Adventures Assemble S3E3: The Great Brain Robbery!

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
kenseido

Re: Adventures Assemble S3E1: Enemies of the State!

Post by kenseido »

Jason Maxwell
HP: 5, Condition: Fine

Taking these guys out should be easy enough but that radio could be a problem. Alerting the others and calling backup could turn this very messy, very quickly. As he is contemplating taking out the radio first, Nightbird motions to him to grab the radio. Sadly, he can't do that without dropping his Fade spell. He can't even tell her he can't do it without...

Then Nightbird goes and steals it.

As she retreats to a concealed area, Jason makes his way over. Making sure he is concealed from the troops, he drops his Fade and offers a thumbs up.
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Ysariel wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:20 am Gelert & Amethyst
Silicon Alley -- General Arms Systems HQ

"Not interested. You're too old, Rex, and you aren't my type." Her voice is cold enough to condense liquid nitrogen from the atmosphere. His face reddens. He wants her, desperately, and he can't have her. She is impervious to his wealth and status and influence and privilege. Hers is the power to deny his naked hunger, and that catches him off-guard.

"I'm not here to chat. My team suspects that the attacks around the city and on your headquarters are probing attacks by the Anarchy Command. We think they're after something you're working on, and if we're to stop them, we need to know what it is. I'd like you to discuss it with my friend here, Gelert."

Amethyst gestures to indicate you. Rex looks down -- very far down -- his nose at you. Then he laughs.

"Out of the question," Rex says flatly. "My work is critical to the national security of the United States. There are highly-classified projects here that the Chinese, Russians and North Koreans would kill to get their hands on. I can't reveal this to you or... a dog, especially a talking one. Pembroke or Cardigan?"

OOC

Making a hostile person reveal classified information is extremely difficult. Rex's prejudice against heroes in general and you as a dog in particular adds a +5 penalty, making it a DC 30 check of any interaction skill. Rex is immune to Amethyst's persuasion check on this matter so she cannot aid you. You gain 1 HP for what is effectively a Prejudice complication, even though it does not appear on your sheet.

If you do not pass the check, Rex still takes you on a tour of the facility because a complete refusal to cooperate reflects badly on his company, showing you unimportant things, not what the Anarchy Command is truly after. However, during this time, there will be additional opportunities for you to get to the bottom of the truth.
"A little of both actually. I'm told they were breeding for temperament and intelligence rather than Kennel club standards.The pure white coloration was a lucky byproduct." Gelert smoothly replies from ground level, acting as though this man's advances on Michelle, use of women as status symbols, or derision towards Gelert didn't matter at all. That wasn't the case, but Gelert was happy to give Rex time to prove if the terrible first impression was all there was to the man. "A pleasure to meet you Mr. Richards. Or do you prefer Rex?"

"Oh no sense making you crane your neck while we talk, let me come to your level." Gelert slowly rose up until he was face to face with Rex Richards.

"Now while I'm not going to pretend that I am a creature of the business world, I am friends with some of them like Michelle here. So I am not unaware of the importance of security especially regarding corporate secrets and technology. So you're hesitance to just let anyone poke around your classified projects is understandable, reasonable even. However I think in this case you are metaphorically putting extra locks on your front door while someone is looking for the right window to smash. Now these Anarchy Command people, who are willing to use drastic and destructive methods to get what they want, are targeting your business and I'm sure you're very confident in what security measures you have in place. However there's only so proactive you can be, you have to react to their actions. We on the other hand are in a position to head them off before they make their move...if we know what they are after. If you and I work together on this both sides benefit, your interests are secure with less risk and we are able to thwart a dangerous organization before it can put its plans in motion. Much better than tripping over each other, wouldn't you say."

Gelert hovers down to the ground again. "Plus consider which member of the Champions you are dealing with. I am as you've noticed, a dog. I have no financial motivation to learn or reveal your business secrets. No stake in corporate sabotage or espionage. No reason to not ensure your secrets stay secret beyond what is needed to stop Anarchy Command. So you can extend me a little bit of trust and we'll deal with this threat to your employees and livelihood... or not and we'll politely settle for whatever public relations tour of the facility you show reporters and stock holders."

OOC: Persuasion: 1d20+17: 25, I'm going to burn an HP (crap I forgot how many I have right now, I'll have to do a count later) to reroll 1d20+17: 29. Curses so close...
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird
HP: 7 LP: 1
Condition: Normal

Pocketing the radio, Imogen waits as Jason appears out of thin air returning his thumbs up with one of her own before pointing at the hidden RIOT members and then miming her fist hitting the palm of her other hand.

