Warhammer 40,000 (Roboute Guilliman)

Where in all of your character write ups will go.
Woodclaw

Re: Warhammer 40,000 (Warp Spider)

Post by Woodclaw »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:33 pm If you like Space Marine Assault Squads, Eldar Storm Guardians, or whatever other unit “the meta” tells you is suboptimal and inefficient, you go ahead and build ‘em. You go ahead and paint ‘em. You go ahead and play ‘em. And keep playing them. On and on. Game after game. Experience counts way more than “meta.”
That was my approach when I played and considering that some of my favored units include IG Sentinels and Eldar's Striking Scorpions you can imagine how much flak I got.
"You're right. Sorry. Holy shit," I breathed, "heckhounds.”

WareHouse W (main build thread for M&M)
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

I'm pretty notorious for throwing out random "one Goblin Hero on a Squig" and other insanely risky and not-really-recommended strategies, just because I find that aspect fun. Plus, there's tons of "Auto-Takes" I don't grab. When Dark Elves' Warlocks & Hydras were kings of their "meta", I still only took a unit of each (I turned my other Hydra model into their Kharybdis thing). Who wants to play just armies of the same stuff, even if it's "better"?

Didn't Age of Sigmar throw out the points-cost rules entirely? I remember that being a sticking point- they were "user-friendly" to the point where they barely had any rules.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

Didn't Age of Sigmar throw out the points-cost rules entirely? I remember that being a sticking point- they were "user-friendly" to the point where they barely had any rules.
Sort answer, yes. More realistic but still short answer, no.

Games Workshop did something kind of radical with Age of Sigmar (with Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition following suit) in that they officially codified three "tiers of play," which they call Open Play, Narrative Play, and Matched Play. Honestly, these were all things that people had already been doing for eons on their own, but now they were in the rulebook.

Open Play meant taking whatever models you had in whatever combination you felt like, totally ignoring anything like points values or factions. "Hey, man, wanna see how long twenty High Elf Spearmen and a Wizard can last against four Zombie-Dragons?" "Sure, dude, lemme get some more Mountain Dew first!"

Narrative Play meant doing pretty much the same thing, but you'd spin a whole role-playing style scenario around the fight. Either re-fighting some "real" battle from the lore or creating your own story to hang your hat on. "During Operation Overlord, the Sword Beach landing zone was assigned to the 3rd Infantry Division; 27th Independent Armoured Brigade; the 1st Special Service Brigade; and No. 41 (Royal Marine) Commando... But what if instead it had been the 2nd Battalion Royal Gurkha Rifles; 3rd Battalion, The Queen's Own Rifles of Canada; and, the H.M.S. Ark Royal Land Battleship?" "Sure, dude, but what if instead of the 352nd Infantry Division of the Wehrmacht and the 21st Panzer Division, the Japs had let the Nazis borrow Godzilla!" "Awesome! Is there any more Mountain Dew?"

Matched Play is the more traditional style of points-based wargaming. Where you have a certain budget to spend, certain organizational requirements, and certain limitations as well. You and your opponent agree to a set point value, build your army lists, and then play a game.

But, let's be clear, Open and Narrative Play styles had been around forever. Just about all of the grognards were doing it decades ago. You and your buddy got bored, so you day-dreamed a special scenario that skewed the rules in an interesting way... Or you and your buddy got really bored (and possibly stoned) and you just threw random shit at each other for giggles: "One goblin versus one dragon! Go!" What threw people off with Age of Sigmar was that the original rulebook dealt only with Open Play and the first couple supplements only addressed Open Play and Narrative Play. For about a year after AoS launched there were no official rules for Matched Play.

This was finally fixed with the release of the General's Handbook. GW's current plan with AoS is that the core rules will be just Open Play, most supplements (e.g., scenario books and army books) will be built around Narrative Play, and all the rules for Matched Play will be contained in the General's Handbook. Also, the General's Handbook is going to be updated and replaced once per year. That's actually an amazing thing to see from GW as it means they can (and have already done) adjust unit point values, unit minimum and maximum sizes, tweak certain faction-level rules (e.g., magic items) on an annual basis. You won't have to wait years and years until an Armybook gets re-released to see much needed balancing take place.

AoS just had it's Second Edition released quite recently. The Core Rules are available as a free PDF; Fully playable stats for nearly everything* from the old WHFB range are also available as free Warscroll Compendiums. If you have an iOS or Android device, you can download the official AoS app and get the unit stats for every other model in the game for free. However, all of this free stuff only lets you play Open and Narrative Play... If you want the point values and Matched Play rules, you need to sign up for the $1/mo subscription on the App or buy your dead-tree edition copy of the current General's Handbook. (Which is only $35 USD at retail).

