[The Forever Tree]Rustdeity IC.

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Hoid

Re: [The Forever Tree]Rustdeity IC.

Post by Hoid »

Upon reaching the Iron Father, racing down from floor to floor to floor—-whirring by wonders of a lost age—-Imperious and Nepenthe find themselves in a vast chamber with an enormous Icon-core in the exact center of the room, cords leading to it.

Dozens of Enginseers move to and fro setting up delicate, irreplaceable technology. The Iron Father himself, Imperious can see with his X-ray vision, is 99% machine, only tiny bits of his brain remain. He’s been heavily ‘borged out in every single respect, a hulking figure, indeed. A crimson red cape is draped across his ridiculously wide shoulders, and his cyberhands end of monofilament blades for fingers. A glowing gem in set in his robotic forehead, clearly an add-on of some sort.

He looks at Imperious and nods. “I knew one day we’d meet. I wish it were under better circumstances.” He gestures at the core. “We will disable, disconnect and depower that core in about an hour’s more time. It is a vitally necessary project, if we are to get this city up and running again.”
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Imperious slowed down at reaching the entrance to the room and set Nepenthe down at his side. He didn't want to startle the Enginseers by rushing into their midst and prompting a knee-jerk reaction from any of them. The rest of the way was walked to the Iron Father. As he advanced Shi'Halal's black star speckled helmet broke apart into tiny scales the flowed away from his face and head, receding into his neck. Stopping a meter or so from the large cyborg he gestured to his female companion.

"Iron Father Harad’din. This is Lady Jocasta of Mars."

When the core the Enginseers were laboring over as indicated, Lucas turned his artificially emerald green eyes to the piece of machinery. He studied it, as though it were a beating heart separated from it's body.

"This is the datacore corresponding to the LunDun Datasphere's chief administrative Icon's emotions. The datacore corresponding to her mind remains in the depths of the tower. That will be needed as well."

At that statement he brought his eyes back to the Iron Father.

"What can you tell me about the threat present in the lower levels, and the layout of the sublevels?"
OOC wrote:
HP: 1
Defense: 20
Conditions: Healthy
Encephalon: Deactivated
Communion Array: Impervious Toughness 20
Blast "Arsenal" Dynamic Array: Datalink 20 [Power Feat: Machine Control (+1 pp), Dimensional 3 (+3 pp)] ; Enhanced Skills 1 [Computers 8]
Flight "Utility" Dynamic Array: Flight 4 ; Quickness 15 ; X-Ray Vision Extended x5
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

The Iron Father harumphs, as if annoyed, but says, “We need to disable this ‘Alice’ Icon in order to beginning repairing it. It has been functionally brain-dead for millennia, and it no longer has conscious thought. We’re finishing the Cybernetic lobotomization. Then, we bring in our replacement core, and plug it in. LunDun would be up and running within a week!

“The credit goes to you, you know? That planetwide reboot reactivated machines in our possession we ourselves could not personally reactivate. Suddenly, thanks to you, a whole arsenal of tools has been opened up.

“And what’s this poppycock concerning a ‘threat’ in the lower levels? Do you mean the beastmen? We still have soldiers down there, cleaning them out. It’s been heavy fighting, but our troops understand what they fight for.

“You’ve seen the space elevator here, yes? If we can reactivate or replace the Icon in charge on LunDun, we can have it call in...a Space Claw. Never heard of it? It’s a legend among we Enginseers. A golem of epic proportions, able to repair that space elevator in a matter of days. For millennia we thought it lost....until ten months ago, when we found in deep space between Rustdeity and Mars. We can’t activate it, but it’s otherwise in perfect working order. Alice—-or it’s replacement—-can command the Space Claw to carry out its function.

“With the space elevator working again, we can begin to gather the graveyard of ships above—-reactivating them. Healing Rustdeity will be so much easier when my people suddenly have easy access to outer space. Less of a burden of you, my friend.”
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Lucas was quiet as the cyborg spoke. Listening without showing sign that he would interrupt. A subtle shake of the head is given when the Iron Father mentions the Space Claw. It quite a destructive name for a Golem that was used for repairing the space elevator.

"Are you able to delay the lobotomization? I would prefer to restore Alice, if it proves viable. A substitute could bring about unforeseen complications. Replacing her should be a backup option. Not our goal."

He paused reflecting over the mention of the Beastmen that the Enginseers were fighting. That didn't explain the explosive plant mater that had torn the Enginseers apart from the inside out. Unless there was a psychic among the Beastmen. Imperious didn't argue the matter.

"I was warned of a hostile presence in the lower levels. Most likely the Beastmen you mentioned. Perhaps something more. In either case, time is limited. I will descend and help retrieve the Alice mind-core in the lower levels. Have you been able to locate it?"

OOC wrote:
Blast "Arsenal" Dynamic Array: Datalink 20 [Power Feat: Machine Control (+1 pp), Dimensional 3 (+3 pp)] ; Enhanced Skills 1 [Computers 8]
Flight "Utility" Dynamic Array: Flight 4 ; Quickness 15 ; X-Ray Vision Extended x5
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

“Either way is acceptable, to me,” Harad’dim nods.

“As to the core below, we are still searching. Our search is frustrating—-the core exists at multiple locations at once. When we reach a place it exists, it stops existing there. There are thousands of these potential hidey-holes. Forcing it to materialize in a single, self-contained location will take...EFFORT, extreme effort.

