Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - Ashes of Petram

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - Ashes of Petram

Post by Gunmetal_Rainbow »

It is a lovely day for travelling in the middle of summer. The sky is a brilliant cerulean with fluffy white clouds dotting the sky, promising short reprieves of shade from the oppressive summer sun, and if one were lucky, a light sprinkling of warm summer rain. Your individual travels have brought you to the continent of Primium, known by some as the Holy Land and birthplace of humanity. Protected by the Paladins of Prim, there are few safer places in the world.

In particular, you have all found your way through work or fate to the city of Terenium. Not the holy capital, but a commanding feature of this land in its own right. It's position near the center of the continent makes it a hub of sorts for goods coming and going from Primium, so often rife with traders and merchants seeking trade agreements to make a profit, and hunters interested in riding the coattails of such business endeavors to make a small profit of their own.

For those of you employed by a guild, each of your guild contacts has made you aware of a job that seems well suited to your rank and abilities. A trader by the name of Indius Conrad is looking to put together a caravan of traders to take goods out of Primium in export to the neighboring continent of Uhyre, and while Primium may be one of the safest lands, it still has its own fair share of danger, and Prim's Paladins cannot be everywhere at once. Indius is looking to hire a number of hunters, bond wielders in particular, to protect the caravan from whatever manner of threat it may encounter on the road, from highwaymen to wild beast to savage deceiver. Freelancers are also being interviewed and given a fair chance, even lacking the backing of a guild, instead asking for a simple demonstration of ability in lieu of a letter of introduction.

The pay includes a covered wagon to sleep in, daily rationed meals and coin to boot. He has offered 200 silver up front and 200 silver per week as a regular wage, with bonuses based on performance. The trip is intended to be a round one, travelling to Haihval in the northwest of Uhyre, exchanging exports for imports to then return to Terenium. It seems a simple enough job by all counts, and Indius himself, a simple man of average description and an obvious native of Primium by his fair complexion, seems more interested in the ability of bond wielders to protect what will become profit for him ultimately than the general stigma wielders face, even so willing as to hire guild novices and freelancers. That aside, Indius seems to be a fair man on appraisal, stern and disciplined, yet driven to the power of the almighty coin.

For any of you that check a map yourselves or ask, the journey, should there be no significant delays, would take about two months to get to Haihval, and two back. The contract you are offered only includes the first leg to Haihval with the option to renew for the return trip should your service be satisfactory and should you also wish to return with the caravan or leave to your own devices from there.
While you will each ultimately accept the contract, you do have some bargaining opportunity before sealing the deal as each of you meets personally to interview with Indius. Go ahead and roll a Bargain test with your opening post to see how well you negotiate, and include what exactly you would like to negotiate for, as that will ultimately determine how difficult the negotiation will be. Feel free to try for anything you think is within reason.

While this obviously won't be common knowledge to each other what was bargained, I expect everyone to refrain from metagaming.
After the contracts are signed, you are given a date to return in a few days, once the wagons are loaded and ready to depart, a task which you thankfully are not expected to contribute to. Your job is strictly security detail, and thus, a few days later, the convoy is prepared and milling about, waiting for all parties to arrive in order to set out. Indius is ever-present, swearing about something or another not meeting his expectations, though he doesn't exactly seem like he's in a fowl mood per se. This is simply the stern merchant trying to get things running smoothly.
Go ahead and introduce yourselves to each other while you have some time to mill about before the convoy moves out. There are also plenty of merchants around to talk to, a few tradesmen hired to care for the wagons and goods maintenance, and of course Indius himself, if you are brave enough to interrupt his seemingly endless tasks
Last edited by Gunmetal_Rainbow on Sun May 09, 2021 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flynnarrel

Re: Tales from the Trails (Soulbound) - First journey

Post by Flynnarrel »

Lloyd Millhaus

The woodsman mercenary listened to he deal and thought it a fair one. When he was told the caravan was gearing up and wasn't going to leave for a 'few' days he frowns though.

