[IC] Screaming Metal Vagabonds: Chapter 1 -- The Cool Green Hills of Earth

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
RainOnTheSun

Re: [IC] Screaming Metal Vagabonds: Chapter 1 -- The Cool Green Hills of Earth

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Yenova
HP: 1
CND: Farangi?
Davies wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 7:10 pm "This should be dealt with first, I think," says the leader, lowering her cudgel.

"Are you insane?" snaps one of the soldiers with her. "Why would Atalante have a farang among her followers?"

"Plenty of us have farangi ancestors," the leader retorts. "If she's not lying, do you want to explain to Atalante that you hurt one of her friends from her own time?"

That thought clearly does not sit well with the objector -- these people do not hide their emotions very well -- but she's not giving up, either. "Why is Atalante called the Serpent-Souled?" she demands of you. "One of her followers from then should know this."
Whoops. Yenova is quiet for a second. Make up an answer and insist that their history is wrong? Act offended to be questioned? Run away and assume they'll chase her?

"I could tell you," Yenova says slowly. "But..."

The lights gather around Yenova's head and she freezes. Well, no choice now but to trust the others. She isn't happy about it, really--trust makes her feel weird. But she doesn't have a lot of options.

"But it's easier to show you," she finishes. She looks at the objector while the projection plays out. "Satisfied?" she asks.

She really hopes that projection was based on something.
Davies

Post by Davies »

The assembled soldiers watch the projection with some surprise, but they've all seen things like this before. However, some of them start to frown at the ending of the display.

"What? What was that?" asks the soldier who asked the question in the first place. "That makes no sense, she embraces the serpent for its cunning, and that makes it seem like the serpent was foolish to --"

"No," says the leader of the group, whose expression has gotten contemplative. "That's how the fable is supposed to go. These days, people who tell that story tend to end it with the serpent killing the frog. But my grandmother told me once ..." She trails off, turns to look at the hospital. "What have I been doing?" she mutters, mostly to herself. With a shake of her head, she turns back to her followers. "We're done here."

"What?" snaps the increasingly frazzled looking soldier. "What about --"

"I said we're done here," the commander repeats, and if she'd been starting to ease up a little, it's not obvious right now. Her glare quells any complaints the others have, and she leads them away from the hospital, offering a polite nod in Yenova's direction before they go. She's the subject of suspicious glares from the rest, but nobody tries anything.

They're gone by the time that that Pok', Wissen, and Trouble (carrying Najobe) descend to the ground. "That went better than I could have expected," Trouble says into the silence.
"I'm sorry. I love you. I'm not sorry I love you."
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Davies wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:47 am The assembled soldiers watch the projection with some surprise, but they've all seen things like this before. However, some of them start to frown at the ending of the display.

"What? What was that?" asks the soldier who asked the question in the first place. "That makes no sense, she embraces the serpent for its cunning, and that makes it seem like the serpent was foolish to --"

"No," says the leader of the group, whose expression has gotten contemplative. "That's how the fable is supposed to go. These days, people who tell that story tend to end it with the serpent killing the frog. But my grandmother told me once ..." She trails off, turns to look at the hospital. "What have I been doing?" she mutters, mostly to herself. With a shake of her head, she turns back to her followers. "We're done here."

"What?" snaps the increasingly frazzled looking soldier. "What about --"

"I said we're done here," the commander repeats, and if she'd been starting to ease up a little, it's not obvious right now. Her glare quells any complaints the others have, and she leads them away from the hospital, offering a polite nod in Yenova's direction before they go. She's the subject of suspicious glares from the rest, but nobody tries anything.

They're gone by the time that that Pok', Wissen, and Trouble (carrying Najobe) descend to the ground. "That went better than I could have expected," Trouble says into the silence.
WISSEN (TAXAUD)
HP-0 CND-Fine MODE-Medical(Switched from Combat)

With what passes for relief in his voice, Wissen states "Agreed, my friend, agreed.Well played you two, well played." his nanites reconfigure into his "Blue Beatles"(his Medical Configuration) as he look's at Dr.Skeplos he'll say
"i believe introduction's are in order Dr. I am Wissen, Medical & Science Officer; off to my right is Pok' ; to my left is my friend Trouble and our Guide Najobe. I believe you've already met Yenova and The Praxis. How can we help end this Madness?"
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

The Praxis
HP:1|CND: Fine
Scanners: Hearing Gains Extended 3, Vision gains Detect Health Status, Analytical,

"That was.... harrowing." Trent says over external speakers as the Praxis emerges from its hiding spot. "But well done Yenova for capturing their attention. I will go retrieve the injured."

The Praxis zips back up only to carefully tractor the injured back down.
"Something pithy this way comes."
Davies

Post by Davies »

As the injured Hesperans are brought down, the hospital's director glances back at the building. Very quickly, a group of Hesperans emerge from the hospital carrying litters; they put the injured on them and quickly carry them through the door into the hospital. There are more male Hesperans among this group than you've ever seen up until now.

While this is going on, Trouble approaches the doctor. "Director," she starts politely.

"Breaker," he replies without looking at her.

She's less than thrilled about that, but presses on. "Is Sharana here?"