As far as Imogen was concerned it was now time to clean house.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Jason Maxwell

Jason smiles at Nightbird and then sweeps his hand in front of him as he whispers "Ladies first."
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird
HP: 7 LP: 1

A professional nod was Imogen's reply as she was now all business. Moving back the way they had just come Imogen tore into the nearest group of RIOT troopers not holding back.

Punches, kicks even using her elbows and knees Imogen made every blow count.
OOC wrote: Nightbird will return to attack the RIOT troopers using PA +/-3 and taking 10 for an attack of +22 and Toughness Save of DC27

She will use Takedown 2 to sweep as many minions as possible.

If they are not minions let me know and I will roll an attack.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Jason Maxwell

Watching Nightbird go to work was a pleasure. Nobody back home moved like she did. Elegant and flowing, but brutal and efficient. She would make a great Ebon Sister.

Rather than interfering with her attack, he moves up behind her to cover her rear and watch for snipers or other surprises.
Move action to get close to Nightbird
Standard action to Interpose for her.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Moonlight
Undersea
Psistrike wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:34 amManipulating as much water as possible from her surroundings, she directs it to crush the engine with intense pressure.
OOC

AA Tempest-class Toughness DC 27: 1D20+12 = [18]+12 = 30

Unlucky. The engines take no damage.
The water near the sub's rear ripples and shimmers as you direct waves of crushing pressure against the drive units. There is a sharp, metallinc PONG! as your attack strikes home, but unluckily for you the engines are heavily armored and withstand the blow with only superficial damage.

Immediately you hear the churning of water as the sub's magnetohydrodynamic drives, far quieter than conventional screw-driven propulsion but still easily audible at this range, stir to life. Slots open in the ship's belly as it empties ballast and starts to rise, and along the top side of the hull you see eight more square portals slowly glide open -- firing ports for cruise missiles.

Then suddenly you see a small figure zip out from the sub and head towards you at incredible speed. At first it seems so fast it might be assumed to be a torpedo, but as it approaches you realize it is a woman. She is nearly eight feet from head to toe, with a thickly muscled body covered in gleaming, bluish scales, over which she wears a tankini with the Anarchy Command's circle-A symbol on it. "At last," she hisses and grins, revealing a mouthful of needlelike teeth, "The heroes have come to play!"

She raises one hand to strike and you see that her fingers end in serrated, retractable claws!

OOC

AA Calamity perception DC 23: 1D20+13 = [11]+13 = 24

Calamity is able to spot you and attack! Note that she is not a minion.

Round 1
26 Moonlight *
20 Calamity
-- Tempest-class Attack Sub (vehicle)

You are up!
Last edited by Ysariel on Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Jason & Nightbird
Outside the city -- Small cove
Gilliam wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:34 pmA professional nod was Imogen's reply as she was now all business. Moving back the way they had just come Imogen tore into the nearest group of RIOT troopers not holding back.

Punches, kicks even using her elbows and knees Imogen made every blow count.
kenseido wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:40 pmRather than interfering with her attack, he moves up behind her to cover her rear and watch for snipers or other surprises.
OOC

The R.I.O.T. troops are indeed minions.

AA R.I.O.T. Squad Toughness DC 29: 1D20+12 = [6]+12 = 18

Failed, defeated
Nightbird patiently awaits an opportune monent where the soldier in question turns to swat a mosquito that has landed on the back of his hand. Then she deftly picks the radio from his harness and replaces it with a similarly sized rock. The clueless mook is left none the wiser, that is until she comes back and wallops him.

The R.I.O.T. troops, with the advantages of terrain, concealment, mines, capekiller heavy weapons and cruise missile support, might actually stand a chance against a super of your caliber. Taken by surprise, though, they don't have any hope as Nightbird moves from rock to rock, leaving a trail of "Oof!" "Ulp!" "AAAH!" and unconscious troops in her wake. The soldiers manage to fire off few scattered gunshots, and someone unleashes a blast from a plasma cannon, but for the most part Jason doesn't even have to intercept anything, because so few of them get any chance to shoot. Within a handful of seconds all of the soldiers -- some twenty in all -- are unconscious among the sand and rocks.

Just as you might be tempted to wonder if the Anarchy Command really was expecting to take you out with a few dozen mooks, the radio crackles to life.

