a heroic sacrifice, holding back an explosion's fire against The Ghost, allowing them to make their escape- it overwhelms him and he's gone.

-Kanan is pretty much a standard PL 8 Jedi, but usually fights as a PL 7 Blaster with his teammates until things REALLY get hairy, and he upgrades a Power Level with the Lightsaber.
slade the sniper

Post by slade the sniper »

Just in case people get all scared of Jedi, here is a little video on how you can kill them. You would think that the Empire would have this as a training vid...plus all those Clone Troopers worked with Jedi in combat for years and never thought of any tactics?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPeI4mX8Nus

-STS
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

slade the sniper wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:40 am Just in case people get all scared of Jedi, here is a little video on how you can kill them. You would think that the Empire would have this as a training vid...plus all those Clone Troopers worked with Jedi in combat for years and never thought of any tactics?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPeI4mX8Nus

-STS
I guess "Order 66" was a LONG time ago, as they sure didn't seem to have a problem dealing with Jedi THEN. But really, Jedi PLs are all over the place, seemingly, and as even the toughest are only about as tough as any dude who keeps in good shape, sneak attacks are their downfall- a couple good laser blasts and they're done.

It's really weird how few Area Attacks their are in the Star Wars universe, though- only starships seem to have them.
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

There's the Thermal Detonator (the grenade thing Leia had in Jabba's Palace), but I don't think that actulaly got used on-screen in the movies. The Expanded Unvierse, of course goes nuts with stuff like this, having heavy Stormtroopers with rocket launchers and the like.
Jabroniville

Hera Syndulla

Post by Jabroniville »

SPACE WAIFU.

HERA SYNDULLA
Role:
Sexy Lady Pilot
Group Affiliations: The Rebels
PL 7 (141)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 4
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 5
INTELLIGENCE 4 AWARENESS 4 PRESENCE 4

Skills:
Athletics 2 (+4)
Deception 4 (+8)
Expertise (Rebel Fighter) 4 (+8)
Insight 3 (+7)
Investigation 4 (+8)
Perception 3 (+7)
Persuasion 3 (+7)
Stealth 2 (+6)
Technology 5 (+9)
Vehicles 8 (+13)

Advantages:
Attractive, Contacts, Equipment 43 (The Ghost, Blaster +5), Languages (A Few), Ranged Attack 3

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Lasers +8 (+5 Ranged Damage, DC 20)
Initiative +4

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +8 (DC 18), Toughness +3, Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Motivation (Stopping The Empire)- Hera and her father as the sole free survivors of their family, and the Twi'lek people were decimated by the Empire and largely enslaved. She hates them on a very deep, personal level.
Secret (Many)- Hera has to keep a lot of secrets in order to act properly as a Rebel cell. This sometimes doesn't sit well with the others. She knew the identity of Fulcrum (Ahsoka Tano), for example, so that it couldn't be tortured out of anyone else if they were captured.

Total: Abilities: 64 / Skills: 38--19 / Advantages: 49 / Powers: 0 / Defenses: 10 (141)

-Hera is the pilot of their ship, The Ghost, on Star Wars: Rebels, and this makes her one of the most important people around- though Kanan seems to be the field commander, it's HERA'S ship, and thus everyone has to do what she says, in the end. It also turns out she's the one who recruited Kanan, and is responsible for a lot of the intelligence that goes on behind-the-scenes, and is arguably the most well-rounded member of the crew (SKILLS! I'm talking about her SKILLS, here!). She's attractive and seems able to use it to get what she wants from more-clueless males- she's even able to play LANDO CALRISSIAN, too! I think Hera ended up being one of my favorite characters on the show, because she was competent and a great pilot, but not, like spoken of in hushed tones or anything like that, and not a great fighter- she was just very good at what she did.

-There's some nice stuff in the later seasons when the crew of The Ghost is fully recruited to the Rebellion after meetings with Mon Mothma, Princess Leia and others- Hera becomes more distant, stops flirting with Kanan, and takes that "leaderly aloof" persona that people in charge often have to take, realizing that she could lead give someone orders that could get them killed. This coldness doesn't quite suit her, and you can see her struggle against it- she finally opens up to Kanan a bit more... right before he dies. She mournfully says "Why didn't I TELL him?", admitting they'd never really confessed their love, but the others all kind of knew, and told her so.

