[IC] - In the Shadow of Imperator: Extended Interludes

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
mrdent12

Re: [IC] - In the Shadow of Imperator: Extended Interludes

Post by mrdent12 »

Monday 23th, March 2019 - An Ascendent and his Arms

Diego mentally noted the Privates reaction. Something he'd need to keep in mind. Machiavelli was right about fear and love, but Diego didn't need to choose right now. For now, he'd need to get better at the walking the tight rope of both. "I hate to press you more on this. You are still grieving from your loss and have every reason to mourn your three fallen comrades in arms. If there is any hope of still bearing fruit from the disrupted deal, I must press on.", says Diego trying his hand at getting more on the love side.

"Can you describe to me what Aidan Faust looks like and anything that the Jaguars who ambushed you may have done or said? Anything you can remember could be useful if we wish to get revenge on the Jaguars and maybe save Aidan.", asks Diego. He made a point of mentioning revenge. Most of this sentiment was all a lie of course. Three soldiers deaths, revenge, and grief meant nothing to him now. Going to war with the Jaguars especially wasn't something he was keen on doing. Stronghold was enough. For Andrew's cooperation out of more than just duty though, Diego needed to show something more than give me data.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Monday, March 30th 2019 - A Meeting with The Master

In contrast to Iona's expectation her victim did not succumb to unconscious at any point during the operation. Even though she should have passed out from the pain. When the android turned to face Dr. Sokolov and speak to him he immediately spoke up, his voice sharp and scolding without increasing in volume.

"Don't turn your back on the subject. Never turn your back on a prisoner. Even if you believe them to be restrained or unconscious."

His right hand then rose, and he pointed back to the bloody mess on the operating table.

"You are in the middle of an operation. Do not stop to talk. You can talk while you work."

Dr. Sokolov gives the woman a stern look, but once she returns to her work he remains silent, and listens to her recounting of events. After she finished, the scientist's response was analytical. Like a instructor providing feedback on a student's work.

"While the success of this mission can largely be attributed to your contributions ... you continually hinder yourself with extreme displays of power utilized to minimal effect."

Lifting his right hand Dr. Sokolov twists his fingers through the air in an odd pattern. As he does them the walls of the room begin displaying footage of Iona. Her taser-field, which disables the Stronghold soldiers in the garage ... but one almost escapes. Time does on on this mage, about a minute, and all are shown to be back on their feet moving to engage her on the streets. Another image is shown of Iona firing a bolt of electricity onto a vehicle's axel, only for the soldiers to climb out of their car and acquire a new one to pursue Iona with.

"You are inconsistent, swinging wildly between applications of extreme and minimal force. You fail to commit, and because of this you are ineffective. Your inferiors will not stop using guns because you subdue a group of them with non-lethal force. They will only see that you subdued them, and how dangerous that makes you."

Video footage rotates across the walls, shifting between scenes of Iona employing destructive force one moment, then appearing to do her best not to kill her targets. The video feeds are framed to show this prolonged her team's escape from Stronghold, ending with Iona's following the motorcycle around as it circles the block only for Iona to eventual blast off with John and Duncan in her magnetic hold. That last image is left frozen on the screen, asking the unvoiced question: why hadn't she just done that to begin with?

"Do not become demoralized. I want you to improve. To that end, you need to see and hear these things."

Monday 23th, March 2019 - An Ascendant and his Arms

Andrew starts to shake his head, then winces, and stop himself from proceeding further with that particular expression of body language. He was quiet a short while, thinking. Then he exhales a breath and finally replied verbally.

"They all had masks on and spoke in Spanish. I don't speak Spanish. One of them, a big guy, had a full head jaguar mask. Real life-like. It's mouth even moved when he talked. Think it may have even blinked."

The Private stared into the middle distance, somewhere past Diego. When his vision came back into focus he blinked a couple times, seeming to suddenly remember something.

"One of the others dropped his cellphone in the fight. I managed to grab it before things went black. Should be with my things. Ask the nurse."
Last edited by Sakuro on Sun May 16, 2021 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego nodded in acknowledgment of the mans efforts. Even pawns needed to have a sign of respect before they are sacrificed for the bigger goals. "Rest now Private. You are in good hands here and did good grabbing the mask.", replies Diego when the man finishes talking. The nearly life like Jaguar head bothered Diego. Did the Jaguars have access to super science to make powered individuals? Stronghold certainly had access to it, even if understanding it was difficult. Reapers had the vehicles. Jaguars having transformational technology maybe wasn't good.

