Jab's Rifts Builds (Rifts- A Final Summation!)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Curbludgeon

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Swamp-Sludger! Waterstrider! Pirate!)

Post by Curbludgeon »

Psyscape is a really fun book. I fear conversion of most of the classes (Harvester excluded) might not be as engaging as other book elements, simply because they're almost entirely predicated on psionic power selections. A funny thing I noticed from flipping through the books is that one gets a far better Nega Psychic by using the Conversion Book rules to port over one from Beyond the Supernatural. It even plays as a more interesting character; instead of having a chip on the shoulder that supernatural stuff ain't got nothing on the Rifts native Nega Psychic, the BTS NP would just assume they've lost their mind, or are a solipsist toying with themselves.

The monsters and D-Bees are where this book is most entertaining. As one example, I had brought up on the palladium forum how the psychic symbiote "psymbiote" could not only likely bond with a full conversion cyborg, but could arguably grant the borg the ability to burn off their last few PPE in contributions to Astral Realms. The rules on such things are such that once more than a couple of dozen people are contributing all kinds of hijinks are on the table, including instant teleportation into time-dilated realms where members are reality warpers. In that many of the unbonded Psymbiotes have become increasingly radicalized over being hunted by the Splugorth for bio-wizardry stock, and thousands to tens of thousands live in the waterways near the pro-magic pseudo-Utopian city of Lazlo (near ruins of Toronto), doing this allows for gonzo crap. Perhaps captured Coalition troops can be "invited" to subjective decades of education/reeducation before enlisting them in orders of zealot psychic cyborgs with wacky names like The Aquastral Consensus, where they have absolute proof that suicide missions can lead to Paradise.

The bubble blowing prematurely old-looking Yhabbayar Mystics are also fun, and are at least 50% less grimdark.
Jabroniville

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Swamp-Sludger! Waterstrider! Pirate!)

Post by Jabroniville »

And now...
Kevin Siembieda wrote:Rifts Psyscape is about a year overdue and seems to be one of the most hotly anticipated books in the last few years. It is a book I wanted to do for some time, but last year, decided to let another author take a shot at it. The resulting manuscript is one I didn't think "said" Psyscape, so I canned it and decided to write Psyscape myself after all.
Bill Coffin wrote:It starts with Kevin receiving a manuscript proposal for Rifts Greenland. Kevin likes the pitch and greenlights the project. Whatever the freelancer's ideas for the book are, Kevin gets jazzed over the concept of the book and develops all on his own what the book ought to be. Only, this is going on while the poor freelancer is writing the book, so surprise, surprise, when the book gets turned in, it's not what Kevin wanted. This is a classic case of somebody hating Black Hawk Down because when they went to see it, they were in the mood for M*A*S*H. So, Kevin does what he does best, he writes the freelancer a patronizing letter on how excited he was when the project was first pitched and how disapoointed he was that all that promise never materialized. Sometimes, the freelancer doesn't take this well, and he goes off on Kevin, which is never a good thing because then it prompts Kevin to call his other writers, read to them the letters he and Angry Freelancer traded back in forth and lament about how sad it is that there are so few professionals in this business.

But back to work. We now have a Rifts Greenland is not to Kevin's liking, but he wants to put the book out, both because he wants his vision of it realized and because he needs new product. Objectively speaking, it might, in this case, be smart to write off Rifts Greenland and instead put out the book he's been working on himself. Only he can't, because he hasn't been working on a book himself. He's been busy running a company by chewing out the guys in the warehouse, fighting with Disney over preserving his right to sell Rifts tee shirts he'll never produce once the movie comes out, and calling his other freelancers to bitch about how difficult his life is.
Jabroniville

Rifts Psyscape

Post by Jabroniville »

RIFTS WORLD BOOK 12: PSYSCAPE (1997):
-Surprisingly-late down the line comes the necessary splatbook on PSIONICS- they other great "common source of powers" in Rifts. Psionics was different from Magic, in that it was more inborn and its practitioners more combat-capable than Wizards were, so it didn't need a "fix" right away, but given how often it's brought up in the game, it's surprising it took so long. But here we have a book based around "Psyscape"- a mythical "City of Psionics", which offers... OH MY GOD IS THIS BOOK FULL OF STUFF!!