When he speaks his words are slow and deliberate. Each sound grows out of the next naturally. They ebb and flow like a grove that shares a common root system and each word is an off shoot tree. (For accent think Nordic/Swedish)
"All sounds good... I only ask that I be allowed to help load caravan instead of being idle next few days. Three days, yes? Let us say... 20 a day... 60 total. That good?"
Bargain(Cun): 5d6 5d6: 12 [5d6=1, 5, 1, 3, 2]
Edit: Thanks, I missed meals included.
Last edited by Flynnarrel on Sun Sep 20, 2020 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Ericka Akcire

She'd always wanted to travel, to go out and explore. Too much time spent cooped up in the Paladin's academy, far too many close calls, and not a shred of privacy to be had within her dorm. The order had ben so merciful as to grant her this opportunity, and she was determined to make the most of it. "Ah... Sir," The girl spoke, voice soft and her eyes shy. An air of innocence and delicate beauty surrounded her like a shroud as she did so. "My name is Erika Akcire. Within the order I became quite skilled as a combat medic, and while I may have a few supplies on hand, anything that you could spare I promise with all my heart to put them in good use keeping everyone in safe." ( 6 Success)

~Days later~

In complete contrast to the air she put on the other day while trying to procure extra medical supplies for the journey, today she was utterly insular, only once meeting her fellow Wielder's eyes with her own maroon. Her long black hair which complimented her fair Primish features was perfectly suited to keep her face hidden from view. Within her grieved hands was a book, and tucked underneath that was a knife she nervously toyed with, gaining comfort from it's presence. Her other weapon was a simple looking spear, hung just behind her shoulders within it's holster. Nothing about her seemed to speak strongly of her status as a dedicated warrior against the strange and arcane.

Mountingly it'd become clear that however adept at speech she may be, the young woman had no intention of striking up conversations any time soon.
Am I dead? Am I alive? The answer may surprise you!
------------
"What a week, huh?" "Doc, it's only Wednesday."
Gunmetal_Rainbow

I'm going to skip Flynn's to give him a chance to change his request for bargaining since food was mentioned as being included (if poorly) as the rationed meals. It mainly means food is provided, but you won't exactly be feasting nightly or anything like that and you're welcome to hunt for extra for yourself, or to share, or sell.

For Erika, hot damn with that 6 successes! But in the future, could you please include the whole roll in your post? I'm on my computer right now, but I may end up posting from my phone and checking links can be problematic.

For Erika though, a roll like that deserves some hefty perks. Indius will offer Erika an additional 50 silver per week to act as a medic in addition to security, though her security duties take priority if a conflict ever arrises for her time. She may have full access to the cavan's medical supplies for the purposes of patching people up, and she even may purchase supplies from the caravan at a modest 10% discount.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Grigor "Dog" Geddings
Wounds: 5/5

Dog just smiles at Indius when he makes the offer.
It wasn't that he didn't want more money. Everybody wanted more money. But he needed to build up a bit of a reputation before he'd be willing to throw his weight around. Especially at the moment when he showed up without guild backing, any of those fancy gadgets or training, and no armor to speak of.

So he showed off his weapons, gave a little demonstration to prove he wasn't just a guy with a fancy set of weapons, and even had a bit of a brawl with one of the other guards who felt he had something to prove. He wasn't sure if that was planned out ahead of time, the guy just had a chip on his shoulder, or he was hoping for a raise by knocking a wielder on his ass.

Either way it'd been a fun scuffle. Well, maybe more for himself than his opponent. And no weapons were pulled, so it wasn't likely to cause any grief with the constabulary.

Someday soon he'd be able demand more cash, but right now a few silver coins were good enough. Next time he'd have some armor to his name, some coin in his pocket, and a reputation to back him up.

As he watched the caravan try to get everything sorted and packed, he sat back and tried to deal with the conflicting feelings rolling through him. One one hand, he was happy he wasn't involved in the process. On the other, most of these new hands were so bad at the work that he felt the need to go and show them how to do it properly.

Glancing over at one of the other wielders he smiled when he saw the girl carrying the book, while playing with the blade that was obviously her bond.

