For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Supernaturalist

Re: [IC] MnM 3e - In the Shadow of Imperator: Recovery

Post by Supernaturalist »

Iona
HP: 0
Cnd: Bruised (-3 to DCs); Fatigued; Hearing Impaired
PP:0
OOC: I know that Iona is “Hearing Impaired” at present. I don’t know how that affects her going forward except that she’ll simply ask people to speak louder if she doesn’t make out what they are saying. She will inform whomever she is in conversation with that they must speak up as her “auditory sensors” have been temporarily overloaded.
Iona glances to the back of the infirmary area where surgeries are conducted. “Sander rescued him?...” she says softly to Diego, “…I’ll speak with her before I leave for maintenance with Dr. Sokolov. I’m sure The Doctor will be interested in what has happened to his agent. It is possible that his involvement may have precipitated the premature movement of the algae-specimen. I hope that is not the case, but it is a distinct possibility. Hopefully, this patient will be conscious and in a condition for some questioning before I must leave. I assume you’ll do the interrogating alone?

Iona knew enough to ask. Although she felt that she could play the part of an “Inquisitor”, she knew that this was a skill more suited to Diego than herself. Besides, she had a lot to think about and a lot to do. She did not need to take on any more duties at present.
OOC: Iona will make sure that she is clothed and that any surface areas of her body that contain unsightly injuries are covered. If Diego continues to speak with her (or if any medical personnel need her help), she’ll remain in the infirmary. Otherwise, it’s a priority to get the sample to Dr. Applegate a.s.a.p. She must also find a way to break the news of Duncan’s demise to Dr. Applegate.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez
CND: Haunted
Form: Solid

Hopefully, this patient will be conscious and in a condition for some questioning before I must leave. I assume you’ll do the interrogating alone?”
"You can be present if you wish, should he regain consciousness.", remarks Diego. It was more because cutting Iona out of it might spurn any good will gained from saving Carter's life. Not that Diego could get too much given the groups Carter was affiliated.

With business done there, Diego shifts back into the form he had in a prior life."We should get the sample to Dr. Applegate as soon as possible. I will join you shortly.", says Diego. Before departing after Iona, he goes over to the nurse and requests to be informed before the three men leave the base so he can meet with the men.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Kreppler flops Duncan onto a stretcher when on is pushed out in front of him. John gets his own shortly after Duncan is carted off. The two men are gone from sight. Iona, leaves her staff to tend to them rather than tend to either personally. The android retrieves a long coat and dawns it. While this helps with her lack of clothes, it does little for her bleeding wounds.

The nurse Diego had been talking with is swept up in the frenzy of activity involving John and Duncan's emergency care. She initially looks at Diego in confusion when she approaches her asking to be informed before the men leave the base. She shakes her head.

"There is nothing stopping you from talking to them now. One of them was awake last I checked."

Diego is able to leave with Iona knowing he can speak with the men at his leisure. Walking down the all Diego and Iona mad an odd pair. Iona a bloody and wounded beauty. Diego cold menace. The trip to the green house is uneventful, but it gives you time to think.

There is a healthy amount of activity in the green house. People are setting up large circular containers are being set up, which now occupy the previously unused vast stretches of real estate. Tubes and hoses are being fixed tot he containers.. Some specialty overhead lighting is being installed overhead by people on on fold out ladders. Dr. Applegate is near the back of the green house. When you approach you catch the tail end of a conversation. Something about mineral composition and nutrients.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Supernaturalist

Iona

Aware that her typically flawless appearance has been compromised, Iona does the best she can to keep the most egregious wounds covered and out of sight. Despite her efforts, her artificial blood still seeps through the medical jacket and scrubs in certain areas.

Still, the young cyborg presents a calm demeanor by standing straight and patiently waiting for Dr. Applegate to finish her conversation with her staff-member. When the frail botanist does turn to see Iona, she is met with a pleasant “Good Evening, Doctor.