-She does the least fighting of her crew, so I'm putting her at a lower level than them in several categories (She's PL 6.5 on Defense, for example), but as she's a great Pilot, very Skilled, good at reading people (ie. Insight- she figures out quickly that Lando's trying to play her crew against each other for his own ends), and owns a Falcon-ish ship with its own attachment, she's way more expensive than most of the others.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
catsi563

Re: Jab’s Builds! (The Emperor! Yoda! Rebels- Kanan, Ezra & Hera!)

Post by catsi563 »

hera was a great character, vanessa marshal really brought strength to the roll and helped make her a very strong character all around

quick side note you may want to add a feature to her that she can use her Lekku (the head tails) to communicate its a known feature of twileks beyond the fact that theyre universally considered attractive
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Woodclaw

Post by Woodclaw »

Hera and the Ghost also made a "blink and you'll miss it" appearance in Rogue One as one of the ships sent to Scarif to rescue the titular team (it can be seen at the left of Rebel flagship when the fleet drops out of hyperspace). At the end of the battle, one of the officers on the deck of the flagship also reports: "Captain Syndulla made the jump to hyperspace".
According to the new canon, the Ghost also fought in the Battle of Endor and a number of other major engagements even coming up again during the rise of the First Order.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

they also show up in the Rise of Skywalker finale the battle of exogal
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
KorokoMystia

Post by KorokoMystia »

Kanan's voice is also among those of the past Jedi,, though if you aren't familiar with the character the only way you'd know is to see the credits.
Jabroniville

The Ghost

Post by Jabroniville »

THE GHOST
Role: Rebel Starship

Baseline Stats: Colossal Size, Strength 15, Defense 10, Toughness 12 (14)
Movement: Space Travel 2, Flight 12 (28)
Features: Secret Smuggling Holds, Lounge Area (2)

Weapons:
"Blaster Array" Blast 14 (Feats: Extended Range 3) (Extras: Multiattack) (45)
"Nose Turret" Blast 10 (Extras: Multiattack) (30)

"Shield Generators" Protection 2 (Extras: Impervious 9) (11)
"Sensor Jammer" Concealment (All Senses) 10 (Flaws: Limited to Machines) (10)

Total Cost: Stats: 14 / Movement: 28 / Features: 2 / Weapons: 96 (140 Equipment Points)

THE PHANTOM
Role: Flying Attachment

Baseline Stats: Large Size, Strength 5, Defense 8, Toughness 8 (13)
Movement: Flight 8, Space Travel 1 (18)
Features: None (0)

Weapons:
Blasters 8 (Extras: Multiattack) (24)

Total Cost: Stats: 13 / Movement: 18 / Features: 0 / Weapons: 24 (55 Equipment Points)

-The Ghost is a little larger than The Millennium Falcon, and lacks Han Solo's numerous upgrades, but it's still a good ship. AND there's a secondary, smaller Attack Craft called The Phantom attached to it!
Jabroniville

Chopper

Post by Jabroniville »

C1-10P (Chopper)
Role:
Funny Robot, The Sarcastic One
Group Affiliations: The Rebel Alliance
PL 3 (59)
STRENGTH
-2 STAMINA -- AGILITY -2
FIGHTING 0 DEXTERITY 0
INTELLIGENCE 3 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE -1

Skills:
Deception 4 (+3)
Insight 2 (+4)
Perception 1 (+3)
Technology 7 (+10)

Advantages:
Luck

Powers:
"Astromech Droid"
Protection 2 [2]
Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30]

"Quick Calculations" Quickness 4 (Flaws: Limited to Mental Actions & Repairs) [2]
"Datalink" Communication (Technology) 3 [12]
"Servo Arm" Features 1: Arm [1]

"Electro-Shock Prod" Damage 3 (Feats: Accurate 3) [6]

