[OOC] Four Horsemen [Finished]

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Sakuro

Re: [OOC] Four Horsemen [recruiting 1]

Post by Sakuro »

Falling damage in MNM isn't nearly as punishing as it is in other systems. Protagonists survive a lot of falling in comics.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Build is largely done, I'm mainly just having a bit of a sticking point on the background. I have more or less bullet points of one, but having trouble weaving them together. Long story short, he's a gang member who had a rough upbringing as an orphan that led to him holding life as irreverent. He's hurt people simply for the sake of enacting violence. The kind of guy that kicks puppies while having a mostly apathetic demeanor.

Mechanically, he manifests armaments for his personal use. In reality, they are constructs of divine energy that simply look like weapons and the like. Best to think of him as an energy controller, except the energy he controls is "gun". :P
Power Level: 12
Power Points: [180/180]
Hero Points: 1
[30]ABI [33]DEF [12]SKI [22]ADV [83]POW

PL:
[30]Abilities
Strength: 0
Stamina: 4
Agility: 2
Dexterity: 4
Fighting: 3
Intellect: 0
Awareness: 2
Presence: 0

[*]Combat[*]
Initiative: +6
Unarmed: +0 DC15
B&B: +12 DC27 (1200'/2400'/4800')
Non-Lethal: +12 DC27 (300'/600'/1200')
Explosives: DC22 DC27/21 (1200'/2400'/4800')(30' radius)
Sprays: DC22 DC27/21 (60' cone), Secondary Effect

[33]Defenses
Tough: +12 (4+8)
Dodge: +12 (2+10)
Parry: +12 (3+9)
Fort: +10 (4+6)
Will: +10 (2+8)

[12]Skills[(1:3) 36sp]
Athletics 7(+7), Expertise (Crime) 4(+4), Expertise (Streetwise) 4(+4), Insight 8(+10), Perception 4(+6), Stealth 5(+7), Vehicles 4(+8)

[22]Advantages
Accurate Attack, All-Out Attack, Assessment, Defensive Attack, Improved Aim, Improved Initiative, Improved Smash, Move-By Action, Power Attack, Precise Attack 2(Ranged Cover/Concealment), Ranged Attack 8, Takedown 2, Ultimate Effort (Aim)

[83]Powers
Manifest Armaments (Array)
[40] Blades and Ballistics: Damage 12, Extended Range 2, Multiattack, Ranged, Variable Descriptor 2 (Weapons)
[ 1] Non-Lethals: Move Object 12, Damaging, Limited Direction (Towards), Variable Descriptor 2 (Weapons), Quirk (Non-lethal damamge only)
[ 1] Explosives: Damage 12, Area (Burst), Extended Range 2, Ranged, Variable Descriptor 2 (Weapons)
[ 1] Sprays: Damage 12, Area (Cone), Secondary Effect, Variable Descriptor 2 (Weapons)
[ 1] Bulwark: Create 12, Continuous, Stationary

War Armor
[ 8] Protection 8, Sustained
[13] Immunity 13 (Environmental(5), Poison(1), Sensory Affliction(5), Suffocation(2))

Weapon Master
[10] Immunity 20 (Weapons originating from weapons), Sustained, Limited to Half Effect

Scope
[ 2] Senses 2 (Extend Visual 2(x1000))

Motorized Zip-Line
[ 2] Flight 4 (500ft), Limited to between 2 points, Platform

"Fly-on-the-wall" Harness
[ 1] Movement 1 (Wall-Crawling), Limited to Stationary position

Cloaking Field
[ 2] Concealment 4 (All Visual), Blending, Passive

Enhanced Mobility
[ 1] Speed 1 (60ft)
[ 5] Leaping 5 (250ft)

---Complications---
Motivation (Horseman): Vincent is a Horseman and tasked with the destruction of the world, and he's inclined to bring it about as violently as possible.