Iona pauses nervously as she glances sideways at Diego. Looking back to Dr. Applegate and pointing to her own ears, she resumes the conversation. “You’ll have to pardon me, Doctor. My auditory sensors were overloaded during our mission to retrieve the specimen. Until they are re-aligned, I’m having difficulty hearing.” Iona had not mentioned this to Diego earlier, but The Ascendant could tell that the cyborg struggled to make out his words. “If you could speak a little louder….and perhaps a little slower…I would appreciate it.” Despite requesting raised voices from others, Iona’s artificial voice remains as soft as always.

Doctor…I have the algae here in this battered container.” Floating perfectly still beside Iona, the container looks pitted and scarred, yet still free of any breach. “The Ascendant and I wish to speak with you about some sensitive matters regarding its care. Do you have any personal office area where we could sit and speak privately?
OOC: Iona will insist on a private area for discussion. I’ll assume that there is somewhere that Applegate, Iona, and Diego can go. Once the three of them are alone, she’ll move on to the next phase of the conversation.
With the door closed behind her. Iona looks for a place to sit. “Please Doctor, have a seat. We may be here for a while.” After the mousy botanist is firmly in a chair, the female cyborg begins her unpleasant business.

Dr. Applegate, we just returned from our mission to retrieve the algae. As you can see, we managed to acquire it…though with great difficulty. I…regret to inform you that Dr. Redwood gave his life in the service of our cause. We could not have accomplished the objective without him; and in truth he died heroically.” Iona stops speaking knowing better than to drone on after such shocking news has been delivered. Unsure how the woman will react, Iona stands ready to catch her if she faints and even to give her a shoulder to cry upon, if necessary.
OOC: Here is Iona's Persuasion check. Normally she'd get a +10 bonus, but the circumstance bonus of +2 will make the total bonus +12: Supernaturalist: D20 + 12 → 27(15 + 12). So, a total of 27. If Diego chooses to aid and does so successfully, then it may go higher.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

All of this sentiment. Tell her Duncan died and move on. Dr. Applegate was human, like he once was, so there was no way around indulging her emotions. Once Iona finished speaking, Diego gave a comforting expression attenuating his voice to sound like his former Spanish and Arabic accent with a kinder empathic tone. "There is nothing more we can do for Duncan now. All we can do is honour his memory and what he paid the ultimate price. I am sad he needed to make the sacrifice he did, but if it is any comfort he will be helping countless lives.", adds Diegos to Ionas condolences.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Catherine pales when she sees Iona. Was it because it was Iona ... or because she was wearing a bloody lab coat? While Iona explains her condition the doctor's eyes, made large by her glasses, shift back and forth between Diego and Iona. She seemed uncertain. Clearly sensing something was wrong. Eventually she turns to the side and motions to the back room that the two had previously visited when talking privately with Dr. Applegate.

"THIIISSS .... WAAAY!"

... the woman raised her voice, just shy of yelling in an effort to compensate for Iona's damaged hearing. Catherine didn't seem the type who normally yelled, so perhaps she was overcompensating in regard to that as well. In any case she leads the two of you into the back section of the greenhouse that acted partially as an office and part as her private space for her own plants. She closes the door after you are all inside, turns to face you and folds her hands meekly in front of herself awaiting Iona to say what she needed to.

Iona asks her to take a seat. Catherine blinks, confused. She looks to Diego, as if wordlessly asking what was going on. After some hesitance she maneuvered to a chair and settled down. She is silent, staring dumbly at Iona, then Diego as they talk about Duncan having died. Then she speaks, initially confused, then that confusion turns to anger.

"What? No! You promised you wouldn't let him get hurt!"

At that declaration the mousy botanist rose abruptly to her feet, her small dirt covered hands balled into fists.

"Why are you here? Why aren't you helping him?!"

Though she yelled at Iona it was Diego that she rushed at in a teary eyed rage. Her dirty fist beat at Diego wildly and ineffectually.