Diego lets the man rest while he heads over to the nurse. She was busy as expected, but so what. She would be able to point Diego where he needed. "The Private said he came in with some things. Where were they put?", inquires Diego. His voice changed back to the emotionless native voice while his appearance was human like for now.
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

Iona
HP: 1
VP:1
Cnd: Bruised (-3 to DCs)
PP:0
EP:3

"Do not become demoralized. I want you to improve. To that end, you need to see and hear these things."
"I suppose I have mixed motives for showing restraint, Doctor." The young cyborg continues her macabre work on the restrained woman. "I still fear losing the ability to discern when life should be taken and when it should not. I fear losing control...becoming a mindless beast."

As Iona carves another sizable chunk of flesh loose, she tries to avoid eye contact with the "patient". "Another concern is how the public will view us. Not everyone will notice that I used restraint, but some will. I am concerned about the reputation of our cause. That is why I err sometimes on the side of less violence."

Placing the strip of skin in a nearby tray, Iona moves to the dermis on the woman's legs. "In hindsight, perhaps it makes little difference. I don't know, but I can't help feeling that it matters."

"As for not not realizing that I could have altered the electrical element of my field-manipulator to levitate the motorcycle sooner? Well, I had never tried it and that possibility did not immediately occur to me in the heat of battle. It was only when I became desperate that I considered it. I suppose, Doctor, that I have no adequate excuse."

The young cyborg goes silent. She continues her grim work, but it is clear that her efforts are becoming more difficult as the flayed -yet conscious - subject pleads on the table.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

While she labors over the operating table Iona has her back to Dr. Sokolov and cannot see what, if anything, he may be doing. But she can hear him.

"These are combatants. They took up a weapon knowing they may die violently. You do not need to restrain yourself against them. Stronghold will frame the events in a manner that best suits their agenda. With Anastasia's absence, we no longer have control over public perception."

"There is usually little need to harm the general citizenry. They are ignorant and do not know how to care for themselves, so we must care for them. Yet sometimes cancers form in the body of mankind and these must be removed to maintain it's good health. Consider what harm may be done, not only in the now, but the future. Kindness shown in the present can bring woe later. Try not to think of the individual, but rather mankind as a whole. Do what is best for the body, not just a single cell."

When at last Iona is finish skinning the woman and extracting her a portion of her neural fluid Dr. Sokolov gives her directions in which portions of her brain to remove. All of these things end up being stored in separate containers arranged next to the operating table on a stand. After all this in done Dr. Sokolov steps up to the table and inspects the twitching skinless woman.

"Take her to room twelve and place her in one of the vats. The meet me at room ten for your maintenance. Bring these."

Dr. Dokolov motions to the containers with the biological materials that Iona had harvested for her own repairs.

When Diego requests Andrew's personal effects the nurse finishes her current task, which involved some work at a computer, and got up to fetch them. She returns to Diego with a plastic box. Inside he finds some damaged clothes, a set of keys with a mini-flashlight, a black watch who's band was made of woven paracord, a multitool, a minimalist wallet, a pair of 90's era Ray-Bans sunglasses, two cellphones, and the removed batteries of those cellphones. One is a cheap burner. The other looks like a pricy smartphone. The burner phone is easy to get into. Diego just needs to turn it on. The smartphone requires biometric authentication ... and probably a password once you get past that.
OOC wrote:If Diego doesn't intend to do anything further, or do some snooping in the Private's belongings, you may narrate Diego's transition to the computer lab to consult with Vincent.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Diego doesn't bother rummaging through the Privates things too much. it was the phone he cared about. So far, all he had of the Jaguars intel wise was word of mouth and what he saw of their operations. If the phone wasn't just a burner, it might hold something useful. Contact lists, places its been, secret codes likely now changed, etc. Anything would be better than nothing if they were going to get the arms dealer freed and supplying them in mass quantities. Better yet, identify locations of Jaguar weapons stores to raid.

Of the two phones, the cheap burner was likely the Privates, so Diego didn't spend too much time with it. The other phone was more advanced and while Diego figured he might be able to fool biometrics in some fashion eventually, the time it would take would be a bit too much. The sheer amount of combinations was mind boggling without a starting point. Instead of mess around with it himself, Diego took the devices with batteries out to the head of the techies.

