[IC] The New Mythos: Trials and Tribulations

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
ichigorno

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: Interlude

Post by ichigorno »

Eric Sams - El Tigre Blanco
H.P.: 1

Eric nodded "No argument there, Velari."

As Felix turned to walk away, he could hear a light 'thud' at his feet. "Looks like you dropped something there, Chief,", Eric said with a sly grin on his face as he bent down to pick it up and offered it to Felix. Then, in a more hushed town, he added, "I think you need this more than I do. Go on, take it." Aloud, Eric said, "Hey, I'm thinking I'll be seeing you again before long. Hopefully in a healthier state."

OOC: Note: Eric is giving Felix his $2500, to aid in his recovery as best he can.

As Felix leaves, Eric turns to the rest. "The PI thing is just an idea, a way to keep us together. We don't have to decide right now, at least I hope not. We should all stay in touch, though; no telling when the stuff is gonna hit the fan once again, right?"
Thanks, and have a nice day :)
------------------------------------------
Robert, aka I'chi'go'no
Doctor Malsyn

Interlude Wrap up

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Well now. Just where to begin?

Fresh out of the job, Eric's started to make plans of his own to set up his own agency for handling 'Large scale' problems rather than the civilian work he covered with Abigail. Of course, the PI herself isn't that happy when she learns what he's been up to, especially when she notices his new partner Velari. Not outright hostile, she's instead declared him to be her rival, and in some ways seems to welcome the competition. Time will only tell if his new venture pans out.
Shacking up at the Fix-I.T. shop Felix is able to put most of his pay into keeping debtors off his back for another few weeks. Customer flow is low as always, but a new face has been making the rounds, a young sorcereress by the name of Antonia Rauch who was spared sentencing through Abigail's effort. In exchange for some lessons, she tries to help out around his shop as much as she can. Her magic is strange, but so was Felix's. Perhaps in a few months with his tutoring she might actually make something of herself. The young man's friends make sure to tease him about his new hanger on whenever they stop by.
While Cheyenne spent time relaxing after such a job well done, the call of a bounty hunter was never truly over. There were plenty of heads she needed to crack, lowlifes she needed to track down, and the occasional bout with a supernatural who's started to let power take control of sense. This time she had the help of a draconic companion, Copper, spending almost as much time around his new human friend as he did with his own family. He wasn't always around, but companionship was rare in this business as it was.
Upon leaving the warehouse after their dealings with Echo, Jenny found that the contingent of spirits outside had vanished, all save for one. Anthony was there to greet her with a warm smile, and was more than happy to walk with her as she traveled back to her typical nightly haunt. He never brought up the fact he'd yet to move on, and Jenny was experienced enough in their world to not bring it up. Her fellow runaways and people down on their luck greeted her in much the same way, though the nosiest among them could almost sense the weight taking up her pockets. For the first time in years, she had money to burn in any way she wished.
For Michael, cleanup was always the least interesting part of the job. All he had to do was stand there and make sure nothing went amiss, perhaps sign off on the occasional paper slipped his way. The most interesting thing aside from Longhorn's capture was a man being rushed out of the building on a gurney, a slew of paramedics crowding him from view. After the last box was packed away and the crew finished clearing out, the elf was left alone to observe the dead silence of a now truly abandoned warehouse. There'd be time before his next job would come in, maybe a week, maybe only a few minutes. Until then he was free, free to clean his weapons, free to take a shower, free to think.