Seriously, this book contains only a pittance on actual cities and NPCs, and instead just shoves Psychic R.C.C. after R.C.C. into things. I am floored by the sheer amount of stuff here- two Psychic R.C.C.s from the Main Rulebook get redesigned to be better (owing to the world's infamous Power Creep- particularly afflicting the Burster, who was probably intended to be a popular class in the original game), and are joined by NINE MORE, six of which have "Psi-" in their name. Also joining them are nine animals/NPCs, and seven R.C.C.s from other worlds! Like, this book is gonna take me FOREVER to get through. At least you can't say they were holding back with THIS one!

The art in the book is amazing- Ramon Perez handles most of the Classes and half of the animals, and Dubisch does his weird stuff with many of the others. There's a PHENOMENAL two-page spread of a Mage/Psionic vs. Coalition battle and it really makes the setting seem alive and amazing. The only unfortunate thing about it all is that the sheer number of classes means that it's more or less "Perez draws a random cyberpunk character and that's our new Class"- very little separates many of them visually, to the point where I suspect, much like his Rifts New West stuff, the Editors simply saw all these cool drawings and decided each one needed to be its own Character Class.

Like, a Zapper and a Burster look unique (Perez actually "saves" the Burster from the ungodly terrible Wayne Breaux art from the first book), but sooooo much of this is just "sketchy punker" (I hate punkers) with maybe some energy attack or a gun. I'll have to sort through all the characters to see which ones actually stand out and which are mere "Class Bloat". But in a book with 37 different things to post about (I counted), it's probably inevitable that many would suck.
JDRook

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Waterstrider! Pirates! Rifts Psyscape!)

Post by JDRook »

I remember seeing this book and flipping through to find the Zapper, which I correctly guessed was an electrokinetic version of the Burster, but being a little disappointed that they didn't also have a "Splasher," the logical hydrokinetic equivalent. Admittedly, Hydro-K is objectively the worst kinesis available, but in practice it would probably make an interesting counter to Burster and Zappers if nothing else.
Jabroniville

Harvester

Post by Jabroniville »

THE HARVESTER O.C.C.
Role:
Necromancer
PL 7 (100 + Magic)
STRENGTH
3 STAMINA 4 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+6)
Expertise (Survival) 4 (+6)
Expertise (Magic) 6 (+6)
Expertise (D-Bees) 6 (+6)
Expertise (Demon Lore) 6 (+6)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Perception 3 (+5)
Stealth 2 (+5)
Treatment 1 (+5)
Vehicles 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Equipment 5 (Gun, Armor, Gear & Supplies), Ranged Attack 1, Ritualist

Powers:
"Super-Psionics"
"Sense Ley Line & Magic Energy" Senses 6 (Sense Magic & Ley Lines- Ranged 2) [6]
"Commune With Lost Souls" Comprehend 2 (Speak to & Understand Spirits & Entities) [4]
"Soul Searching" Senses 9 (Sense Good/Evil, Magic & Psionic Powers- Acute, All Ranged) [9]
"Harvesting of Souls" Features 1: Adds P.P.E. to Their Own & Enslaves Souls With Long Ritual [1]

"Magic" (Read the Dead, Recognize Undead, Consume Power & Knowledge, Command Ghouls, Animate & Control Dead, Turn Dead; +1D4+6 Spells from Harvested Mages)

Equipment:
"Light Armor" Protection 4 (Impervious 5) (9)
"Laser Pistol" Blast 7 (14)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+3 Damage, DC 18)
Blaster +5 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +3 (+7 Armor), Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Enemy (The Coalition)- Mages are hunted by the Coalition.
Power Loss (Powers)- Mages require their inner psychic potential to utilize their powers- this will eventually run out, even for the most powerful.
Weakness (Psionics)- Harvesters are easily-detected by anyone with Psionic powers. Exorcism will remove Harvested Souls from them, dropping their stats. Psionic Attacks also do double-damage.

