Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - (Full)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Doctor Malsyn

Re: Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - (Full)

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Hmm... Do you think Ericka could create an Arcane Trick that'd allow her to 'read' a book with a touch? Wouldn't be applicable to super dense material such as microfilm, but it could be handy in a pinch. Perhaps not overly useful as of the now, but maybe if we started getting into city missions somewhere where some espionage would be required.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Post by Gunmetal_Rainbow »

Doctor Malsyn wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 10:29 am Hmm... Do you think Ericka could create an Arcane Trick that'd allow her to 'read' a book with a touch? Wouldn't be applicable to super dense material such as microfilm, but it could be handy in a pinch. Perhaps not overly useful as of the now, but maybe if we started getting into city missions somewhere where some espionage would be required.
Certainly a good foundation for a trick. I think reading an entire book on a single touch is a bit much though. A few thoughts include a "Speed Reading" where she can touch a page and learn its contents, or maybe something like 10-15 pages. It would speed upreading significantly for certain, but the larger the book, the longer it would take. Another approach might be more of an "Object Reading" which could give her a general idea of the content in the book without the details, so she still needs to manually read it, but can find the information she needs much faster. I'd lean more towards the latter myself.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Object Reading could be a solid trick for more general use as well, perhaps giving a sense of who last touched an item or what it was used for. It seemed like an interesting twist of her 'natural' mind reading ability, though of course she'll probably develop completely different powers over time if the chance is there.
------------
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Yes. When you defeat akuma or corrupted enemies, you have a chance to get a new power or upgrade an existing one. But yeah, object reading does seem like a natural path for her to take.

You get an arcane trick each level if you want it, so you have opportunities to grab it without feeling like you're missing out.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Are new powers randomly rolled?
"Something pithy this way comes."
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Yes, but only from the corruption(s) of what you fought, and you can choose after the roll if you want that power, or want to upgrade an existing one.

So at worse you roll a power you don't want and one of your existing powers gets better.
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Time to fight a deceiver!!! At night time!

I'm giving you guys some free light sources though to help out because the caravan would have plenty of lanturns and fuel

I do want to give you guys some tips you should all recall from your training (And Dog might simply intuitively pick up on from his own experiences).

Deceivers are big and cant' turn on a sime, they are simply too large and heavy for that. Attacking from the front is foolish and like as not to get you literally eaten, and deeceivers heal when they consume flesh.

Deceivers may have weaknesses you can try to identify with a tier 3 (+1 per rank of the deceiver) anatomy test once. If you fail, you fail. But each person can try once.

I've added a map link to the opening post. I hope it works properly, but it should help you all with visualizing the battlefield.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Is it an action or free action or reaction to do the anatomy test?
"Something pithy this way comes."
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Flynnarrel wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:53 am Is it an action or free action or reaction to do the anatomy test?
No action. You just need to see what you are dealing with first, though you don't have to know exactly what it is.

Think of it like a Sherlock Holmes sort of dealie where you look at the creature and deduce the weakness.
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Whooo boy! Any problem with Moira having her gun in bear form and looking out while she sleeps in the Wielder's cart??
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

I presume we don't yet see the creature?
------------
Gunmetal_Rainbow

I don't mind the idea in principle to have your weapon keep watch while you sleep, but not when you already have it out as a mount all day as well. Dupes only last a short time as well, so not effective as sentries while you sleep.

The way I figure it, your bond is a living thing in it's animal form, so needs rest as well. It can get this rest just as simply in its weapon form with no detriment to the weapon's performance. I just don't feel having it in animal form 24/7 without it needing any rest seems in the spirit of things.

And yes, you cannot yet see the creature.
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Oh, and to elaborate on something I mentioned before, deceivers being large and cumbersome, unlike regular enemies, have arcs for front, back and each side. Some deceivers cannot effectively attack certain arcs. Some can attack all enemies within an arc simultaneously.

So you want to be wary when approaching one. :D
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Just to clarify, are you giving us a chance to have pre-battle prep or you waiting for someone to instigate combat?
------------
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Yep! A little pre battle prep if you've got any guild it's you want to/can use. Also if anyone wants to try for spot and or listen as you approach the boulders.