[The Forever Tree]Rustdeity IC.

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Hoid

Re: [The Forever Tree]Rustdeity IC.

Post by Hoid »

Sakuro wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 3:24 am An eyebrow rose over one eye when Beaumont began to claim innocence over … something. Imperious did not comment, though there was an unspoken 'I may come back to that later' in the expression. Standing at the desk alongside Beaumont he observed the man's reaction the area on the man that had been indicated. A cistern turned into a giant crude oil barrel. What could be hidden amongst that … and was this Mara helping Renner find things? The last question came to mind as Imperious thought on some of the times Renner had found things that no one should have been able to without some kind of special insight or foreknowledge.

"Spooky. In what way do you find it unnerving?"
Beaumont shrugged. “Hard to say, really. Place just unnerves you. Can’t quite place it, the why of it.”
Imperious looked over the map, studied it for a few seconds, then brought his eyes back to Beaumont after the man had time to consider the question posed to him. Then he asked another.

"There was some mention of beastmen. Do you have any reason to believe there might be some in that black zone?"
Beaumont nodded. “Oh, yeah, I could see those bastards coming to a blackzone. Beastmen may be stupid, but they got this, I don’t know, ‘understanding’ of primitive tech—-and that includes fuel. F**k, some of them know how to weaponize the s**t!” He paused. “Didn’t you clean out a whole mess of those things a while back?”
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

"So I have been reminded."

Came Imperious' response to the observation about the beastmen he had dealt with not that long ago. He did not feel any prejudice against the animal people. They had made themselves into an enemy though. On Rustdeity, if you wanted to survive, you crushed your enemies. Imperious considered what Beaumont had said and reflected on the beastmen he had recently dealt with. If there were any belligerent survivors of the group, perhaps ones not present at the time his conflict with their group took place, they could seek reckless revenge. The blackzone's resources might provide them with tools they desired for such an undertaking. During his introspection Imperious was silent, his gaze distant even though he looked either at the map or Beaumont. Eventually he spoke again, gesturing at the map.

"Is there anything else you know about this particular blackzone? It's history or rumors, for example."
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

“Sure,” Beaumont replied. “It was an aquafarm back before it all went to s**t. Then it traded hands for the Nameless God knows how long. Then—-at least, from what I’ve heard, mind you—-some Arcaninauts fought over it. Not sure how it all went down, but one of ‘em died, and his body got sunk into the chamber. This was, oh, twenty years ago? I think? I heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy. You know?

“Can’t tell you when it got flooded with crude, though. But Renner probably went out there on a fuel-run.” Beaumont grinned. “Dumb sumb***h wanted to try out his new buggy. Where the hell he got that thing from, who knows.”
Make a Search roll, please.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Imperious took a moment to process the information that Beaumont shared with him. Then, extending his left hand, he reach out to collect the map from the desk. Carefully rolling it up, he made to insert it back into the protective tube-case he had carried it in.

"Thank you for your time Mr. Beaumont. If you think of anything else that may assist in locating Renner, let Mickey know."

There was a brief pause as he regarded the man across from him, giving Beaumont a chance to chime in with anything else he felt was relevant. If there wasn't, Imperious turned about and departed from the room. On his exit he mentally marked the time. He had been moving quickly. Did Mickey have enough time to carry out the task he'd given her?
OOC wrote:Not sure what the roll is pertaining to, otherwise I would have included some description.

Search: 1d20+2 7
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

As Imperious is on his way out, he half-glimpses a box of cubestuff—-basically tasteless food designed to keep you alive and little more. But he can see, just inside the open cubestuff container, a stim cartridge.

Stimulants are powerful medicines, giving ordinary men incredible strength....but at a horrific cost. They were heinously addictive. It was clear Beaumont would’ve covered it up, had he knew you were coming. As it were, it was already half-covered.

“Sure thing, boss-man,” Beaumont replied.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

After tucking the map-tube into his coat Imperious pauses before leaving the room. His eyes move to the side, then his head turns to follow them a few seconds later. Pacing towards the box of food cubes he extends a hand down to collect the stimulant cartridge. Lifting it to eye level he inspects it. Then, turning around he faces Beaumont, holding the cartridge towards the man, though not actually offering it up. When Imperious spoke next there was an edge to his words.

"This is a tool to be used only in times of desperate need. I doubt that is how it is being used here. Explain yourself."

