The Merge - Gestalt Syndrome (M&M 3rd ED) - IC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Bladewind

The Merge - Gestalt Syndrome (M&M 3rd ED) - IC

Post by Bladewind »

"In a landslide victory, Mayor Callaghan has claimed a second term in office. Running on a platform of stability and acceptance, her goal is to continue to insure the residents of San Fransokyo continue to enjoy the lowest taxes in the country, the best medical care and that we remain a leader in technological advancement.

"Despite the growing concern - not just in San Fransokyo but the world over - of potential metahuman threads, Mayor Callaghan has said that public safety is a number one concern of her administration. She called upon all individuals - powered or not, to step up whenever and however they could. Masked vigilante, costumed superhero, police, fire fighters and all first responders alike - you are our heroes and we need you. Within the limits of law and order that is..."

That was three weeks ago. And while the status quo has been maintained for the most part, Mayor Callaghan has been true to her word... She can be seen and heard tirelessly working for not only her city, but the the country and even the world. Krei Tech Industries, the San Fransokyo Institute of Technology and even the technological metropolis to the north of the city known as Autobot City all work to provide support to the Merged Earth in one way or another. Perhaps because of their technology and science, perhaps because of the number of "normal" humans that these places employ, or perhaps for other reasons... many people find comfort in San Fransokyo and what the city offers vs the things that now go bump in the night...

“Rapsheet or Lawsuit? Rapsheet any day !”

Laughter filled the comms of the four motorcyclists as they moved through the city, returning to HQ. Two police motorcycles, one emergency medical technician and a fire department first responder by the colors and markings on their chassis. Theirs was a tight unit despite the seeming cross departmental disparity in their makeup.

When they stopped at a traffic light, if you squinted and looked intently at the group, you might catch the faint line akin to a refreshing television screen or computer monitor - suggesting holographic riders - on at least three of the riders..

The one who had made the comment about Rapsheet over Lawsuit - the fire department cycle, callsign of Backdraft - scanned the intersection, and his holographic rider obligingly mimicked the function.

“Still,” Backdraft said, “I don’t like this. We’re relatively new to Earth, and this whole Merge thing is something I’m still processing, but I’ve never heard of an organic being spontaneously combusting. What’s more, three of them within a two week period. The odds are, well, I’m sure even Computron would say they’re insane.”

“True,” Came a reply from one of the police bikes, Flic spoke with a slight hint of a French Canadian accent, “But I am certain that there is a force behind this - what do they call them? Metahumans?"

Dart, the paramedic colored bike, interjected. "That's dangerous with no proof." The feminine voice admonished her police-based companion. "The status quo is fragile as it is, people are still reeling from the Incursion and that was already years ago. All we need is fear of fire based meta humans and we start going down paths I'd rather not think about."

Recently, Alice had developed a fondness for peppermint candies - or rather, the Chesire Cat had developed said fondness and had passed it along to his reluctant ally. The little white and red swirly patterned ones... As she popped another of the treats into her mouth, Alice continued on her stroll through the downtown shops of the city. Looking into a window, she saw a reflection of someone behind her and the comment "Orf wiv' 'er head!"

Elsewhere, Pratfall had been entertaining a group of children with his routine when another clown had shown up. He wasn't claiming to be hired or that Pratfall shouldn't be there... but he did start to threaten some of the parents and demand jewelry - which some of them sadly thought was just an act so complied...

Elizabeth Walsh and Rowan McKenzie had both received an invitation in the mail. It was cliched and something of a trope given their backgrounds, but nonetheless it was invite to an occult shop. The initials WR were on the bottom.

John Smith was fixing connections on a set of servers, installing a new software patch on the company's firewall. His co-worker, Murphy Alexander, seemed to be a low-level technopath, something that was almost to be expected in San Fransokyo, but was actually quite uncommon... Together, they were making good time on their task...

Amy was skimming the news when she found something that sent chills down her spine - cases of spontaneous combustion around the world. Granted, it was a conspiracy theory site that was "compiling the evidence," and searches through more credibly sources linked the causes to slightly more mundane gasoline attacks or metahuman activity...

