Adventures Assemble S3E3: The Great Brain Robbery!

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Psistrike

Re: Adventures Assemble: If This Be Doomsday!

Post by Psistrike »

Moonlight
HP: 5 LP: 0

"Wait for me, Gelert, you're faster than me and we need to catch up quick." Moonlight calls out as she floats over to the corgi of hope.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Meanwhile...
Pyramid Plaza - Illuminati HQ

As the light of Lucienne's godlike form fades, Adrian Eldritch slumps to the ground, coughing up blood. Immediately the heroes are by his side. "Get help!" Amethyst says.

But the Master Mage waves his hand no even as Glitch reaches for her suit's communication systems.

"It's too late." Adrian sits down on the floor, cross-legged, and speaks with marvellous calm given the situation. "I burned out the last of my life-force freeing the guardians and restraining her powers. I have at most a few minutes left."

"Eldritch..."

"It's fine. I am earth's Master Mage. To die in service of the world is not a bad fate after all." He cracks a smile. "Perhaps with this sacrifice, my good name will be restored even among my skeptics in Shambhala."

The Master Mage's face grows serious. "I only regret I could not finish the job. The future of the world... I leave to you youngsters and your friends." He pauses, then coughs feebly. "One... more thing. If... if Una comes, you..."

He coughs again. Beatrice kneels by him, supporting his back with one arm. He slumps backwards into her grasp, and breathes no more.

Amethyst stays there for a long moment, on one knee, looking at the blank stare and the dead body of the man who had given so much in secrecy for Earth's future. Then she reaches down with one hand and closes his eyes forever.

The speakers in the room boom to life with Amy's synthetic voice. "I have gained control of core Illuminati computer systems and full access to their databases. I'm afraid the situation may be more serious than we imagined. Based on the villains' computer records, I have deduced what spell Lucienne seeks from the Akashic Library and what she intends to do with it."

Beatrice, having finished laying down Adrian's body on the ground and covering it with his cape, stands. "I thought her plan was to use the spells in the Akashic Library to fight the Incarnate of War."

"Thus we assumed," Amy says. "But it may have struck you that such a plan is uncharacteristically simplistic for someone as subtle, manipulative, and vastly knowledgable as Lucienne. If the Master Mage knows that you cannot defeat War with war, then surely she does, too."

"And if she's spent all of history using others to fight her battles for her, it's out of character for her to stake something on a mano a mano brawl with an Incarnate," Amethyst adds.

Glitch pulls off her suit goggles. "OK, give us the bad news. What spell, exactly, does she want?"

"The one named 'Babel'."
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

OOC

I planned to advance your scene, but could not complete my post in time before I had to leave for work. Please be patient, and I will post for you ASAP.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

WARNING Post contains disturbing imagery WARNING

All
The Akashic Library

As you descend into the depths Gelert's Ring of Hope flares to life with a blue glow. A genderless voice speaks: "Warning. Warning. Star God presence detected. Proceed with extreme caution."

Like a knife through cake, Lucienne's laserlike attack has cut through the fortress cleanly and exposed the layers of the its bowels. Qora and Gelert recognize the hallways where the High Master showed her the history of Atlantis and the Lemurian Empire. You pass downwards, beyond even those, and at last enter a gargantuan underground cavern.

In the center of the cavern on a raised dais, like an ancient monolith, stands the great trapezoidal gateway of brass and stone that leads to the Akashic Library. All the walls of the cavern and the steps of the dais are covered with magical charms and talismans from every culture in the world, some dead for millenia. They tinkle and flutter eerily in the air as you descend to confront Lucienne.

Lucienne stands upright before the great gate, a being of luminous aether. Her long hair and her flowing gown are tinted with the hues of the rainbow, but her body is pure, brilliant light. Above her head burns a terrible halo, from which the glow suffusing the area comes.

As you descend she turns from the gate to face you. You are hit by an overwhelming sense of awe as her preternatural presence washes over you. You realize that you are in the presence of something not human and not mortal.
OOC
Lucienne is using her Luciferous Presence to prevent being attacked. Mechanically, this is like Fascinate (Oratory), but unusually, resisted by interaction skills rather than Will defense.