Offense:
Unarmed +0 (-2 Damage, DC 13)
Electro-Shock +3 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Initiative -2

Defenses:
Dodge +4 (DC 14), Parry +0 (DC 10), Toughness +2, Fortitude --, Will +4

Complications:
Responsibility (The Rebel Alliance)
Weakness (Magnets, Electrical Attacks)- Droids are made entirely of metal, and are thus vulnerable to certain things.
Prejudice (Droid)- Droids are not allowed in certain areas, treated like property, often have their MEMORIES WIPED, and even tortured in some weird parts of the world.
Disabled (Astromech)- Astromech Droids do not have real limbs, legs nor the ability to speak normally.
Rivalry (Ezra, Zeb)- Chopper dislikes his two crewmates, and seeks to annoy them frequently. He does not get along with the ship's computer, either.
Hatred (Other Droids)- Chopper frequently attacks other Droids for no reason at all.

Total: Abilities: -10 / Skills: 14--7 / Advantages: 1 / Powers: 53 / Defenses: 8 (59)

-A cranky, sarcastic prankster of a Droid, C1-10P is more annoying than funny in my book- he's like the guy at the table who built a character specifically to be able to annoy the other players ("HUH-HUH, I have no abilities- I just make fun of everyone!" "I attack the Droid!" "What? Why?" "CUZ!"). The explanation in-series is that he's way past his expiry date, so his personality's gotten all weird. He's not much of a fighter, but he can surprise people with that Electro-Shock Prod.
Woodclaw

Re: The Ghost

Post by Woodclaw »

Jabroniville wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:10 pm Image

-The Ghost is a little larger than The Millennium Falcon, and lacks Han Solo's numerous upgrades, but it's still a good ship. AND there's a secondary, smaller Attack Craft called The Phantom attached to it!
Larger?
I thought the ghost was smaller than the Falcon.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Re: The Ghost

Post by Jabroniville »

Woodclaw wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:29 pm
Jabroniville wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:10 pm
Larger?
I thought the ghost was smaller than the Falcon.
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Ghost
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Millennium_Falcon

According to this site at least, The Ghost is about 10 meters longer and almost twice as tall. It does seem to have more “standing room”, probably because of it being the home base/setpiece so often.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Hm, I seem to have neglected to post a longer review of Star Wars: Rebels.

Overall, I thought it was fine, though often unmemorable. All the stuff about "Sacred Jedi Temples" and stuff with magical powers left in objects kind of left me cold, as it was a bit weird for this universe to me. Recurring villains like the Inquisitor and the Sister & Brother or whomever were REALLY boring, generic foes. Admiral Thrawn was really cool, at least, and came off very unique for this world of cartoonish super-villainy. And of course there's that infamous scene where DARTH VADER arrives to deal with The Ghost, upends everyone, easily overpowers both Kanan & Ezra just by using the Force, and wipes the floor with the rest of the team- only Hera's quick wits save them, and Sabine practically has PTSD- "What WAS that?!" she mutters, as the team makes their getaway. Kanan points out the difference between what an Inquisitor is and what a guy with "Darth" in front of his name is.

Darth Maul is okay in the series, and gets one of the best swordfights in all of Star Wars with his simple duel with Obi-Wan Kenobi. Thrawn proves to be a calculating, sinister foe who can't be easily bluffed. Then there's a bunch of weird stuff with talking Lolth Wolves or whatever, Agent Kallus betrays the Empire and becomes a Rebel spy, and more. One of the best aspects of the show was the sense of character development- Zeb stops being the butt-monkey, Ezra matures, Sabine accepts responsibility, Hera & Kanan grow closer, Kanan becomes a better teacher, Kallus reforms, and more. However, as I'm more a fan of the movies over the whole "universe", I found a lot of stories kind of dull. To be honest, I really watched this as background noise about 80% of the time. A few episodes really stood out to me, but this is one of those shows where if I stopped paying attention for a few minutes so I could work on some stuff, I didn't bother to pause it or rewind. It was just "some show" except for the rare moments where it was truly excellent.