Jameson's congregation was small, and there seemed to be new faces each service mingled with a small but growing number of regulars... today, two in particular caught his eye. Apart that is, from the body builders who came from curiosity and usually left without incident. Those always warranted closer attention. No, the ones that caught his eye were a young man - late teens, early twenties - in a black t-shirt with the S shield on it (it was covered by an open short-sleeve collared shirt) and glasses. The look, probably intentional, kind of said "young Clark Kent." The other was a rather pretty young woman - probably no more than 30 years old. She had black hair and was no one he recognized but had the nagging suspicion he knew from somewhere...

OOC - I have purposefully not stated where exactly you are, although the assumption is that you are making your way to San Fransokyo...
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Bladewind's 3ed M&M Builds
The Merge Setting document
jmucchiello

Re: The Merge - Gestalt Syndrome (M&M 3rd ED) - IC

Post by jmucchiello »

Amy arrived at the clinic on time and began her nursing practicum shift. The day was its normal crowded busy time. It was halfway through the shift when the little boy came in with burns on his hands. Amy flashed to a supervillain getting struck by her flame bolt. No, not her flame bolt, one of their flame bolts. She did not want to think about her causing someone to burn. She managed to steady herself quickly. Still, Rita noticed. Rita was her practicum lead and she said, "Yeah, burns are nasty aren't they? Worst form of injury after large impalement."

"I'm fine," Amy replied and she started carefully treating the burn. "I've seen burns before."

"You have? Nasty stuff." Rita moved on to a different case.

"I know it hurts, Jimmy, but I have to put this ointment on it."

Later, she was waiting for the bus that would take her back to Bodega when she recalled the burned child and wondered if it was related to the article she'd read this morning. Unlikely, she supposed. But now she could not stop thinking about whether spontaneous combustion was still spontaneous when it was caused by a Meta. Down the street she saw people entering a relative nondescript building. Oh, that's that Church of El building. She thought. People really go there? I guess it takes all kinds.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Alice

Thogh she no longer needed to eat or drink she still enjoyed indulging in such activities. Peppermints were growing on her. She decided as she let the candy dissolve slowly in her mouth.

Then somebody shouted "off with her head" in a rather bad english accent behind her.

To her immense credit, she did not react blindly or let instinct take over.

Instead, she turned around and quirked an eyebrow at the offender. "You do realise that saying such things to an Alice isn't the wisest thing to do. Especially an older one." she noted dryly.
Last edited by kirinke on Thu May 30, 2019 11:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Bladewind wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 3:07 pm John Smith was fixing connections on a set of servers, installing a new software patch on the company's firewall. His co-worker, Murphy Alexander, seemed to be a low-level technopath, something that was almost to be expected in San Fransokyo, but was actually quite uncommon... Together, they were making good time on their task...

"All I'm saying, Murph," John says, continuing their conversation, "is that every time I've heard or read 'mutant' or it's equivalent - 'Meta/neo/enhanced/etc/whatever', and 'registration' being grouped together it has not gone well for anybody. But I do agree that the laws need to change a lot. I mean, should teleporters, world-fliers, and global-speedsters carry their passports with them and stop at custom's offices? Though the idea of some overworked customs person asking 'Do you have anything to declare, World-Saving Man?' is kinda funny." he says as he zip-ties the last of the cables into neatly ordered clusters.

"Something pithy this way comes."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Elizabeth "Eli" Walsh
HP: 2
~^v~~v^~

Someone was bleeding.

Eli slowly bunched the bottom of her nice white blouse, the threads fraying as they were ground against her fingers like they were bricks being drug across them. She wanted to look pretty, today. Even wore her nice form fit black leggings that contrasted with her shirt so nicely, and her good pair of black flats. The ones with the floral print. Heels were on her mind, but the last pair she wore snapped embarrassingly while trying them on in the shoe department. All the young woman wanted was to seem like a normal young and fashionable woman once in awhile, even if she rarely did such a thing in school. Maybe it was because of just where she had been invited too. The need to feel as human as possible before braving the store.

Why had she even come? The sun was too bright today, even through her dark rimmed aviators- the sunglasses of choice of policemen everywhere she was told. Before she left her apartment she had deigned to use her sunscreen, but she still had her white cloth parasol dangling from her right hand's wrist. It tended to draw more looks, but she had it with her anyway. Just in case.

A boy. Maybe ten years old. Three hundred feet away. There was a general department store in that area. He must've tried playing with one of the kitchen knives.