* If the model was still in production and for sale when 8th Edition ended and AoS launched. So sorry to the three people out there that really loved their Zoat miniatures.

When Age of Sigmar debuted I was, to be blunt, kind of pissed off. I had been playing WHFB for over two-thirds of my life, I loved the Warhammer setting, the rank-and-flank gameplay, the rich lore, the colorful models... It took me a good two or three years before I decided to give Age of Sigmar a second chance. I bought a modest collection of Ironjawz orcs (figuring I could always use more monsters for D&D if I didn't like the game) and hit my FLGS's AoS Night. Mechanically, the game was great. It isn't the grand strategy game of Oldhammer, but it can also be played in under six hours! I'm still not too fond of the setting, as I've always been partial to Low Magic Dark Fantasy and AoS is basically a extremely high magic high fantasy setting. But it is beginning to grow on me.

Also, my eldest Young Ward begged and pleaded with me to get her a Sylvaneth (read: wood elves and tree-people) army last year and she's been growing it ever since... and my youngest Young Ward seems kinda fascinated by the Nighthaunt (read: oodles of ghosts) army and she might be getting a proper army of her own for her tenth birthday next summer. How can I be mad at any game that let's me play toy soldiers with my kids?
BARON wrote:I'm talking batgirl with batgirl. I love you internet.
Batgirl III

Wave Serpent

Post by Batgirl III »

Eldar Wave Serpent Transport
Warhammer 40,000 Equipment
Equipment Level 16-19[/b] ( 80-91 PP )

The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer wrote:Eldar transports are swift and highly many erable, but weak, and their inferior armor is easily penetrated by a well-placed missile or las-blast. Fear not the weapons of the enemy, for they are corrupt, and their corruption makes them fragile. Destroy them with your pure-shot.
VEHICLE TRAITS
Size: Huge [ 2 EP ]
Strength: 10 [ 2 EP ]
Speed: - [ 0 EP ]
Defense: 6 [ 10 EP ]
Toughness: 12 [ 3 EP]

VEHICLE POWERS
Armored Hull Impervious Toughness 5 [ 5 EP ]
Skimmer Flight 7[/b] (250 MPH; F: Check Required [Initiative DC 12]) [ 12 EP ]
Targeting Matrix Enhanced Advantage 2 (Improved Aim, Move-By Action) [ 2 EP ]
Transport Enhanced Ability 1 (+1 Strength; F: Limited to Lifting) [ 1 EP ]
Vox Link Communication 3 (Radio: Long Range; E: Subtle [1]; F: Limited to Eldar from same Craftworld) [ 10 PP ]
Serpent Shield Immunity 20 (Ranged Attacks [20]; F: Limited to Half-Effect) [ 10 EP ]
AE: Wave Blast Damage 8 (E: Area [120' Cone]; F: Unreliable [Single Use; 2]); Enhanced Advantage 2 (Precise Attack [Close; Cover and Concealment]) [ 1 EP ]
Turret-Mounted Twin-Linked Shuriken Cannons Damage 6 (E: Dynamic [1], Improved Critical [4], Multiattack, Ranged; F: Diminished Range [1]) [ 22 EP ]
DAE: Hull-Mounted Twin-Linked Shuriken Catapults Damage 6 (E: Improved Critical [3], Multiattack, Ranged; F: Diminished Range [2]) [ 2 EP ]

VEHICLE OPTIONS
The Wave Serpent Tank may replace its Turret-Mounted Twin-Linked Shuriken Catapults with one of the following:
DAE: Twin-Linked Bright Lances Damage 6 (E: Improved Critical [1], Penetrating [4], Ranged); Weaken Toughness 8 (E: Ranged; F: Affects Only Objects, Instant Recovery) [ +0 EP ]
DAE: Twin-Linked Eldar Missile Launchers (Krak) Damage 5[/b] (E: Area [30' Burst], Penetrating [5], Ranged) [ +0 EP ]
with AE: Twin-Linked Eldar Missile Launchers (Plasma) Damage 5[/b] (E: Area [30' Burst], Improved Critical [4], Extended Range [1], Ranged) [ +0 EP ]
DAE: Twin-Linked Scatter Lasers Damage 5 (E: Area [5x60' Line], Extended Range [1], Ranged) [ +0 EP ]
DAE: Twin-Linked Starcannons Damage 6 (E: Improved Critical [4], Penetrating [4], Ranged, Split [1]) [ +0 EP ]

The Wave Serpent may exchange its Hull-Mounted Twin-Linked Shuriken Catapults with:
Hull-Mounted Shuriken Cannon Damage 6 (E: Dynamic [1], Improved Critical [1], Multiattack, Ranged; F: Diminished Range [1]) [ +0 EP ]

