mrdent12

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Recovery

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
HP: 1
CND: Haunted, but fine
Form: Solid
Trauma Trigger: 1

"It will not be a simple task, but the meeting went as well as could be hoped for. Asking for anymore would risk what we got. Once we get somewhere less exposed I will give a full debrief.", remarks Diego. He kept up his character, tone and all, just in case someone was listening. While he figured they were safe enough, he didn't ant to risk it. The inside man angle was so fa working for them. That woman in a grey suit could pose a problem, but they had to risk it. A large force, even if poorly armed, would serve the cause well. It also would spread good will with those who aren't recruited. All over the world he witnessed places where the down trodden, once given the lowest levels of needs rallied to a cause. This could be that cause.

Diego turned towards John and Iona. "Did the two of you see what you needed to see?", inquired Diego. He didn't feel 100% happy about staying around, but John might see some angle he didn't. With an inside man and meet up set, he was content to sneak out in some other form if the proverbial poop hit the fan. A couple of occasions, pulling a fire alarm proved a great distraction. There was still working out how they'd get the plant out and details, but this place wasn't the place for that.
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

John Steiner
HP:1
Cnd:Normal
PP:0

Still keeping up the language of the business-meeting ruse, John nods his head at Diego. "Yeah...I'm happy enough...obviously our success will dwpend on how the react to or 'pitch'. I just hope they don't resist some of our proposals too much. That could make the whole deal a loser for us."

He didn't want to say much more. The man who's vigilance bordered on paranoia glances back down the alleyway towards the corporate building they just left. That place has too many cameras. I bet the inside is no different. Getting violent anywhere in there runs the risk of ruing the whole thing. We'll need to have some sort of emergency extraction plan in place if we blow it. In fact, I'll have to insist on it. These two 'Ascendants' have superpowers, but my body doesn't soak up bullets as well as theirs does.
Supernaturalist

Iona
HP: 3
Cnd: Normal

Iona looks to Tilly as the latter is caught between chewing and trying to communicate. "Now now...don't talk with food in your mouth." The young cyborg cannot help but smile at the corporal.

"Yes, I think thinngs went ok. We'll be scheduling another meeting in order to iron out some business details, but I beleive we have everything we need for now."

The less said here the better. There would be plenty to say when they returned to the base. And though not as anxious as her soldier comrade, she did not want trust the electronic "eyes" and "ears" that might exist on the surface of Hadron City. Walking towards Tilly and her motercycle, the young cyborg reaches for her helmet. "Let's not talk business for a bit. I want to go home."
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

After finishing her taco Sander looked as though she were about to interject into the conversation, paused, and seemed to decided against it given how the general mood was leaning towards discussing matters back at the base. Instead she put her visored full head and face covering helmet on mounted her motorcycle and started it up. Once Iona was on behind her she spoke to John, simply saying ...

"Lead the way."

So you head out with John leading the duo of motorcycles and Diego flittering about from dark crevice to dim shadow. You follow a similar route as before, sticking to alley. Staying off main streets. Maneuvering around Stronghold rather than trying to navigate through their check points and known patrols. Hadron City gets darker and dirtier the further you go from Ward 8, and the closer you get to your head quarters. In some places there doesn't seem to be any power. Instead of the an electric glow, there is fire light from trash cans or candles in windows. The ruins of Ward 3 are not a comforting place.

While the sights, sounds, and smells of the trip are not pleasant it is also uneventful. Soon the three of you find yourselves behind the secure walls of your underground lair.
OOC wrote:I'll let you decide where your planning and discourse takes place. Whether you decide to include Corporal Sander or not is up to you as well.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

When the group arrives back in the underground complex, Diego resumes his solid form as he looked before ascending. Being in a solid form wasn't the most comforting, but he did it for Tilly. Despite his view of people as chess pieces, Tilly was one of the more special people he was willing to make accommodations for comfort. As the group makes their way to an open planning room, Diego reveals more of his assessment.