She bit down on her lower lip, strong enough that she could actuality draw her own blood. It wasn't the same. Not even close to being enough, barely had any taste at all. It seemed to be that way when it came from others like herself, so it stood to reason her own would be similar. Yet it helped. Drowned out that tantalizing scent on the wind long enough for her hands to unclench, releasing the damaged hem. Inside her chest a hunger still sung, begging her for relief, any drop at all to sooth the pain, a promise to quiet down only when it had just enough. That was always a lie though. Nothing was ever enough. Not for long. It'd only take a whiff of the real deal before her gluttony returned in full.

Her hand ducked into her purse-bag, slung around her left shoulder, to draw red Thermos she had inscribed flowers on with a pink gel pen. Nobody judged her as she twisted the cap off, and tipped the contents to sooth her eager tongue. She liked the taste when it came from a cow. It reminded her almost of milk, which brought back long faded memories of the delicious cheesy nachos she ate with her dad when they went to that football game so many years ago. At the time the taste of the food had been more enthralling then the game itself, but now she remembered how happy her father looked when his team won in the end.

The cap went back on, and her stomach settled into a low rumbling instead of an earsplitting roar.

"Where is it..." She muttered, pulling out her phone to bring up the mall's directory again. The store she was looking for was near a Cold Convo, an odd store chain that mirrored a more familiar one. It must've existed in San Fransokyo's home universe before the Merge. She could see the tell tail arch that was so familiar yet felt just too off for it to have been the one she remembered. Eli was in the right area, at least. "Perfect. Now I just need to look for the voodoo dolls..."
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Cat McKenzie (FG)
HP: 2; LP: 1; Condition: Normal

The black Suburban was not built for the tight confines of the mall parking lot- it hadn't been any fun driving over the bridge from Bay Shore either. But it was durable, and it had been cheap- an awful lot of dark-colored SUVs had dropped out of the Merge, given how prevalent they were in what had been only known as works of fiction.

And besides, the hidden compartments and shaded windows were a big plus, as far as Cat was concerned. Still, if she was going to stay in the area, she would probably want to pick up a motorcycle for errands like this.

She had only been back in Bodega Bay... Nope, scratch that. It was Bay Shore now, and a booming metropolis compared to what it had been, and proud of its growth- she would have to get used to the new name. She had been back in town for only a few days- long enough to unpack most of her stuff (or at least to get it out of the truck). She had spent much of her free time exploring all the new locations that had cropped up since she left, just before the Incursion. She had seen a few familiar faces around, but hadn't really talked to anyone besides her mother- and not even THAT much to her. How long was she going to be around? What was she going to be doing? To be honest, she didn't know the answers to those questions just yet.

So the invitation was a bit of a welcome break. She had no idea how it had found her- it wasn't like she had left a forwarding address. But well, there were ways to find somebody- she knew a lot of them, and she figured ol' "WR" had more than a few extra resources. The occult shop could be a useful resource, especially if she wanted to continue her studies- some of the ingredients weren't the kind of thing you could find locally, or grow yourself- and mail order was a risk at the best of times, even in a post-Merge world where magical commodities were a real consumer avenue. If this place was halfway decent, it could be very useful.

So she had climbed up into the Suburban and gone for a drive. Just a quick scouting trip, so a lot of her stuff stayed home. Given the frustration of driving the big SUV through traffic, it was probably best that she DIDN'T have an assault rifle with her... Finally she spotted an open space, at the end of a row so the truck could fit. She pulled into place and climbed down out of the truck, taking the time to slide into her denim jacket and grab the messenger bag out of the back- while the heavy weapons were home, it wouldn't do to be completely unprepared...

Then she headed for the door- time to see what kind of place this was...
Neo-Paladin

Post by Neo-Paladin »

Samuel

During the sermon - which centered on the meaning of heroic sacrifice and what it could mean in the mundane world (with the added question whether it was not harder and more worthwhile to live for something or someone than to die for something) - he kept a casual eye on the newcomers. Once he was done, he stepped down and approached them with an honest, open smile.
" Rao's blessings upon you, my friends. Are you new to our congregation or just curious? I'm Samuel and for some reason, people actually listen to me these days. Is there anything I can help you with? Any questions?"
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