VEHICLE UPGRADES
The Wave Serpent Tank may be upgraded with any of the following:
Holo-Fields Concealment 5 (All Visual, All Radio; F: Partial) [ +5 EP ]
Spirit Stones Immunity 2 (Critical Hits [2]) [ +2 EP ]
Star Engines Flight 2 (Stacks with Skimmer for 1,000 MPH; F: Concentration) [ +2 EP ]
Vectored Engines Movement 1 (Safe Fall) [ +2 EP ]

Background:
The Wave Serpent is the Craftworld Eldar's main troop transport. Based upon the Falcon grav-tank chassis, it uses powerful anti-gravitic engines to deliver its cargo of Guardians and Aspect Warriors to any part of the battlefield. Its ability to travel all but the smallest Webway routes, and the tremendous speed with which it can operate, puts the Wave Serpent as possibly the best troop transport in the galaxy.

Mini-Rant:
The Wave Serpent (in)famously didn't have a model produced for it in-house by Games Workshop until 2004, despite being the primary troop transport for the faction. So unless you happened to have picked up one of the models built under license by ArmorCast in the early Nineties you were out-of-luck. They didn't even have sketches of them in the Third or Fourth Edition Eldar codices making scratch-builds a tricky prospect for new players... Since by this time, GW was doing their best to flush ArmorCast down the memory hole. When an official GW store opened near my hometown early into Third Edition the staff tried repeatedly to tell my friend he couldn't use his ArmorCast stuff... They'd never heard of the company! These same guys went absolutely gaga when I brought in my Squats army. Ahh, the joys of being an old grey-bearded grognard who's been in the hobby longer than the staff has bee alive.

When Citadel finally did design and sell a Wave Serpent model, they kinda cheated and just took the basic hull of the Falcon Grav-Tank, glued some fiddly bits to the front fins, and redesigned the turret. They amended the fluff to call it a variant of the other tank's chassis... But I miss the organic lines and vaguely sailing-vessel look of the original. ArmorCast stuff pops up on eBay every now and again, there is also a grey market of "garage casting" where people sell molds of their originals. I'm always fighting a temptation to buy one... And I don't even play Eldar!
Batgirl III

Re: Warhammer 40,000 (Warp Spider, Wave Serpent)

Post by Batgirl III »

Eldar Falcon Grav-Tank
Equipment Level 15-18 ( 75-86 EP )

VEHICLE TRAITS

VEHICLE POWERS
Armored Hull Impervious Toughness 7 [ 7 EP ]
Skimmer Flight 8[/b] (500 MPH; F: Check Required [Initiative DC 12]) [ 14 EP ]
Vox Link Communication 3 (Radio: Long Range; E: Subtle [1]; F: Limited to Eldar from same Craftworld) [ 10 PP ]
Turret-Mounted Twin-Linked Shuriken Cannon Damage 6 (E: Dynamic [1], Improved Critical [3], Multiattack, Ranged; F: Diminished Range [1]) [ 21 EP ]
DAE: Turret-Mounted Pulse Laser Damage 5 (E: Extended Range [1], Multiattack, Penetrating [4], Ranged) [ 2 EP ]
DAE: Hull-Mounted Twin-Linked Shuriken Catapults Damage 6 (E: Improved Critical [3], Multiattack, Ranged; F: Diminished Range [2]) [ 2 EP ]

VEHICLE OPTIONS
The Falcon Grav-Tank may replace its Turret-Mounted Shuriken Cannon with one of the following:
DAE: Turret-Mounted Bright Lance Damage 6 (E: Penetrating [4], Ranged); Weaken Toughness 8 (E: Ranged; F: Affects Only Objects, Instant Recovery) [ +0 EP ]
DAE: Turret-Mounted Eldar Missile Launchers (Krak) Damage 5 (E: Area [30' Burst], Penetrating [4], Ranged) [ +0 EP ]
with AE: Turret-Mounted Eldar Missile Launcher (Plasma) Damage 5 (E: Area [30' Burst], Improved Critical [3], Extended Range [1], Ranged) [ +0 EP ]
DAE: Turret-Mounted Scatter Laser Damage 5 (E: Area [5x60' Line], Ranged) [ +0 EP ]
DAE: Turret-Mounted Starcannon Damage 6 (E: Improved Critical [3], Penetrating [4], Ranged, Split [1]) [ +0 EP ]

The Falcon Grav-Tank may exchange its Hull-Mounted Twin-Linked Shuriken Catapults with:
Hull-Mounted Shuriken Cannon Damage 6 (E: Dynamic [1], Improved Critical [1], Multiattack, Ranged; F: Diminished Range [1]) [ +0 EP ]