Total: Abilities: 48 / Skills: 36--18 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 20 + Magic / Defenses: 7 (100 + Magic)

-The Harvester O.C.C. is given a lot of hype by Patrick Kornmann in one of his first things published in Rifts, and is oddly placed at the BEGINNING of the book instead of after all the Psychic stuff YOU ACTUALLY BOUGHT THIS BOOK FOR. They're actually Wizards with no Psionics at all- they're just VULNERABLE to Psionics. Their whole thing is that they're a different kind of Necromancer- one that absorbs souls via a massive ritual. The prelude shows an elite Coalition squad being nearly wiped out as the members' souls are taken, and the description of their town "Soulharvest" is that it's this highly-secretive area. The intention is to build up Harvesters and their "Soulless Xombies" until they reach a certain number, at which point the Alien Intelligence (of course) they all serve will enter Rifts Earth. This is seen as so terrifying that Alistaire Dunscon & the Three Magi, ancient enemies, would actually ally against them if they knew! Their lord, Nxla, has 113,000 M.D.C., ten attacks, and the usual "impossible to kill" Intelligence stuff.

-Each soul gives Harvesters +2 P.S. and increased Hit Points, with enough of the former actually giving them Supernatural strength- roll well enough to start and you'll be doing +6-8 damage with these guys. Otherwise they have weak magic and really aren't so great.
Jabroniville

Soulless Xombie

Post by Jabroniville »

SOULLESS XOMBIE
Role:
Unusually Powerful Mook
PL 11 (73)
STRENGTH
10 STAMINA 8 AGILITY 0
FIGHTING 7 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE -3 AWARENESS -1 PRESENCE --

Skills:
None

Advantages:
Close Attack 3, Ranged Attack 3

Powers:
Protection 3 [3]
Regeneration 8 [8]
Immunity 3 (Poison, Radiation, Disease, Cold, Heat, Mind Control 2) [7]

Strength-Damage +2 [2]
Senses 1 (Low-Light Vision) [1]
Leaping 1 (15 feet) [1]

Offense:
Unarmed +10 (+12 Damage, DC 27)
Initiative +0

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +11, Fortitude +8, Will --

Complications:
Weakness (Psionics, Millennium Tree Weapons)- Both do double-damage.

Total: Abilities: 40 / Skills: 00--0 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 22 / Defenses: 5 (73)

-Soulless Xombies are the mindless followers of the Harvesters, created via a ritual- the darkness felt by Psychics during "Soulharvesting" events is the arrival of Nxla, the Alien Intelligence that creates these via "tendrils" that attack everyone in range for a few minutes until he's forced back through his portal. People who fail vs. Possession have their souls absorbed by Nxla, who will savor them for ages (perhaps eons). The only way to restore a Xombie is to engage in a 1-hour ritual that costs TONS of P.P.E., excorcising these aspects of Nxla and allowing the person's soul to return.

-Despite having all the appearance and nature of Mooks, Soulless Xombies are actually INCREDIBLY dangerous, having 4 attacks, +4 to hit, and scads of M.D.C. and hitting power- 200 M.D.C. on average, and doing 5D6 unarmed. This is INSANE, even for this game, and makes these guys PL 11s on offense, PL 9 defensively.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Point of fact here Jab: wouldn't the Xombie keep the M.D.C. armour bonus(if it had any), thereby popping the defense up? I mean, if I was playing one of these Harvester's i'd go after the things with the Greatest Armour(therby making more protected servants, which'll make sure I live longer)...
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

