Adventures In Hyboria: OCC thread ~ Done

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Spectrum

Re: Another D&D Game - Recruiting done & PCs chosen

Post by Spectrum »

C'mon Bob, you've got to come with me. There is this super cute ghoul that you've got to meet!
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:56 pm
Conclave of Responsible Necromancers. Or CoRN for short. (Yes I deliberately named it for the acronym)
I recommend either Conclave of Responsible Wholesome Necromancers or Conclave of Responsible Worldly Necromancers with the moniker of CRoWN.

Their could be teirs like Silver CRoWN member, Gold CRoWN, etc... The highest eschelon are named for gems, maybe there's only one each of those: Jade CRoWN, Ruby... the highest being Diamond CRoWN..... etc, collectively known as the CRoWN Jewels. :)
Yes this kind of connection makes a lot of sense to me. Anne has definitely spent a lot of time in libraries and would jump at the chance to make Library friends.

And I'm not necessarily saying that Anne definitely dragged Abigail out to a Sorority Kegger at least once... But Anne has definite dragged Abigail out to a Sorority Kegger at least once.
While Abigail's default mode is introverted and a bit prissy, when she puts forth the effort (or is buzzed enough) she opens up with an amazing charm and people skills. She can keep up (and bowl some over) with an encyclopedic knowledge of the undead and when they last played a major role in history. "Yes, Charles the Conqueror used a Bileborn in the Seige of Thermopial. The vile amalgam absorbed fully half of the cavalry before the High Chancellor smote it with divine wrath. The horse screams were said to have lingered for hours though. Parts everywhere. Nasty business. *hic*"
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:56 pm Conclave of Responsible Necromancers. Or CoRN for short. (Yes I deliberately named it for the acronym)

Anne is a card carrying member. Its an organization devoted to ensuring necromancy is practiced with ethics and intelligence rather than raising zombie hordes all willy-nilly or accidentally unleashing vengeful undead and causing problems for everyone.
Please. I am interested in hearing more. What makes necromancy more ethical?

I may have to revisit my idea for a necromantic lounge show and dance troupe....
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

I recommend either Conclave of Responsible Wholesome Necromancers or Conclave of Responsible Worldly Necromancers with the moniker of CRoWN.
So if a prince or princess joined them would they be a CROWN Royal? :lol:

as an aside Tman are you giving any free feats at first level as heroic feats or since were starting at 2 as earned via Rp or background or milestone?
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Showdown at the Litterbox

Catsi stories
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

I've never been in a game where a DM did that.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Yeah, that sounds pretty wild.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Flynnarrel wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 9:59 pm I've never been in a game where a DM did that.
I have actually I always give a starting feat in D&D editions that have such on top of the usual

just didn't know if Tman was allowing such
Dr. Silverback has wryly observed that this is like trying to teach lolcats about Shakespeare

Catsi stories
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

I could see that in older editions where feats were a much smaller deal and oftentimes prerequisites for other things. In 5E [some] feats alter gameplay much more significantly.
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

yeah I know like I said its house rule of mine I go for the big heroes. why I asked. if Tman says no all good.

Catsi stories
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Okay. Since we have Anne in the team (and I just cannot be bothered with drama over Pelor not liking undead) I'm going to go with Fharlanghn.
The traveling aspect is a good fit, though admittedly I wonder if Fharlanghn would even have paladins... Well, he does now. ;~)

Tiberium Tullium Avarice>
I like the idea of them having been from the same city, and probably know of each other even if they haven't met each other. Jarrak would stick out enough to be worthy of note if only because of his heritage, and Tiberium being the head of his clan would be an important enough public figure for Jarrak to know.

Lan>
If the monks are the local mail force inside the cities it's possible that Jarrak could be an unofficial carrier of sorts carrying letters from smaller towns that don't get as many people moving through.
Would give him an excuse to visit on a regular basis, and if Lan was assigned to be his contact point they'd probably know each other, even if only to say hello.
I may be grasping at straws ;~)

Jack>
If Jack is working as a traveling entertainer it's possible they've encountered each other before on the road.

Abigail Bright>
I like the idea of them having known each other during her traveling days, ten years ago would have been about five years into his life as a traveling adventurer.
Always possible he was on the last fatefull trip. He could have been the one who brought her to the Sacred Temple, and would give him an excuse to check in on her when he's back in the city.

Anne Natomi>
Anne is another one I'm having trouble finding a link to. Though if Anne and Abigail are friends it might be possible they've met in passing.

Kiara>
I can't think of a reason why Jarrak would know Kiara.
Assuming Braile was around and taking jobs for the military over fifteen years ago he might have known him, but that was quite some time ago.

These are just some thoughts for a sleep deprived man, so let me know if you like/dislike have cooler more interesting ideas... or discovered the paragraph where I literally lost track of what I was saying and wrote a complete different end unrelated to what I'd written before.
*Glances as Lan's section*
catsi563

Post by catsi563 »

Kiara>
I can't think of a reason why Jarrak would know Kiara.
Assuming Braile was around and taking jobs for the military over fifteen years ago he might have known him, but that was quite some time ago.
I do have it in my head that Braile was former military and a spy of some sort which is where his experience comes from and why hes so organized as well as having extensive contacts in various high places. so yeah its fully plausible for jarrak and Braile to know each others in several ways both friendly and antagonistic

