[IC] The New Mythos: Trials and Tribulations

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
pathfinderq1

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: Twists and Turns

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:38 am Abigail lips part slightly with a noise of recognition passing through them. "Oh. You're that kid, the ghost-whisperer."

Her expression pinches up after acknowledging the girl, the detective giving an inscrutable look towards Jenny's state of dress. "Not really what I expected."

There's a tingle in the back of Jenny's mind, which would cause her to look back down the street out of instinct. Yet there was nobody else on the street right now but them, dead or alive. When she looked back to the detectives there was a flicker as for the briefest moment's she met Echo's eye just in time for him to nod and vanish. Seems something about the pair of detectives caught his interest.
Jenny Ember
HP: 1; LP: 1; Condition: Normal

Jenny nodded. "I thrive on subverting expectations- that is what my parents used to say, anyway." Her eyes looked as if she was tracking something moving farther down the street, though nothing was visible. A moment later, she blinked and her gaze focused on the others nearby. As the big detective and Velari both endorsed Cheyenne's suggestion, Jenny scrambled to follow along towards the diner.

"I guess we're going to want the biggest booth in the house..."
ichigorno

Post by ichigorno »

Eric Sams - El Tigre
H.P.: 1
Jenny nodded. "I thrive on subverting expectations- that is what my parents used to say, anyway." Her eyes looked as if she was tracking something moving farther down the street, though nothing was visible. A moment later, she blinked and her gaze focused on the others nearby. As the big detective and Velari both endorsed Cheyenne's suggestion, Jenny scrambled to follow along towards the diner.

"I guess we're going to want the biggest booth in the house..."
At this, Eric chuckles and, in a tone more befitting a favorite uncle, says, "You may be right, lil' dahlin', you may be right." He is trying to make light of the fact that he's old enough to be a father to most, if not all, of them.
Thanks, and have a nice day :)
------------------------------------------
Robert, aka I'chi'go'no
Arkrite

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: The Gathering

Post by Arkrite »

Felix Ian Xavier - Mr. FIX I.T.
HP: 1

Felix taps the recording device on his glasses then says, "A much larger vehicle."

He looks back at the giant tree man who somehow lodged himself in the back of the car and sighs, "I'll be along in a bit, I'm getting that funny feeling I'm going to have to cut a panel or two off the Mongrel and weld it back on."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

GM: I'll assume for the sake of ease, everyone is moving to the dinner.

Felix receives only miserable silence as a reply, as Raphael resigns himself to his fate. Perhaps it's for the best he didn't meet the female detective right now anyway. Speaking of her, she seems to distracted to notice Velari slide herself out of the van either, holding off that confrontation a few precious minutes longer.

She and Erics lead everyone to the little place across the way, "Aunt Anna's Amazing Ates" reads the rough alteration, in tacky lettering complete with an aesthetic that would've looked much more at home in the early 80's. There's only a smattering of patrons inside, all human. The place is in weathered condition but there are signs of recent attempts at renovation, such as a reworked and modernized register. A peppy looking teenage girl with blonde girls is swaying to the song playing from a jukebox. The artist is unfamiliar, but it's disco-beat seems at home with the retro asthetic.

"Hm? Oh! Hey Abby, Sammy! Brought some friends today?" The girl asks, familiar with the detectives using the dinner regularly for lunchbreaks.

She snorts in reply. "We'll be finding that out in a moment Beth."

"Mmm~ Well, table for, lessee..." Bethany quickly mouths the numbers as she totals you all up. "Wow! Seven, haven't had a group that big since Ricky's Birthday back in January. Well, shouldn't be a problem. Come along!"

You're all led to a booth near the back, up against the window pane that stretched the dinner's front. Your server drags a nearby free table over and up against the booth's, and then makes sure the chairs join it. She leaves it to the group to pick out their seats, though Abigail is the first one in the booth itself. Menus are placed before everyone, and the girl claps her hands together with a smile.

When people are seated, she patiently waits to get some orders in for beverages. "Okay! I'll bring everyone drinks to start you off, think about what you want while I do that alright? Behave yourselves now~"

With that you're left by yourselves. There's nobody in the tables or booths next to yours, giving you a sense of privacy.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
ichigorno

Post by ichigorno »

Eric Sams - El Tigre
"Hm? Oh! Hey Abby, Sammy! Brought some friends today?" The girl asks, familiar with the detectives using the dinner regularly for lunchbreaks.