MacynSnow wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:56 am Point of fact here Jab: wouldn't the Xombie keep the M.D.C. armour bonus(if it had any), thereby popping the defense up? I mean, if I was playing one of these Harvester's i'd go after the things with the Greatest Armour(therby making more protected servants, which'll make sure I live longer)...
Probably. The armor is left vague, so they can wear just about anything. It's even said that they only wear it for decoration or stealth!
Sidious

Post by Sidious »

I understand why they did it but, in general, I am not a fan of MDC xombies. It's right up there with my aversion to "Fast" zombies.
I think, over all, I prefer a SDC setting more than an MDC one.
Jabroniville

Psyscape

Post by Jabroniville »

PSYSCAPE:
-So there's another major player in North America, and it's right where most of the big stuff already was! So now it's time to make excuses as to why we haven't known about it until right now! A number of big coincidences are afoot, you see- there's a sentient Psionic Nexus called "Psynex" who lives in a big Ley Line an is generally good-natured but never speaks directly to people. And a bunch of Psychics found it and built a city around it! This city is partially on the Astral Plane and can disappear from Earth at any time, so nothing on Earth can damage it and only psychics can see it. It's this classic "Big Good" city made of ectoplasm and good feelings, and the people are given this fantastically-adoring bio as these fully-awakened superheroes with their "Third Eyes" allowing them to see anyone for what they are. They are big enemies of evil, and will always help the innocent.

-Psyscape was actually formed to stop Nxla and his Harvesters, and disappeared for 270 years, which is why it's only been spoken of in hushed tones since. But now that Nxla is back, Psyscape has returned. The book is a bit odd on this front, as it points out that Nxla will actually be pretty easy to stop (albeit with some caveats- there arer 1,000 more Harvesters than anyone knows), but this puts Psyscape right into the sights of Alistaire Dunscon & the Coalition, both of whom will not be happy with his major player just popping in.

Psyscape Template:
-Psychics trained on Psyscape will actually have tremendous powers not available to most. Outsiders can learn them, but only with 10-30 years of study under a true master. It's some solid stuff considering it's basically free, but the Transformation one costs 270 I.S.P. so it's only for super-masters.

* Extra I.S.P. (only 10 or so).
* AWARNESS +1.
* "Radiate Their Nature" Communication (Mental) 1 (Extras: Area) (Flaws: Limited to Emotions, Limited to Broadcasting) [3]
* "Dreamvision" Communication (Mental) 4 (Flaws: Limited to Psychics, Limited to Sleeping Subjects) [8].
* "Transform Into Energy Beings" Insubstantial 3 (Flaws: Unreliable -2- 1/day, Source- Ley Lines) [6].
* "Detect Magic & Supernatural Evil" Senses 4 (Detect Magic & Supernatural Evil- Ranged) [4].
* Doubles range and duration of all Sensitive & Healing psychic abilities. Master Psychics can double the duration of one Super-Psionic ability.
Jabroniville

Psionic Powers

Post by Jabroniville »

Rifts: Where every psychic is Professor X!

PSIONIC POWERS:
* sigh... YUP. You knew this was coming. Though it's not so bad, actually. Most are at least sorta useful in that "weird side powers" way, and most don't cost so much. The Telemechanics stuff at the end is at least fairly pricey, so you don't be doing those too much.

Healing:
"Restore P.P.E." Converts I.S.P. to P.P.E. and gives it to another (so a Wizard power-up).
"Suppress Fear" Immunity (Fears) (Affects Others).

Physical:
"Deaden Senses" Affliction (Will; Impaired/Disabled) (Ranged, Limited to Senses). Meant to get others to lower their guards.
"Ectoplasmic Disguise" Morph (People). Will scratch or tear away easily, and is "pasty" up close.
"Telekinetic Acceleration Attack" Blast 4-10 (Requires Debris/Small Objects).
"Telekinetic Leap" Leaping (3 feet per level).
"Telekinetic Lift" Power-Lifting 1.
"Telekinetic Punch" Strength-Damage +2. Barely useful at all, really. No M.D.C. option!
"Telekinetic Push" Move Object (Away Only).