Catsi stories
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Arkrite wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:56 am Lan>
If the monks are the local mail force inside the cities it's possible that Jarrak could be an unofficial carrier of sorts carrying letters from smaller towns that don't get as many people moving through.
Would give him an excuse to visit on a regular basis, and if Lan was assigned to be his contact point they'd probably know each other, even if only to say hello.
I may be grasping at straws ;~)

These are just some thoughts for a sleep deprived man, so let me know if you like/dislike have cooler more interesting ideas... or discovered the paragraph where I literally lost track of what I was saying and wrote a complete different end unrelated to what I'd written before.
*Glances as Lan's section*
The Monks would be the mail carriers intra- and inter-city but there could be the occasional parcel that needs delivery to a smaller rural area and the Monastery would contract a local guide/back-up protection. Jarrak could be one such frequent contact. Lan and Jarrak could have traveled together for short stints, days at a time, maybe with an older, more experienced courier-monk; I'm thinking the first experience was with a real battle-axe of a dwarfess monk, 'Gretchen', (sounds about right). Of course Jarrak ended up charming smiles out of Gretchen and the woman's girlish giggles still haunt Lan's nightmares. Lan is pretty sure Jarrak and Gretchen shared tent space a night or two here and there (whether they did or not). There were maybe two or three other trips over a great span of time, always with another since Lan is still lower ranked in the order. Maybe One time when you stopped in to the Monastery inquiring about work (maybe after visiting Abigail at the Sacred Library), Lan could have introduced you to Kiara, but only in passing. (Kiara would have heard the story from Lan about a traveler who'd charmed the pants off of Gretchen and can finally put a name to a face).
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Vivid wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 4:11 pm
stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:56 pm
Conclave of Responsible Necromancers. Or CoRN for short. (Yes I deliberately named it for the acronym)

Their could be teirs like Silver CRoWN member, Gold CRoWN, etc... The highest eschelon are named for gems, maybe there's only one each of those: Jade CRoWN, Ruby... the highest being Diamond CRoWN..... etc, collectively known as the CRoWN Jewels. :)
To be honest I actually intentionally went with the version that would have a silly acronym (just my personal sense of humor), I came up with the concept based on a joke in a tumblr post for use in my own D&D setting. That said these are also good ideas.
catsi563 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:30 pm
So if a prince or princess joined them would they be a CROWN Royal? :lol:
*cue dry laughter echoing from several ancient royal tombs*
Spectrum wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:00 pm
stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:56 pm Conclave of Responsible Necromancers. Or CoRN for short. (Yes I deliberately named it for the acronym)

Anne is a card carrying member. Its an organization devoted to ensuring necromancy is practiced with ethics and intelligence rather than raising zombie hordes all willy-nilly or accidentally unleashing vengeful undead and causing problems for everyone.
Please. I am interested in hearing more. What makes necromancy more ethical?

I may have to revisit my idea for a necromantic lounge show and dance troupe....
I've put a bit of thought into it, mainly for use in my own setting but why not share good ideas.

A couple of key points for Responsible Necromancy:

1. Obtaining and raising corpses requires permission/consent: You can't just go to any old graveyard and raise up a band of undead minions, grave robbing is a crime. Ideally all raising would be done with donated bodies, but consent of next of kin for bodies acquired in the field is required which may include compensation to the parties involved. Murdering people for the purpose of raising them as minions is prohibited. Raising fallen enemies is more of a grey area, allowable but with extra paperwork and regulation.

2. Command Flesh and Bone not soul and spirit: Raising the (properly obtained) bodies of the dead as undead minions is perfectly fine, binding the souls of the dead is ethically dubious. Any souls bound to your service as either incorporeal or intelligent undead must be properly contracted with consent given from the soul in question.

3. Do not raise up anything you cannot put down/Anything you raise is your responsibility: While CoRN believes that Necromancy is not inherently evil they acknowledge that without strict control the Undead are potentially dangerous beings. As Such a Necromancer is responsible for all actions taken by the undead they raise up. If you lose control of your zombie servant and it eats somebody, you are liable. Necromancers must need to keep strict control of their undead and destroy any that go wild. This is why inexperienced Necromancers are discouraged from raising undead unsupervised lest they raise too many or too powerful an undead to manage.

The general philosophy is that Necromancy is like fire, a useful but potentially dangerous tool. If you intentionally burn someone's house down or leave a fire unattended which leads to it burning uncontrolled, you are at fault for either arson or negligence. Same for if you use undead for evil ends or carelessly raise something that goes on a rampage.

That's about all I've come up with.
Other than the ideal end point of most research done by CoRN is with the end goal of developing a process of obtaining Ethical Lichdom.
Removing or substituting the many many many morally dubious aspects of an already complicated magical process is no easy feat.
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Arkrite wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:56 am Abigail Bright>
I like the idea of them having known each other during her traveling days, ten years ago would have been about five years into his life as a traveling adventurer.
Always possible he was on the last fatefull trip. He could have been the one who brought her to the Sacred Temple, and would give him an excuse to check in on her when he's back in the city.

Yay! I've always liked the storyline in Sin City where Jessica Alba's character is rescued by Bruce Willis' character. Though Abigail is more the slightly shy (more just awkward) bookworm that Nancy came across as in her letters.
How often do you think Jakkar would visit Abigail?
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

stavaros_the_arcane wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:43 pm
To be honest I actually intentionally went with the version that would have a silly acronym (just my personal sense of humor), I came up with the concept based on a joke in a tumblr post for use in my own D&D setting. That said these are also good ideas.
So you intentionally wanted it... CoRNy?