"Did you even try to help him?! Do you even care?! You promised he wouldn't get hurt! You Promised!! I trusted you and you let him die!"
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

If she wasn't needed to cultivate the food source for the meat shield army and highly emotional, Diego would have told her to suck it up and do your job. In his past life he had girlfriends, so he knew first hand not to say that to a woman who was grieving. "There wasn't anything we could do. There was an agent of Dr. Sokolov in the area who put the guards on high alert, maybe even caused us to change our plans from the ones that would keep Duncan out of any harm. I told Duncan to hide when it got violent, but he chose to be a hero. We tried to protect him as best we could, but his nobler instincts took over. When someone is set on helping to save the world, I've learned first hand tying to stop them is a pointless effort. That is what he will help us do even after his noble sacrifice.", says Diego. His motions of comfort and sympathy were pulled from previous memories of his old life.

Dr. Applegate needed to hear Duncan's life amounted to something. Clearly, she was very close with the man. No amount of words would remove her grief, but maybe giving Duncans death meaning would provide some consolation. Pinning some blame on Dr. Sokolov may even help in the long run. Personally, Diego saw it like a rook sees a pawn. If the pawn is sacrificed so the rook can get another rook or high value piece their is no use grieving over the pawn.
Supernaturalist

Iona
HP: 1
EP:3

Iona knows that there is no chance of Dr. Applegate injuring Diego. The cyborg stands quietly during the botanist’s outburst, making sure not to touch or restrain her. When the “beating” of Diego subsides, Iona moves closer to the grieving scientist. “I know that you cared for him deeply. I’m sure he knew that as well. I can only reiterate that – despite his care for you – he boldly risked his life to bring our mission to a successful conclusion. If you ever desire to know more of the details of his last moments, then I shall share everything to the best of my memory when the time is right.

Iona then looks from Applegate to Diego. Her eyes seem to acknowledge Diego’s effort to restrain his natural instincts as she nods at him. Looking back to Dr. Applegate, Iona again speaks, “I shall return to the infirmary and have his body prepared and moved to a solitary place where you may go for a private viewing if you wish. When you are finished, then I shall see to it that he is buried or cremated in accordance with your preference. I shall send someone to inform you when he is ready.

Ascendant, is there anything you wish to add at this time? If not, then I shall leave the Viridi Mater here in your care, Doctor.
OOC: Iona has nothing more to say currently. If Diego has something to add, then Iona will wait around until he’s done before leaving. Otherwise, she’s back to the infirmary after handing over the algae speciment to Applegate.
Last edited by Supernaturalist on Sun May 09, 2021 2:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Diego and Iona end up leaving Dr. Applegate crying into her dirty hands. Crying over the man whose life she trusted you with. Though he had lost his way, the story of Duncan's self sacrifice would make it around the base and the man would become a martyr for the cause. Another drop of blood in the tide that would wash away Stronghold one day.

After a period of mourning, during which Catherine Applegate is inconsolable, proliferation of the Viridi Mater is underway and in a day's time processing it into food stuff has already begun. It seems she had everything setup and ready to go, for the most part, the day you acquired it. Her grief being the only delay in her work.

As the days went on you learn that Sergeant Kreppler's van was found by Stronghold. The suspicion is that there was indeed a tracking device in the case you lead behind. The van vanishes, but Stronghold foot patrols become increasingly common in Ward 3. Following the uptick in Stronghold's presence is heavy equipment to clear the roads. There is a lot of work for them to do yet, but Stronghold has an idea of where you are now, and they're looking for you.

Both Diego an Iona have little time for personal projects in the week that passes. They there a lot of damage control to do i the wake of the Viridi Mater mission. Diego, for his part, can't completely lean on Tilly to run things. He needs to step in and organize his people for the rapidly changing circumstances. He has stories to spin to keep Iona and himself from the worst of the backlash. Plans to make for framing other people for their wrong goings. Manipulations that Tilly doesn't have the training to enact.

Iona is expected to play a leadership role as well, and can't always hide in her lab. Politics and planning demand her attention whether she likes it or not. There is also an up swing in medical problems as run ins with Stronghold become more common, which means she can't always count on her staff alone handling everything.