Pratfall

Pratfall was making elaborate balloon animals for the kiddies when the intruding clown showed up. When threats were made, Pratfall's eyes narrowed and his smile became broader even as his blood chilled within him.
Heresy! The greasepaint defiled, makeup used to mask rather than to transform, twisting the gift of social subversion... he internally muttered, his hands working busily, pulling balloons from a direction perpendicular to the regular three dimensions, rapidly inflating them and working them into the design, crafting a classic monkey on the tree. Then, he was interrupted by a piping voice.
"Mr. Pratfall, what is that monkey doing to that other monkey?" the little girl in a frock dress said to him. He looked down and saw that his hands had betrayed him, creating two monkeys in mortal combat, one strangling the other.
"Oh ho! They're just... wrestling!" He made several more twists, added two un-inflated balloons and suddenly the monkeys were colorful masked luchadors, caught in a wrestling clinch.
"Oooh! That's so cool!" the littl girl burbled, snatching her joined balloons. "This one is Sassy Starr, and this one is Daizee Haze..." he let her wander off, enthusiastically narrating a series of holds and bodyslams. Pratfall, meanwhile, stood, and rolled up his sleeves.

"Heeeey everybody!" he said loudly and cheerfully, pointedly away from the other clown. "Who's ready for another show?" Delighted cheers arose from the kids, who began searching forward. Pratfall reached out and held his hands up in a "stop" gesture.
"One moment, kiddos... I've got something to show you first." He thrust his hands towards the sky and leaned left slowly, further, further, his feet flat on the floor. After thirty degrees, the kids started giggling. As he passed forty-five and was approaching sixty, now noticeably close to horizontal and his feet somehow still locked to the ground, the kids went into hushed coos of curiosity and Pratfall held his face in exaggerated concentration.
"Now I have to think really hard to do this," he said, his eyes screwed up, "I can't let go of my concentra- conce- conce-ACHOO!" He loudly sneezed and suddenly he fell flat to the ground with the sound of a rapidly deflated whoopie-cushion... then continued rolling until he was upside-down, resting on only his head.
"It's OK, kids! As long as I don't sneeze agai- agai- ACHOO!" He continued tumbling over, going to his feet, head, feet, head, going faster and faster, sneezing each time he hit either position at either end. His motion erratic, Pratfall nonetheless kept moving towards the intruding clown under the guise of his performance.
OOC wrote:Pratfall will attempt to use Fascinate to keep everyone rapt as he approaches the criminal clown. Expertise: Clowning (Fascinate): 1d20+11 19 is his first roll, opposed by Insight or Will, whichever is higher. He can maintain it with a Standard action, leaving him the Move action (120 feet as an action at full speed) to approach. Let me know if you need me to make more rolls before I'm to him.

The intent will be to use Mimed Objects to trap the foe in a box, FWIW.
kirinke

Post by kirinke »

Alice Vs. Rude dude

The girl added an impatient tapping foot to her quirked eyebrow as she folded her arms. "I'm waiting." she said pointedly. "What do you have to say for yourself?" she asked, hoping her own reaction might save the idiot's life somewhere down the line. What he said was the equivalent of yelling 'fire' in a dark theatre to any Alice. Hellfires, it would to anyone and not everyone reacted to such things in a civilized way.
Kirinke's Compendium of Wondrous Creatures
Kirinke's Conversions (D&D Items to M&M3E Rules)

Battle Init
Viv: 24
Ren:22
Peekaboo: 20
Deutschritter: 19
Amy: 15
Angrboda: 15
Adeleth: 14
Thugs: 12
Lilly: 7
Alma: 5
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

Samuel

The young man lingers, waiting it seems of the chance to talk to you even if others speak first.

It`s the woman who is more interesting, she seems to be trying to be ordinary and to blend in. Something about her is very familiar...

"Curiosity." She says, "I see this symbol used by so many. I find it interesting that you can have so much... faith. My own faith gets tested every day, and I find it's difficult to manage... but somehow, we all get through. Friends, family... blood binds us all as the expression goes..."

Amy

Amy manages to apply the ointment and it has an almost immediate effect... for some reason, her latest charge reminds her of someone from what feels like years ago... what was her name again? Alison? Aline - Alice ! Why her now made no sense, but still, the memory is strong. As her shift continues, Amy begins to notice elements and items that keep reminding her of Alice, and more specifically, Alice in Wonderland. If this continues, she half expects to see someone with a tattoo of a white rabbit...

Amy sees the people entering the Church of El, pondering the spontaneous combustion riddle... and the nagging memory and imagery that plagued her all day...

