Adventures Assemble S3E3: The Great Brain Robbery!

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Ysariel

Re: Adventures Assemble S3E1: Enemies of the State!

Post by Ysariel »

All
Justice Hall

Moonlight and Nightbird receive a message by communicator from Amethyst informing them about the recent attacks across the city and requesting them to gather at Justice Hall. Located on Alcatraz Island, this was once a major superbase and HQ of the Justice Foundation. It was destroyed during the invasion of the Armada in an attack that blew up half of the island. What has been rebuilt is only a small portion of the original facilities. Other than the plaza out front, there is a visitor center and memorial to Kisai; there is also a small meeting hall off-limits to the public, which is where you now gather.

"Good afternoon," Amy's cool voice greets you as you enter. The place still smells of the chemical scent of paint and freshly-set concrete, and the bright white lighting emphasizes the spartan furniture and decoration. An array of holographic screens glows against one wall, showing media reports about your encounters -- the discovery of the N.O.M.U. in the city centre, the missile strike in the downtown business district, the supervillain attack on G.A.S. headquarters, and the assault on Justice Hall itself.

Amethyst waves as you enter. "Most of you have already met the Anarchy Circus. We need to discuss what to do next and how to stop them. I don't think they got any of what they came here for, and these baddies have more than enough resources to make another attack."

"Amethyst and I suspect, but do not know for certain, that they're after General Arms Systems, the big defense contractor headquartered in the city," Amy adds. "If you have evidence that might shed light on their goals, or leads to pursue, please propose a course of action."

(If Jason accepted the invitation)

Amethyst looks up at Jason as he enters. "Oh, hey! I saw you once. You're the guy who wanted Kisai to leave town for his safety. Thanks for helping us out against these crooks."

She jerks her thumb at a holographic screen that pops up, showing Marshal Lawless and his R.I.O.T. troops being loaded onto a helicopter transport with the logos of the Federal Bureau of Corrections and Deep Six penitentiary on it.

"What brings you to the city? Don't tell me these goons are after you, too."
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Jason Maxwell
HP: 5, Condition: Fatigued

Jason is glad for the invitation. He'd spent the last three days trying to figure out a way to connect with the group. Frankly, without the Order, he knows nobody on this world. Even that one friend of dad's died in the Invasion. So being here was really what he wanted, even if he feels totally out of place.
Ysariel wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:54 amAmethyst looks up at Jason as he enters. "Oh, hey! I saw you once. You're the guy who wanted Kisai to leave town for his safety. Thanks for helping us out against these crooks."
"Not me. The Order I was working with at the time. They are big believers in avoiding... everything."
Ysariel wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:54 amShe jerks her thumb at a holographic screen that pops up, showing Marshal Lawless and his R.I.O.T. troops being loaded onto a helicopter transport with the logos of the Federal Bureau of Corrections and Deep Six penitentiary on it.

"What brings you to the city? Don't tell me these goons are after you, too."
"I don't know if they were after me, or if I just got lucky. I left the Order for... reasons, and my dad had a place here in Phoenix Bay, so I was staying there trying to figure out my next move. I was engaged by a technological foe and a magical foe, but I am not sure how or if they are connected. The mystic foe called himself Baron Bedlam and referred to the robot as one of 'Professor Pandemonium's toys.' So he is at least aware of them if not working with them.

Baron Bedlam did indicate he was on his way to an encounter with you, so make what you will of that."

He grimaces a bit. That came out wrong. All stuffy and overly specific. Just the way the Order wanted his mission summaries.
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird
HP: 7 LP: 1
Condition: Normal

The interrogations had taken longer than Imogen expected although in the end they did collaborate some of her initial thoughts and the feedback from Captain Lane.

Responding to the call from Amethyst, Imogen made her way as quickly as possible to Justice Hall joining the others and coming up to speed about the other attacks that had occurred while she had been busy.

Listening to Jason explain and introduce himself, Imogen felt something about him seemed familiar although as far as she could recall the only other time they had meet was that incident with Kisai back in the day, she must be getting old.