VEHICLE UPGRADES
The Falcon Grav-Tank may be upgraded with any of the following:
Star Engines Flight 2 (Stacks with Skimmer for 2,000 MPH; F: Concentration) [ +2 EP ]

Background:
The Falcon Grav-Tank is a versatile vehicle used by the Eldar both as a transport and main battle tank. Its name is a rough translation of Faolchu, who in Eldar mythology was the consort of the Great Hawk and during the War in Heaven retrieved the sword Anaris from Vaul, thereby enabling Eldanesh to continue his combat with Khaine. This principle of delivering the sword is represented in the Falcon's design, taking the fight to the enemy and retrieving beleaguered troops if the combat becomes too fierce.

The anti-gravitic generators which give the Falcon its amazing speed and agility are prime examples of the Eldar's technological mastery. Thanks to these powerful devices a Falcon can achieve speeds of up to 800 KPH and soar to altitudes much higher than the equivalent Imperial craft, giving it limited flight capability. The Falcon's crew of pilot and gunner will themselves be veteran pilots, having learned their craft either on Eldar Jetbikes or along a similar Path, and take full advantage of these abilities, hiding within cloud cover only to swoop down on their pre-selected targets at high speed to deliver death and destruction.
Batgirl III

Ranger Up!

Post by Batgirl III »

ELDAR RANGERS
Warhamer 40,0000 Character
Power Level 8 ( 120 PP )

Helem Bocsh, Imperial Envoy wrote:Contact with alien races always renews ones faith in humanity. It is my belief that foreign travel narrows the mind wonderfully.
ABILITIES
Strength 2
Stamina 3
Agility 2
Dexterity 2
Fighting 5
Intellect 0
Awareness 2
Presence 0

SKILLS
Acrobatics 6 (+8), Athletics 4 (+6), Close Combat [Unarmed] 3 (+8), Expertise [Survival] 5 (+5), Perception 6 (+8), Ranged Combat [Eldar Weapons] 8 (+11), Stealth 8 (+10)

ADVANTAGES
Accurate Attack, Assessment, Defensive Roll (2), Equipment (5), Evasion (2), Hide in Plain Sight, Improved Aim, Improved Defense, Improved Iniative (2), Move-By Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack (Ranged, Cover; 1), Uncanny Dodge

POWERS
Eldar Physiology [ 9 PP Total ]
Long-Lived Enhanced Advantage 2 (Eidetic Memory, Well-Informed); Immunity 1 (Aging [1]) [ 3 PP ]
Hypercognition Quickness 3 (Mental: One Minute/Six Seconds; Physical: 12 Seconds/Six Seconds; F: Limited to Mental [Two Ranks]) [ 2 PP ]
Inhuman Grace Leaping 1 (15'); Speed 1 (4 MPH) [ 2 PP ]
Keen Eyesight Senses 1 (Visual: Extended [1], Ultravision [1]) [ 2 PP ]

Advanced Training [ 4 PP Total ]
Pathfinders Movement 2 (Sure-Footed, Trackless) [ 4 PP ]

Xenos Mesh Armor Device ( 25 PP Base; F: Removable) [ 20 PP Total ]
Auto-Senses Senses 4 (Visual: Direction Sense [1], Distance Sense [1], Infravision [1], Time Sense [1]) [ 4 PP ]
Psycho-Plastic Plating Protection 5 [ 5 PP ]
Environmentally Sealed Immunity 5 (Environmental Cold [1], Environmental Heat [1], Radiation [1]; Suffocation Effects [2]) [ 5 PP ]
Vox Link Communication 3 (Radio: Long Range; E: Subtle [2]; F: Limited to Eldar from same Craftworld) [ 11 PP ]

EQUIPMENT ( 25 EP )
Chameleoline Cloak Concealment 4 (All Visual; F: Blending) [ 4 EP ]
Ranger Long Rifle Damage 5 (E: Extended Range [3], Improved Critical [2], Penetrating [3], Ranged, Subtle [1]; F: Activation [Move, -1]) [ 18 EP ]
AE: Eldar Laspistol Damage 5 (E: Penetrating [2], Ranged) [ 1 EP ]
AE: Plasma Grenade Damage 5 (R: Area [30' Burst], Ranged) [ 1 EP ]
AE: Krak Grenade Damage 8 (F: Penetrating [5], Reach [1], Triggered [timer]) [ 1 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (6) Base 4
Parry: (6) Base 1
Fortitude: (6) Base 3
Toughness: (8/10) ——
Will: (8) Base 7