"There you are."

Her voice is no longer the dulcet, elegant and cultured honey that once spoke of saving the world from the Incarnate of War the first time you met in Deep Six federal penitentiary. Instead, it sounds hoarse, rough, abraded with a terrible hate that has burned for countless millenia.

She levels a finger at Qora and Gelert.

"Have you two seen the truth in the bowels of Shambhala? Do you now know the sordid story of the human race? Are you now aware of how the ancient hominids of Atlantis turned upon the Lemurians who educated them and nurtured them, and repaid their benevolence with war?"

Lucienne spreads her hands to encompass all of you.

"War is your destiny, Earthlings. War is the sweet nectar that your spirit thirsts for in the dark. Show me three humans and I will show you how two of them wage war on the third."

"You aren't choosy when it comes to reasons for war. A flag, a rag you wave in the wind? No problem! Some land, a piece of dirt you think you own? Why not! How about fickle ambition, pride and arrogance? Of course! Your genitals, your skin color, the God you pray to or the President you voted for, you'll take any stupid reason you can get for a good war."

ImageImageImage

"You dream of mighty weapons that will lay your enemies low. You dream of judges and laws that will cast your foes down as criminals and sinners. You dream of the mob that will raise its arms and voice against the ones you despise."

ImageImageImage

"You yearn to see your enemies with their bodies broken, loved ones slain, freedoms taken, their livelihoods, reputations and future ruined. Deep inside, your soul sings with joy when you see the lives of your enemies destroyed. You hunger for the sight of them bowed in submission and humiliation."

ImageImageImage

"You war against crime. You war for justice. You are so intoxicated with war, you declare war even on drugs, on disease, on poverty, on terrorism, all wars without end. The language of war is in your blood and soul. The truth is that whatever righteous purpose you fancy yourself serving, you're really just having fun indulging in war. No human agency can stand against the Incarnate of War, my little ones. I am your only hope."
OOC
To simplify mechanics, all the heroes resist with a single team check, rather than attempting to resist individually.

Lucienne has Presence 20, making this a DC 30 challenge. Make a DC 30 Team Check using persuasion, deception or intimidation (your choice). If you fail, next round you can make another, using a different interaction skill. If you fail to defeat her Fascinate with all 3 interaction skills, Lucienne attacks normally. If you succeed in breaking the Fascinate effect, you gain a surprise round to attack her with.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Kisai
HP: 7

"You're wrong. We are still a very young race. The ancestors of the Lemurians were no different than the earliest humans they met. And we have grown and are still growing. We aren't even halfway through our cycle and you seek to judge us now? What arrogance. Or is it foolishness, I wonder?"

"Sure you can cherry-pick examples of our violent nature, just as I can shine a light on the best of humanity. People like Mother Theresa who sacrifice to help people less fortunate. Or the millions of people who sacrifice time and money to help people less fortunate than themselves - sometimes even helping people in countries we are at 'war' with."

"No race is perfect. Even your shining example Lemurians. Some of them this very day threatened the life of a small Lemurian child to get their way. And it was a 'savage' human who risked her life to save the child. We are all learning and we are all getting better every day."

"And the fact that you can't see that means you are not worthy to guide us, much less lead us."
Persuasion check: 1d20+6 17
That's two successes on the Team check. One more and Gelert gets +5 to his roll
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

intimidation: 1d20+12 15

intimidation: 1d20+12 16 +10 reroll bonus = 26
---

Qora
HP 5- 1 = 4
condition: fine

"And you think this makes humanity special?" Qora asks, "You've described the history of countless civilizations, civilizations that could only learn after they destroyed each other. Humanity still has that capacity to learn, has been learning, each generation learning from the mistakes of those before them, and making brand new ones, and the civilizations that last are the ones that set aside their base urges, and tell themselves "I will not kill today. sapient life ill needs a saviour such as you. I can guess now what you are, and I say humanity has outgrown you."
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird
HP: 6 LP: 1
Condition: Normal

"Really after all that you think you're better than all of us, I know arrogance and that is arrogance with a capital A" Imogen exclaimed moving forward towards Lucienne, even though every cell in her body was telling her to run and hide under the biggest rock she could find.