Sensitive:
"Commune With Spirits" Comprehend (Spirits) 2.
"Intuitive Combat" Improved Initiative, +1 FIGHTING, +4 Dodge, Uncanny Dodge, Acrobatics +2. Requires 1 round of concentration first.
"Machine Ghost" Dimensional Travel (Artificial Computer World). Literally goes inside the machine, Astral Projection-style; can fight viruses that will kill the user in reality. Typically used to find out information on a physical level.
"Mask I.S.P. & Psionics" Concealment (Psychic Senses).
"Mask P.P.E." Concelament (Magic Detection).
"Read Dimensional Portal" Remote Sensing & Postcognition (Limited to Dimensional Portals). Instantly knows how to use all dimensional gateway stuff (tech or magic). Literally see & know things about the other side.
"Remote Viewing" Remote Senses. May only see someone once every 24 hours.
"Sense Dimensional Anomaly" Rift/Ley Line Awareness (Ranged).
"Sense Time" Time Sense.

Super Psionics:
"Astral Golem" ST 7, Toughness +7 construct. Same close combat skills as creator.
"Group Trance" Communication Link (Others Within 20 Feet +10/level). Combine I.S.P. for leader to use.
"Psionic Invisibility" Concealment (Vision).
"Psychic Body Field" Force Field (10 M.D.C./level).
"Psychic Omni-Sight" Remote Sensing 1-2, Analytical Sight, Extended Sight 2, Ultravision, Infravision, Uncanny Dodge.
"Psychosomatic Disease" Weaken Strength/Stamina (Will Save, Progressive +2). Victim believes they are sick and will react as such with those symptoms.
"Radiate Horror Factor" Intimidation +8-10.
"Telemechanic Mental Operation" Move Object (Precise, Limited to Machines). Effectively Object Animation, sorta. Loses an attack (FIGHTING -2).
"Telemechanic Paralysis" Ranged Stun/Paralyze Affliction (Limited to Machines).
"Telemechanic Possession" Mind Control (Limited to Machines). Machines will do what you ask, but need the parts to be able to do so. Unlike the other powers, WILL work on Robots and A.I.s.
JDRook

Re: Jab's Rifts Builds (Rifts Psyscape- Harvesters! Xombies!)

Post by JDRook »

They incorporated a lot of these into the base Psionics in the Ultimate Edition, so I ended up statting a lot of them here. I think Astral Golem is the only one that didn't make the cut.
Jabroniville

Burster (Psyscape Upgrade)

Post by Jabroniville »

See- now THIS is how you make a character class LOOK GOOD! That piece of garbage in the first book? Of a shirtless guy in his sweatpants throwing vague stuff out? Nobody looked at that and wanted to play a Burster? I thought it was the lamest class ever. And then I looked at my friend's "Psyscape" book and saw THIS- now THIS is a character I wanted to play! I almost immediately wanted to have a character with that design.

BURSTER O.C.C. (Main Rulebook)
Role:
Psionics, Blasters, The Class That Got Left Behind
PL 8 (126)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 4
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 2

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Expertise (Streetwise or Survival) 4 (+6/+4)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Fire) 2 (+8)
Technology 3 (+3)
Vehicles 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 3 (Armor, Gear & Supplies), Ranged Attack 1

Powers:
"Impervious to Fire & Heat"
Immunity 6 (Fire Damage, Heat) [6]
Immunity 10 (Electrical Damage, Plasma Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [5]
Features 1: Only Minor Difficulty in Smoky Conditions [1]

"Pyrokinetic Powers"
"Flame Burst" Fire Aura 4 [16]
"Sense Fire" Senses 4 (Fire Awareness, Analytical, Ranged) [4]