Based on the dossiers Diego had read before, he knew Vincent was the assigned department head. Given by Praetor Null, he figured Vincent or someone under him was competent enough to get into the more intelligent phone to pull off useful data. Upon finding the man, Diego, still in is more human looking caged in form, approached in a nonthreatening fashion. "Vincent, I presume.", began Diego to the man who looked like the picture form the personnel file. "Is your staff equipped to get into biometric locked phones? I need to know if there is any useful positional data, the contacts, and phone records of this device.", inquires Diego pulling out the expensive looking smart phone.
Supernaturalist

Iona
Cnd: Bruised (-3 to DCs)

Iona listens to Sokolov’s criticism silently. When he finishes, she responds with a simple “Yes, Doctor. I shall endeavor to do better.

After Doctor Sokolov instructs her to bring the containers, she begins to place them on a metal handcart for transport.
OOC: I’m gonna take some liberties and assume that Iona will not have to physically lift the woman by herself. Instead I’ll assume that some mechanical arms will assist her with lifting the subject and placing her on a stretcher as well as placing her in a vat once she gets to room 12.
Using a nearby keyboard, she instructs a set of mechanical arms to lift the bloodied sheet that the subject is lying upon and to place her on a metal stretcher. Using her power of magnetic-manipulation, Iona then proceeds to move both the stretcher and cart out of the surgical area and down the hallway.

Upon reaching room 12, she opens the door and brings both the cart and stretcher inside before closing the door behind her. Utilizing another keyboard, the cyborg then instructs a set of mechanical aids to slide the still-living body into one of the designated vats. After one last, lengthy glance at the gruesome subject, Iona slowly turns away. Ensuring that the subject is sealed inside the vat, the female cyborg then brings the container-laden cart down a few more doors to room 10.

Upon entering the room, she brings the cart to rest in front of Dr. Sokolov. “The subject is secure in accordance with your wishes, Doctor.”
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

There are no mechanical arms to render assistance to Iona. However she notes that the patient is laying on a magnetic platform laid overtop of the table. Allowing her to lift it via her ability to manipulate magnetic fields. When she does, whatever was keeping the tortured woman conscious abates and she soon goes limp.

There is a strong chemical smell in the 'vat room'. The lighting is subdued. The walls are lined with machinery Iona doesn't understand and cannot even properly identify. Black tubes run from them into clear rectangular containers filled with a pale green goo, Unclothed people occupy the vats. The term 'people' being used loosely. Some of them are so deformed or mutilated they don't look fully human anymore. All of them are unconscious and locked into their respective vat by a closed lid. Iona has no trouble getting her victim stored in the container of mysterious green ooze

Entering the second room the Dr. Sokolov Iona finds a central table with a control interface at the head. Overhead a dozen or more tentacle like limbs extend from the ceiling. Each ending in some kind of tool. The doctor himself is at the head of the table, gesturing through the air. His fingers wiggling in odd patters.

"Undress and lay down on the table."

... Dr. Sokolov instructed without looking at Iona. He was too busy with ... whatever it was he was doing. When Iona does comply and eventually lays on the table, the world goes black as she looses consciousness. Then, like blinding, she wakes. Her body is repaired. The tentacle-limbs are retracting from her. The materials she harvested previously are gone. Dr. Sokolov is can be seen removing gloves from his hands while appraising Iona as she rouses.

The computer lab is divided into two section. Up front is a more public area with computers set up for base staff to use for any number of projects. Sometimes even personal use. In the back is, in a locked off section, is where Vincent and his people operate, acting as tech support for missions running out of your base and, to a very limited degree, asking as a cyber warfare division.

Mr. Braxton is perhaps in her late twenties, black haired, blue eyed, and clean shaven. He dresses in a black suit and white button down shirt. Minus a tie, and with the top button of his shirt undone. A set of thin white frame glasses rest on his nose, and as she hovers over people's shoulders monitoring their work and providing directions or correction, he speak in a light British accent. When Diego comes upon him he is managing, more than doing.

"Mr. Braxton will do."

He states when Diego addresses him. The man looks Diego over briefly, though his expression remains neutral. Then the smartphone is mentioned, and shown to Vincent. He regards the device before taking it into his right hand.

"I should be able to come up with something. It may take a while. There is a lot on my plate after what happened in Ward 8."

