DEAD Waterdeep: Dragon Heist! (5th ed)- OOC

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
MacynSnow

Re: Waterdeep: Dragon Heist! (5th ed)- OOC

Post by MacynSnow »

Spectrum wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:17 pm What would a streetwise roll be? I have trouble calling it an intelligence check, but all the other know type abilities point that way.
I always used Insight when i GM, it just tends to fit the description better(and explains why Roguish types always have high Wisdom). Why you ask this oddly specific question for? ;)
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

Wisdom. It's like "urban" survival, assuming you mean "what do you do in these situations." If you are using streetwise for gather information, that's Investigation.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

MacynSnow wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:33 am
Spectrum wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:59 am Adding a bit to Yagra, her voice.

Also, I see her as rather comely, a very handsome woman that actively works against being fetishized.
Nice voice(fit's what you described), but you KNOW she's gonna be fetishized regardless right? ;)
Quick, DON'T think of purple elephants!
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Spectrum wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 4:00 pm
MacynSnow wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:33 am
Spectrum wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:59 am Adding a bit to Yagra, her voice.

Also, I see her as rather comely, a very handsome woman that actively works against being fetishized.
Nice voice(fit's what you described), but you KNOW she's gonna be fetishized regardless right? ;)
Quick, DON'T think of purple elephants!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Post by Gunmetal_Rainbow »

I'll probably try a silent image, mimicking it's mouth movements to Marco's shout. It won't do any kind of ventriloquism or anything, but I'm hoping maybe it will do.... Something? It's the best I've got on hand while getting closer.

I could try Sleep, but that could have negative rammications, and to my understanding, they are near the pit, so I wouldn't want anyone to accidentally fall in by passing out suddenly.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Gunmetal_Rainbow wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 6:15 pm I'll probably try a silent image, mimicking it's mouth movements to Marco's shout. It won't do any kind of ventriloquism or anything, but I'm hoping maybe it will do.... Something? It's the best I've got on hand while getting closer.

I could try Sleep, but that could have negative rammications, and to my understanding, they are near the pit, so I wouldn't want anyone to accidentally fall in by passing out suddenly.
If "Push comes to Shove", on my turn i could always use my Shield Master feat to move big mouth what started this mess right to the edge of the Pit(but not into). Maybe a bit of "Incentive for Non-violence" will help...
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Not exactly? If you read Spectrums post, it will take us 2 rounds to get close enough to physically get involved.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Gunmetal_Rainbow wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:44 pm Not exactly? If you read Spectrums post, it will take us 2 rounds to get close enough to physically get involved.
unless you get creative?
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Spectrum wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:45 pm
Gunmetal_Rainbow wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:44 pm Not exactly? If you read Spectrums post, it will take us 2 rounds to get close enough to physically get involved.
unless you get creative?
Thus my silent image plan!

In my head, anything creative we do to get closer faster will take at least a standard action, so even if we do that and get there, then we lack actions to actually do anything once we get there. Still fast than two rounds of movement before getting to intervene, but yeah. ^^;
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Part of the game mastering process is learning how to work with really odd decisions that the adventure writers made and figure out if those choices actually make any meaningful impact on the plot as a whole. :)
Gunmetal_Rainbow

That makes sense. The writers would have written the story without knowing what the players would be playing, so you'd have to arbitrate.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Thing is, if i'm "reading the room" right, your Silent Image SHOULD be enough to give us at least A turn of stalled violence...:)
Gunmetal_Rainbow

Depends on how they react to it, but yeah. And at the very least it'll maybe eat an attack while someone punches it in effectually. We shall see!

A smarter plan might have been make it look like a town guard, but Autumn is Autumn. :P
jmucchiello

Post by jmucchiello »

How big is this room? Is there a map?
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

No maps, in fact, not much of a description in the adventure. It's more of a set piece. However:

The Yawning Portal, a famous inn and tavern located near the eastern slope of Mount Waterdeep, derives its name from a 40-foot-diameter well that descends into the first level of Undermountain. Located in the center of the taproom, the well was once the outer shell of Halaster’s mighty tower, which was demolished long ago. Its sheer walls are made of old mortared stones. Next to this gaping orifice hangs a winch with a simple rope-and-pulley mechanism that Durnan, the proprietor, uses to lower adventurers down the shaft and (sometimes) pull them up again. Durnan controls the winch himself and will transport only one adventurer at a time. The trip takes 10 rounds, down and up. The rope is stained with old blood and long enough to reach all the way to the floor of the dark room at the bottom of the 140-foot shaft (level 1, area 1).

Durnan charges adventurers 1 gp each to descend into the well, whether they opt to use the rope or not. The return trip also costs a piece of gold, sent up in a bucket in advance. He also readily accepts coin from patrons who want to place grisly bets on adventurers who dare explore Undermountain, and their odds of returning alive. “Five gold dragons says they’re back before a tenday, minus the fighter, the wizard, and the cleric!” is the flavor of commentary often heard amid gales of drunken laughter.

The walls of the well are crumbly but have abundant handholds and footholds. They can be scaled without climbing gear with a successful DC 15 Strength (Athletics) check. No check is needed to enter Undermountain by using the rope-and-pulley system.