WORKSHEET
Attack: 8 Effect: 2 Total: 10 (Unarmed)
Attack: 11 Effect: 5 Total: 16 (Ranger Long Rifle)
Attack: 11 Effect: 5 Total: 16 (Eldar Laspistol)
Attack: —— Effect: 5 Total: 5 (Plasma Grenade)
Attack: —— Effect: 8 Total: 8 (Krak Grenade)
Dodge: 6 Tough: 8/10 Total: 14/16
Parry: 6 Tough: 8/10 Total: 14/16
Fort: 6 Will: 8 Total: 14

ABILITIES [ 32 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 20 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 20 pp ] +
POWERS [ 33 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 15 pp ] =
120 PP TOTAL

Background:
The Rangers of the Eldar are unparalleled scouts and expert marksmen. Although they adopt a nomadic lifestyle to escape the rigors of the Eldar path, most Outcasts remain loyal to their craftworlds and traditions. They take on the mantle of the Ranger, and often chose to accept a mission from their Seers so that they can continue to serve their people in a useful fashion. Many die, alone and forgotten. Some fall from grace and become consumed by their dark passions, while others manage to exorcise their wanderlust and eventually return to their craftworld. They investigate alien planets, search for lost webway gates, explore new maiden worlds, and hunt down those who would hard their craftworlds. Sometimes Rangers are sent to recover lost artifacts, or retrieve the spirit stone from the corpse of a fallen warrior. Their greatest duty, however, is vigilance, keeping a close eye upon potential foes and reporting any source of danger to the craftworld.

Rangers wear a practical costume derived from the Exodite worlds, and can be recognized easily by their weather-beaten and well-traveled appearance. Most characteristic of all is the long chameleoline cloak they wear, a sophisticated but hard-wearing garment that allows a Ranger to merge seamlessly into the environment. In battle, a craftworld's Rangers will often gather into small groups to take up commanding positions on the battlefield. Blending in with their surrounding, they use their long rifles to deadly effect, their energy bolts finding the eye sockets and neck joints of even the most heavily armored troops.
Batgirl III

Fire Prism

Post by Batgirl III »

Fire Prism Grav-Tank
Equipment Level 17-20 ( 85-96 PP )

VEHICLE TRAITS

VEHICLE POWERS
Skimmer Flight 7[/b] (250 MPH; F: Check Required [Initiative DC 12]) [ 12 EP ]
Prism Cannon Damage 10 (E: Dynamic [1], Extended Range [4], Improved Critical [3], Penetrating [10], Ranged; (F: Activation [Move, -1]) [ 37 EP ]

VEHICLE OPTIONS
? The Fire Prism Grav-Tank may exchange its Hull-Mounted Twin-Linked Shuriken Catapults with:

VEHICLE UPGRADES
? The Fire Prism Grav-Tankmay be upgraded with any of the following:
Star Engines Flight 2 (Stacks with Skimmer for 1,000 MPH; F: Concentration) [ +2 EP ]

Background:
The Fire Prism is an Eldar grav-tank based on the Falcon chassis. A dedicated anti-tank variant, the Fire Prism sacrifices its ability to transport troops for superior firepower while retaining the ability to move at high speed. Fire Prisms play a key part in Eldar armoured warfare tactics, outflanking the enemy and attacking from multiple directions to break up their cohesion.

The centerpiece of the Fire Prism is its Prism Cannon, a marvel of Eldar technology and understanding. This laser weapon has twice the range of the Pulse Laser or Scatter Laser, allowing it to hit targets just visible on the horizon, but is powerful enough to punch through the thickest armour or even combine with other cannons for increased firepower. The Prism Cannon can also discharged a disperse beam capable of cutting down entire squads of enemy infantry, while sophisticated tracking arrays make the Fire Prism a potent threat to fast-moving aircraft.
BriarThrone

Re: Warhammer 40,000 (Fire Prism)

Post by BriarThrone »

FYI: I'm currently building/painting the Soul Wars set. So awesome. The Nighthaunts are epic. The Sacrosanct Chamber is incredible. Highly recommended. Just make sure to trim the push-fit pegs.
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

The Eldar really have the nicest-looking army in the game, even dated as it is. Love all those swooping lines.
Batgirl III

Post by Batgirl III »

The Phoenix Lord models are close to twenty-five years old, dating back to the two-piece press-mold pewter days. Yet they were some of the most fluid, flowing, and dynamic infantry models in the range right up until a year or two ago! Jes Goodwin is a goddamn demigod, that's all there is too it.
Batgirl III

Night-weaver! Night-weaver! We know how to do it!