Impulse Control: Vincent doesn't have much of a temper to speak of and can come off as creepily calm even in the middle of a pitched combat, however, he embodies violence incarnate and prone to attacking without warning, reason or provocation. Sometimes violence just needs to happen in his presense.

Collateral Damage: Some of Vincent's manifested weaponry packs high calibur rounds or even explosives which can cause considerable collateral damage that could work against him and his fellow horsemen.
Background:

Vincent Colt figured he had to have been born under an unlucky star. He was orphaned at an early age and bounced from one foster home to another, each unable to handle his 'outbursts' where he would get into frequent fights, often ones he started himself. Not that he had a temper exactly, in fact, it was rare to hear him raise his voice, but something in him just drew him to violent behavior that couldn't be curbed, even with traditional solutions like martial arts, where he just ended up going too far and hurting his fellow students and ending up expelled.

This violent path lead Vincent to gang life, where he rolled with a local gang for several years, his reckless behavior somehow getting him nothing more than a nickname, "DM", or "Deadman", due to his irreverent take on life. He liked his gangmates well enough, but any bonds with them were transient at best, only lasting as long as they were necessary, showing little to no care when a gang member was killed. Still, he did what he was told and got things done, so his irreverent behavior was tolerated.

One day, his gang leader informed the gang of a lucky break, a gig running guns for some illicit munitions production group. It meant a fat paycheck for them, and if things went well, future paydays as well. Vincent may have not been the best face of the gang, but he had a record for getting things done, sometimes ruthlessly, and with something as important than this, he was an obiouv pick for the crew to run the weapons.

Things went sideways fast. Turned out one of the gang on Vincent's crew was a mole; a deep cover cop informant type. "Was" being the operating tense as Vincent made short work of the man and tried to complete the job. Still, quickly having routes cut off by the cops, the venture was doomed to failure, and like hell was Vincent going to go down with it.

The chase that ensued was like it was ripped right out of an action flick as Vincent tore through the city in the transport vehicle, firing out the windows; at cops, pedestrians, store fronts, anything at all to cause mayhem before being forced to abandon the transport and flee on foot, splitting off from what remained of the runner crew.

Vincent almost got away, ducking into a school that had been closed up for the weekend, but not entirely abandoned. As Vincent lay low, he was spotted by a weekend cleaning crew worker who had been listening to the news and heard about the chase. Vincent was out of weapons, but he wasn't about to give up because some nobody saw his face. After one more brutal beating and a battered body left in his wake, Vincent got away, changed after all the carnage he'd left in his wake, countless people injured or worse, topped off with a brutal beating in cold blood as the janitor had pleaded that he wasn't going to tell anyone.
Last edited by EpicEclipse on Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 5 times in total.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Sakuro wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 2:47 am It seems like you are misunderstanding the premise of the game Catsi. The PCs are meant to be what people would traditionally consider villains. They're empowered by an unknown party or force with no heavenly or hellish association (best not to assume the cosmology of a homebrew setting). They did something horrible, evil even, before getting their powers.
I do understand actually. the notion im putting forward though is the villainy based on the saying the only thing needed for evil to prosper is that good men do nothing. Not every villain needs to be mustachoo twirling MWAHAHAHAH. some villains are quiet in the background. in this case per Mr D whatever empowered him his minds gone off into the full mental aspect that hes death incarnate and hes fulfilling his divine purpose what ever that may be.
How would that translate to some sin or big evil? Others have killing people on purpose or intentionally, but something like watching a horrible incident like rape, murder, drowning, etc of someone of consequence to them would also work.
Again thats where i think hes unique. hes meant to be that one exception. he didnt do any murderous things until after he was empowered. he was largely inconsequencial to the world, he had no real fame or even any form of ambition.

only now he has the ultimate ambition. END IT ALL. now hes of massive consequence once all he could do was wiat for death now he bloody well brings it in spades
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