Those who watched the news following the events of that day would learn that the MU-PD have taken most of the credit for what transpired, in what was being lauded as the most successful drug bust in decades. Many of the Mazerunners were already being charged, some testifying in order to lighten their sentences. Theodore Notte's trial was an affair that dragged a lot of attention, before ultimately being charged with several dozen counts of sexual assault among other less savory crimes. Talaal el-Azzi, known to you as 'Dr. Feel Bad' has had his hands bound in iron for the duration of his imprisonment and sentenced multiple counts of Arcane Mischief along with drug possession and intent to sell. Longhorn himself was an interesting case, disappearing into the legal system not long after he entered. Michael was the only one to realize where he'd actually ended up, a Tower Group sponsored Supernatural-Correctional facility, where he'd hopefully remain for years.
As the media continued to tout their lies to the public, on the internet a different story was being told. Spelljunkies and those affected by the gang wars told tales of a band of strange men and women who displayed their supernatural nature openly, using it to fight back the streets previously taken by the Mazerunners and their Source. Nobody yet knows your names, few even know exactly what you look like, but somewhere out there people are looking up to you as the newly-born urban legends you were, the city's "New Mythos."

So, heroes... What's next?
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
ichigorno

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: Interlude

Post by ichigorno »

OOC: Will do.
Last edited by ichigorno on Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert, aka I'chi'go'no
Doctor Malsyn

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: Science and Superstition

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

"Coming to you live from the Clariel Weymouth Convention Center, site of the upcoming Mirum Urbem science expo. People from all over the country are looking to come together despite concerns following 'Inheritance Day' the previous year, in hopes of catching a glimpse at what our future may hold. Companies and independent researchers are boldly stating to the public that even in the face of 'magic', scientific progress marches on. While there have been rumors circulating online that even President Dredge himself may make a historic appearance, the White House has yet to confirm or deny these claims. "~Annah Harkin, LMB-News

We as humanity stand on the cusp of the 22nd century, and for the last few decades technology has been at a standstill. When those anarchists released the Devolution Virus it set human progress back by years as scientific minds all over the world started dropping like flies. Research had only just started to recover before the Inheritance struck. Oddly the return of magic seems to have actually sparked a new scientific revolution, and it's in your city that the fruits of that endeavor are about to make themselves known.

The Mirum Urbem science expo being held this weekend hasn't had the best showing these last few years. This time however the ‘net has been abuzz with rumor and speculation of a whole slew of interesting tech waiting just around the corner. Most attention by far has been drawn to this years technology panels as a result. Apparently new advancements are being made in the fields of cybernetics and robotics, though market-readiness is still questionable. Teran United in particular has been tight-lipped about a secret project they've had on the books, with an upcoming presentation during the convention they boast will boost humanity into a new golden age.

Under the covers however, things are looking rather strange. An agent has recently gone missing while investigating claims that same company was conducting dangerous research into artificing at a nearby facility. While congress has been slow to impose sanctions and restrictions into arcane study, The Tower Group had no such qualms to investigate for themselves.

In the wake of that agent's disappearance, the investigation has fallen upon Mikjáll Lysander, assigned to him in person by his own boss instead of his handler. All restrictions were off, the group wants their agent back at such a cost that they're even authorizing 'outside assistance'. Where the Mazerunner case was a slog, the desperation presented makes it seem like this'll be an absolute nightmare if done solo. Luckily, Agent Lysanthir knew of just the right sort of people to bring in. If the heroics alone didn't appeal to them, perhaps he'd even be able to sweeten the deal by covering their involvement as 'mission expenses'.

On one dreary tuesday evening, several part-time heroes and a dragon find themselves meeting up at a mostly deserted park in your city's downtown area upon Echo's behest. It's May the 19th, a little over a week since you've all been gathered together as a team. Some of you may have met up on your own a few times to bust the heads of criminal scum still littering your streets, yet that doesn't compare at all to the moments like this.

Like usual there's no immediate sign of your spiritual contact, and Jenny can confidently feel that there was no abnormal activity with the local ghost population either. Instead, this time you're met with a familiar, if perhaps mildly aggravating, elven face.

GM: And... Here we are. People are free to enter back into the roleplay at their own pace, though Michael's input will obviously be needed. I'll pop in when it feels appropriate for me to do so.

Ichigorno, if you could make some adjustments to your post or move it to here, I'd appreciate it.
------------
Arkrite

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: The Gathering

Post by Arkrite »

Felix Ian Xavier - Mr. FIX I.T.
HP: 2

The roads had a new king.