"Once we pick up the visitor passes and map of the 30th floor tomorrow night at the Ward 6 Walmart, it will allow us entry into the building as long as we keep our heads down. It doesn't look like they have too high of security, but Duncan was already getting too anxious. There was also a woman in a grey suit I saw in the parking lot as we were leaving. I wasn't able to get too good of a look at her, but it may be a complication.", remarks Diego.

Diego turns towards Tilly as they get to the room. "Your expertise in the city and insight into operations in Hadron City would be invaluable if you have the time. We will need to plan escape routes and fall back plans if things go wrong.", asks Diego almost human sounding. His voice wasn't the monotone dull voice he used with most. He also made sure to phrase it more as a request verses an order.
Supernaturalist

John Steiner

John picks himself up a cup of coffee upon returning to the base before meeting back up with Tilly, Diego, and Iona. For some people, coffee made them nervous...jittery. But for John it calmed him and helped his hyper-vigilant mind relax.

John has his own ideas about covering the groups escape should things go south, but he doesn't want to step on any one's toes. Diego addresses Corporal Sander, so he listens to her opinions first before giving his own.
OOC: I have no idea what Sander might suggest, so here's what John will propose when it's his turn. If what he proposses is basically similar to Tilly's plan, then he'll just agree with her plan and move on.
After Tilly and the others comment, John sets his coffee down after taking a sip. "I'll throw this idea out there and you tell me what you think. For starters, I'd rather not cover our retreat with explosives and fire-starting demolitions. If our cover is blown, I think I can provide cover for us without adding a bunch of casualties to the screwup."

Rubbing the stubble of his unshaven cheek, he winces as if trying to figure out a plan on the fly. "What if Iona and Diego actually entered the building, while I setup in an area outside of the local police-checkpoints? We could find an obscure alley or vacant lot several kilometers from the Autumn Dawn building. I could set up my light mortar with smoke ordinance on hand. With a map of the area already in hand, I could pre-plan a saturation barrage. The mortar has a range of about three-and-a-half kilometers, so I could remain a good distance away near a vehicle. Even if it's a windy day I can factor that into my calculations and lay down an obscuring smoke over a considerable area in short order. The weapon is meant to be operated by two people, but I can do it alone with only a small impairment to rate-of-fire. It's non-lethal. There's no explosions, so it won't cause the same reaction as using high explosive or incindiary rounds. Not only will it obstruct the both of you from eyes on the ground for awhile, but it will also obfuscate you from the optics of the drones. The last part is the most important part, because unless you can break line-of-sight with those assets, they can just follow you wherever you go unless you go below ground."

John shrugs his shoulders and looks around to the group. "Well...that's what I think at least."
Supernaturalist

Iona

The young cyborg listens as her comrades discuss the extraction phase of the mission, especially if something goes wrong. It is no small detail as memories of her last mission painfully remind her.

While John lays out his ideas, Iona's mind cannot help but wander to the prior phases of the operation. There are so many questions that have risen since speaking with Duncan in the underground garage: Questions that must be answered if this operation is to avoid detection.

After everyone puts in their "two cents" on the emergency evacuation, Iona remains silent. She does not consider herself the most tactically-minded of the group and as such defers to the knowledge of her comrades. She does, however, worry about others in the building seeing her with an envornmentally-controlled container. Assuming that she can even get the specimen and store it, will she be able to walk out of the building with such a container and not arouse suspicion?

"I do have some questions, but they are not narrolwly related to the 'emergency extraction' issue. I'll wait until that is settled before mentioning some of my other concerns. Warrant Officer Steiner's plan seems reasonable to me, although I'm hardly an expert on such matter. I'm not sure I'm qualified to give much input."

Iona is -at heart - a researcher and a physician. And while egos are certainly present in her professional field, she knows it is best sometimes to simply confess when you don't know...you might actually learn something listening to those who do.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

After hiding the two bikes away under some tarps, garbage, and light rubble, Tilly moves after the three of her. Though she walks with you into the base, she wait for a que from Diego before joining you in the room for your mission planning. She doesn't speak up right away despite the invitation that had been extended to her. Instead she takes a seat and listens. After John had offered up his idea for providing cover in the event for an extraction she interjects.