Post by Batgirl III »

NIGHT SPINNER ARTILLERY
Equipment Level 22-25 ( 110-121 EP )

Ulthos, Farseer of Alaitoc wrote:...and the Engines of Vaul will smite them, and bring fire upon them, and in agony they will depart this realm, their souls screaming into the black void that awaits their pitiful race. And with their banishment there will be peace in this place, and we will be one step further along the road we must tread.
VEHICLE TRAITS

VEHICLE POWERS
Skimmer Flight 6[/b] (120 MPH; F: Check Required [Initiative DC 11]) [ 11 EP ]
Targeting Matrix Enhanced Advantage 1 (Improved Aim) [ 1 EP ]
Doom Weaver Damage 8 (E: Area [120' Cloud; x4], Extended Range [1], Indirect [3], Penetrating [5], Ranged, Secondary Effect) [ 65 EP ]
AE: Hull-Mounted Twin-Linked Shuriken Catapults Damage 6 (E: Improved Critical [3], Multiattack, Ranged; F: Diminished Range [2]) [ 1 EP ]

VEHICLE OPTIONS
The Night Spinner may exchange its Hull-Mounted Twin-Linked Shuriken Catapults with:
Hull-Mounted Shuriken Cannon Damage 6 (E: Improved Critical [1], Multiattack, Ranged; F: Diminished Range [1]) [ +0 EP ]

VEHICLE UPGRADES
The Night Spinner may be upgraded with any of the following:

Background:
The Night Spinner is an Eldar grav-tank based on the Falcon chassis. One of the most curious and also most accomplished Eldar designs, the Night Spinner is a mobile artillery vehicle designed to provide indirect fire support to fast moving Eldar attacks. The Night Spinner's primary armament are twin-linked Doomweavers, deadly Monofilament Weaponry which launch a large web of deadly wire high into the air.

The Doomweaver is an Eldar weapon mounted on the Night Spinner grav-tank. It is a variation of the Shadow Weaver. It works by launching a large web of deadly wire high into the air. The web is made up of thousands of miles of incredibly strong, monofilament thread that can shear through any substance, including hardened tank armor. Once launched the web floats ghostly downwards, shredding any victims caught beneath it. Upon hitting the ground the web forms a barrier that may dissect anyone crossing through it, but will eventually settle into a solid blanket that can be moved over safely. The Eldar refer to the threads as the Chain of Vaul, after the unbreakable bonds in Eldar legend.

Mini-Rant:
The Night Spinner was originally introduced as part of the 6 mm scale Epic 40,000 game line. At that scale, long-range area denial artillery was a very useful addition to the Eldar's lighting fast maneuver warfare. The tank hasn't been very popular in the 28 mm scale Warhammer 40,000 game, since the Eldar have the speed to close with the enemy quickly enough that they don't need to worry about counter-battery fire to suppress enemy artillery and the table is small enough that area denial isn't necessary either. It's still a very pretty model, though, so worth adding to your collection as a fun modelling project once you've got the basics sorted... and if you play the occasional "Apocalypse" game on an over-sized table, it'll catch a lot of people unawares.
Batgirl III

Eldar Autarch

Post by Batgirl III »

AUTARCH
Warhammer 40,000 Character
Power Level 12 ( 180 PP )

Anthrillien Morningchild, Autarch of Yme-Loc wrote:Only when you have soared through the morning skies on wings of flame can you understand the Hawk. Only when you have fallen screaming upon those who know they are already dead can you understand the Banshee. Only when you have annihilated those who would oppose you can you truly understand the power of the Dragon. And only one who has travelled but ultimately turned away from each of these paths can understand the Autarch.
ABILITIES
Strength 2
Stamina 4
Agility 3
Dexterity 3
Fighting 8
Intellect 1
Awareness 2
Presence 2

SKILLS
Acrobatics 5 (+8), Athletics 6 (+8), Close Combat [Unarmed] 2 (+10), Diplomacy 3 (+5), Expertise [Path of the Avenger] 4 (+5), Expertise [Path of the Banshee] 4 (+5), Expertise [Path of the Dragon] 4 (+5), Expertise [Path of the Hawk] 4 (+5), Expertise [Path of the Reaper] 4 (+5), Expertise [Tactics] 4 (+5), Insight 3 (+5), Intimidation 6 (+8), Perception 8 (+10), Persuasion 3 (+5), Ranged Combat [Eldar Weapons] 9 (+12), Stealth 2 (+5), Technology 4 (+5), Vehicles 5 (+8)

ADVANTAGES
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Assessment, Benefit (Ambidextrous, Status [2]; 3), Close Attack (3), Defensive Roll (3), Diehard, Equipment (9), Evasion (2), Improved Defense, Improved Iniative (2), Inspire (3), Leadership, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Seize Initiative, Takedown (2), Teamwork, Uncanny Dodge