"The sub is under attack," comes a voice from the radio. The audio quality is not very good, as these things tend to be, so all you can tell is that it is a man's voice. "R.I.O.T. squad, report your status and any Hero sightings. Over."
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird
HP: 7 > 6 LP: 1

As the last of the RIOT troopers fell, Imogen turned round to look over the carnage she had wrought, if she was disappointed by the ease in which she defeated them it didn't show in her face although the tone of her voice was a different story.

"Is that it? I expected more to be honest."

Ysariel wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:52 pm
Just as you might be tempted to wonder if the Anarchy Command really was expecting to take you out with a few dozen mooks, the radio crackles to life.

"The sub is under attack," comes a voice from the radio. The audio quality is not very good, as these things tend to be, so all you can tell is that it is a man's voice. "R.I.O.T. squad, report your status and any Hero sightings. Over."
An impish grin flashed briefly on Imogens face that was not covered by her mask

" *fake static noise* .. okay *fake static noise* ... breaking up ... *fake static noise* ... bad interfer ... *fake static noise* .. can't hear ... over *fake static noise* " then Imogen took her finger off the send button

"I always wanted to do that." Imogen said unapologetic " .. but a sub explains a lot and from the sounds of it Aranel has discovered them. At best my stunt would have confused them or more likely reinforcements are on their way and it can be our turn to ambush them. Any thoughts Jason?"
OOC wrote: NIghtbird will use deception to fake her response on the radio to make it seem if there is some sort of radio interference.

NIghtbird Deception: 1d20+7 12

Use an HP
NIghtbird Deception: 1d20+7 20
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Jason Maxwell

"Well, we should definitely return the favor and plan our own ambush of them. I mean, we have to be better at hide-n-seek then they are."

That was odd. What made him think about hide-n-seek just now? Nobody back home liked the game. Oh they may have humored him at first for a few rounds, but it was clear they didn't enjoy the game.

In fact, he hasn't played a good game of hide-n-seek since...
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird
HP: 6 LP: 1

kenseido wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:14 am
"Well, we should definitely return the favor and plan our own ambush of them. I mean, we have to be better at hide-n-seek then they are."
"Hide and seek . ." that was a strange comment from Jason and to be honest for Imogen she had played hide and seek with her brother when they were younger but that was a long time ago, in fact the last time she had played a game of hide and seek was with that little boy ... that's right he was the son of a friend of Kilpatricks and she had to baby sit the kid while Kilpatrick and his friend talked all mysterious and intense stuff, good god that was back when Kilpatrick had just started teaching her and wait a minute wasn't the kid called Jason ... but no he was so tiny ... he was only ten years old ... and then one day she helped him pack before they vanished ... like magic

".. the last game I played was nearly 10 to 12 years ago, he was very good at hiding."
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Jason Maxwell

Like a key, the words "very good at hiding" unlock that over a decade old memory. The girl who Dad's friend started bringing. They played hide-n-seek. And she said he was "very good at hiding."

In nearly the same voice. And her name was kind of strange. So he would just caller her...

"Genie?"
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird

kenseido wrote:
In nearly the same voice. And her name was kind of strange. So he would just caller her...

"Genie?"
No one had called her "Genie" apart from that little kid

"Jason? No wait a minute what was your Dad's name?"
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Jason Maxwell
Gilliam wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:55 amNo one had called her "Genie" apart from that little kid

"The world knew him as Arcanis, but Killpatrick called him Alex."

When he left the order, he never thought for a minute he would actually know anybody here. But here she was, live and in person, from a past he had mostly forgotten. This world had become the dream. And when the order turned out to be the truly despicable creatures they are, he wanted nothing more but to go home.

But he had no way to get there. He didn't even know what dimension "home" was. He spent hours digging through Dad's books. More hours in meditation hoping to connect with Mom like they had in his dreams when he was younger. Nothing. He felt truly alone.

But here was a connection. He just hopes she understands about his father's death.
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird

kenseido wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:13 am
Gilliam wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:55 amNo one had called her "Genie" apart from that little kid

"The world knew him as Arcanis, but Killpatrick called him Alex."

"Jason it is you and you are a lot bigger now than when I last saw you." Imogen says looking up at the man in front of her when she had been the taller one when she had last seen Jason.

"You went with your Dad to live in your Mum's dimension back then and now your are ..." Imogen's voice trailed off as she considered why Jason was back in Phoenix Bay

"I don't mean to pry but are your Mum and Dad okay?"