[IC] The New Mythos: Trials and Tribulations

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: Twists and Turns

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Their weapons are all confiscated without much fuss by Velari. Abigail, after getting over her shock, takes out a pair of cuffs and makes to secure them as fugitives before Felix comes in and uses his drone foam. She quirks a brow at it, but shakes her head before trying to ask any questions. That was by far the least strange thing that she's seen today after all.

"Promise, I promise, I won't- I won't try any more magic, I swear-" She chokes out, starting to loose the battle against crying as Sammy puts on his full intimidating posture. His partner brigns a hand towards his arm, hesitating for a momment, before completing the gesture and patting him twice.

She speaks low, "Hey, settle down. Take a good look at her. She's just a kid."

Her words inspire you to take a better look at her now that she's sitting down just where Felix indicated, hands clenched in her lap. The hood she was wearing has fallen back to reveal more of her features. Her hair is stark white as if bleached, and she dosn't seem more then a few years older then Jenny. You get the impression that under those bagged eyes and pale skin that she may've once been rather pretty. Her emerald eyes lack a certain spark to them, yet it clicks with everyone that this was the very same Antonia Rauch the detectives were hired to find.

Last time Cheyene, Velari, Felix, and Copper saw this girl she was just a common spell-junkie.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Arkrite

Re: [IC] The New Mythos: The Gathering

Post by Arkrite »

Felix Ian Xavier - Mr. FIX I.T.
HP: 0

Even Felix flinches back at the Tiger-Man's glare. He'd had nightmares about being eaten alive by giant cats that were more cuddly than this guy. But that the same point in time, he was used to the omnipresent feeling of doom, and did his best to ignore it.

Passing his staff back to a waiting robotic arm, he pushes up his mirror shades so he can look the girl in the eyes and kneels down to put them more on the same level.

"Look, it's alright," The other robotic arm reached into his coat and pulled out a travel pack of tissues and offered them to the girl, "It might feel like the end of the world, but it's not that bad. You made a few bad decisions, but maybe we can help you get back out."

"Why don't you tell us what happened?"
He asks trying his best to sound reassuring, "The last time we saw you was at the apartment building, and you were there with the Mage's Breath users."
OOC: Well looks like it's time for Good Cop/Giant-Man-Eating-Tiger-Cop ;~)
Persuasion check to try and get the girl chatting: 1D20+4 = [13]+4 = 17
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Cheyenne
HP: 1; Condition: Hunter

Cheyenne stood back as Copper finished off the last of the bad guys and Velari gathered up their weapons. She took a couple moments to aid her as she expertly dismantled any firearms to render them safe as could be.

Then she took up a stance to the side of and within eyeshot of the massive Khan sitting in the office, The Weretfgers presence was setting off her own Hunters instincts and she had to breath deep to get them under control so as not to set off the werebeast and end up in a fight that would have them both in a lot of pain.

She stood silent sentinel as Felix put the mageling at ease her face a mask as she gave an eye and nod to Copper. The Dragons presence settling her own nerves a bit.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

She bites her lip, anxiously rubing her hands together while trying to look anywhere else innthe room besides the justifiably angry and intimidating group of supernsturals. "I was... Always more tollersnt of the stuff, then the others. Didn't have such a nasty crash like my friends did. That day after you all charged the place, it showed us all how powerless we really were. Just playing pretend, while you all had real magic."

Her shoulders rise and fall a fraction of an inch. "So, that night I... Kept using. Huffed through my entire stash, and I felt it, that power at last. Then I started bleeding from my face and passed out. Somehow, I managed to wake up. The magic I took never ended up leaving."

Abigail humms in thought, "First time I've seen an overdose of Source not result in the user ending up burnt out." Her words cause an involuntarily painful memory for Jenny, the image of her friend lying on the ground coming back full force, not even a spirit left behind to tell her it was alright.
------------
ichigorno

Post by ichigorno »

Eric Sams - El Tigre
H.P.: 1

Not taking his eyes off the mage for a second, Eric lowers his head towards Abby. In a voice meant for only Abby to hear, he says, "I know. I'm hoping to remind her of that. Otherwise, she could well face some serious, adult consequences."