POWERS
Eldar Physiology [ 9 PP Total ]
Long-Lived Enhanced Advantage 2 (Eidetic Memory, Well-Informed); Immunity 1 (Aging [1]) [ 3 PP ]
Hypercognition Quickness 3 (Mental: One Minute in Six Seconds; Physical: 12 Seconds in Six Seconds; F: Limited to Mental [Two Ranks]) [ 2 PP ]
Inhuman Grace Leaping 1 (15'); Speed 1 (4 MPH) [ 2 PP ]
Keen Eyesight Senses 1 (Visual: Extended [1], Ultravision [1]) [ 2 PP ]

Dire Avenger Armor ( 30 PP Base; F: Removable) [ 24 PP Total ]
Auto-Senses Senses 4 (Visual: Direction Sense [1], Distance Sense [1], Infravision [1], Time Sense [1]) [ 4 PP ]
Psycho-Plastic Plating Protection 5 (E: Impervious [5]) [ 10 PP ]
Environmentally Sealed Immunity 5 (Environmental Cold [1], Environmental Heat [1], Radiation [1]; Suffocation Effects [2]) [ 5 PP ]
Vox Link Communication 3 (Radio: Long Range; E: Subtle [2]; F: Limited to Eldar from same Craftworld) [ 11 PP ]

EQUIPMENT ( 45 EP )
Arsenal [ 19 EP Total ]
Master-Crafted Power Sword Damage 7 (Strength-Based; E: Accurate [2], Improved Critical [2], Penetrating [5]) [ 16 EP ]
AE: Master-Crafted Shuriken Pistol Damage 4 (E: Accurate [2], Improved Critical [1], Multiattack, Ranged) [ 1 EP ]
AE: Melta Bomb Damage 10 (E: Penetrating [5], Reach [1], Triggered [timer; 1]; F: Inaccurate [1], Check Required [Technology, DC11]) [ 1 EP ]
AE: Plasma Grenade Damage 5 (E: Area [30' Burst], Ranged) [ 1 EP ]

Banshee Mask [ 20 EP Total ]
Psychosonic Amplifiers Affliction 5 (Resist: Insight; Recovery: Will; Conditions: Impaired, Disabled; E: Alternate Resistance, Area [Auditory Perception], Sustained; F: Limited to Two Degrees) [ 20 EP ]

Swooping Hawk Wings [ 6 EP Total ]
Swooping Hawk Wings Leaping 6 (900' F: Wings); Movement 1 (Safe Fall) [ 5 EP ]
AE: Flight 4 (30 MPH; E: Subtle [1]; F: Wings) [ 1 EP ]

DEFENSE
Dodge (12) Base 9
Parry: (10) Base 2
Fortitude: (10) Base 6
Toughness: (9/12) ——
Will: (10) Base 2

WORKSHEET
Attack: 13 Effect: 2 Total: 15 (Unarmed)
Attack: 15 Effect: 9 Total: 24 (Power Sword)
Attack: 16 Effect: 4 Total: 20 (Shuriken Pistol)
Attack: 10 Effect: 10 Total: 20 (Melta Bomb)
Attack: —— Effect: 5 Total: 5 (Plasma Grenade)
Dodge: 12 Tough: 9/12 Total: 21/24
Parry: 10 Tough: 9/12 Total: 19/22
Fort: 10 Will: 10 Total: 20

ABILITIES [ 50 pp ] +
SKILLS [ 40 pp ] +
ADVANTAGES [ 38 pp ] +
POWERS [ 33 pp ] +
DEFENSES [ 19 pp ] =
180 PP TOTAL

Background:
An Autarch is the supreme commander of an Eldar war host, having an exceptional understanding of the art of war and also the many Eldar Paths.

They are held with high esteem by both Seers and warriors alike with each Autarch having mastered many paths across their centuries-long lifespans. This includes one or more facets of the Warrior Paths and at some point in their lives, they begin to show a passion for the intricacies of command as well as strategy. They do not believe in victory being achieved by simple martial excellence in the heat of the battlefield but that the true path lies in holding a wider vision whilst directing a war host in achieving the most lethal as well as efficient manner. Thus, they walk the Path of Command that leads to a burning obsession where they see each mission and battle being part of a much grander battle plan. Inspiration and guidance comes to them from the mythical leaders of the ancient Houses such as Eldanesh, Ulthanash and Bierellian.