"Mega-Damage Eruption" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cylinder, Ranged) (24) -- [27]
  • AE: "Fire Bolt" Blast 9 (Feats: Accurate) (Extras: Penetrating 5) (24)
  • AE: "Extinguish Fires" Nullify Flames 10 (10)
  • AE: "Fire Eruption" Blast 4 (Extras: Perception-Ranged +2) (12)
"Psionics" (Pick 3: Death Trance, Levitation, Mind Block, Resist Fatigue, Resist Thirst, Resist Hunger)

Equipment:
"Light Armor" Protection 5 (Impervious 5) (9)

Offense:
Unarmed +5 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Fire Blast +7 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +3 (+8 Armor), Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Enemy (The Coalition)- Psychics are hunted by the Coalition.
Power Loss (Powers)- Psychics require their inner psychic potential to utilize their powers- this will eventually run out, even for the best Psychics.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 4 / Powers: 59 + Psionics / Defenses: 9 (126)

---

BURSTER R.C.C. (Rifts Psyscape)
Role:
Psionics, Blasters, The Class That Got Left Behind
PL 10 (132)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Expertise (Streetwise or Survival) 4 (+4/+6)
Insight 2 (+4)
Intimidation 5 (+7)
Investigation 1 (+3)
Perception 4 (+6)
Technology 3 (+3)
Vehicles 2 (+6)

Advantages:
Close Attack 1, Equipment 3 (Armor, Gear & Supplies), Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Impervious to Fire & Heat"
Immunity 6 (Fire Damage, Heat) [6]
Immunity 10 (Electrical Damage, Plasma Damage) (Flaws: Limited to Half-Effect) [5]
Features 1: Only Minor Difficulty in Smoky Conditions [1]

"Pyrokinetic Powers"
"Flame Burst" Fire Aura 4 [16]
Force Field 4 [4]
"Sense Fire" Senses 4 (Fire Awareness, Analytical, Ranged) [4]

"Mega-Damage Eruption" Damage 8 (Extras: Area- 30ft. Cylinder, Ranged) (24) -- [27]
  • AE: "Fire Bolt" Blast 9 (Feats: Accurate 2) (Extras: Penetrating 4) (24)
  • AE: "Extinguish Fires" Nullify Flames 10 (10)
  • AE: "Fire Eruption" Blast 4 (Extras: Perception-Ranged +2) (12)
"Psionics" (Pick 3: Death Trance, Levitation, Mind Block, Resist Fatigue, Resist Thirst, Resist Hunger, Empathy, Radiate Horror Factor, Deaden Pain, See Aura, Sense Time, Telepathy)

Equipment:

Offense:
Unarmed +6 (+2 Damage, DC 17)
Fire Blast +10 (+9 Ranged Damage, DC 24)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +3 (+7 Force Field, +9 Armor), Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:
Power Loss (Powers)- Psychics require their inner psychic potential to utilize their powers- this will eventually run out, even for the best Psychics.

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 24--12 / Advantages: 6 / Powers: 63 / Defenses: 9 (132)

-The Main Rulebook contains three Psionic classes- the first and simplest being the "Burster"- a volatile pyrokinetic who specializes in dealing long-range damage. Shitty long-range damage. See, this is probably one of the classes most-damaged by the infamous "Power Creep" of Rifts. Their major blast does 2D6 Mega-Damage, which isn't too shabby for the book, though WELL below the guns that any Coalition soldier would get. Since that's an in-born power and can't get taken away, it's pretty decent... but sadly lacking when later books pile on more and more armor, guns and super-blasters, which quickly turns the Burster into one of the weakest classes you can get- one basically dependent on gear to make him remotely competitive.

-I remember my friend's sad remarks about how "A Burster would be a FINE character", but bemoaning how the setting had grown in power so much that they were now worthless- as another friend of ours was interested in playing one, we were trying to figure out some kind of suit he could wear that could boost his powers.