"Nice work Jason and sounds like the Professor gets around, I have spent the last day taking down Knighfire and his supporters who just happen to also have been given a bunch of high tech weapons from the Professor. I think from the sounds of it he belongs to what is left of the Anarchy Command, a bunch of superpowered terrorists that the Justice Foundation fought."
OOC wrote: Assume that Imogen gives a summarised version of the info I posted on the previous page

viewtopic.php?p=147162#p147162
"One of Kinghtfire's supporters was actually a member of RIOT, there to monitor the effectiveness of the weapons provided by the Professor and he confirmed that the main target is General Arms, everything else was a distraction to keep us out of the way. Also there is a cove on the outskirts of the city where Anarchy Command dropped off the weapons for Knightfire and there could still be clues there as to where their base is."
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Jason Maxwell

Jason turns quickly to Nightbird when she speaks. So engrossed with her voice, me misses almost everything she says.

He knows that voice. It's almost like from a dream.

But he can't know her. He was 10 when he left and had no friends. And she couldn't be from home, could she?

His mind desperately searches for the connection to that voice in his memories.

When he realizes he has been staring for a bit too long, he forces himself to turn his head away.
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird

Turning her head slightly Imogen looked directly at Jason who had just turned his head away, had he been staring at her?

Looking away again Imogen focused on the meeting, hopefully Jason wouldn't turn out to be an autograph hunter but then mages as she has discovered can be very peculiar.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

All
Justice Hall
kenseido wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:01 am"I don't know if they were after me, or if I just got lucky. I left the Order for... reasons, and my dad had a place here in Phoenix Bay, so I was staying there trying to figure out my next move. I was engaged by a technological foe and a magical foe, but I am not sure how or if they are connected. The mystic foe called himself Baron Bedlam and referred to the robot as one of 'Professor Pandemonium's toys.' So he is at least aware of them if not working with them."
Amethyst makes a mental note of that. She is not well-versed in the politics of the wizarding world but if Shambhala is any clue, mages wanting to remain splendid isolation is nothing new.

"I won't pry into your reasons for leaving, but if you're in any danger at all, we're glad to help. And we may need a hand from you, too. If the Anarchy Command has a mage on their side, we'll need someone who can deal with that."
Gilliam wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:07 am"One of Kinghtfire's supporters was actually a member of RIOT, there to monitor the effectiveness of the weapons provided by the Professor and he confirmed that the main target is General Arms, everything else was a distraction to keep us out of the way. Also there is a cove on the outskirts of the city where Anarchy Command dropped off the weapons for Knightfire and there could still be clues there as to where their base is."
Amethyst snaps her fingers. "Then let's check out that cave," she says, tapping on a holographic screen and producing a Google Maps overview of the area. The cove is in Marlin County, 1h's drive north of the city. "The Anarchy Clowns will be long gone, so any trail will be tough to follow. Be prepared for booby-traps on-scene."

"Someone should also visit General Arms Systems," Amy says. "To warn them, and also to find out what the Anarchy Command wants from them. If we can discover their objective in the city, we can pre-empt their next move."

Amethyst closes the holo-screen. "I'll go. General Arms Systems's head honcho, Rex Richards, hates superheroes. I expect him to try and hoodwink anyone who shows up with technobabble, but I can see through his tricks. If any of you want to come, an additional pair of eyes is always welcome." She pauses and touches a knuckle to her lip, thinking. "One thing I don't understand, though: why are these Anarchy Clods each doing their own thing instead of mounting a coordinated attack?"

The door opens at that moment. "That's because," comes a woman's voice, "the Anarchy Command is rife with infighting, and can agree on only the broadest goals of overthrowing the current world order. The fact that its heavy hitters are working together at all suggests that a new leader has arisen among them who has enough power to force the others into obedience."

You see standing in the open doorway a stern, middle-aged woman with blonde hair in a severe bun, wearing a formal blue business suit and pencil skirt. She nods at all of you.

"Beatrice?!"
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Jason Maxwell
Ysariel wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:42 pm"I won't pry into your reasons for leaving, but if you're in any danger at all, we're glad to help. And we may need a hand from you, too. If the Anarchy Command has a mage on their side, we'll need someone who can deal with that."
"More just an annoyance right now. But if they escalate, I will let you know. Frankly, even associating with you could scare them off. They are the ultimate scaredy cats."
Ysariel wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:42 pmAmethyst closes the holo-screen. "I'll go. General Arms Systems's head honcho, Rex Richards, hates superheroes. I expect him to try and hoodwink anyone who shows up with technobabble, but I can see through his tricks. If any of you want to come, an additional pair of eyes is always welcome." She pauses and touches a knuckle to her lip, thinking. "One thing I don't understand, though: why are these Anarchy Clods each doing their own thing instead of mounting a coordinated attack?"
"Wherever you think my magical eyes will serve best. And if we do run into Bedlam, he is a vampire that is really tough to kill. 'Lethal' damage will only force him to revert to gaseous form for a time. Nearly impossible to contain."
Ysariel wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:42 pmThe door opens at that moment. "That's because," comes a woman's voice, "the Anarchy Command is rife with infighting, and can agree on only the broadest goals of overthrowing the current world order. The fact that its heavy hitters are working together at all suggests that a new leader has arisen among them who has enough power to force the others into obedience."