The insight of an Autarch provides them with unparalleled strategic capability as they know of each speciality of the Eldar way of war to such an extent that even an Exarch cannot match them. This is because an Exarch is obsessed with only one facet of a conflict and thus forever bound to it, which prevents them from ever hoping to achieve the heights of an Autarch. Under their guidance, an Eldar war host can turn out to be a well-honed machine where each component works in perfect synchronicity with its other parts. Though serving as generals, Autarchs are not relegated to simple command and when the bloodlust calls to them, they are quite capable of entering into the battlefield in order to spearhead assaults, duel with enemy leaders or destroy the war machines of their foes with contemptuous ease. In such times, winged Autarchs soar at the head of their forces where they swoop down into the battlefield in order to change the course of the battle with a well-placed strike.

This makes them different from Seers who act as a Craftworld's guides and counsellors; Autarchs are looked to during the times when the Eldar seek powerful leaders as well as masters. They are sought when the Seers deem the Eldar's fate being led to war and Autarchs are called upon for to their wartime leadership. Their skill, cunning and experience are unrivalled and they lead their fellows into battle where they impart to them every lesson of war. They are great leaders on the field of battle, which is the only place where they lead the Eldar as they have nothing but fire coursing through their veins.

This means that Autarchs do not permanently retain their rank; when the time for war has passed, they return to their traditional rank of Exarch, and their traditional place as leaders of their Aspect shrines. Autarchs only ever assume power when they believe their path calls them towards war. It is only through sheer exertion of their will that they assume the Autarchy and gather warriors about them to follow this path. Among most Eldar, the Autarchy is considered a horrifying and dangerous concept as any of their kind can be entirely consumed by it. Thus, at best, an Autarch is guided by the Seers and at worst, they are guided only by the Path of War.
Jabroniville

Re: Warhammer 40,000 (Night Spinner, Autarch)

Post by Jabroniville »

Do Eldar Characters suffer from the usual problems Elves do in Fantasy? Like, being extraordinarily damaging, accurate and skilled in combat, but lacking even rudimentary Toughness? Though to be fair, Elves can have REALLY good armor, which helps a lot (I usually play High Toughness, Low Armor armies; going from Orcs & Lizardmen to Dark Elves was a BIG changeover).
Jabroniville

Post by Jabroniville »

Batgirl III wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:56 pm But, let's be clear, Open and Narrative Play styles had been around forever. Just about all of the grognards were doing it decades ago. You and your buddy got bored, so you day-dreamed a special scenario that skewed the rules in an interesting way... Or you and your buddy got really bored (and possibly stoned) and you just threw random shit at each other for giggles: "One goblin versus one dragon! Go!" What threw people off with Age of Sigmar was that the original rulebook dealt only with Open Play and the first couple supplements only addressed Open Play and Narrative Play. For about a year after AoS launched there were no official rules for Matched Play.
Oops- missed this entire post somehow.

That's interesting- I'd mostly just heard through my friend what had been going on. I wasn't the hugest fan of Warhammer lore, but their throwing the entire setting in the trash and revamping it with "Fantasy Space Marines" as the main heroic army really pissed me off, so hearing that it was all about "Open Play" was the final straw, so I never checked it out. Plus, I mean... they changed all the names for the sole purpose of having Copywrite Laws. That's lame. ORRUKS? SYLVANETH?

APPARENTLY it didn't sell so hot at first, according to many retailers. GW made a shit-ton from the Total War game (hilariously, much like DC Adventures, the highly-anticipated game came out RIGHT when the entire setting was tossed in the trash), but Age of Sigmar wasn't so hot. But apparently they're making some money from it- the Aquatic Elves army they have looks quite cool.
This was finally fixed with the release of the General's Handbook. GW's current plan with AoS is that the core rules will be just Open Play, most supplements (e.g., scenario books and army books) will be built around Narrative Play, and all the rules for Matched Play will be contained in the General's Handbook. Also, the General's Handbook is going to be updated and replaced once per year. That's actually an amazing thing to see from GW as it means they can (and have already done) adjust unit point values, unit minimum and maximum sizes, tweak certain faction-level rules (e.g., magic items) on an annual basis. You won't have to wait years and years until an Armybook gets re-released to see much needed balancing take place.
That's good- the speed of exchange was so awful for the old game.
Batgirl III

Re: Warhammer 40,000 (Night Spinner, Autarch)

Post by Batgirl III »

Eldar of all flavors are generally summarized by the maxim "Fast, but Fragile."

In the war game, most Eldar infantry units have Toughness 3 and a 5+ Save. This means that the typical small arm, like a Strength 4 Boltgun will cause a wound on a 3+ and they'll fail most of their saves... Compare that to a Space Marine with Toughness 4 and a 3+ Save; When they get his by a Strength 4 Boltgun is will only wound on a 4+ and pass the majority of their saves.