"Mortars are loud. Even with protection, operators firing them can get hurt by the noise. People are going to hear you use it, wherever you are in the city. Being three kilometers away also means you won't be able to provide any other kind of support to the mission."

"You don't need a mortar launcher for your idea. Use smoke grenades. If you know your stuff, you can even rig some up to detonators. Hope you have your own though. We're short on armaments. Base personnel are using their personal weapons."
OOC wrote:As an NPC, Tilly isn't going to hand you a plan. She will advise and point out things you might overlook.

John doesn't have smoke grenades or mortars on his character sheet and the PCs haven't solved their weapon shortage problems yet. Meaning they do not have easy access to them.

While you don't have proper smoke grenades, you can try to make something that produces a goodly volume of smoke. Iona has a scientific background (chemistry being useful) and John has Demolition training.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

Diego nods in agreement with Tilly after settling into a seat. Sitting, it was so human. He bore it for TIlly's sake. "As a fall back plan, smoke grenades are a good idea. Mortar fire, even nonlethal will likely draw a strong Stronghold response. A localized smoke grenade may also draw a heightened response, but if it comes to using them we are already in trouble. They would be better than using our powers inside the city. Is your scientific knowledge enough to fashion the grenades Iona?", inquires Diego looking towards Iona.

"Inside the building, assuming the lady in the grey suit hasn't blown our entry before it began, we may be able to smuggle the plant out in another container. I do not imagine visitor passes will get us to the loading docks, but would you be able to disable any electrical locks as needed inside the building Iona? We will need to be careful with doing it, but it would allow us to get where we needed if we act quickly. Another option is swiping a badge off a custodian or simply killing them taking their identity for our purposes. To avoid suspicion we can leave his dead body somewhere. From the sound of security inside, Duncan did not indicate was too heavy. If it houses a pilfered item though, it may have more protection than Duncan knows.", says Diego waiting for Iona's and Johns reactions before getting too far ahead.
Expertise Military 20 for any knowledge Diego might have on likely security if Stronghold granted a private company the plant. I have some assumptions working with secret classified military items in my job, but prefer not to assume too much of the game universe.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

To Diego, it seems unlikely that Stronghold would blanket the Autumn Dawn building in their security. They likely don't care about most of Autumn Dawn's operations. Just the super science algae that is Viridi Mater. Spreading out manpower over the building would thus be a waste of resources. It is reasonable to think that Stronghold would have a presence, to keep the resource protected. If they do, it is likely on the 30th floor, or at least around where the area that Viridi Mater is stored and studied.
Supernaturalist

John Steiner

John listens to Tilly's critique of his idea. Nodding as if in affirmation, he speaks. "Yes, there are tradeoffs between the "Mortar Plan" and the "Demolition Plan", so to speak. With the Mortar Plan, I simply pack up and go back to base if I'm not needed. No planted demolitions need be left behind after the mission is over. Next, there is no risk of getting caught while planting the smoke rounds. Lastly, I can adjust for any changes in the wind by changing where I fire the rounds. With the planted smoke, I'll have to take into account the wind direction; and once they are placed, any changes in wind can potentially affect them."

"On the other hand if I do the Mortar Plan, then I'll have to place, operate, and then re-load the mortar back into the van by myself. If I do draw attention, then there's no way I can fight to extract myself while doing those things. My whole plan of providing smoke-mortar support would rely on finding a spot that is close enough to the target without having any people nearby to hear it. Or alternatively having it visually hidden in an area that also has a lot of noise like construction or traffic to hide the sound."

"I suppose I need to ask Ascendant Diego if there is any critical assignment that I'll be needed for inside the building. If so, then the Mortar Plan is off the table from the beginning."
Supernaturalist

Iona

With her arms folded in front of her, Iona glances at John before looking away as if in thought. "A radio detonator would be easy to provide. And we would not need the entire mortar casing. All we would need is the white phosphorus casing with the attached fuse. The detonation mechanism would be placed on the fuse. All in all it would be much smaller than a mortar shell itself. You could place them in trash cans, in the tail-pipes of automobiles, or even conceal them under the mulch of trees and plants. I'm sure there will be opportunities to find suitable emplacements when we get back to the area."