"Kisai is right You can cherry pick what you like to justify your actions everyone does it, some a lot more than others but Qora is right as right humanity is still learning, still growing and we will outgrow you as well. That terrifies you doesn't it Lucienne, that we no longer have need of you and in the end you will be forgotten a footnote in dusty tombs that no one remembers. This I promise, we will defeat the Incarnate of War and we will overcome you today."

OOC wrote: Nightbird Intimidation
Nightbird Intimidation: 1d20+11 28
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Gelert
Hp:5

"You know what. I should probably have some sort of inspiring and elaborate rebuttal to that philosopy but my friends have it pretty well covered and frankly... you're just not worth it. I've had enough of your pontificating and speechimafying. I'm tired of all the nihilistic nonsense and superior attitude you've been spouting, I've heard this song and dance before. You, the Incarnates, Lord Steel, and all the other villains, even the Squirrels, all love to talk about how bad things are and how bad people are and all that junk. Well I think you and all the other villains have wasted enough air and time talking like that."

Gelert huffs. "There are a bunch of people I'd rather be helping right now, but while you're here putting everyone at risk I have to make that top priority. So enough is enough. Despite all the evils in the world, despite all the failings of humanity, despite anything and everything you throw at us. HOPE! BURNS! BRIGHT!"

Gelert's ring flares defiantly in the face of the Star God.

OOC: persuasion 1d20+14: 27
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Moonlight
HP: 5 LP: 0

"For a being so long-lived and in this universe for so long, your understanding of humanity's capacity for good, for never giving up even when faced with what is believed overwhelming odds, is less than mine and I'm not a native. The humans of my universe possess a 3rd eye on their forehead, are gifted with telepathic and telekinetic powers, and yet couldn't be any more different from the humans of this universe personality-wise than you are. You remind me of them, Lucienne, thinking because of your power you have a right to stand in judgement over others, the belief only you can save them from a threat so great they can't possibly do anything against it because of their "collective nature", only by folowing you can they succeed, whether by choice or forced to.

But humanity is made up of individuals. The mob may drive some through fear, through jealousy, but when things are at their darkest, when all hope seems lost, that is when humanity rises up and stands together, even if it just starts with a single voice of hope calling out. Today we will stand together, my friends and I, the Champions, as that voice of hope. And as Gelert says hope burns bright!"

Intense flame, blue bordering on white, flare up around Aranel as she stands near Gelert.

OOC: Persuasion: Persuasion check: 1d20+10 17 And there is the 3rd success so Gelert gets +5 to his Persuasion check.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

All
The Akashic Library
kenseido wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:36 pm "We aren't even halfway through our cycle and you seek to judge us now? What arrogance. Or is it foolishness, I wonder?"
kreuzritter wrote: Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:52 pm "sapient life ill needs a saviour such as you. I can guess now what you are, and I say humanity has outgrown you."
Gilliam wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:48 pm "This I promise, we will defeat the Incarnate of War and we will overcome you today."
stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:10 am Gelert huffs. " HOPE! BURNS! BRIGHT!"
Psistrike wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:59 am "Today we will stand together, my friends and I, the Champions, as that voice of hope."
Your stirring words ring through the chamber, and sudden wind rises as if in response. Tinkling, fluttering sounds fill the great cavern as the breeze stirs the countless magical seals and talismans that cover the stone walls and the great gate of the Library and from far above you hear voices. The magi of Shambhala are chanting in unison, weaving their most powerful spells to attempt to ensure that there is no escape for Lucienne from this space.

The terrible pure light of her halo dims and falters for a moment and you sense the time to strike is now!
OOC
You break the spell of Lucienne's supernatural presence and gain a surprise round. During a surprise round you can take 1 standard action, and enemies are considered Vulnerable.
You see Lucienne's lips, a shadow upon her face of blazing light, curl in a savage smile.

"You think you have no need of me? You think I misunderstand you? You plan to defeat War? You are welcome to try... But not before I do."

