Adventures In Hyboria: OCC thread ~ Done

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Flynnarrel

Re: Adventures In Hyboria (Another D&D game): OCC thread

Post by Flynnarrel »

I like the fact that Jarrak is 'above it all' when it comes to teases and jests.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

So, would it be an insight check to review what the contract could be twisted into?

Also, does it provide a problem if the contract includes a 'use name' rather than a 'true name'?
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Tully may just be too trusting of Abigail to not intentionally try to screw us over. Really though, nice work Vivid. It's almost... Inspiring, don't you think? ;)
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Thank you, Dr.M.

If the Insight is against Abigail there is no ulterior motives. If anything, the girl will seem too naive about most things.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Vivid- awesome job.. and thank you from taking it out of the original format, much easier to read this way!

And no, while Jack is unlikely to trust Abigail fully.. yet? he would be on the lookout for potential pitfalls. Possibly she accidentally left something in there that could be used against them.

After all, millions of dollars in real world legal fees have been based upon the lack of a comma.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Hey- Tman, any thoughts on whether Jack would be able to see if the contract could be exploited before signing it?
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Spectrum wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:29 pm Hey- Tman, any thoughts on whether Jack would be able to see if the contract could be exploited before signing it?
Did I miss that in the OC thread? Simply put there isn't anything to be exploited.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Spectrum wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:37 pm So, would it be an insight check to review what the contract could be twisted into?

Also, does it provide a problem if the contract includes a 'use name' rather than a 'true name'?
Good to hear! Thank you!
Tattooedman

Post by Tattooedman »

Spectrum wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:15 pm
Spectrum wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:37 pm So, would it be an insight check to review what the contract could be twisted into?

Good to hear! Thank you!
No problem, sorry I missed that.
Jabroniville wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:45 pm
LOl- "The Tattooed Man"? What kind of ABSOLUTE DILDO would refer to himself as "The Tattooed Man" :P!?!
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Brilliant work Arkite, brilliant. How much of that story to you imagine he'd have told Abigail, or even the group as a whole?
------------
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

I expect that most of that story people would be able to learn from other sources, if they really wanted to. It's not a dark hidden secret, so if people wanted to find out they'd be able to.

How many people has Jarrak himself told? Not so many.

There's a reason why he waited to get his cousin alone before sharing the story, he's not exactly proud of that period of his life. Having to acknowledge your own mistakes and failures is hard ;~)
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Arkite- a beautiful and painful story to read. Thank you for sharing it with us!

And its this kind of awesome story which shows how weak the mechanics are sometimes! Why didn't Jarrak just take a short/long rest or get a 1st level cleric to heal him or take a healing pot and he'd perfectly alright! He'd be perfectly fine then!

Even worse is in video games when you can resurrect your team mates in a matter of seconds and yet death is presented as a dramatic opportunity. No really, you don't need to mourn your beloved sister, I can just raise her in 5, 4, 3...

Which makes stories like yours all the more awesome! Real narrative strength!
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Hahah, it seems to be rather mixed in some stories set in DnD or even pathfinder due to things such as healing spells or resurrection. In the Kingmaker video game, there's a certain plot point which is supposed to result in at least one person dying, with them having just enough time to give you dramatic words as a sendoff. ...While in your inventory are two scrolls of resurrection, a couple dozen cure scrolls, and one of the best damn life clerics in the world in your party.

Less dramatic tension and more frustration that I can't use any of rhe other logically presented options to save one kf the dying characters.
------------
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Thanks for the kind words, folks!
Spectrum wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:06 pm And its this kind of awesome story which shows how weak the mechanics are sometimes! Why didn't Jarrak just take a short/long rest or get a 1st level cleric to heal him or take a healing pot and he'd perfectly alright! He'd be perfectly fine then!
Yeah, turns out the wounds inflicted resulted in the limbs being considered "missing" in terms of healing, thus requiring a level 7 Regeneration spell to fix.
Or maybe it was a curse of some sort. Or the effect of a poison. Or some kind of monster attack.

As you might imagine, I left the cause of it open because, uh... I'm not sure? ;~)
Doctor Malsyn wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:52 pm Hahah, it seems to be rather mixed in some stories set in DnD or even pathfinder due to things such as healing spells or resurrection. In the Kingmaker video game, there's a certain plot point which is supposed to result in at least one person dying, with them having just enough time to give you dramatic words as a sendoff. ...While in your inventory are two scrolls of resurrection, a couple dozen cure scrolls, and one of the best damn life clerics in the world in your party.
Yeah, more often than not it just seems silly.
There are some rules for Raise Dead that can make bringing people back difficult. A missing organ isn't regenerated without a higher level spell, so cutting out somebody's heart, or decapitating the body is enough to keep most people dead.
Resurrection will help even when that happens, but has a 1000 gold price tag, but requires some part of the body to remain.
True Resurrection will fix even that... for 25,000 gold.

Sometimes just adding a heavy price tag would help explain why everybody isn't just raised on demand.

Or you have FF7 where a character dies and you're like "I have 100 Phoenix Downs, why can't I just bring them back???"
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Hi, I'm Specturm and I have an unhealthy recurring relationship with WoW.

I main a feral druid. Rawr!

I can do resurrection and even a battle res.

But.. I can't save NPCs that die in front of me.