I am fine with the nobody before powers and subtle villainy angle. As you say, not being overly obvious villain works at times as well. One of the key things though is that the PC's, before empowerment, did something to activate their powers so to speak. It doesn't need to be murder. I gave examples previously related to inaction, but other things might be he slacked off on a safety check because of a bribe or something that got a lot of people hurt. Another example might be he was in a hit and run with a child, but had to go to the hospital because he suffered some wounds. When questioned, he could have told what happen helping quicken the saving of the child to avoid more complications(brain damage, paralysis, etc), but lied.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

maybe a little blurb about a young girl who was in the same sick ward as him. she was basically his only friend who tried to get him to live and be bright. but he could never quite live up to her hopes. then one day she died while he watched. she just dies and hes forced to watch the only person who ever cared about him die with no rhyme or reason for it.

from there his own life seemed to go away as he lost the will to live unti that fateful day where he was empowered.
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Catsi stories
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

It's close, but while grief inducing it doesn't rise to the level of a sin or evil thing. If she was going to live if he intervened and was capable to in some capacity, sure. Through his choice to be passive he caused someone to die. Watching someone die and being unable to save them though isn't really a sin or evil thing to do.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Hmm... If you'd allow me to assist that cpuld be twisted in a darker way. Perhaps it was a girl she knew was in a bad way, something life threatening. She was going to undergo a surgery that had a less then 5% chance of success, and he "wished her luck" despite knowing she would not surivive. But then she did. Her surgery was a success, and all she had to do was recover.

He felt this was wrong. She should be dead. The fact that she wasn't just repulsed the man on a deep level he can't fully fathom. So that night he went up to her room past visitor hours, and flicked a switch. The girl had been on life support while she was recovering, and then she wasn't. When she died, he felt relief. This was the way it was supposed to be.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

For the weapon master, the overall build looks ok except for the immunity to damage from weapons.

[20] Immunity 20 (Weapons originating from weapons), Sustained

That is going to be a brunt of the damage he would receive meaning he won't even be able to be hurt 95% of the time. Its that or I compensate for it with someone who would negate it easily. I'd be ok with half damage though.

Background wise, sounds like you have a good idea. I'll wait to comment further until seeing the full thing.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

mrdent12 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:40 am For the weapon master, the overall build looks ok except for the immunity to damage from weapons.

[20] Immunity 20 (Weapons originating from weapons), Sustained

That is going to be a brunt of the damage he would receive meaning he won't even be able to be hurt 95% of the time. Its that or I compensate for it with someone who would negate it easily. I'd be ok with half damage though.

Background wise, sounds like you have a good idea. I'll wait to comment further until seeing the full thing.
Sure, I can knock that down to half damage and redistribute the 10 points.
TacticalPlotArmor

Post by TacticalPlotArmor »

Hey y'all would you be open for anyone else to submit a build? I had an idea of a rich young woman who has become the incarnation of Pride, manifesting as an array of psionic abilities. I've got the build done but I'm working on fleshing out the background.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

I am giving Catsi and EpicEclipse a chance until Tuesday night or so to finish up their builds before opening it to people who didn't previously apply out of courtesy to them. If they don't get anything fully up though, other builds would be considered.
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

I've got a background written up and knocked the Immunity to Half Effect, though havent decided exactly where to put the 10pp.

A few thoughts:
A travel power as a standing for the "horse" part of "horsemen", though I see no-one else really has such a thing.

A teleport that allows teleportation to areas of active violence and an attached violence sense. Not 100% sure I can built this in 10 points as a viable thing, but it was a thought.