The night was light up by seventeen lights as ten tons of armored car rolled down the street. Not with a loud roar, but a low almost quiet rumble one could feel through the ground. Six wheels rolled over everything in it's path without even jostling it's sole occupant.

Felix gave a feral smile as the Herkimer Battle Jitney rounded the corner and rumbled down street after street.

It had been dead, left to rot in a salvage lot. It had taken a bit of horse trading, rebuilding a couple classic sports cars using his magic, to pay for the beast and, if only temporarily, to hold back his creditors. It had taken time, and a complete rebuilding of the engine into a etheric reaction converter, but now he had the best nonlethal military vehicle ever made. Possibly the only remaining one of it's kind.

He cackled in delight as the vehicle came to a perfect stop on a side street, and the lights went out. The maiden voyage was a success. He'd wanted to test it ages ago, but between his medical issues, renovating his shop, and trying to help Toni unlock the mysteries of her own magic? He hadn't had much in the way of spare time.

He climbed up the ladder with an awkward gait, and was thankful that the hatch could be opened automatically, as he climbed up and out of the vehicle. The next plan was some way of quickly entering and exiting, but, well, who had time these days?

He settled his gear as he reached the ground, mentally closing and locking the door as he made his way forward, his staff clicking on the ground with each step. The crack in the glasses was gone, the jacket looked almost the same. There were only two small differences one might notice, had they seen it before.

The jacket was heavier now, with an extra layer of an enhanced kevlar weave he'd created.
And it no longer had a left arm.
ichigorno

Post by ichigorno »

Eric wasn't a happy camper, to say the least. He cursed the bureaucrats who'd laid out how a PI firm had to be set up. First of all, he couldn't operate from his apartment because it wasn't zoned for office space. The only spaces available were near Abby's office...

And second, he couldn't count on Abby to pass along any cases, having declared herself in direct competition with him. Did the woman have a death wish? Sheesh! Ah, well, if she got herself killed investigating a case where Eric's 'special skills' would've been more helpful, then all Eric could do would be to feel sorry for her loss. After all, she was a grown woman and could make her own choices. He still had his contacts in the police department, something she didn't have, so, that could work to his advantage.

Which brought him back to his not having an office. Eric fumed as he recalled his visit to the bank. He didn't quite have the money to start an office and keep it going long enough to build a clientele large enough to ensure the firm's success. Second, in spite of his solid financial status, they were unwilling to give him a loan to cover what he couldn't. They called his ideas for the firm ludicrous and all but shoved him out the door.

Eric thought for a time, then decided to make some calls. His contacts were happy to hear from him, and all of them extracted promises for him to meet them for lunch, or dinner, or coffee, all on his dime of course, since he was the big retiree. Once he told them he was trying to kick-start a PI firm, to a man they offered to pass along his name and number to anyone they thought could use his special touch.

He was beginning to feel better about his chances of getting his PI firm off the ground, of using the hard-earned skills of a 20 police veteran and the talents of a were tiger to make a real difference in this town. He wasn't in the PI business for fame or fortune, just as he'd never sought out the spotlight as a cop. No, even as a kid, he'd felt the need to help, and it was this need that, even after all these years, still burned brightly in his chest.

After speaking with his contacts in the force, Eric picked the phone back up to make one more call. He wasn't sure if his call would be answered; the young man HAD been grievously injured during their last case together, after all, and he might not want to talk to Eric so soon after the traumatic event. Still, if nothing else, they could arrange to get together and shoot the breeze. Truth was, he just wanted to hear that the guy was doing ok. And so, Eric dialed the number and put the phone to his ear, saying softly to himself, "Felix, please answer."
Robert, aka I'chi'go'no
Arkrite

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: The Gathering

Post by Arkrite »

Felix raised an eyebrow as a number he didn't recognize popped up on the office line. With a mental flick he turned on the Bluetooth set in his glasses.

