Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - (Full)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Re: Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - Recruiting

Post by Gunmetal_Rainbow »

There is no cap. You just need to cast it for each duplicate, which means a chance every casting of conjuring a haunt. Tricks ALL have a cast rating of 1 though, so the odds are low if you have a decent Cunning score.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Can you elaborate on haunt mechanics and their creation?
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Any time you use a power or trick, you rolling a Cunning test against a cast rating of the spell. The spell will awlways go off, so you never have to worry about that, however, for every 1 by which you fall short of the cast rating, a haunt is summoned of a type appropriate to the power being attempted.

Every 5 you miss the test by, instead of 5 haunts, you get 1 abomination instead. These manifest next to the weilder.

So if you miss by 6, you get 1 haunt and 1 abomination.

Haunts are impish little creatures that are more of a annoyance than a threat. They'll not attack a weilder unless literally cornered (like a rat), but they'll gleefully cause chaos and destruction. They will also try to stay in a certain proximity to the weilder that summoned them. It's a big reason regular folk dislike weilders. Ones that are less than responsible won't bother cleaning up their haunts, which just causes problems for others.

Abominations on the other hand are scary and will savagely attack everything around it when they are conjured and are a viable threat that can turn a bad situation into a worse one.
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

I guess the LMG fits more with the concept that, as a noble and scion of a defense engineering company, she'd have worked some of the latest stuff available.
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Vivid

Post by Vivid »

I was thinking about a slingshot as a back up weapon. They don't have the property Ammo 1 like crossbows do and the Ammo property is what seems to drive if something needs to be reloaded or not (specified in the Reload action too). Can a slingshot be fired every turn or is there still a fire/reload/fire sequence? Also, if a silver weapon is needed, Could Moira load a Silver coin into the slingshot and literally throw money at the problem? :)
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Bah, damn rich-folk. So frivolously showing off their wealth in front of us poor-folk... :lol:

Changed out Charm to Duplicate Weapon. Vivid might be going for it too, but, well, it's a very solid trick for Combat. Will give her kukri some good slashing power.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Vivid wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 4:03 am Also, if a silver weapon is needed, Could Moira load a Silver coin into the slingshot and literally throw money at the problem? :)
Completely viable strategy.

I'm going to need to figure out a way to post up equipment, armor and weapon costs. Well...I mean, it's not impossible to jsut type it up and post the information, but there's 100 weapons, a few dozen items and armors, and then there is the guild items....that's where the trouble kind of is. The names of the items aren't so simple to simply devine their use, so it'd be easier for everyone to be able to peruse the descriptions themselves.

Not to mention, the guild item system is a little different, since the items are free, but you are limited in how much equipment the guild will proide a hunter.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

And there are Guilds we can join for an additional Skill point, yes?
"Something pithy this way comes."
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Indeed. For those, it might be easier to explain the kind of guild your character might be drawn to and I'll figure it out from there.
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Okay, I pulled some pages into a PDF to cover guilds, the hunting houses, trades, guild items, and armor. I also manually listed the general item list (many of them either have obvious uses, or are primarily roleplay items with no mechanics attached)

Should be enough for anyone who didn't grab a copy of the PDF for themselves.

I think all that's left for most of you is picking a background, rolling for starting silver, and shopping. Right?
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Of note, we start off with 1 week dried/canned food, bedroll, canteen, common outfit then also get whatever our chosen background might give us (Like Arkrite's Criminal background or Moira's Aritocrat one).

Just as a suggestion, Sashura could possibly be Mercenary (Oil Lantern. 8oz. oil, Clotmoss, Compass, Cloth cape, Common outfit, Dagger, 9d6 x3 silver)
Ericka could be Academic (Nice Outfit, Tobacco Pipe, Average horse, 12d6 x3 silver) or even Aristocrat (Exquisite outfit, Tobacco Pipe, 12d6 x6 silver)
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Is there an Aid mechanic on skill checks? Some way to grant others or be granted an extra die for collaboration purposes?

Likewise, the Combination actions - Charge and Parry, if the weapon has Combo 2 or 3 do they pay more AT to take the additional attacks as part of the combination?
Gunmetal_Rainbow

None as written that I can find, though it feels like there should be. If assisting with a skill, you must have at least a rank in it and you'll give the primary person doing the check an extra die to roll for your assistance. I think that works.

You cannot use Combo as part of a Parry or Charge. I think I already mentioned it, but Combo is specifically for use with the Attack action.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Silver roll for career: 9D6 = [1, 5, 1, 3, 4, 1, 5, 3, 6] = 29
So 58 Silver.
Oi.
Going to put an updated info for my character in the post linked to on the first page.

Not sure what I'm going to do with only 58 silver, but I'm thinking an elixer would be a good idea...