A regeneration power that is only active while being actively violent. Could build it as a low rank reaction heal that goes off whenever he attacks.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

I would advise fleshing out the character's Skills some more. Perception, Expertise Streetwise ,and Crime would be good for Vincent.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
catsi563

Re: [OOC] Four Horsemen - Recruiting

Post by catsi563 »

catsi563 wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:52 am Death : John Smith AKA the Pale Rider, the Fourth Horsemen, the Omega, The Grim Reaper, the Ferryman

PL:10/210pp

Attributes: 38pp

Str: 0, Agi: 0, Fight: 6, Awe: 6

Sta: - , Dex: 0, Int: 6, Pre: 6

Skills: 16PP

Expertise Death 14 (+20 )
Insight 8 (+14 )
Intimidation 14 (+20 )
Perception 8 (+14 )
Treatment 4 (+10 )

Advantages: 8pp

Benefit 1 (Death itself), Daze (Intimidation), Diehard, Eidetic Memory, Fascinate (Intimidation), Fearless, Startle, Withstand Damage

Powers: 131pp

"Death Eternal"
"You Cant Kill Death" Immortality 1 (2 weeks) [2]
Regeneration 10 (Feats: Regrow Limbs) [11]
Death itself (Immunity 5 (Death effects) 5pp
Deaths Choice (Feature 1 (may choose ONCE to bypass THE LIST) 1pp
Undead (feature 1 Undead treat you as one of them) 1pp

Immunity 30 (Fortitude Effects) [30pp]
Protection 14 (Extras: Impervious 14) [28]

Visiions of Death (Array 4 + 3 Alt effects) 11pp
See the Dying: (Senses 5 (Detect [Death or Dying] Ranged Accurate Acute) 8pp
Vision of Death: Senses 4 (Precognition(flaw: limited Visions of death -1) 1pp
Speak with the Dead: (Senses 4 (Postcognition) 1pp
Speak all tongues: (Comprehend 4 (Languages 4) 1pp

The Power of Death (Array 36 + 11 Alternate powers) 47pp
Banshees wail (Perception Area Hearing Affliction 12 [resist & overcome by will] Dazed Stunned Dying )
Strength of the Grave (Enhanced Strength 12 Improved Critical 4 (unarmed) and power Attack, And Close Combat 2 and Power lifting 4)
Deaths Gate (Movement 2 Dimensional 2 [Afterlives] Portal)
Death stare (Perception ranged Cumulative Affliction 12 (resist overcome by will) (Impaired Stunned Paralyzed)
Death touch (cumulative Affliction 12 [resist & overcome by fortitude] Impaired Disabled Dying])
Suppress life (Weaken Stamina 12 (incurable Insidious (only vs recovery checks)
Deaths Gift (Healing 9 (Extras: Ranged, Restorative, Resurrection, ) (Flaws: Limited to Others)
Untouchable Substance (Insubstantial 4 (Feats: Selective, Subtle 2)
Valkyries Ride (teleport 18 Accurate Extended (limited to dying subject)
I beheld a Pale Horse (Immortality 16 (30 seconds )
Pale Rider: (Speed 12 subtle 2, wall crawling 2, Water walking 2, Trackless, Safe fall, leaping 10 )

Offense:
Unarmed +8 (+14 Damage, DC 29)
Initiative +0

Defenses: (12pp)
Dodge +6 (DC 20), Parry +6 (DC 20), Toughness +14 (+14 Impervious), Fortitude --, Will +12

Complications

The Balance: Death is devoted to maintaining the balance of the universe by insuring the cycle of life to death continues. this is done without exception or mercy though in rare instances he might be convinced to grant a stay.

The List: Death has a list of who dies when and where and how, this is never wrong and Death follows it religiously.
* Deaths powers cannot kill someone whose time is not on the list.
* nor can they heal someone whos time has come.

The Archangel of Death: Death is a manifestation of her will and can be called to some duty anywhere at any time.

Mute (Death can speak but the voice of death is not meant for mortal ears and hearing it is almost certainly a death sentence for anyone hearing it.)

Total: Abilities: 38 / Skills: 16 / Advantages: 8 / Powers: 136 / Defenses: 12 (210pp)

Background

In the beginning nothing changed, and then the presence said four words.

"Let there be light."

The Presence had decided that things must change in order for balance to be maintained. the Archangel of Destiny gave this change a name.

Death.