You see standing in the open doorway a stern, middle-aged woman with blonde hair in a severe bun, wearing a formal blue business suit and pencil skirt. She nods at all of you.

"Beatrice?!"
"I'm guessing you know her?"
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird

Ysariel wrote: Amethyst snaps her fingers. "Then let's check out that cave," she says, tapping on a holographic screen and producing a Google Maps overview of the area. The cove is in Marlin County, 1h's drive north of the city. "The Anarchy Clowns will be long gone, so any trail will be tough to follow. Be prepared for booby-traps on-scene."
Imogen lips curled up into a smile "Sounds like fun, I'm game anyone else up for dodging some booby-traps?"

The door opens at that moment. "That's because," comes a woman's voice, "the Anarchy Command is rife with infighting, and can agree on only the broadest goals of overthrowing the current world order. The fact that its heavy hitters are working together at all suggests that a new leader has arisen among them who has enough power to force the others into obedience."

"Beatrice?!"

"I'm guessing you know her?"
"Beatrice long time no see." Imogen calls out in a friendly greeting although it had only been a couple of months since she had seen Beatrice at the battle for Shambhala.

"I can assume you know more about the current state of Anarchy Command?"
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

All
Justice Hall

"That's a tricky one," Amethyst murmurs. "We're going to have to stock up on incapacitating weapons then. Garlic-flavored pepper spray maybe."
kenseido wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:12 pm "I'm guessing you know her?"
Amethyst stands and gestures at the newcomer. "This is AEGIS agent Beatrice Shields, who worked undercover as Cooper's P.A. for several years. She helped us out a lot against Lucienne and in collecting evidence leading to Cooper's prosecution." Beatrice nods at Jason in acknowledgement.
Gilliam wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:25 am "I can assume you know more about the current state of Anarchy Command?"
Beatrice frowns, visibly frustrated. "Despite my best efforts, nothing you do not already know. The Anarchy Command's base lies on disputed islands in the South China Sea, guarded by the Event Horizon, making intelligence-gathering nigh-impossible. However, there is one person who does have intimate knowledge of the Anarchy Command. As luck would have it, he is in Phoenix Bay."

Nightbird immediately knows who Beatrice refers to: Commander Chaos, the founder of the terrorist organization.

Beatrice confirms the guess. "Commander Chaos was defeated in 1996 and is currently imprisoned at Deep Six super-penitentiary. Prison records show that he has consistently been on his best behavior, and even made no attempt to escape during Rainbow Seven's brief takeover. It's a long shot, but since he has been generally cooperative, he may have some light to shed on the issue."

"But anything he can tell us is 20 years out of date," Amethyst points out.

"Villains of his stature tend to remain informed of the external world, even in solitary confinement. Agents of the Anarchy Command sent to Deep Six would've kept him up-to-date on outside events." Beatrice tilts her head. "Of course, this is merely my suggestion. I leave it to you to judge if it is worth pursuing."

"Our immediate priority is to stop the Anarchy Crony attacks on G.A.S.," Amethyst says. "But we ought to keep an eye out for clues about who this new leader is. Nabbing their new head honcho will send them back to squabbling among themselves in a disorganized mess."

Beatrice nods. "Speaking of disorganized messes, frankly, the Champions are one. A team of your stature needs someone to handle branding, PR, intelligence, law enforcement liaisons, procurement, community outreach, merchandise, and funding that's not dependent on a grossly corrupt mayor, and do it all while you're busy fighting crime. Which brings me to the second reason I came here: I hereby submit my application for the position of Operations Manager."
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Jason Maxwell
HP: 5, Condition: Fine

Another lead and another direction. Splitting up is risky, especially when you are being targeted.

He raises an eyebrow as Beatrice makes her elevator pitch.