"Y'ello. You've reached the Fix It Shop. You break it, we fix it. How can I help you today?"
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

ooc: I'll presume this happens during the week prior, and not when you're all meeting up.
------------
Bladewind

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: Twists and Turns

Post by Bladewind »

Mikjáll Lysanthir/ Michael Kelly
Condition: Normal
HP: 1

His jacket hung neatly, Michael is wearing his tie slightly loosened. No badge is visible at his waist although the straps and holster of his sidearms are visible now that his his jacket is off. He waits for the group to react to him - verbally or otherwise - before actually speaking.

"We got off to the wrong start." He said casually, but mostly addressing El Tigre. "Two things that need correcting. One, you are anything but amateurs. Two, I'm not a fed, despite what my ID says.

"I'll make this simple, I could use your help. And not in the appear at the end to cover tracks or look like I'm there to take credit.

"I have an assignment that needs more than I can bring to the table, and while I can't offer direct monetary compensation - I am not authorized to recruit and haven't requested authorization - I can likely add things as... expenses."

The image of his boss personally handing him the assignment was one that was hard to get out of his mind. He had nothing against his handler, but the guy was a glorified nerd. Didn't bother Michael overmuch, but the kid enjoyed his job way too much. It would have been amusing if his attempts at displaying his authority weren't undercut by hero worship. Michael thought the guy probably played one too many games of D&D back in the day and now Michael was the living embodiment of his favourite character or something.

"And no NDA garbage or bull about needing an answer before letting you know what the opp is. Unless you want me to take a hike, I'll share my intel."
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
ichigorno

Post by ichigorno »

OOC: That was the intent, yes.

"Sams Investigations, Eric Sams here. I was hoping I could pick your brains about something. See, I'm trying to get my firm off the ground, which, ah, is hard to do without an office. Any ideas how I could operate without one?"
Robert, aka I'chi'go'no
Arkrite

[IC] The New Mythos: Science and Superstition

Post by Arkrite »

**Sometime last week**

"Uh..." Felix blinks trying to put two and two together, then remembered the comments about starting a PI firm, "Oh, yeah, you. I know you."

"I don't know what you need an office for, to be honest, so I'm kind of running blind on this. You could cover a lot of it off a website, run interviews through calls or video chats,"
He pauses, "Why don't you just rent an office?"
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

**Now**

"Okay," Felix says, leaning on the staff in his right hand.

He got the urge to just head out, but the guy didn't bring down an army of government agents onto his doorstep when he was injured. And something about this made the hair on the back of his neck stand on end. And none of it had to do with the agent standing in front of him.

He wasn't sure if that was comforting or terrifying.

"I have no idea what you're asking us to do," He said, deciding to cut to the chase, "It sounds like something's gone pretty sideways if you're coming to us instead of just radioing in backup. So what happened that you need us?"

The end of the day hearing the man out didn't cost him anything. And if he was in trouble, wouldn't he want somebody to listen to him?
ichigorno

Post by ichigorno »

**Sometime last week**

Eric pondered for a moment. "The offices I could afford were all near Abby, and, um, we're not on speaking terms anymore. So, for the time being, no office. But, come to think of it, I don't need an office for meetings, just for storing physical records and such... and my apartment does have the spare room. Ok, sounding better. And a website would be awesome advertisement. So, now I need a web developer. Know any?"
Robert, aka I'chi'go'no
ichigorno

Post by ichigorno »

**Now**

Eric waits for Felix to speak, then he chimes in. "As I see it, you have a problem, and you need help to fix it. Thing is, you don't know us, and we don't know you. And, gotta say it, you ARE going to have to tell us the scenario. And written contracts would be required."
Robert, aka I'chi'go'no
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

**Sometime last week**

"Doing a website isn't hard, I can probably put something together, though it would help if you could give an example of what you're looking for," Felix says, "So you were just looking for an office to meet with customers and somewhere to store your paperwork?"