Then, he straightens back up, his eyes firmly affixed to the mage's. He hopes that his portrayal of 'bad cop' will convince the girl to unburden herself to the others, who seem a Hell of a lot nicer. The fact that she survived an overdose of the Source does concern him, though...
Thanks, and have a nice day :)
------------------------------------------
Robert, aka I'chi'go'no
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Jenny Ember
HP: 0; LP: 1; Condition: Bruised (-1)

Jenny listened as the other girl told her story- then she stepped forward a bit, moving close enough that she could speak softly, despite the rasp in her voice. "It's a rush, isn't it, being able to DO THINGS. But it's scary too- you have to worry about what it is doing to you, where that power comes from..." She paused and took a breath. "You have to wonder what the price is..."

After another pause, what might be a breath or a sigh, she stepped closer, hoping to get the other girl to look her in the eyes, even if just for a moment. "Listen, I want to try something, if you'll let me. I want to see if you are, you know, still YOU..."

>OOC: So what Jenny wants to try, if the mage lets her, is functionally a detection spell, to determine where the girl is getting her powers. Did the Source change her? Was she a latent Sorceror and the Source unlocked it? Or did her usage leave her open to something moving in? Maybe an Analytical Detect, possibly tied to Postcognition? Her Variable should be able to pull something together but I'm not exactly sure what the game terms would be. Hopefully I'm getting my idea across.

>OOC 2: May be a bit slow or erratic in my responses for a bit. Things are interesting- not bad, exactly but emotionally complicated. Crazy world right now,
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

The odd tenor of Jenny's coice is unsettling, and the girl tries very hard to not look her in the eyes. It's a flicker of embers from with Jenny's eyes that finally manage to entrap her, as Antonia catche's Bob's enchanting gaze. It's too much for her to break off contact right at the start.

"Do you... Think something's wrong with me then?" She asks, her voice becoming unsteady and shrill. "That... that maybe the Source was bad?"

Finally the gaze is broken, her hands come accross her chest to her arms. Despite having a few years on Jenny, the older girl seems weak and frail in the face of this situstion. "A-alright... Okay."

GM: I gotcha mate, it's fine. I'd say it's be an analytic detect magic of some nature. Give that a whirl, and... Shoot me an expertise roll for magic.
------------
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Cheyenne
HP: 1; Condition: Hunter

Chey had a sudden thought and moved over to the thugs where she began riffling through their pockets, and under jackets and such searching for anything and everything. Her Spec Ops training kicking in as she did.

"Abigail was it, give me a hand?" she asked cooly as she took her time searching
Smart suggestion by ark

Chey will investigate the mooks look for clues whatevers there full searchs top to bottom but shell forgo pulling the insides out :lol:

Her investigation check _: 1D20+8 = [9]+8 = 17 not bad keep in mind she does have detect magic so that might aid further in the search. also if someone aids her search might improve the roll

Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Felix raises an eyebrow at Jenny, then turns his attention back to the girl.

"I think I know what happened. She already had the talent, she just didn't know how to tap into it. Her inherent magic is what was holding off the worst of the damage that the drugs were doing," He looks at the girl sadly considering the damage that had been done, "Then she overdosed and got lucky in not dying. After that? Maybe the magic got stronger since it was constantly being used to fight off the drugs, like one uses a muscle, and you just finally got to the point where you could touch it without the drugs, or you just finally learned how to flex that magical muscle from using it."

"Either way," He sighs, "You could have got here without hurting yourself so bad. At least you started using a medium for channeling the energy instead of letting it burn through your body. Did you create your wand yourself?"
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

She turns the piece of wood in her hands, like it were a lifeline. The inscriptions burnt onto it are unfamiliar to Felix off the top of his head, yet they seem Arabic. "I was given it. He said I had a gift, that he'd teach me how to use it..."
------------
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Jenny Ember
HP: 0; LP: 1; Condition: Bruised (-1)

Jenny had quickly ransacked her own pockets to put together a few trinkets which would make a Seeing spell easier. She chanted a few words in what might have been Latin, and waved her hands through a few gestures far less imperious than the ones she had demonstrated during the brief fight. After a heartbeat or two, her eyes began to glow softly with an eerie silver-blue light. At the girl's comment, she leaned forward a bit. "HE who?," she asked softly.