"Dooooon't you already have a job?"
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird

Ysariel wrote: Beatrice confirms the guess. "Commander Chaos was defeated in 1996 and is currently imprisoned at Deep Six super-penitentiary. Prison records show that he has consistently been on his best behavior, and even made no attempt to escape during Rainbow Seven's brief takeover. It's a long shot, but since he has been generally cooperative, he may have some light to shed on the issue."

"Villains of his stature tend to remain informed of the external world, even in solitary confinement. Agents of the Anarchy Command sent to Deep Six would've kept him up-to-date on outside events." Beatrice tilts her head. "Of course, this is merely my suggestion. I leave it to you to judge if it is worth pursuing."
"That is a good point and worth investigating, I keep forgetting just how much villains love to gossip."

Beatrice nods. "Speaking of disorganized messes, frankly, the Champions are one. A team of your stature needs someone to handle branding, PR, intelligence, law enforcement liaisons, procurement, community outreach, merchandise, and funding that's not dependent on a grossly corrupt mayor, and do it all while you're busy fighting crime. Which brings me to the second reason I came here: I hereby submit my application for the position of Operations Manager."
"Well you are very qualified and I would love to see Coopers face once he sees his former PA working for us but as Jason said will you be working for us as Ops Manager or working for AEGIS working for us?"
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Ysariel wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:49 am Gelert & Jason
He scratches his head, then shakes it, as if to dismiss this extremely disturbing line of thought. "In any case! I, the honorable Cooper, am a man of honor. I wish to say... th... t-th..."

Cooper visibly struggles, like a very old and badly maintained car trying to start its engine.

"Thank you."

He straightens his tie and pompously waddles off.
"You're Welcome." Gelert says back automatically before he blinks in confusion. He is having a hard time believing that just happened. "Huh... just when you think you've seen everything.The others are not going to believe this."
kenseido wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:16 pm Jason Maxwell
HP: 5, Condition: Fine

Another lead and another direction. Splitting up is risky, especially when you are being targeted.

He raises an eyebrow as Beatrice makes her elevator pitch.

"Dooooon't you already have a job?"
"Only one job? In this economy?" Gelert quips. "I am dog, my understanding of capitalism is flimsy at best and I technically work multiple jobs. I think. Super Hero and Therapy Dog are technically different jobs right?"

Gilliam wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:43 pm Nightbird
Ysariel wrote: Beatrice confirms the guess. "Commander Chaos was defeated in 1996 and is currently imprisoned at Deep Six super-penitentiary. Prison records show that he has consistently been on his best behavior, and even made no attempt to escape during Rainbow Seven's brief takeover. It's a long shot, but since he has been generally cooperative, he may have some light to shed on the issue."

"That is a good point and worth investigating, I keep forgetting just how much villains love to gossip."
"Maybe if we ask nicely he'll tell us what we want to know." Gelert says cheerfully. "Or at least give us something to start from."
Gilliam wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:43 pm
"Well you are very qualified and I would love to see Coopers face once he sees his former PA working for us but as Jason said will you be working for us as Ops Manager or working for AEGIS working for us?"
"This seems reasonable. I have no idea what most of those things entail. Because I am a dog." Gelert trots over to Beatrice and gives her a sniff. "Well she passes the sniff test...that's about all I can contribute to the interview process. One of you guys that actually understands how those works should probably handle that."
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Jason Maxwell
stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:57 pm"This seems reasonable. I have no idea what most of those things entail. Because I am a dog." Gelert trots over to Beatrice and gives her a sniff. "Well she passes the sniff test...that's about all I can contribute to the interview process. One of you guys that actually understands how those works should probably handle that."
"I am just guessing here, but I imagine someone with two jobs might have to choose one as a priority from time to time. Like do you comfort the crying child or do you stop the building from falling on her. If she works for AEGIS and us, what were to happen if conflicting orders came in?"
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Moonlight
HP: 4 LP: 1
Condition: Fine