OOC wrote:Unless you want to engage with Vincent, we'll end the scene here and I'll work on starting things up in the main IC thread tomorrow of the next day.
Supernaturalist

Iona
Cnd: Normal

After scrutinizing her body, the young cyborg looks to her Master. “May I get dressed now or is there more maintenance?

Following Dr. Sokolov’s instructions, Iona continues to speak. “Are there any special requests or instructions that you have of me when I return to the base, Doctor? The man named ‘Carter’ could be well enough for transports in a few weeks. He was wounded very badly, but was in stable condition when I left.

Pausing briefly to allow his response, she then changes the subject to address her own needs. “I have a couple of requests, Doctor. I’m not sure if you are able or willing to help, but I shall ask. I am very concerned about the intense Stronghold activity in the ward where our present base is located. I have every intention to establish the foundation for another base, just in case ours is discovered. Would you be willing to divulge any prime locations for a new base? Preferably in a part of the city that is well away from our present location.

Again she allows Sokolov time to respond, following up with a few pertinent questions about the location before again asking another request.

My other need is regarding medical equipment. On the mission prior to our last, some medical equipment was unfortunately lost. Do you have any surplus medical equipment with which you might be willing to part? Perhaps I could compensate you somehow from our base?
OOC: I still have 3 ep left. Would I be able to spend them to get some needed medical equipment from Dr. Sokolov?
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

"Go ahead and get dressed."

A hand freshly relieve of it's glove gestures ascendingly in Iona's direction. Then it begins dancing through the air again. While Iona talks she cant ell that she only retains a fraction of the doctor's attentions as he spares past her, his white lab coat fluttering with the constant motion of his hands through the air.

"I will arrange for your infirmary to be resupplied. As to your other request ... I will give it some thought. You need to be careful. Setting up a base of operations takes time and resources. Both of which could be used elsewhere."

There is a brief pause before he backtracks to Iona's earlier comments concerning the young man she had described from her endeavors in Ward 8.

"Carter was to assist you. That is his assignment. I appraised him of the location of your head quarters and encouraged him to approach you there. Like many young people he isn't aware of his limitations. I hope you will look out for him."

A period of silence follows as he seems to think on something Iona had said.

"There is some thing you can do for me in the course of your overarching mission. A criminal organization called the Jaguars is operating in Hadron City. It has come to my attention that they are in possession of some technology that grants a number of their members enhanced physical attributes. I would like you to find out what that is. It would be best if I controlled such technology. Others would be irresponsible in it's use."
OOC wrote:If Iona is able to find out what is empowering the Jaguars, and ensure that Dr. Sokolov is able to retain sole ownership of it she will earn herself 1 Favor with Dr. Sokolov.
Supernaturalist

Iona
Cnd: Normal

As the young cyborg clothes herself, she listens to her master speak until he finishes.

Thank you for the replacement equipment. I shall endeavor to care for it better than last time.

As for Carter, I shall do my best to see him nursed back to health and returned to you in short order. I fear that Ascendant Diego may object to that. If he and Praetor Null are adamant about his interrogation, incarceration, or execution, then there may be little I can do. But you have my word that I shall lobby for his life and eventual return to your supervision."

Concerning this technology possessed by the Jaguars, I shall have to educate myself about this gang. Admittedly I know very little about them. But if I do encounter them, I shall do everything in my power to identify the location of this technology and facilitate your acquisition of it. If I must contact you on short notice, how could I safely do so?"

Adjusting the last items of her clothing, Iona looks herself over before directing her attention back to Dr. Sokolov. “I have one last question before departing, Doctor. After Dr. Applegate has had a chance to grow the Viridi Mater algae, would you care to have any for your own personal research? It is my opinion that having the species under your research and development as well as Dr. Applegate’s would spur greater technological discoveries than would experimentation in only one laboratory. Should I lobby Praetor Null for permission to bring you a specimen?"
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

When Iona asks about a means of contacting her creator on short notice, Dr. Sokolov provides a telephone number.

"Leave a message at that number and I will arrange for you to be brought in for a dialog."

Zory allowed Iona to talk uninterrupted. Though he listened, his was no idle, as his hand worked through the air as if shaping clay. He did pause when she proposed lobbying with Null to allow him to research the Viridi Mater. Long enough to sneer.

"Research the Viridi Mater? Pебенок ..."