-A Burster is a somewhat-solid PL 8 Blaster, but lacks the armor (they wear Light MDC Armor), versatility (they're explicitly said to be unskilled, having spent most of their time learning to use their powers), or real raw strength to make a difference. A +9 Blast isn't too shabby, but it's all they can really do- their Psionics are at a pretty low level, allowing only three powers. Ever.

-Bursters get a minor upgrade in Rifts Psyscape- they earn a 30 M.D.C. regenerating Force Field with their "Flame Burst" power, get a real skill selection (still poor), and add many more potential Psionic powers (some from this book), and may select one more every three levels. And they ALSO snuck in a "+1 to strike" into their R.C.C. bonuses, which is boosted by +4 to hit with their Flame Bolt- these minor additions actually turn a PL 7.5 Blaster class into a PL 9.5 one, making them near-Juicer level! The only flaw is they will run out of "Shots" eventually, but a moderate role on their I.S.P. will still let them shoot about 20 Fire Bolts a day.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jabroniville

Mind Bleeder notes

Post by Jabroniville »

MIND BLEEDER R.C.C.:
-The book excerpts the Mind Bleeder from Rifts Africa, and changes pretty much nothing as far as I can see- it even reprints all of the powers! I'm on the fence on this- this is a pretty packed book, so this isn't just "page bloat", but that book HAD only come out four years earlier... but as Rifts Africa is one of the most maligned books in the line (it's REALLY early and they hadn't worked the kinks out yet), I supposed it's fair to put it into the "All Psychic Stuff" book.
Jabroniville

Mind Melter

Post by Jabroniville »

MIND MELTER R.C.C.- Psyscape Upgrade
Role:
Psionics, Super-Psychics
PL 9 (80 + Psionics)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 5 DEXTERITY 4

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+6)
Perception 3 (+5)
Technology 3 (+3)
Vehicles 1 (+5)

Advantages:
Close Attack 1, Equipment 6 (Gun, Armor, Gear & Supplies), Improved Initiative, Ranged Attack 2

Powers:
"Super-Psionics"
"Alter Aura" Concealment (Auras) (Activation -1) [1]
"Sixth Sense" Uncanny Dodge & Senses 1 (Danger Sense) (Activation -1) [1]
"See Aura" Senses 8 (Life Detection- Acute, Analytical, Magic Detection, Psychic Detection, Possession Awareness) & Senses (Mutant/Non-Human/Illness Detection- Uncontrolled) (Standard Action -2) [6]
"Mind Block" Immunity 10 (Mental Powers) (Flaws: Limited to Mental Intrusion, Limited to 10 Minutes, Side-Effect- Cannot Use Other Psionics) [3]

"Psionics" (3 each from all 4 categories; 3 each from regular & 1 from Super at Levels 2-3; 2 Super at level 4; 2 from any at level 5 and on)

Equipment:
"Laser Pistol" Blast 8 (16)

Offense:
Mind Bolt +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Laser Pistol +5 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +7

Defenses:
Dodge +5 (DC 15), Parry +5 (DC 15), Toughness +3 (+8 Armor, +11 Force Field), Fortitude +5, Will +6

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 18--9 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 11 + Psionics / Defenses: 8 (80 + Psionics)

-The Mind Melter returns! There's a bit about how they have a reputation for evil (the O.C.C. image is of a vampire-looking guy forcing someone to light themself on fire to illustrate this), but that some are pretty good. At least they don't use the Professor X picture from Heroes Unlimited this time.

-This is the Uber-Psychic class from the Main Rulebook, and honestly doesn't get that much different here- the only difference I can find is an inborn +1 to hit. The key advantage of this class is that it's STILL considered the most powerful overall, as it simply allows you the widest selection of powers (my first version of the build is 50 points more expensive because of this- the costs really pile up since many powers are active at once). With Mind Bolt or the eventual Psi-Sword ability (an auto-take at Level 4, really- the first time you can take it, you should), they can rapidly hit PL 9-10. With Force Field, they'll assume defensive powers similar to many Robot Armors.