“But it will all be worth when the Space Claw is reactivated.

“We sought the Moonfire Key for this very reason. We could slowly lock each hiding place, slowing limiting it down to one location. Then, it is ours.”
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Lucas' head moved in a slow nod of agreement, mirroring the Iron Father's body language as the goals they voiced aligned.

"Good. Forward what you have mapped out of the tower's lower levels to my armor. Include the locations of the Beastmen and tower security systems. If all goes well we will fortify the health of the LunDun Datasphere and be one step closer to reliable void-travel."

His head turned, looking to the stair leading down into the clock tower's depths. After a short pause he looked back to Harad’dim.

"Let your soldiers know of my presence. I do not want to subvert your authority over your people, however I will expect them to follow my orders."

There was a measure of a warning in Lucas' words. He didn't want to diminish the Iron Father's position, but Lucas lead. Others followed. Challengers to that paradigm weren't tolerated. Without waiting for a response to that black armored scales erupted from his neck and crawled their way up his face and head, rapidly linking into place for form Shi'Halal's helmet. As that happened he turned and walked to the stairwell.

OOC wrote:Assuming Harad’dim sends him a map, are there any points of interest it would be good to be aware of?
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

The Iron Father nods in agreement. “Done.”
OOC:
Points of interest?
Well, they’ve secured several, already. A ‘clean’ fusion reactor, enough juice in it to power a healthy LunDun for a week; a library of data crystals FULL of lost knowledge; a robotics factory super-specialized in making golems explicitly made to repair Gargantuan Benjamin; AND the tomb of King Albert XX, last regional monarch of LunDun, nearly seven thousand years dead.

Lots of places, like that.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

After receiving the map from the Iron Father Imperious forwards a copy to Nepenthe for her perusal. While he planned out his strategy Lucas maintained a mundane pace, walking briskly alongside the Imperial Princess.

"Shi'Halal, were you able to identify the local FireWall Icon? They may best know the security systems of the area. Or at least provide us some insight into the mechanisms relocating Alice's mind-core."

In front of him, in his helmets HUD, Lucas inspected the map. The robotics facility and library were secondary options, if he couldn't consult with the tower's security systems. Mentally he marked those places on the map. If he failed to find a more direct solution, Imperious considered the tomb as an option for answers. If there remained an echo of the old King, perhaps he knew something of the Moonfire Key.
OOC wrote:
Flight "Utility" Dynamic Array: Speed 8 ; Quickness 15 ; X-Ray Vision Extended x5
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

Doing so now,” Shai’Halal confirms, and’s silent a moment. “Lucas, the firewall Icon is dead, but something else is filling it’s empty network. I believe it is some strange form of cybernetic plant organism. It is likely related to the plant matter involved in the dead Enginseers we found above. I need to examine it to be sure, but...it’s organizing, experimentally spitting out code. Most of it is gibberish, but it’s gaining more coherency every second. It is...becoming sentient. Or, at least, TRYING to.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Lucas' eyes narrowed at the mention of the dead FireWall Icon. What this cybernetic plant the Jabberwocky? So far it seemed hostile. Slain Enginseers. Taking up the network space of a deceased Icon. Had it terminated the Icon, or was it filling space already vacant? It was cybernetic, indicating a design behind it's actions. The question was it actively being directed by a third party, or was this growing sentience motivated by it's own drives? Was it actively hostile, or reacting with animalistic instinct thus far? While he considered how to handle the invasive plant he pressed forward in his dialog with his armor. It needed to be confronted, regardless.

"Are you able to locate where the cybernetic plant is operating from? It's equivalent of a datacore."
OOC wrote:
Flight "Utility" Dynamic Array: Speed 8 ; Quickness 15 ; X-Ray Vision Extended x5
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

No,” comes Shai’Halal’s answer. “I will need to physically hack the system...assuming that even possible. This is, after all, the very definition of ‘alien computer system’.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

She would need to physically hack the cybernetic plant to find it's location? A quizzical expression crossed Lucas' face. Perhaps her response was poorly worded, or maybe she did not understand what he was asking. In either case, he took it to mean that Shi'Halal was unable to determine where the hostile plant was operating from while taking over the tower's FireWall network. So he steered her towards another method of gaining the information they needed.

"Review the tower's security systems. Go back to the time the Enginseers exploded from the parasitic plant. Look for the cybernetic plant, and follow it through the feeds to it's present, physical, location."
OOC wrote:
EDIT:
Datalink check: Datalink: 1D20+20 = [7]+20 = 27
Last edited by Sakuro on Wed Sep 01, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hoid

Post by Hoid »

OOC:
She meant she can’t hack it. Finding its ‘core’-equivalent is going to be rather difficult. It’s not as simple as following its tendrils to the source. Sorry if that came across awkwardly.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

OOC wrote:I was waiting to hear the result of the Datalink check. But I doubt it succeeded, and I'm willing to waive it for a smooth reentry into play when you get back.
Shi'Halal clarified. Imperious considered moving to the library, but thought better of it given the circumstances. Better to make contact with allies in the area who had personal knowledge of the area and what was going on there. Looking to the map in his HUD he searched for the indicators of Enginseer activity, then set out for one of them in a blinding blur of brilliant speed.
OOC wrote:
Flight "Utility" Dynamic Array: Speed 13 ; Quickness 10 ; X-Ray Vision Extended x5