Her multi-hued eyes burn with a terrible hunger. A hunger that has ached and festered for eons and will not be quenched until the galaxy burns.

"I shall become humanity's darkest desire. I shall ascend to incarnatedom. I shall dethrone Kaak-Shar and I shall BECOME War!"
OOC
Lucienne cannot act in the surprise round.

Surprise Round
42 Lucienne Lightbringer (Vulnerable)
21 Moonlight *
19 Nightbird (higher bonus)
19 Kisai
15 Qora
09 Gelert

Moonlight is up!
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Moonlight
HP: 5>4 LP: 0
Condition: Fine

"Alright, that is enough out of you. You are an ancient, powerful entity, but you have obviously gone mad if you think becoming War's Incarnate is something we are going to let happen! Everyone, strike her at the same time, let's fight as one and show her we won't let her win!" The flames around her flare even more intensely for a moment as they become white hot and a goat of flame begins to jet towards Lucienne.

OOC: Attack roll with Elemental Blast, Power Attack +3 DC, -3 Atk: Attack roll: 1d20+9 10 HP to reroll: Attack roll: 1d20+9 19 =29 total to hit with DC 28. Holding attack for others as group attack.
Gilliam

Post by Gilliam »

Nightbird
HP: 6 LP: 1
Condition: Normal

Taking advantage of Lucienne's distraction, Nightbird struck from the shadows coordinating her attack with her teammates.
OOC wrote: Nightbird PA +/- 5
Nightbird PA +5: 1d20+14-5 22
If it hits a DC28 Toughness Save
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Kisai
HP: 7 (-1=6); Condition: Bruised x1

Philip jumps toward Lucienne and as he does a large staff forms in his hands. As he starts to come down short, a blade forms on the end of it creating a naginata. The blade sweeps down with the added momentum of Kisai's drop in unison with the rest of the team.
Following up with the combined attack
Kisai PA [5]: 1d20+14-5 10
Oh look, a 1. I am totally shocked.
HP to reroll: 1d20+14-5 18+10 = 28
DC28 Toughness
kreuzritter

Post by kreuzritter »

Qora

Qora charges in head first to keep Lucienne's attention from the others

attack: 1d20+8 15. DC 29 TOU if that hits
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Moonlight, Kisai & Nightbird
The Akashic Library

Kisai and Nightbird smash into Lucienne's back as Moonlight's bolt of flame explodes against her grinning face. As the heroes draw back, Lucienne's skin between her shoulderblades cracks like porcelain and a small piece falls off, revealing a hollow void inside dotted with stars.

In response, the halo floating above Lucienne's head burns with terrible fury. A laserlike beam of light lances out from the halo at Moonlight, distorting the air it lances through and exploding the rock where she stands.

"Your desires are irrelevant, maggot. All Earth calls out for War! How can I not indulge their fervent pleas?" She leans forward and grins. "You say humanity can outgrow me? You say it has no need for my salvation? Bold claims, my little one. Let me show you just how little you understand human nature."

Lucienne raises her arms high. " 'And the LORD said, Behold, the people is one, and they have all one language; and this they begin to do: and now nothing will be restrained from them, which they have imagined to do...' "
OOC
All 3 attacks have the same rank, DC 28, so Moonlight counts as the primary attack in your Team Attack. Nightbird and Kisai contribute 1 and 2 degrees of success respectively, for a total of 3 degrees, or +5 rank, making the final check DC 33. Since +5 is the greatest possible benefit, I'm going to end the team attack here, as further attacks cannot be combined.

Lucienne Lightbringer Toughness DC 33: 1D20+20 = [10]+20 = 30

Failed 1 degree, bruised -1

Lucienne uses Light of Judgment as a reaction on Moonlight.

Lucienne Lightbringer attack vs Moonlight: 1D20+10 = [12]+10 = 22

Hits. Moonlight, make a DC 30 Toughness check.

Surprise Round
42 Lucienne Lightbringer (Vulnerable, -1)
21 Moonlight
19 Nightbird (higher bonus)
19 Kisai
15 Qora *
09 Gelert

Qora is up!