IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Arkrite

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by Arkrite »

Escaping Vilma Merridie is easier said that done.

The little old lady insists you stay for at least one cup of tea. And then the stories of the town from long ago start, and stories of her sister and their many slice of life adventures. She's actually a serviceable storyteller, and though her stories tend to wind uncontrolled there's usually something interesting or funny just around the corner.

After two hours she looks out the window, says "Oh my, look at the time. Best be off with you, lest I talk your ears off all day."

She offers you a smile and a wave as you find yourself standing back outside on the road. The sun is still rising high, and it's an hour or so from noon.
Flynnarrel

Re: IC - Against the Cult of the Reptile God - Chapter 1: The Darkness in Orlane

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

Elves are known for their infinite reserves of patience born of a life that spans century upon century. At least that's what Aldan reminds himself every five minutes over the span of the next two hours.

After that he'll look to the group and gesture to the Temple. "I was thinking front door. Get an interview with one of the clerics. Isolate then subdue."

"But I'm open to other ideas."
Aldan says, inviting input.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn
HP: 21 AC:18

Tyragorn was polite to a fault with the old woman. She obviously needed some company and the peace surrounding them only helped his mood and optimism. "I think that sounds good."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

If there's no other input Aldan will start up the hill to the Temple. He'll observe the place - grounds and structure - before opening the temple door. He reasoned places of worship didn't lock their doors.
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Zasio Blackthorn:
Objects of Interest: Goodberries (2 - each heals 4 hp)

While Zasio didn't speak, he was none the less polite to Vilma as he took his cup of tea with a small smile and a nod of his head. The ranger was not surprised the old woman was so talkative given what they'd seen of the townspeople, and it did not hurt them to indulge her a bit.

Two hours later he is as ready to go, and is glad when Aldan leads the way out. Before leaving Zasio gives Vilma another small smile before exiting her home and quietly thanking her for her hospitality.

Aldan wrote:After that he'll look to the group and gesture to the Temple. "I was thinking front door. Get an interview with one of the clerics. Isolate then subdue."

"But I'm open to other ideas." Aldan says, inviting input.
Tyragorn wrote:"I think that sounds good."
"I agree."
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Arkrite wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:22 pm Escaping Vilma Merridie is easier said that done.

The little old lady insists you stay for at least one cup of tea. And then the stories of the town from long ago start, and stories of her sister and their many slice of life adventures. She's actually a serviceable storyteller, and though her stories tend to wind uncontrolled there's usually something interesting or funny just around the corner.

After two hours she looks out the window, says "Oh my, look at the time. Best be off with you, lest I talk your ears off all day."

She offers you a smile and a wave as you find yourself standing back outside on the road. The sun is still rising high, and it's an hour or so from noon.
Georgia, ever the social butterfly and having respect for her elders ingrained into her from an early age, eagerly and intently listens to Vilma's stories and generally has a pleasant time in the elderly lady's home.

As they are finally allowed to leave their gracious hostess, Georgia smiles and says. "If there weren't other pressing matters to attend to I'd be more than happy to let you do just that. But needs must and all that. We simply must drop by again once things in town have settled down."
Flynnarrel wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:10 pm Aldan

Elves are known for their infinite reserves of patience born of a life that spans century upon century. At least that's what Aldan reminds himself every five minutes over the span of the next two hours.

After that he'll look to the group and gesture to the Temple. "I was thinking front door. Get an interview with one of the clerics. Isolate then subdue."

"But I'm open to other ideas."
Aldan says, inviting input.
Flynnarrel wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:31 am Aldan

If there's no other input Aldan will start up the hill to the Temple. He'll observe the place - grounds and structure - before opening the temple door. He reasoned places of worship didn't lock their doors.
Georgia considered. "While we're around keep an eye on those walls for potential extra entry points in case we need to get back in after hours. We might not be able to scale them as well as those oversized lizards but with some climbing gear it might be doable."
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn

Tyragorn made sure he stayed close by Aldan's side as they approached the temple. He didn't have his hands on his weapon but he was ready to grab it if anything happened.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

In spite of the time of day, and the pleasant weather, the roads are still surprisingly empty. You make your way down the road and back around towards the temple.