Sunday 31st, Marsh 2019

Carter wakes up on a Sunday afternoon. Dim light illuminating the curtained off section of the infirmary that he is recovering in. He doesn't feel like he's been shot a dozen times over. Instead their is a warm fuzzy sensation. Probably the painkillers that he was on. A few minutes after he wakes a nurse pulls the curtain back and checks on him. He doesn't get much information out of the woman, but he does get a glimpse of a guard outside his curtained off area watching him.

Not long after Diego and Iona are informed of their guest has regained consciousness.
Supernaturalist

John Steiner
HP:1
Cnd: Physically Disabled (-5 to Circumstance Checks)
PP:1

John has already spent several days under supervision in the sickbay. His throat and lungs felt worse than he could ever remember. Though he didn't really know Dr. Redwood, he had fled from capture with the man on a motorcycle. In the end Redwood succumbed to a slow, agonizing death from lung-dissolving chemicals rather than from Stronghold bullets. John had seen lots of people die. Sometimes he wished he could care more, but he was too hardened from years in the field. He did worry about Dr. Applegate's reaction, but that was more an issue of strategic consequences rather than sentimentality.

With nothing to do but think, he reflected upon the recent mission. So many unexpected things happened. That did not surprise John. He knew it was the nature of war. Man tries to impose order on the chaos of conflict, but even the best laid plans break down somewhere. He was going to be forced to give Ascendant Chen an account. As a professional he had to give an honest assessment, not too rosy but not unduly critical. All this time laying on his back would allow him to get the analysis as accurate as possible.

The only thing that might save John's ass is the fact that they came away with the specimen. There's little doubt in John's mind that Chen and especially Null favored a quieter, less messy approach. All that he and his teammates could do now is learn from the mistakes and try to improve. That was his job, to improve the mission capability of the group to the best of his ability.

In between thoughts of missions and analysis and tactics, John had occasional thoughts of R&R. A little gambling, alcohol, and women would do him some good. The $64,000 question was whether Null would deem his teams efforts worthy of any downtime. Best not to get my hopes up too high. With my luck I'll go from this bed to training in the field within another week.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

The Coverup

Incidents like the safest and model ward becoming a super hero war zone don't just go away or have no repercussions. Praetor Null hadn't called on Diego yet, so there was time to do some damage control in the week after the incident. Carter was still out, so Diego wasn't able to get the answers he sought on what the stupid cowboy was doing packing a gun so visibly. It was like he was asking to be seen. Diego had other issues to sort out now and first and foremost was to see to it the base wasn't compromised and everything was redirected.

He already had the face of incident figured out. It had jumped at and destroyed a helicopter with people looking on as it somehow survived the fall and walked away. Stronghold would know the face didn't belong to anyone in particular. It wouldn't be in any databases. Still, Diego had to make it look like anyone other than Praetor Null or his forces had done the mission. One sure fire way to raise doubt of what group a person belonged was to record a video with a background that didn't give much away. To this end, Diego employed Tilly or someone she recommended to identify a ward not as heavily patrolled with ruined buildings a ward or two away from ward 3. Preferably one where someone who ditched a van in ward 3 would swap vehicles and head to.

Diego was in his element planning movements through a city and redirects. It took his mind off what was to come the next time Praetor Null visited. If the redirect worked, it might not be as bad as Diego was expecting it to be. Once the location and route was decided, Diego made sure Tilly had the more military like tasks lead as he focused on his unofficial namesake of deception.

Another aspect to handle, before heading out to make the video and get it uploaded, was having eyes outside the base. Eyes that weren't military ones. Diego heard Stronghold was going to start bringing in heavy equipment and found the van. So, having semi military trained people keep patrols would only raise Strongholds interest. A garden is a thing of patience. Wait long enough and it is beautiful. Diego's forgotten of the ward were ready to go. Nothing out of the ordinary of them was asked aside from dead dropping notes and keeping an eye on Stronghold troop movements during the clearing. No special movements, just normal nomadic behaviour keeping their eyes open.

With the word spreading throughout the ward, Diego made his way along the planned route to the video location with a burner video phone. The trip itself was rather uneventful. At times he floated in the darkness while other times he shifted into someone no one would pay attention. It took time when he had to contort his nature into something solid, but it was better than stating another battle with Stronghold.

