[The Forever Tree]Rustdeity IC.

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Sakuro

Re: [The Forever Tree]Rustdeity IC.

Post by Sakuro »

On spotting the vehicle Imperious descends from the sky, moving at a downward angle until he feet touch down meters from the buggy. Closing the rest of the distance on foot he begins to inspect the charged craft. He was not a mechanic, but this did not stop Imperious from checking the structural damage and looking for items that had been left behind. As he did so Imperious addressed the person.

"Hello. I know the man who came here with you. I thought the two of you might need my help. Do you still function? What happened here? Where did the man go?"

The questions came slowly giving the machine time to respond before the next was ask, if it responded at all.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

The vehicle, when it ‘spoke’, said in a whisper, “Burning, burning, burning... Driver burning. Black water burning. The thing below, burning. Burning, burning, burning...” Then it fell quiet.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Thing below, the buggy had said. Did that mean some previously dorman Arcinaunt had roused? The one Beaumont mentioned having fallen into the depths. Or something else? Some sturdy auquatic beast. The voice the vehicle spoke in was not animated, and understandably so given th damage it had suffered. Imperious did not press it with further questions. Instead he placed a hand on it's frame in a reassuring manner.

"If he lives, I will return your driver to you, and both of you to home."

Then Imperious looked down … through the blackzone's floor and into the depths beyond. What lay beneath? The buggy had mentioned a thing below burning. Was it still there? Or some sign of it's passage?
OOC wrote:In case it is needed, a Search roll.

Search: 1d20+2 14

Super-Senses being used during the Search: X-Ray Vision, Detect Life, and Ultra-vision
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

The darkness beneath was thick, and Imperious saw wreckage of all kinds obscured below: turbines from crashed aircraft, an Iron Enginseer transport scissored in half, embedded in the chamber’s walls...but no Arcaninaut.

But Renner? Yes, there he was, burnt to a crisp and slowly sinking to the bottom. His stomach seemed to have exploded from within, and unknowably alien parasites the size of housecats fed on Renner’s innards.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

No Arcinaut. Where had it gone? Renner eated out from the inside. The medical personnel at Bastion should have played more credence to his complaints. As Imperious watched the alien parasites feast on the tortured man's corpse he spoke to the buggy.

"The driver is dead."

Imperious narrowed his eyes thoughtfully as he watched the parasites. Was it the possible threat of collecting one for study? Were they, or the missing Arcinaut, the person Renner was truly speaking with and not his dead sister? Leveling his gaze Imperious raised his voice into a shout.

"Mara, sister of Renner, are you there? Do you hear me?"
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

An insectile clicking noise fills the air. From everywhere, from nowhere, a genderless, shrill voice booms forth: “I See You, Shining Godling, Far From Home. You’ve Come All This Way...Just To Die!”
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Whatever Imperious was expecting, it wasn't the voice that responded. Reflexively he took a step to the side, as though to avoid a blow that didn't come. As it spoke, he consider the way it sounded. Insect like. Which brought to mind the parasites he had seen chewing on Renner's inards in the murk below. Lowering hsi gaze to the toxic waters beneath him he checked on the exotic … perhaps xenogeny … life. Then he level his gaze and began to look around, looking for a source to the voice. Reaching out with his senses and those lent to him by his armor-companion.

"There is a story here. I would hate to die not knowing it. What are you called? Are you the one who brought Renner here?"
OOC wrote:Is Imperious' Mental Sense (Danger Sense is attached to that) … or Shi'Halal's Detect Life able to pick up on able anything?
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

OOC:
You can make a Search roll, yes.
When the voice next spoke, it seemed amused. “He Was Easy Prey, The One You Seek.” Laughter came from everywhere and nowhere at once. “Such A Weak Mind, Such A Human Mind...”
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

One of those under his protection had been killed. Renner was his .. not this thing's to prey upon. Beyond morality, it was a challange against him, and his ability to protect those under his watch ... which he'd failed in here. Imperious held his emotion in check though. Not stoic, but in check. Without turning he began to pace away from the buggy. When conflict inevitably ensued he wanted to minimize the chance of the vehicle suffering further damage. In the meantime … keep the thing communicating. See what it would reveal about itself until he found it and knew what to strike at.

"So you toyed with him and pretended you were someone he knew, is that it? Was it fun for you, or just a meal?"
OOC wrote:Search: 1d20+2 16

Senses that might be valid for finding the voice's owner: Mental Sense, Detect Life.