As you get closer to the temple you're able to get a fairly good look out over the city. The temple, the only stone structure in the entire town, is also built on the highest piece of land in the area, a full twenty feet above the river area below. While that might not be much compared to other towns you've seen, it's a distinct difference in Orlane.

The walls are twenty feet high and are made of rough granite blocks. A close inspection shows that it could be climbed, but it wouldn't be easy, it would be slow and it certainly wouldn't be fun experience. A grappling hook, or some other climbing tools would

As you approach the gates you can see the ornately carved doors are wide open, allowing access into the courtyard. Following the broad path you can see the temple itself, which is little more than a giant granite block of a building, with no windows to be seen.

The only person in sight is what appears to be a gardener, who is listlessly attempting to maintain the grounds. It appears that his efforts have been somewhat in vain, as the ground themselves are overgrown and showing little signs of being maintained.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

"Ho there, Man." the Elven mage-robed figure calls to the landscaper. "Are you one of Merieka's Devout?"
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

The spindly weather-beaten man lets out a long sigh, slowly turns to gives Aldan a dark look, "Priests are inside."

With that he turns his back on the party and goes back to his work, muttering to himself.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

Aldan nods not able to determine if the coldness is from xenophobia or mental coercion. He shrugs and forges on inside the temple.
Shock

Post by Shock »

Tyragorn

Tyragorn frowned at the walls. Though they probably made for good defenses in a vulnerable village, high walls were hardly inviting for worshipers of Merikka. Surely they had been built before the recent troubles but maybe that was why Merikka showed so much more favor to the old woman's home than to this temple.

"Is there anyone else inside?"
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

At Tyragorn's question the muttering grows even louder as the man continues to ignore the party. The only real change is that he's far more energetic about trimming the grass with his rusty spotted sickle, and actually seems to be clearing some small bit of the overgrowth now.

The main doors of the temple are open and lead into a large chamber.

This room has a tile floor decorated with an abstract mosaic pattern in orange, tan, brown, and blue. Several tapestries decorate the walls, all depicting scenes of lush farmland and crops in various stages of maturity. Five huge elm trunks serve as columns in the room, and a statue of Merikka, carved from a solid piece of jade, is mounted on a low dais at the north end of the room.

Standing by the dais is a slim, attractive young woman wearing robes with Merikka's symbol embroidered onto them.

"Hello," She says slowly looking at the group, "I wasn't expecting travelers today. Welcome to the temple of Merikka."
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Aldan

Aldan smiles, he'd carefully phrased the following in his head to avoid any truth spells that may be in effect over the church.

"Greetings, you may call me called Aldan Tallymin; the credentials I bring are as... an Ambassador of sorts from the Golden Road Trading Company and Duke Orlais, Trademaster to his liege lord of the Northern Coasts." he says easily. Indeed, those were the credential he brought, and if anyone were to check out this back story they'd even find them valid to an extent.

"I'm informing folk that the Trading Company is considering adding Orlane as a waystation for the numerous caravans and cart routes. Such a prestigious thing would be bring many jobs and revenue to a small town such as this and the Mayor is all on board with our activities. I want to find out more about this place of worship, the higher power you are beholden to, and how we might involve each other in our respective goals." he says easily.

"Is there some place we may discuss without interruption?" he asks.

And then, as if he just realized they were there, the elf waves a dismissive hand behind him. "And this is my entourage."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

"This is as good of a place as any, beneath the eyes of the goddess," She says, a hand lingering on the base of the statue.

"Though I must say I have little idea interest our little church could hold for the Golden Road. We create nothing of value to sell, and we offer little more than the word of the goddess. And, in times of need, a safe wall to hide behind," She looks over to Aldan, "What is the Golden Road seeking?"