MIND MELTER O.C.C.- Main Rulebook
Role:
Psionics, Super-Psychics
PL 9 (128)
STRENGTH
2 STAMINA 3 AGILITY 3
FIGHTING 6 DEXTERITY 2
INTELLIGENCE 0 AWARENESS 2 PRESENCE 3

Skills:
Athletics 3 (+5)
Intimidation 4 (+7)
Perception 4 (+6)
Ranged Combat (Mind Bolt) 4 (+10)
Technology 3 (+3)
Vehicles 4 (+6)

Advantages:
Equipment 6 (Gun, Armor, Gear & Supplies), Ranged Attack 4

Powers:
"Super-Psionics"
"Bio-Regeneration" Healing 7 (Energizing) (21) -- [27]
  • AE: "Healing Touch/Psychic Surgery" Healing 6 (12)
  • AE: "Telepathy" Mind-Reading 8 Linked to Communication (Mental) 2 (Limited to Brief Messages) (19)
  • AE: "Telekinesis" Move Object 5 (10)
  • AE: "Mind Bolt" Blast 8 (16)
  • AE: "Hypnotic Suggestion" Mind Control 7 (Limited to Simple Suggestions & Calming) (21)
  • AE: "Mind Block" Immunity 10 (Mental Powers) (Flaws: Limited to Mental Intrusion, Limited to 10 Minutes, Side-Effect- Cannot Use Other Psionics) (3)

"Telekinetic Force Field" Force Field 4 (Impervious) [12]
"Summon Inner Strength" Stamina +1 & Great Endurance (Standard Action -2) [1]
"Sixth Sense" Uncanny Dodge & Senses 1 (Danger Sense) (Activation -1) [1]
"Detect Psionics" Senses 2 (Psionic Awareness- Ranged) (Standard Action -2) [1]
"Presence Sense" Senses 3 (Supernatural Creature Awareness- Radius, Ranged) (Standard Action -2) [1]
"Sense Evil" Senses 2 (Evil Detection- Ranged) (Standard Action -2) [1]
"See Aura" Senses 8 (Life Detection- Acute, Analytical, Magic Detection, Psychic Detection, Possession Awareness) & Senses (Mutant/Non-Human/Illness Detection- Uncontrolled) (Standard Action -2) [6]
"Resist Fatigue" Immunity 2 (Fatigue) (Standard Action -2) [1]
"Alter Aura" Concealment (Auras) (Activation -1) [1]

Equipment:
"Light Armor" Protection 4 (Impervious 5) (9)
"Laser Pistol" Blast 7 (14)

Offense:
Mind Bolt +10 (+8 Ranged Damage, DC 23)
Initiative +3

Defenses:
Dodge +8 (DC 18), Parry +7 (DC 17), Toughness +3 (+7 Armor, +11 Force Field), Fortitude +4, Will +6

Complications:

Total: Abilities: 42 / Skills: 26--13 / Advantages: 10 / Powers: 52 / Defenses: 11 (128)

-The Mind Melter is the most powerful Psychic class in the Main Rulebook, and the only one there with access to SUPER-Psionic Powers! With art that's straight-up "Professor X", they feature a lot of bonuses, but are very specifically keyed to Psionics, sporting no other useful abilities. This puts them on the cheap side, points-wise, but they're packing a lot of power- Mind Bolt can do some damage, and their Force Field power is terrific, letting them equal the toughness of just about anyone in MDC Body Armor.

-They can pack three Super-Psionic Powers to start with, but are barred from three of the best ones- Mind Wipe, Mentally Possess Others & Psi-Sword- until level three, at which point they may select one. Their experience actually gains them powers VERY slowly, meaning you really have to specialize, but you can have all three of those "barred" powers by your fourth level.
Last edited by Jabroniville on Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.