As a note if his Danger Sense warns him of an incoming threat Imperious getting ready to switch Imperious "Communion" array to the Immunity to Mental effects. Giving the Search a chance, first, in case he needs to "hear" what I'm guessing is telepathy in order to pin the thing down.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Again, laughter, a harsh, chittering noise. “He Wanted To Believe His Sibling Lived...Or She Forgave Him, At Least, For Leaving Her To DIE.”
OOC:
Interestingly enough, it’s coming from three locations, but registering as one Mind. Plus, one of the three organisms you’re sensing is substantially more complex, genetically speaking, than the other two. You know the locations of all three. They’re circling around you, equidistant from each other. They’re doing their best to remain hidden.
I Needed Up And Out Of This Tarry Hell...”
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

"You should have called to me. I would have put you out of your misery quickly."

Imperious called out after he had found what he was looking for. As he spoke black scaled armor shifted over his right forearm, molding into the shape of a weapon. A cannon. While this took place Imperious made to spun around. His arm rose, aimed the cannon at the being which the sight he borrowed from Shi'Halal indicated the most complex. White light frothed at the mouth of the weapon, before being expelled in a brilliant ray of crackling energy.
OOC wrote:Now that he has identified the source, Imperious will attack. In case he manages to surprise the Arcinaut, or beat it in the Initiative, I'll roll his Attack in addition to Initiative.

Initiative: 1d20+10 24
Attack Arcinaut "main body" with Blast 16: 1d20+14 17
HP: 1
Conditions: Healthy
Communion Array: Immunity to all Mental Effects.
Blast "Arsenal" Dynamic Array: Blast 16
Flight "Utility" Dynamic Array: Visual Detect Life, Ultra-Vision Extended x3 … haven't indicated what the rest is spent on yet.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

OOC:
CoyoteCode is being a pain in the ass. Hold on...

EDIT: Well, this is embarrassing. CoyoteCode appears crapped out. *sigh* Any suggestions on a replacement (preferably one where I don’t have to have a membership)?

Alright, let’s give this a shot:
Roll(1d20)+5:
20,+5
Total:25

Initiative

This is the Wizards dice roller, which frustratingly refuses to let me link to the results of the roll. I can make rolls just fine...but showing those rolls is...problematic. *sigh*
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

OOC:
Sorry for the delay, Sakuro! I kept looking, but...nada. Anyhow...
Initiative for mysterious critter:
1d20+5 = 25.

Yes,” the voice continued. “I Needed Up...But Also, I Need Fed!”

From nowhere rushed a tiny creature less than a foot tall, vaguely human-ish in shape, trailing behind it a pair of tentacles many feet long. It’s mouth and eyes were mere slits, but it’s nose and ears were gargantuan. As it raced past Imperious, one tentacle lashed out in an exploratory attack.

Attack roll for mysterious critter:
1d20+5 = 10. Swing, batta-batta!

It lashed out, but Imperious was ready, and the attack fell short.
Last edited by Hoid on Fri May 10, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Imperious wove to the side as the creature's tentacles lashed out of him. One of three., he reminded himself as the small freakish form rush past in it's probing assault. He kept a bead on what had been his previous target though. The more complex lifeform. Tracking it with his arm cannon, the weapon shifted as he moved, physical composition reconfiguring such that the barrel sealed over and complex sonic emitters form in the previous hollow space.

"Tell me then, how does this taste?"

After posing his question the weapon fired, sending a channeled sonic scream towards his target.
OOC wrote:The "big ears" might be a que at some vulnerability. Going to use a Sonic descriptor for Imperious' attack this time around.

(Sonic) Blast 16: 1d20+14 31
HP: 1
Conditions: Healthy
Communion Array: Immunity to all Mental Effects.
Blast "Arsenal" Dynamic Array: Blast 16
Flight "Utility" Dynamic Array: Visual Detect Life, Ultra-Vision Extended x3.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Toughness roll for the mysterious critter:
1d20+4 = 10. Failed by well over 15. Ouch!

The small creature’s head explodes under the sonic assault, brains flying in every direction as its body fell limp into the oily muck.

The other two bodies rushed out of nowhere:
One body was small like the one Imperious’d just destroyed, and also equipped with tentacles.
The other body was very tall and very lean, with no tentacles but almost comically long antennae growing from its forehead. This much taller body wore soiled human clothing and bore a faded tattoo of some sort on its chest.

The small creature raced forward, and lashed out with its tentacles.

Snare attempt by mysterious critter:
1d20+6 = 15. Make a Reflex save.

Meanwhile, the larger, taller creature furrowed its ridged unibrow...and concentrated. There was seemingly, however, no visible effect.