She pauses a moment as if in thought before continuing. "If you are worried about the wind shifting, then plant a few more of them in areas all around the perimeter of the building. It's a extra work, but then you can decide which ones to detonate based on the wind as well as the direction in which we decide to retreat. If we blow our cover, then there's no telling beforehand which way we'll need to flee."

She pauses again to let him digest her words before speaking again. "Hopefully we won't need to use any of them, but I'm curious. How many do you think you'll need to adequately saturate the area?"
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

"Smoke grenades will need to be planted. The area already had an explosive scare to cover one escape, so while you may be able to hide your identity from the cameras while walking, planting smoke bombs is another thing entirely. One Stronghold patrol or camera operator looking at the camera feed of a camera pointed on you and the whole plan is blown. Stronghold is not stupid. If they are looking for someone with our profile, they will find it quickly enough. If the intent is to provide cover from drones, smoke bombs could cover our escape if thrown over a wide enough area.", remarks Diego. His voice was modulated at an even congenial tone, but words spoke for themselves.

Moving on to the mortar idea, Diego makes his thoughts known as well. "How would you propose we scout out the area far enough away without exposing us to more risk? Even if you find a spot, what about the cameras and possible drone pass? If it comes to fighting, we will need all the people and diversions we can muster. Iona and I may be able to escape by using our powers, but that would be very unfortunate to do and expose the cause even more than it already has.", follows up Diego. He sat, clearly uncomfortable with sitting, waiting to see if John can muster a response.
Supernaturalist

John Steiner

John had been thinking about providing emergency cover since first seeing the open area around the research tower. When Diego mentions the scouting of areas, John doesn’t hesitate to offer a plan. “Well, here’s one possibility. While you and Miss Iona go to meet this contact for the Visitor passes, I could take a motorbike out and check out the zones around the target. I can hit something from just over 2 miles away, although I’d prefer to be closer for accuracy purposes. So, that gives me wiggle room as far as choice locations. I can tell you broadly what I’m looking for in a spot, but I won’t be able to say for sure until I see the location.

John takes another sip of coffee before continuing. “I’d prefer a sight that is surrounded by fairly tall buildings, vegetation, or infrastructure…basically a position that obscures me from the view of passing cars and pedestrians. If I could find an area in a largely abandoned neighborhood or business district, that would be great. Ironically, I could also do this in a crowded area if the location is obstructed from general view and there is a lot of noise around from traffic or construction. I’ll need to take a van to store the mortar and ammo. I’ll also need to make sure that the route that I take to the setup site is free of checkpoints.

John pauses because he knows that he’s throwing a lot of parameters out there for the group to consider. “One last thing. Ideally, I could park at or near the site for a day or two in advance to get an idea if and how much police and drone patrols exist in the zone. I know that’s a lot to consider, but I believe in being as thorough as possible. The location needs to grade out at near perfect in terms of safety because I’ll be all alone of we chose this plan. If indeed I am called upon to provide cover, then I have to quickly drop my smoke barrage, lift the mortar back into the van, and get the hell out of there before anyone can figure out what I’ve done and trace it back to my location.

So, if you think all of this is too risky, then I can come up with an alternate plan that involves placing the “smoke bombs” on location and then activating them electronically if need be. That plan will have its own set of unique risks, so it is by no means necessarily safer than the first plan.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

John was certainly ambitious and had his heart set on a barrage of smoke from afar. Still, there was more than a few angles to consider here. "Once we get the passes tomorrow night, we need to execute the theft. We will have less than eight hours after getting the badges at 8pm. If you were to scout out the location at night it would need to start now. There is also a transportation issue. Tilly was generous enough to use her friendship with someone with a motorcycle to help us get around. A van on the streets would be challenging.", remarks Diego.

Having an idea of where John was going to go next, Diego spoke in anticipation. "Smoke coverage may work with planted devices, but we cannot just plant them under cars or in the open. Inside trash bins, they will have limited utility as well. That is not a normal sector of the city. Planting smoke bombs will draw attention as much as leaving backpacks in the open on the ground.", adds Diego.