"I approve," He says with a grin, "Always best to those those books who's boss."
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Moira Sterling's height was unimpressive at barely 5 feet. Her build, lithe and trim, might turn heads in a tavern but was not that of an imposing Wielder. At a youthful 17 her age would not command respect or even hint at wisdom if the glint of untempered confidence in her eye was any indication.
But she was a Sterling; From her mane of bright silver hair, (the hallmark of the Sterling family), left loose to fall over clothes that were expertly tailored for both comfort and functionality, to her poise, a purposeful gait brimming with vitality balanced with an approachability, to the gleaming hand-polished, machine-crafted steel automatic rifle slung across her back.
It was this rifle she set across the near edge of Indius's desk presumably because it was heavy but also so that he cannot look at her without the reminder of it in his view.
"Now, I'm not seeking special treatment." she says. "But much as your generous offers provides food for our bodies and the work itself provides nourishment for our souls, this lady..." she lays a hand on the oiled stock of the light machine gun between them, "can chew through three bullets in the span of a heartbeat and my magics ensure each hit is harder than the last. I ask only a full clip going out, though two would be better, these, of course, would be returned to you at the end of the journey. I will keep an accounting of any projectile that cycles through any of my weapons and I'll ask to be compensated for any and all above the ammunition provided. I'll also assure you that I'll NOT riddle every minor haunt we come across full of bullets though I know some of my peers just like the feel of causing such an explosion in their hands much like they are enamored with the sound of their own voices. No. But I'll not be held back in a time of need for fear of counting lead and balancing it against my day's wage. No one wants that. So, a starting clip or two and fair compensation upon completion is what I'm asking." She gestures, palms open.
"For this, what I offer is this - I'm planning to journal an accounting of my exploits. It will be an exciting retelling with pictures. Something to hopefully address the stigma that those in my profession face as well as inform folks further of the necessity and importance of the job. Oh, certainly there are the vaunted stories of the Paladins or the Raven Guard but this will be a more grassroots accounting, more relatable. At least, that's what I and my father think - he's already arranging the presses and I'll be turning in storyboard draft parcels at Guild Halls across the way for them to be couriered back to him. I tell you this to offer you the chance to control the narrative of yourself. Will you be the kind but fair negotiator that deals responsibly with the needs of both the caravan and those he employs? Or will you be... not that?" she says with careful deliberation.
"Such a thing would color the quality of Wielder that come to you for jobs in the future or even what class of merchant come to you for arrangement of protection. So please, consider my request." <Hoping the negotiation was such that I might get advantage on the bargain>.

"And, one more matter. Your offer was good for my services..." Lady Moira stands and heads to the office room door. "But what of his?" She opens it to reveal a massive black furred bear that's been sitting patiently.
The bear looks at Indius with sharp eyes and sniffs in his direction as if determining how tasty a meal he'd make. It's oiled fur was a shined black mottled with gun-metal grey throughout and its fangs and talons seemed wicked sharp. While normal black bears were on the smaller size for the species, this one seemed like it would need to squeeze through the door, though it's powerful muscles made no mistake that it could do so if it were so inclined. The totem was half an hour into it's existence. Moira had traveled to the outskirts as she loathed to potentially unleash haunts in populated areas. The duplicate was made and she invoked the transformation out of sight of the general populace; between the bear and her silver-loaded sling they made short work of any haunts that resulted. She had covered the bear with a tarp and leashed it having it trundle behind her and wait patiently for this reveal. "He comes with me. So if you feel my fair value is a little higher than the quoted sums, I'll understand." she smiles.
[_: 6D6 = [5, 4, 2, 6, 6, 5] = 28
4 successes, 5 with Advantage, if 6's DO reroll I can amend.]
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Ericka Akcire

"So long as it learns it's place," She lightly agreed with embarrassment being called out, stumbling a few times to sheath Gemini in it's holster. Normal people didn't just hold their weapons so freely, she reminded herself. Even then, though the blade was now sheathed her hand still did not leave it's handle.
------------
Gunmetal_Rainbow

For Lloyd, Indius will pay him a labourer wage if he wants to do labourer work while waiting for the caravan for leave. He'll give Lloyd 10 silver at most per day, which is a few coins more than a commoner laborer would make. 20 per day is a bit extravagant for 1 success on bargaining.

For Moira, he'll offer an advance on one or two full clips (Moira's choice on how much she wants to repay), which you should be easily able to pay off by the time you get to Haihval just on your base wage alone, with no interest if you pay back before reaching Haihval. Remember you can earn bonuses should opportunities arrive for a performance bonus. He's not really able to just give you bullets, but this way, you're free to use the bullets as you please, you just owe him 450 or 900 silver if you pay him back before reaching the end of the first leg of the trip. It's pretty generous. For a merchant.