As he demands an explanation from Beaumont metallic plates, like smack glistening scales, form around his eyes until the entire eyelids are covered in them. Then lenses of brilliant emerald green slides over each of his eyes. While he waited for Beaumont's response he studied the man's body through the 'eye' of Shi'Halal.
OOC wrote:Would it be reasonable to use a combination of his Super Senses (namely Visual Detect Life, X-Ray Vision, and Microscopic Vision) along with Knowledge Life Sciences to reflect "scanning" Beaumont for the stimulant, and getting an understanding of how it has affected/damaged him? TO save time I will include a roll in case you feel this is valid.

Life Sciences: 1d20+12 15
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Beaumont immediately steps forward to try to take the cartridge. His face flushed, he says, “I have every right to that! I found it! It’s mine! Give it back to me!
OOC:
Interestingly, he doesn’t have a trace of it in him.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Curling his fingers inwards Imperious forms a loose fist around the cartridge. The gesture as much a warning for Beaumont as it was to keep the stimulant from being taken out of his grasp. The vibrant green lenses peals back from is eyes and the black scales on his eyelids melt into his skin like water being absorbed by soil. The edge leaves his voice as he speaks now. Instead there was a tempered warning.

"I will only take this from you if I feel you are going to abuse it. Do you know what it is?"
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Beaumont yells, “I know what the f***k it is! Give it back to me! It’s mine!” There’s a desperate look on his face. Still, Imperious can find no trace in the man’s System, but he’s acting very much like an addict.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Imperious' unbringing told him he shouldn't let someone talk to him in such a tone as the one Beaumont was using. Action should be taken to discourage it, and remind the offender they should never raise their voice to him. Small things grew, and bloomed into descent. But he studied the disposition of the man infront of him. He was not himself the moment the combat drugs became an issue to be contested. Calming his voice he spoke reassuringly now.

"It is your's. I am not denying that. Your wellbeing is my concern though. Until I am convinced you are going to use the stimulant responsibly and are able to manage the drug's hold on you, it will remain in my care."

Lowering his arm, and the hand that held the stimulants, he spoke more firmly now.

"Go to Mr. Ashton. Tell him about the stimulant, and ask for his help in managing their side-effects."
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Beaumont looked shaken. “I’m not taking them,” he muttered. “I...”

He takes a deep breath and heads over to his bed. Under the mattress he pulls out a pile of incredibly slender books—-each no more than 30 pages long—-and art covered them from front to back. Bright, vivid colors, undimmed by time, astonishing costumes, capes, masks—-these tiny books depicted legendary heroism. Beaumont handed them over. “I’m trading that s***t for these.” His eyes lit up. “These are texts from before the Catastrophe! When gods walked among men! This is valuable!”
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Confusion flickered across Imperious' face when Beaumont claimed to not be taking the stimulants. The confusion turned to curiosity as Beaumont explained that he was trading the drug for literature. About the past. Historical documents. It sounded like a worthwhile pursuit, even if the goods he used to trade were double edged. He looked the pictures and text over without taking them from Beaumont. After a prolonged period of silence on his part Imperious brought his arm back up and uncurled his fingers to expose the stim cartridge.

"Who are you trading the stimulants to? Someone in Bastion who is hurting themselves with them or someone outside our walls who could become a threat?"
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Beaumont ran his hands through his hair, a dismayed look on his face. “Just...just some outsiders! I trust them! I’ve dealing with ‘em for years! And besides, I’m not the guy who gets the—-“. After that, Beaumont immediately shut up.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

A slow thoughtful nod is given when Beaumont describes the situation more, explaining that he trusted the people he was selling a potentially dangerious weapon to in return for pieces of parchment.

"Perhaps they are trustworthy. I will respect your judgement in this. However, you do not control who they trade with."

Imperious was about to say more, but he stopped to listen to what else the man before his was primed to say. Then Beaumont suspiciously stopped himself in the middle of a sentence. That noble eyebrow rose then, as it had when he had intruded upon Beaumont earlier. The man had been acting suspicious then as well. Rather than wait for Beaumont to resume speaking of his own initiative, or speaking at length himself, Imperious gave the other man a prompting to continue. A verbal nudge.

"Go on. You are not the man who gets …. what?"
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Beaumont blanched. “Nuh-noth—-“

At that point the door opens up and in walks Jonah, a man known for his love of gambling and an insane self-confidence in tight situations. Jonah was one of the scouts who frequently went out to scavenge. “Beaumont, you dumb f—-“ He stopped and stared at Imperious. “Sorry,” Jonah said, “I’ll wait outside, boss-man. Nothing big. Um, sorry.”