"It is nice to see you again Beatrice, I think her working for us and for AEGIS would be fine. We have nothing to hide from them, I'm pretty sure they already have a full file on me and as many details on where I come from as they could dig up." Aranel smiled, surrounding by friends and not having to deal with a chaotic battle on her own. "As for General Arms Systems, I don't think I can objectively deal with them right to the best of my ability. Doctor Disorder, the mad scientist I dealt with earlier, said the mutagen that created the N.O.M.U. she commanded wasn't completely of her own making and mentioned to ask the patriots at G.A.S. about it. The fact some people claiming to be government agents dosed a bunch of the people in that area with a mutagen comparable in effect to the kind used by mad scientist Daniel on Liam from past Champions case files. They claimed to be from the United Nations and had free medicine to distribute, which makes me highly suspicious that G.A.S. used people in a poor area of the city as test subjects. The hostility of their "head honcho" towards superheroes makes me believe he is trying to engineer living weapons to attack us. This is all just conjecture until we find proof."
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

All
Justice Hall
Gilliam wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:43 pm "Well you are very qualified and I would love to see Coopers face once he sees his former PA working for us but as Jason said will you be working for us as Ops Manager or working for AEGIS working for us?"
kenseido wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:05 pm "I am just guessing here, but I imagine someone with two jobs might have to choose one as a priority from time to time. Like do you comfort the crying child or do you stop the building from falling on her. If she works for AEGIS and us, what were to happen if conflicting orders came in?"
Beatrice nods. "Your concerns are wholly valid. Since my undercover assignment ended with Lucienne's destruction, I have already resigned from AEGIS." She adjusts her glasses. "Being tied to a large bureaucracy has many limitations, and I believe the next step in my career is working directly with a superhero team."
stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:57 pm "Only one job? In this economy?" Gelert quips. "I am dog, my understanding of capitalism is flimsy at best and I technically work multiple jobs. I think. Super Hero and Therapy Dog are technically different jobs right?"
"As far as I'm concerned, they're just different titles for your real job," Amethyst says, scratching Gelert behind the ears. "Being a Real Good Boy."
"Well she passes the sniff test...that's about all I can contribute to the interview process. One of you guys that actually understands how those works should probably handle that."
Amethyst looks around for objections. There don't seem to be any.

"You're dispensing with the traditional job interview?"

"Your competence was never in doubt," Amethyst says, extending her arm towards Beatrice in a handshake. "And I trust Gelert as a judge of character. Welcome aboard."
Psistrike wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:53 pm"As for General Arms Systems, I don't think I can objectively deal with them right to the best of my ability. Doctor Disorder, the mad scientist I dealt with earlier, said the mutagen that created the N.O.M.U. she commanded wasn't completely of her own making and mentioned to ask the patriots at G.A.S. about it. The fact some people claiming to be government agents dosed a bunch of the people in that area with a mutagen comparable in effect to the kind used by mad scientist Daniel on Liam from past Champions case files. They claimed to be from the United Nations and had free medicine to distribute, which makes me highly suspicious that G.A.S. used people in a poor area of the city as test subjects. The hostility of their "head honcho" towards superheroes makes me believe he is trying to engineer living weapons to attack us. This is all just conjecture until we find proof."
"That's very interesting news," Amy comments, speaking from one of the drones that hover around Amethyst at almost all times, "publicly, G.A.S. has no bioengineering capacity. They're an aerospace/cyberspace/vehicle systems contractor. Mr. Richards is either keeping some very good secrets, or this 'Doctor Disorder' is showing us a red herring."

"Maybe it's both. Aranel, if she straight up told you all this, she probably wants us investigating G.A.S. and arresting its employees, so she can swoop in and nab the spoils on her own. Dangling some of Rex's dark secrets in front of us is an easy way to sic us on him. We're going to have to keep an eye out for any moves from the Anarchy Crackpots while we're there." Amethyst stands. "I'm going to pay Rex a visit at G.A.S. and find out what exactly's going on in his basement."

"Then, as my first task as Operations Manager, I shall take the liberty of arranging a meeting with Mr. Rex Richards," Beatrice says. "An investigation by the city's foremost superhero team should get his attention given the recent attacks on his company."

OOC

You can interact further with Beatrice, Amy and Amethyst. When you have nothing more to do you should decide which course of action to pursue:

1) Investigate G.A.S. to determine what the Anarchy Command wants to steal from it;
2) Investigate the cove north of the city for clues to locate the Anarchy Command's base of operations;
3) Question Commander Chaos at Deep Six super-prison to find out who the Anarchy Command's leader is.

All three options involve combat. Option 2) will result in your capture and awards extra HP. Do not choose option 2) if you are not comfortable with your character being captured.

Alternately, you can choose to pursue some other course of action that you consider reasonable. It's not compulsory to go along with any of the options presented above.