At the location, making sure no one was around and with a rubble like backdrop, Diego shifted into the action hero visage with added healing cuts and burn marks consistent with someone who used themselves as a projectile to take out a helicopter. "It is time to wake up Hadron City. Stronghold would like you to believe they are here to protect the city, make it better, and free. They aren't. They are running dark experiments like the one who caused havoc in Ward 8. That was just a taste of what Stronghold is doing under our noses. They are messing with forces beyond their comprehension. Whats the next one they will lose control over? I only saw a small taste of it in one of their monster labs with brains in jars plus tentacles in the ceiling. They have gone too far.", begins Diego speaking in a more rugged and manly voice with grit behind it. All the while, he streamed it out to the deep web plus made sure social media of all sorts got a link to the stream. He also ensured it was being recorded.

"What I had to do to the men in the helicopter, I did for everyone in the city. Stronghold cannot control their experiments and were willing to level the city around it to contain it. Today is when we make a stand. Today is when we say to Stronghold, you've gone too far. How many more lives will you risk for inhumane creations you can't keep control over? We, the People of Hadron, say enough is enough. While we may be a small group of former contractors who witnessed first hand the atrocities perpetuated by Stronghold, we are strong. As more voices speak up and tell Stonghold to stop and leave the city for the people, we will only get stronger.", continues Diego.

He maintains his expression of strength and restrained anger. "If you don't believe me, ask the questions yourself. Stronghold as I speak is bringing in more power under the guise of protecting you. You need to ask yourself and Stronghold, what they are really doing. Strengthening their grip on us while they perform more atrocities to justify their previous ones. Stand up, unite, and Stronghold will be made to account for their heinous sins against us the People of Hadron! Stand strong and see the light!", finishes Diego with a flourish.

He turns off the recording and live stream. With everything off, he pockets the memory card with the video after uploading it and sending out messages of its location in the cloud for others to see again. If Stronghold saw the transmission, they would undoubtedly have people heading to the location. Diego didn't wait long enough to find out. He had to get out of there instantly, he did using his special talents keeping the memory card.

Infirmary

Diego spent the rest of the time ensuring the video would spread more. If internet sites went down, he'd find other phones of regular people in the city that he'd swipe to get the video uploaded again. Public sentiment would be on Stronghold side, hopefully the video would change that.

Once alerted to Carter stirring, Diego made his way to the cowboys beside. iona being there or not didn't bother Diego in the slightest. "Why were you at the Ward?", inquired Diego going straight to the point in his native form.
Supernaturalist

Iona
EP:3
OOC: I have not roleplayed any conversation with Tilley in the IC thread. Since Iona does not recognize Carter as one of Dr. Sokolov’s agents, she would have asked Tilley for any pertinent info on the patient. I’m only going to assume that Iona knows two things: his name (because Tilley told her) and the fact that her works for Sokolov.
Iona made sure to be at patient’s side soon after he has awoken. Though she had made routine checkups on Carter everyday post-surgery, she had not attempted to question him. The young cyborg makes sure to wait for the presence of Ascendant Gonzalez. Standing slightly to the side and behind Diego, she defers the lead to him for the purpose of interrogation.
OOC: Iona will wait to see what Carter divulges before positing any further questions.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

By the time Iona and Diego have assembled at Carter's bedside, he is unconscious again. A nurse tending to the young man smiles at the two of you apologetically.

"He's been in and out like that. It looked like he was showing signs of improvement though. I'll keep you informed of his condition."

The nurse steps clear of the patient's bed and maneuvers to close the curtain around him if it looks like Diego and Iona are poised to withdraw. It is while this is going on that John is able to take note of their arrival. John, who is just now getting sorted out to leave the infirmary. His lungs still feel awful, but the Dr. Franklin was willing to let him go.
OOC wrote:Most of this post is going to be an OOC information dump, so you can decide what to do next.