Given the cost being dished out to front Moira some ammo to be paid back, getting more for her bond in bear form is a little too ambitious for the roll result, since he knows you wielders have bonds and weird powers, and he's hiring wielders at a general rate, not a custom one based on abilities.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Grigor "Dog" Geddings

Dog smiles, turning his attention back to the crowds moving around them.

His face bore a day or two's worth of unshaven stubble, his dark hair came down to his shoulder, and his dark pants and vest look like they'd seen better days, and his white shirt isn't much better. His weapons stand in stark contrast to his clothes. His short sword's guard is silver with a near mirror polish, with a gold chain circling the grip. His flintlock is similar, largely shining silver with gold accents.

"You look nervous," He says, leaning casually against a wall, "First trip?"
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Lloyd Millhaus

Lloyd accepts the chance to work and get to know the others on the caravan. He proves to be a strong and tireless worker. No great thinker, he is happy to do as directed.

The day of departure he finishes his loading/hauling duties and joins the other Wielders at their sleeping cart his few pieces of armor are buckled on over rough-spun clothing. His staff, looking like a fresh-hewn length of wood cut that morning (which would normally be too supple for an effective weapon), rests across his shoulders like a yoke giving the whole of him a bovine air. He smells of fresh forest. His reddish-brown hair and full beard are rough-cut and his knapsack is worn but sturdy. In contrast to his mottled hues, there is an armband of blood red that bears the insignia of the House of Battle.

He sees the others there but doesn't want to intrude on any conversations. He cuts an apple and offers some to the horse(s) hitched to the wagon pulling the guards. He'll use soothing words and gentle touch to make friends with the animal(s). Getting them used to his scent.

Calm(Cun): 5d6: 26 [5d6=4, 6, 4, 6, 6 26 Gah! where were you earlier?
Vivid

Post by Vivid »

Lady Moira Sterling

Riding a bear was great for the abs! The way they shifted side-to-side as they walked required a much different pelvic tilt than a horse. The heiress was enjoying the work-out! Still, Moira dismounted several paces before getting to the Hunter's cart. She had planned to introduce the horses to the concept of a 'friendly bear' and was going to ask someone to hold them steady when she saw a large woodsman already soothing the animals. "Perfect!" she says, "Keep the calm while they get the scent. If you would. I'll bring the bear around front into their field of vision and work on the prey-predator dynamic." Moira says, gesturing to the bear who obediently and slowly reveals himself to the horses, head down and claws curled under. "Good, good. Steady on. They'll never be bosom buddies, but maybe this'll keep them from bolting whenever the bear is around." she explains to the horseman.
"I'm Moira, by the way. House of Scouting." she says, noting his armband. "And this is.... I guess you can call him Bearrage Prime." she gestures to the bear who is very slowly approaching the horses with a pause after each step to let them calm down.
Moira adds her own soothing gestures and soft murmurs for the equines.
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Ericka Akcire

Seeing that she wasn't going to get much more reading in, she decided to try her best to be sociable and placed the journal inside her breast pocket. "I'm not nervous about the trip itself, there's just... Too many people around. Too many untethered thoughts..."

Attention drawn away form her book, she noticed the small commotion over by the horses. "Is... Is that a bear?" Spoke her, both confused and intrigued. Not enough to go investigate personally, but the idea was there.
------------
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Lloyd Millhaus

"För fan i helvete!" Lloyd gives a start at the sight of the forest beast, cursing in Uhyrish. He recovers quickly when he sees the beast is tame, or atleast, well controlled. Onlookers can see that the staff responded to his alarm by projecting a faintly glowing outline of the massive trunk of a tree along it's length. He resumes his gentling of the horses, his efforts redoubled now.

"I apologize... Was startled." He looks at the bear appraisingly. "Magnificent beast... Where I'm from, Bear is highest Caste... Greatest honor.... Much service to the people and land." He looks over the waif of a girl taking in her gleaming hair and noble posture. He nods.

"I am Lloyd Millhaus." He pats his staff with his free hand. "Heartwood."

Lloyd indicates the girl herself. "Where from?"
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Grigor "Dog" Geddings

"Can't rightly say. Never saw a bear before," Dog admits, "Big son of a gun, isn't it?"
Doctor Malsyn

Post by Doctor Malsyn »

Ericka Akcire

Pulling her hair to the side she took a better look at both the gun and the Wielded who called it over. More specifically, her ryes are drawn to her Bond. "I think it really is a 'son of a gun'. That must be one of her weapon Bonds."
------------