Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - (Full)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Re: Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - (Full)

Post by Gunmetal_Rainbow »

Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:32 am Armor doesn't apply to the attack of a weakpoint. p.396 but it's not clear how much of that applies as injuries to the creature itself.
Ahh, you are right. However, attacking the weak spot is also done at disadvantage without using a free action to target and negate that disadvantage (and Lloyd used his using his guild item)....sooo...I think we end up with the vaelrat actually taking no damage. Unless I'm missing something else?
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

He charged, and his weapon has the charge property (normally advantage) to counteract the disadvantage.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Hope my interpretation of using petrifaction is viable. Viewing it less like direct transmutation, and more 'turning off' large sections of the targets body. Something to keep it in-line with her psychic themes.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Prof Weird

Post by Prof Weird »

Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:22 am And yes, Fertile grants the ability to move great distances, but you still have to use an Action token to 'Move', so a Move and Attack would still be a Charge costing 2 ATs. It also grants +1 die to Defend actions, but you still need to spend an AT to Defend.
Ah - I was wondering how that worked. Have a greatly increased Move, but still takes an action to utilize it.

So, Sashura's options are :

1) Use Charge and burn off BOTH her only ATs. Leaving her with nothing for defense if needed, or
2) Do something else. Have 1 or 2 ATs, but risk doing nothing of any relevance.

I'm gonna go with Option #1. Might get hit later; hopefully good armor and high Endurance (plus ability to Heal pretty much at need thanks to her weapon) might see her live yet another day ....
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Flynnarrel wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:42 am He charged, and his weapon has the charge property (normally advantage) to counteract the disadvantage.
Ahh, see, I did miss something, I forgot about the bayonet you attached. Frankly, I do think if you are using the charge trait in your attack, you should be doing so with the bayonet (thus piercing damage) since that is what is giving it charge. That having been said, you also have crush on this monstrosity of a weapon/tree. Try to remember to call that out when you have three successes. If you deal at least one injury while having at least three successes, you knock off an AT.

That's kind of a PSA for everyone; please remember to mention your traits that are in play for a given attack. It really helps me out.
Doctor Malsyn wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:07 pm Hope my interpretation of using petrifaction is viable. Viewing it less like direct transmutation, and more 'turning off' large sections of the targets body. Something to keep it in-line with her psychic themes.
I think you are getting ahead of yourself. We haven't gone to the deceiver's turn yet to come back around. ^^;
Prof Weird wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:36 pm I'm gonna go with Option #1. Might get hit later; hopefully good armor and high Endurance (plus ability to Heal pretty much at need thanks to her weapon) might see her live yet another day ....
You can also consider how many attackers it has to choose from as well. Though, there are plenty of attacks that target an entire arc of the deceiver, so being in a different arc than the others is viable to help mitigate that.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Ah right, I forgot the mildly confusing portions of this combat. I'll remove my last post
------------
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Yeah. This medium, I am finding, isn't completely ideal. I hope you're all still having fun at least. :)

Ultimately, Lloyd's crush knocking out it's last AT (It only had 3 to start) gave Sashura the opening to push in a monstrous amount of damage, undefended, all at once to finish it off. So the yolo paid off for sure.

And now the battle is over, I gave page 396 a read over for the future.

Targeting a deceiver's weakness is about damage, not injuries. What that means is, the number of injuries can still be reduced by Armor but the amount that would have been dealt (after defense, if any) is what is considered for whether the part is broken. So, good to know!

Ultimately, the difference would have been 1 injury less from Lloyd's attack, but Sashrua's attack still would have killed it, as it had 9 injuries and you guys would have dealt that much even if we reduce Lloyd's attack's injuries, so, well fought all the same!
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Regarding Doc's comment which was probably meant for here;

There's no hard rule on how long an enchantment or charm lasts. From the devs, it will last the battle, but since battles can be of varied length, but usually no more than a few minutes, holding it for a few minutes is reasonable. After that is fizzles. Or you can prematurely release it at your lesure.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

The last post read as being OOC, I just didn't notice that. Makin' all kinds of mistakes here, sorry.
------------
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Gunmetal_Rainbow wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:39 pm That's kind of a PSA for everyone; please remember to mention your traits that are in play for a given attack. It really helps me out.
Thank you. I forgot about Crush, but my IC post did mention Charge counteracting the weak-point targeting so I was partly there. :)
Weapons in Soulbound are weird.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Gunmetal_Rainbow

They are complex! And they get MORE complex the more you do to them :P
Gunmetal_Rainbow

So you guys do have the map which shows how to get the rest of the way to the Metalworks. Is that where you guys want to go next after letting the guard know about the vaelrat and the body?
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Works for me.
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Interestingly, I overlooked that there is in fact a grand bridge connecting Primium and Uhyre, which is what Sepulcur even exists for. Sepulcur was originally a town erected as homes for the workers of Morvan's Pass, the name of the grand bridge.

This created a little incontinuity in that "Why didn't Indius take the bridge, and instead go along that landbridge, which is significantly less safe?", and I'm going to say the answer is caravan tolls. And the reason you didn't take it the way back it because it'd have taken longer to cut through to it from the Uhyre side with forest in the way.

Whew, continuity restored! :D

Also, sorry things seem to have slowed down a bit. I do hope you all are still enjoying yourselves. Forum play is a bit slower than ideal for maximizing fun since you have to wait on people sometimes, but I'm still enjoying the game and happy to be running it for you lot.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

How exactly did the other see my work on the first? Thought stealing is undetectable with dart, and I certainly didn't fail casting with a haunt creation.
------------