She snorts in reply. "We'll be finding that out in a moment Beth."
Eric turns his head away and waves a dismissive hand at Abby's comment. "Let's hope so, Beth," he replies with a warm smile. "You can never have too many friends, right?"
"Mmm~ Well, table for, lessee..." Bethany quickly mouths the numbers as she totals you all up. "Wow! Seven, haven't had a group that big since Ricky's Birthday back in January. Well, shouldn't be a problem. Come along!"

You're all led to a booth near the back, up against the window pane that stretched the dinner's front. Your server drags a nearby free table over and up against the booth's, and then makes sure the chairs join it. She leaves it to the group to pick out their seats, though Abigail is the first one in the booth itself. Menus are placed before everyone, and the girl claps her hands together with a smile.

When people are seated, she patiently waits to get some orders in for beverages. "Okay! I'll bring everyone drinks to start you off, think about what you want while I do that alright? Behave yourselves now~"
Eric waits for the rest to sit, taking a seat at the outside, so as to be ready in case swift action is required. Not that he's expecting it, his experience on the force has made him him unwilling to get himself trapped into an inner seat when he needs to get up quickly. To Beth, he says, again smiling warmly, "I'll have a large root beer."

Once Beth has everyone's drink orders and leaves, he says, "This drug... is a nightmare."
Robert, aka I'chi'go'no
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Jenny Ember

Jenny slides into one of the seats in the booth as well, almost immediately slouching a bit in her seat- for a drink she simply orders a Coke.

She nodded in acknowledgement at Eric's opening statement. One hand brushed the lapel of her coat, touching a small figurine of a fat man with an elephant's head. ""Too true", she muttered, looking around the table at each of the others. "This case, we were hired- but it has a personal aspect for some of us. We WANT to help, we want to do something about it." She paused, this time looking at Abby and Eric.

"I'm not sure how long the two of you have been working on this, what leads you have. But we had some papers that led us to the bar- and then we saw that guy in your car, and we know he is involved. And now he is gone, and I'm not sure if we got anything else out of the bar. Did we?," she asked, looking at those who had been inside the bar...
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Abigail narrows her eyes once she noticed Velari was part of the group, but chose to set that aside for now and focus. "We've been working this a week now. A client came by and hired us to help find her daughter, and it's turned into this whole thing. We're pretty sure she's connected to Source, and by extension the Mazerunners. Really all we need is to find her and we're done, but we've not manged to find her. The kid I had with me says he knew her, but there was nobody left at the spot they hung out around. Some people scared everyone off it seems."
------------
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 8:11 am Abigail narrows her eyes once she noticed Velari was part of the group, but chose to set that aside for now and focus. "We've been working this a week now. A client came by and hired us to help find her daughter, and it's turned into this whole thing. We're pretty sure she's connected to Source, and by extension the Mazerunners. Really all we need is to find her and we're done, but we've not manged to find her. The kid I had with me says he knew her, but there was nobody left at the spot they hung out around. Some people scared everyone off it seems."
Jenny Ember

Jenny nodded at that, her lips quirked in a brief grin. "Plenty of scary people on every side of this, so far," she said, then paused to look around the table once again, in case any of the others wanted to chime in. "Must be nice to have parents who care enough to hire private detectives..."

She closed her eyes for a brief moment. "So, this girl... Do you have a picture of her? I have this sinking feeling that I'm going to have to go out tonight and talk to some of my sources in person, unless some kind of clue just drops out of the sky, and I could ask about her as well, get a personal angle going. If not, do you have any personal effects? Or hair, fingernail clippings, anything like that? I might be able to get you at least some kind of an answer in fairly short order." She waves one hand lazily through the air- and one could almost see a tracery of light as it moved....
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

"Runaways have this tendency to assume nobody will notice if they just up and leave. Someone always does inevitably, one way or another." She sighed, before fishing to a pocket inside her coat. A square folded slip of paper is removed, and she quickly unfurls it and sets it on the table. After making a vague effort to smooth out the creases she moves it to the point where both tables meet, giving everyone a chance to look it over.