It was decided that an archangel would exemplify the word of Death, the concept of change from one state of life to another. The angel chosen was named Azrael, she was a minor angel a servant of the Archangel of Life. At once she was upgraded to the status of archangel and her power changed simultaneously immense enough to cause even the Morning Star to pause. But restrained by a mandate that only she, the Archangel of Destiny and the Presence itself could know. Mysterious and terrifying her face forever hidden underneath a dark cloak which hid her features from even the most powerful of archangels.

Over the Aeons She would take on many names across the universe. the Reaper, Hades, Anubis, always some Aspect of her would be known to man, and always those aspects would have one singular purpose. To contine the Cycle of life into death and back into life again. Part of these aspects was created by her ages agone to be the ultimate judge and if necessary executioner.

The Horseman of Death. the Pale Rider. One of the Four.

And thus we come to John Smith. A nobody, someone seemingly destined to be forgotten by history. Abandoned at birth, consigned to an orphanage. Ill at birth and for most of his life, no athletic ability, no intellect or imagination. Merely average and soon to be forgotten alone except for the vague whispers in his mind that he could hear.

Only one young girl refused to let him fall into despair. She was as sick as he was but she never despaired or lost hope and she tried to get him to do the same. And slowly she did --at least she thought so--. Then one day she got good news, an experimental treatment for her condition was available. She was exited and told him to wish her luck which he did, even though he knew it would be hopeless, the procedure only worked in less then 2% of cases at best with major complications at worst.

She was taken away and john despaired because his friend would be gone, and the whispers grew louder.

Then she survived; the procedure was a success. She would live and no complications were expected. There was hope, and something in John broke that night. he couldn't process what had happened. She was going to live, the chances were astronomical beyond any possibility. that was when there lying ill in his sick bed, the whispers hed heard grew louder and more insistent.

There was something he had to do the balance had to be restored. So John stumbled out of bed, and walked on weak legs that could barely hold his frail form into her room where she was sleeping and recovering.

She was so beautiful, and he barely felt it as he turned off the machines keeping her breathing as a precaution, then he raised her medication level. he watched fascinated as her vitals plunged then finally flatlined as they did her eyes opened, and stared at him locked with his. And as they did he saw something leave her, heard something congratulating him then he returned to bed somehow unnoticed by the staff rushing to her room.

As john lay there that night he received a visitor. the first visitor he'd ever received outside of the nursing staff, and his friend. She was beautiful the face he could see beneath the hood of her cloak. She whispered to him in a voice that was so beautiful even though her lips never moved. It was the voice of the whispers that had been with him all his life. She sang to him and told him that his time had come.

He would be called, the one and the fourth. The horsemen that would follow all the other horsemen. Where War, Famine, Pestilence, Strife, Contagion, Destruction and all the others passed, he would walk in their wake bringing about the final change

He stood up then his body healthier then it had ever been before, and his name as forgotten, as his purpose was now clear. He looked before him and beheld a pale horse, and when he sat upon him he knew that he who rode upon him was Death.

And hell followed with him.
Bit od a place holder build while i sort things out

the basics of the character are that hes a walking (not talking) manifsestation of death, the original pale rider. where he goes death is let in his wake. hes not genocidal like the others though hes merely doing his duty as he always has. hes ageless and timesless and goes about hsi task.

sometimes he stops to listen as if someone speaking to him or occasionally he cna be seen talking to a robed figure then he returns to his duties

Story updated per request.
updated per suggestion added Doc maisyns suggestion to the background it works for me.
Last edited by catsi563 on Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Catsi stories
EpicEclipse

Post by EpicEclipse »

Sakuro wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:50 am I would advise fleshing out the character's Skills some more. Perception, Expertise Streetwise ,and Crime would be good for Vincent.
That makes sense, lol. Though, he's not meant to be terribly skill oriented, so his overall ranks are on the lighter side, but some ranks in those skills does make sense. So I spent 4pp on that, which leaves me with 6 more.