He uttered that single work with a perfect Russian accent before returning to mid-west Kansas again.

"... I made the Vridi Mater. Everything Dr. Applegate knows about it, and could ever learn of it, I already know. It should be in my possession, but you delivered it into Null's hands. Now it is to late."

There was clear distaste in the prospect of Null controlling the algae. Dr. Sokolov's last statement was definitive. Final. As if some battle had been waged and lost without Iona even realizing it. He abruptly moves on, however.

"If you are not in a hurry to depart, you may assist me with some work."
OOC wrote:We can wrap the scene up there, unless there unless there is something more you want to accomplish. If Iona decided to stick around and help Dr. Sokolov she'll get to help him with one of his projects, but we won't play that out.

Dr. Sokolov will have information about a prospective site for a new base when she comes n for maintenance again. Remind me if I forget.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Saturday 21th, March 2019 - A Night on the Town

John and the team working under Ascendant Chen were supposed to play a support a mission in Singapore. The mission was a bust though, and not long after arriving in country he was on flight back to the states. John was reassigned with a new mission as observer to the people who had fowled up the Singapore mission before it even started. After receiving his orders Zachary handed him a pouch full of gold coins. His paycheck.

He got the feeling that he might not see downtime for a while once he introduced himself at the base he would e operating out of, so John opted to take some RnR while he could. Looking to do some gambling and drinking he could only think of one place to do that in the Hadron City now the Stronghold had moved in, the gangland of Ward 23 that was ruled by the Jaguars. After spreading some money around he got himself an initiation to a gambling den in Initium Novum Tower.

On the fiftieth floor of the mega-structure, John found himself in a casino that looked right out of Las Vegas. Bright light, scantly clad waitresses, diverse games of chance, uniformed game attendants, a bar, and buffet .... it was all there. There were also some very big, very intimidating guards with uzis poking out from under their jackets.
Supernaturalist

John Steiner
HP:1
Cnd:Normal

With a new assignment coming up, a paycheck, and no debt to speak of, John looks to try his luck at a gambling den in the 23rd ward. As an amateur Blackjack player from time to time, he knows exactly what he wants in a casino experience. Upon entering the 50th floor, he pauses to look over the joint.

Let’s see…hot women, complementary drinks if you’re actively gambling at a table, and some Blackjack rules that are a little more generous to the player than the house. Yep…I came to the right place.

Walking over to the currency exchange booth, he allows the cashier to assess the value of his gold coins before exchanging them for chips. Making his way around the floor, he comes to a 6-player Blackjack table with one seat open. Beside the dealer is a card that lists all the rules for the table.

Hmmm…let’s see. The dealer stands on a soft 17, there is a 6-deck shoe, the House pays 3 to 2 on a player Blackjack, the player can Surrender after the initial dealing, and the player can split pairs up to 3 times while doubling down on any split. Wow…These are very generous House rules. They must be making their money by sheer volume of players rather than milking a smaller, wealthier gambling base.

Taking his seat at the table, John nods to the nearby players and places his chips on the table. Shifting a $25 chip from his pile forward, he looks to the dealer, “I’m in.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

When John presents his gold as collateral, rather than cash, he isn't turned away, but the young woman that he speaks with asks him to wait while she brings one of the coins to a backroom for appraisal. She returns and his gold is exchanged for an amount of chips valuing close to what he paycheck from Ascendant Chen was expected to be. If they were cheating him, it wasn't by much.

John notes that each of the blackjack tables seats seven players. Most are filled up, but he finds one with a few seats open. On his approach he notes an older man in a casual suit and a younger woman in street clothes aiming to take a seat on the far right of the dealer. The woman gets there first, not rushing or otherwise seeming to via for the seat, but the man gives her a dirty look when she sits down and he is forced to take one of the middle seats.

The dealer is dressed in a black uniform with yellow trim. Though heading towards middle age, if not already there, she is attractive enough to be a distraction to someone who isn't focused on the game with slightly tan skin and big brown eyes made with well managed make up. Enough to highlight natural beauty without being garish. She greets the new players at they arrive in a slightly accented voice. John wasn't a linguist or expert in accents but it made him think of places like Mexico, Argentina, and Cuba.

John sets his chips down, the game continues with seven people, and dealer calls out the plays as they come.
OOC wrote:We'll roll some dice to see how John does at blackjack. Make three Intellect checks.