Alice

Alice turns, but there is no one there... except someone that she recognizes from what feels like ages ago... Amy?

John Smith

"You won't hear me complaining. I've been in high demand since I developed my knack for tech. Still have to put it together like everyone else, but I can read and write code as easily as I think and breathe these days... Problem isn't World Saving Man... it's Would Be Conquerer. Petty crimes are on the increase - thank goodness Mayor Callaghan is running things here. Hell, our entire city may be composed mostly of normals, but technically we're all Mergers... Makes my head hurt.

"Hey, wait a tick..." he turns and looks at the server, specifically the drives and storage chips. "The Hell? There's a virus trying to spread, but we haven't connected to anything external. Must have been in the software patch... Let me try and get it..."

He pulls out his tablet, obviously the familiar motion of typing and looking at a screen more a comfort and habit than actual need... his screen flashes with this symbol before he asserts control and contains the virus.

Elizabeth Walsh

Entering the store, there are a few people milling about - such places have seen more business of late, but they still cater to a small group of people... Goths and a few obvious wannabes, but a few strike her as having actual power. One - almost aristocratic in her bearing and attire - looks at her as she enters.

"You're expected. Good to finally meet you. My name is Gabriella." You feel you've seen her face before - probably on social media or the news, but so many people have been made famous since the Merge, 15 seconds of fame has almost no meaning...

Cat Walsh

Cat enters just behind Eli, and hears Gabriella introduce herself. At that moment, both Eli and Cat notice something about Gabriella is not quite human. Although this has never happened before, they both get the feeling of "Not Native." It's hard to describe further at the moment, especially since the whole city is "not native" but Gabriella is likely a Merger. Neither woman can figure out how they know this, they just do.

Pratfall

Will: 1d20+2 4 The clown actually stops what he's doing and just stares at Pratfall...
Thorpocalypse wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:01 pm Building to be comics "accurate" is different than building to run a PC or building something to challenge a group.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Elizabeth "Eli" Walsh
~^v~~v^~

With this odd peculiar sense of recognition, her senses start to spike. A careful sniff of the air in search of traces of blood. Hey eyes carefully roaming behind her shades, mapping every heat signature she could sense. It could just be nothing. Vampiric instinct rearing it's ugly head once again perhaps. It never hurt to be cautious however, this was something one of her instructors at the academy tried to drill into everyone's head.

"You can call me Eli, please." Came her voice, only softly touched with a Yorkshire accent after spending most of he life in America by this point. "Were you the one who sent me that letter?"

OOC: Perception 16, searching for signs of danger and the like.
------------
Bladewind

Post by Bladewind »

"No." The reply - and you notice a British accent - comes matter of factly. "Although I know who did."

There's no sly grin, smirk or wink with that last comment. Gabriella's heat signature is quite strong, and although no sense of danger is readily forthcoming, there's something about the woman that almost screams larger than life.

You do notice she has rather pronounced canines, but with a heat signature that doesn't really mesh with the idea of vampire...
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

John Smith

The freaky peppermint candy symbol was vaguely familiar.
Eidetic Memory: 1d20+2 15
"Oh snap, that's the Parasol Company or something. Major bad guys. I'll help you however I can." John Smith says, walking through possible counter-code.
Tech: 1d20+8+5 26
Good for +5 to Murphy's attempts at containing the virus. and/or inuring our system against its intrusions again.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Elizabeth "Eli" Walsh
~^v~~v^~

A heat signature, but that didn't necessarily mean she wasn't a vampire either. Even she herself produced some heat, though with how slow her heart beat she had a lower body temperature then most. Another kindred spirit, or someone with darker intent? Eli knew not which, but she wouldn't and couldn't jump to conclusions right off the bat. Not before an actual threat was made.

"Then... Who was it? Are you supposed to take me to them?" She voiced, hesitant about the unknowns at play yet wanting to fill int he blanks.
------------
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Amy "Fire" Wilson
HP:2; Condition: Normal and a bit confused

"I'm late. I'm late," a voice called.

Amy turned expecting to see a white rabbit. It would not be that unusual these days. But it was only a man in business casual clothes running toward the bus stop. And then running past the bus stop and down the street. She wasn't sure why but she felt like she should follow him. She looked away from him and chided herself for having such a thought. She was tapping her foot and was not sure why. She turned to see the rushing man continue down the street. She turned and followed him. She was not sure why.