>OOC: Some rolls
-Expertise (Sorcery) 1d20+5= 15
-Insight 1d20+9= 20
-Perception 1d20+8= 24
-Rolls: https://orokos.com/roll/792429

Also, if the inscription is Arabic, Jenny can read it. Let's just hope that it WAS Source unlocking her natural talents and not, say, the sentience from that broken orb finding a new home...
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

It's at the asking of who the man was that she goes tight-lipped, and looks away from the younger girl. Jenny's ritual goes off, allowing her a brief glimpse at the tiger's astral echo. It dances with soft grey flames in the same manner Felix's sparks blue and Cheyenne's throbs red, each a reflection of their sorcerous soul. Instinct tells her that her magic is fresh and new, yet still here. A late-bloomer in regards to her Inheritance.

The wand seems to be inacribed with charms and focci to tame one's magic, yet there's somethibg sinister hidden between the flowling lines of text. A locator spell. The man who designed it wanted to know where hisblittle student was at all times.
------------
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

"Here's a couple free lessons from somebody who learned the hard way," Felix says as he slides his glasses down to examine (and take pictures of) the wand in her hands, "Magic doesn't require a focus to work, but without it all of the stresses are placed on the user."

He pulls back the sleeve on his jacket and shows a scar on his arm, "And it can leave long term damage on you. Always use a focus unless you have no choice."

"The next important thing is to learn how to make these focuses yourself. The magic is in you, nobody can take that away. But if you let them control your ability to get focus devices, your items of power, then you are letting them control you,"
He reaches up and the robot arm places the staff back in his hands, "This took a long time, effort, trial and error, guesswork and money. With it I can do impressive works of magic. But it is just a thing, I can throw this down, walk away and make a new one. A better one."

"And you need to be able to do that too. It will give you freedom, control over your own power, and the ability to expand your powers,"
Felix says holding the staff out towards her to examine, "You've been given a gift, but there are people who will tie you down to exploit it."

"That's what this is, isn't it?"
Felix asks quietly, "They sold you the drugs because you wanted to touch the magic. But now that you have the magic they're promising to show you how to use it, as long as you do what they say?"
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

She opens her mouth a few times as if to speak, the words failing to come to her each time. Somehow she manages to find her voice again, denial clear as day to Felix. "H-he said I was special, unique, that I was finally w-worth something to somebody. Nobody ever cared about me like that before, not like him. Not my school, my friends, not even my family. I just want to... t-to be myself, not what anyone wants me to be."

The feminine detective sighs, leaning against the edge of her desk where her hands were resting behind her. "Kid, you really think nobody cares about you like that?"

Antonia gives no response.

GM: It's cutting closer to the point where you'll need a persuasion check to shift her where you wanna go. Perhaps Jenny might be able to assist on that front...
------------
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Jenny Ember
HP: 0; LP: 0; Condition: Bruised (-1)

Jenny looked the girl over for a while, murmuring a few quiet words here and there- and she looked over the wand as well. She was quiet for another moment or two. "He's right in a way. It looks like the Source changed you, unlocked your natural ability. That makes you really, really lucky. But the magic, that ability, it is YOURS. No one else's, unless you let them control you, let them take it- like whoever gave you that wand. And put a tracking spell on it, so they could find you and follow you wherever you go." She paused, leaning closer again, and spoke, the last traces of that rasp disappearing from her voice. "And people do care- your parents cared enough to hire these two to find you. More than my parents did, that is for sure. So you have to decide how you are going to handle this. Do you put your trust in yourself, and in people who do care, even if they never say it? Or do you lean on someone who used you, and who only cares about you because you're useful- and only as long as you remain useful? And get used to making your OWN decisions. You're a wizard, Harry, and that means very different things to different people. Just look at him (waving at Felix) and then at me. We both have the Gift, the same Gift you have- but does it look like we use our power the same way? Not even close. We have to choose our path- and so do you..."

>OOC:
-Persuasion 1d20+5= 12, roll https://orokos.com/roll/792522 Feh!
-Persuasion (Luck re-roll) 1d20+5= 21, roll https://orokos.com/roll/792526