There's a young woman with short raven black hair and emerald eyes scowling at whoever took it. There's something familiar about her to the four who raided the abandoned hideout the week prior. "Antonia Rauch, nineteen years old. Mundane. No schooling, unemployed, and no boyfriend as far as her parents were aware. Suffered from general anxiety, they told us she was started smoking and doing drugs a few years ago as a way to escape from it all. Last month her parents caught her using magic. Only one way a non-sorcerer can do that."
------------
Arkrite

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: The Gathering

Post by Arkrite »

Felix Ian Xavier - Mr. FIX I.T.
HP: 1

"Yeah, use self powering magical artifacts. Or bind yourself to an elemental spirit. Or create items to help focus your own latent powers," He pauses, "Or train under a trained sorcerer to discover any hidden powers."

"Oh, right, or the inhaler drugs that burn you apart from the inside. That's also a thing,"
He says nodding, "Seriously though, that stuff will destroy you from the inside out. Don't do it."
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Cheyenne
HP: 1; Condition: hunter

Chey had mostly been quietly eating lunch while feeding Copper strips of a rare steak shed ordered for him. She perked up though when the mazerunners hideout was mentioned
There's a young woman with short raven black hair and emerald eyes scowling at whoever took it. There's something familiar about her to the four who raided the abandoned hideout the week prior. "Antonia Rauch, nineteen years old. Mundane. No schooling, unemployed, and no boyfriend as far as her parents were aware. Suffered from general anxiety, they told us she was started smoking and doing drugs a few years ago as a way to escape from it all. Last month her parents caught her using magic. Only one way a non-sorcerer can do that."
"Probably our fault if shes on the run. We got clued into a source house a week or so back, cleared it out." she said cooly as she described the events in detail including what theyd found of the minotaur and other evidence.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

While Cheyenne elaborates Beth comes around again and deposits drinks, as well as taking any orders for food. The detective takes a heavy sip of her black coffee while she listens, holding the lip against her chin when not drinking. "Paints a heavy picture. Confirms what we thought about the bar, patrons there have ties to the Mazerunners. From what you describe about the execution scene, and the way everyone left in a hurry... I'm betting they smelled a rat, and wanted out of there before some boys in blue stopped by. If they did, they probably never found the way in."

She tapped her index finger against her cup a few times, humming in thought. "Sound about right to you, Sammy?"
------------
ichigorno

Post by ichigorno »

Eric Sams - El Tigre

Eric orders the big hot pastrami sub. He listens as the others talk, not liking the direction the conversation is taking. "Yeah, Abby, I'd have to agree. And from the sounds of it, those jokers have a keen as Hell sense of smell. It seems they always know when a raid is coming. It's maddening. It's like the mazerunners have a crystal ball or something, telling them when a raid is coming so they can clear out." Eric sighs and shakes his head. "The police are at a total standstill."
Robert, aka I'chi'go'no
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Jenny Ember

Jenny leaned forward to look at the picture- and then stared at it for a while. There but for the grace of certain Powers went she...

She listened while Cheyenne related the story of the raid- she had heard a bit, but this was the most coherent picture she had of the event so far.

When the waitress got around to her, she smiled and called for pancakes- amended a moment later to "A pancake", when a quick search of her pockets turned up a few coins and one tattered dollar bill. A moment later, she went back to staring at the picture as Abby and Eric said what they had to say. Did the picture, lying there on the table, perhaps flutter slightly in a non-existent breeze?

Once Eric was done, she spoke up again. "It only makes sense that they are using some kind of magic to protect their operation- I've seen some resistance from my sources that seems to hint at warding or concealment. So at some point we are probably going to have to fight fire with fire, as they say, to track them down." She spoke a soft phrase in some liquid-sounding language and waved one hand through the air just above the table where only the others in her group would be able to see it- and for a brief second fire danced in the air around her fingers. "But I think we might all prefer that I not do it in the middle of a diner. No need to get burned as a witch..."

>OOC: I guess we can start with a Well-Informed check to see if Jenny knows of this girl at all from out on the streets. Investigation (Well-Informed) 1d20+9= 24; roll https://orokos.com/roll/789260 . Not sure if she qualifies for a Streetwise check, so I'll hold off on that.

>OOC 2: At some point she is going to have to just break down and either do some magic or do some legwork/Gather Information- but neither of those can be done in the diner...
ichigorno

Post by ichigorno »

Eric Sams - El Tigre

Eric nods at Jenny's pyrotechnic display. "That's why the police are stymied. In the law's eyes, if it can't be seen, smelled, heard or touched, it doesn't exist." He sighs. "I'm glad I'm not a cop anymore. Private citizens are governed by fewer rules and regulations."
Robert, aka I'chi'go'no