Concerning Diego's Cover Up: Over the course of the week Diego receives information from the Forgotten that while Stronghold maintains a presence in Ward 3, and continue to have civilian contractors clear the roads, the majority of their initial force in the area has been moved to Ward 5, where Diego made sure to broadcast his message as the Chuck Stallone Ninja.

However, Diego made a very "rise up revolutionaries" message, which affirms the initial suspicion that the remnants of Imperator's followers were involved in Viridi Mater theft and subsequent violence. You can tell that much by the media's news reports.

Concerning The Jaguar Smart Phone Towards the end of the week Diego would have gotten a report from Vincent Braxton on his desk, wherever it is that he maintains an office. The points of interest are a follows:
- The majority of recent activity is in Ward 23 and Ward 3.
- There are 27 contacts, listed as A-Z. Just the single letter. A, D, and S are the most called.
- The most recent messages talk about crashing a party and, separately, about a candy shop. Messages stop being sent to the phone, abruptly, the day that Andrew and his team were attacked.
- There are some photos on the phone, but you don't have any context to who they are. Some are wearing Jaguar colors and look suitably thuggish. Others are of locations or seemingly random people.
- There are a handful of voicemails, but from what Mr. Braxton can tell they appear to be wrong numbers.

Concerning information on Carter Provided by Tilly: She only informs Iona that his name is Carter Hollow, that he is one of the First Generation, and that he went missing near the end of the war.

Reminder for John Helping out Iona and Diego on missions is not his primary mission. His mission is to observe them, advise them, and report his observations to Zachary Chen. At some point he needs to compose a report about the Viridi Mater mission for Ascendant Chen. He doesn't answer to Diego or Iona, though they have greater authority than him. He answers to Ascendant Chen.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego Gonzalez

Before returning to the bed side of Carter, Diego took some time in the room without lights or furniture of any sort he called his office/room. Most everyone stayed away from it, much like Diego himself in his natural form, unless they needed to deliver something like the report on the phone. His cover, much like most, had taken on a life of its own. Stronghold seemed convinced enough of the personas supposed base location. Civilians with construction equipment would be a problem, but that was nothing some good sabotage or destitute stealing key bits. Not enough to bring in more Stronghold guards, but enough to slow down the work maybe. Diego made a mental note to resolve that loose thread soon enough.

More pressing was people attributing the works of wanton violence, properly, to remnants of Imperators forces. The fact followers of Imperator were attributed to the chaos was one thing. That they were getting so close was the main concern. Lies beget lies beget lies. Next lie was going to need to pin the highly militant calling for revolution to some other known group who could be burned. Jaguars and Reapers were right out. Dr. Sokolov and the First Generation were partners in the base, so burning them wasn't smart either. Religious extremists on the other hand served the smallest amount of purpose. That was also another project for down the line.

Of immediate need now was securing arms for the forces that would be formed eventually. Jaguars and that one who was a bit off that didn't look like a human in a mask might start causing problems down the road, especially if they had Ward 3 as a place frequented. Inside man maybe? Securing arms was going to be of paramount concern now. For that, the dealer that was taken might prove useful. For that use though, they would need to free him or at least find him for answers.

Before departing for the infirmary, Diego poured over the report for anything a trained spy might notice and a technie might miss. Anything of value to give some solid lead that was more than look around Ward 23.
"He's been in and out like that. It looked like he was showing signs of improvement though. I'll keep you informed of his condition."
Diego, in his native form molded in a humanoid looking fashion nodded was passed as a head. "We have much to discuss. Come.", says Diego signaling John and Iona to follow him to a room not full of prying ears.
Expertise Spycraft 24 in case he can glean any useful patterns. Code words, cryptic texts, etc I figure are right out of spycraft 101.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

OOC wrote:Diego has been to the Jaguar's HQ: Initium Novum Tower. The mega structure at the center of Ward 23. Flux is located there, as is a substantial civilian population. There are clues in the text messages that confirm this, if Diego hadn't already realized it.

The "candy shop" is a reference to a drug manufacturing operation that has recently been setup in Ward 3. The texters aren't so careless as drop clues about landmarks or an exact location.