"No," he answers, still focused on the disposition of the injured.

Trouble considers. "Would you tell me if she was?" she asks after a moment.

Now he turns to look at her, an exasperated expression on his face. "If I say yes, will you leave? Not leave the hospital, but leave the city?"

"No," she admits.

"Then no," he answers. "No, I would not. But she's not here. Is there anything else?" he asks in a way that makes it clear that he's about out of patience.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

The Praxis
Scanners: Hearing Gains Extended 3, Vision gains Detect Health Status, Analytical,

"You told me the Ocean hero is here, yes?" Trent asks. "Would his injuries allow us to speak with him?"

"Please, Sir, we're trying to help reach a resolution where the services of your hospital are not in such high demand."
Davies

Post by Davies »

Flynnarrel wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:30 pm "You told me the Ocean hero is here, yes?" Trent asks. "Would his injuries allow us to speak with him?"

"Please, Sir, we're trying to help reach a resolution where the services of your hospital are not in such high demand."
The Director takes a deep breath. When he speaks again, it's with much less rancor, as though he's just taken a moment to remind himself that he owes you a debt of gratitude. "When last I saw him, Nereus was sleeping off his injuries," he says. "If he hasn't woken up yet -- and I'd hope he hasn't -- then I'd be very reluctant to have him awakened by visitors. If you insist, I'll take you to him, but I'd advise against it."

Trouble clearly looks unhappy about this, but only shakes her head if anyone asks her whether they should contact Nereus.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

The Praxis

Trent relents. "We should probably let him rest but leave a message for him to contact us on standard frequencies should he wake."

"Director, we're interested in both finding Sharana and seeing the oracles. Might you have any advice that can help us on either goal? You know her best, where might she go? Or, the Oracles, how might we secure an audience?"
Davies

Post by Davies »

Praxis wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:43 am "Director, we're interested in both finding Sharana and seeing the oracles. Might you have any advice that can help us on either goal? You know her best, where might she go? Or, the Oracles, how might we secure an audience?"
"I'm fairly sure that she'd go directly to the Oracleion, to confront those ob -- ahem -- the Oracles," he says, breaking off in mid-sentence and coughing. "As to how to get through to them, I'm sad to say that your guess is as good as mine. I try to avoid their notice as much as I possibly can. But --" And then he stops talking and his eyes start glowing. So does everyone else's in the immediate area outside of the Praxis.

Everyone but the Crew of the Praxis: You are receiving a mental communication from Ashaka, and this time none of you can refuse. <All: I've just now received a communication from my mother. She's in the Oracleion and is asking for help. I cannot stress how much of a frightening thing that latter statement is. We are still pinned down at my location, but I am contacting every soldier still loyal to us to get them to clear a path to the Oracleion for you. Please, hurry there, whatever's going on must be a desperate situation.>

"We're going to the Oracleion, now," Trouble says as the light fades from everyone's eyes.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

The Praxis
Scanners: Sight gains Mental awareness, Acute, Analytical, Radius,
Sense Danger

"Red Alert! Increase elevation, scan for brainwave interference and mental assault. Automated ship systems set for potential crew compromise." Trent barks to his crew.
Klaxons sound from the PA system as the lights throughout the ship shift to reddish hues. All over the ship crewmembers get to battle positions with non-coms securing items in case of gravity system failures.
Trent himself sits firmly in his elevated chair as belts secure him in place and a 'master functions' panel places itself under his fingertips.
The hum of weapons systems powering to full is audible from the bulkheads and the *Cth-unk* of proton torpedoes being loaded into tubes echo throughout the lower decks.
"Sensors, Report!" he says redundantly as his own personal heads-up-display will relay everything of relevance into his field of view.

The Praxis drifts upwards about 10 feet, but otherwise there is no indication of the turmoil the ship is preparing for.
Davies wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:59 am "We're going to the Oracleion, now," Trouble says as the light fades from everyone's eyes.

"Is that what you advise, Trouble, or is that what you have been compelled to say?" Captain Trent's voice projects, a note of caution to it.
Davies

Post by Davies »

Trent wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:35 am
Trouble wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:59 am "We're going to the Oracleion, now," Trouble says as the light fades from everyone's eyes.
"Is that what you advise, Trouble, or is that what you have been compelled to say?" Captain Trent's voice projects, a note of caution to it.
"Advise," she answers, looking down the street that, according to the map you were shown, leads to the Oracleion. "Any compulsion I feel comes from within." She doesn't elaborate.

Your sensors do not detect any lingering mental influence on anyone present.
RainOnTheSun

Post by RainOnTheSun »

Yenova
HP: 1
CND: Relieved

Yenova sighs. "I never want to do that again," she says. Not that it was really any worse than any of the fighting, but she doesn't want to get a reputation as a good liar. No good liar does. "So now what? Do we--"
Davies wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:59 am Everyone but the Crew of the Praxis: You are receiving a mental communication from Ashaka, and this time none of you can refuse. <All: I've just now received a communication from my mother. She's in the Oracleion and is asking for help. I cannot stress how much of a frightening thing that latter statement is. We are still pinned down at my location, but I am contacting every soldier still loyal to us to get them to clear a path to the Oracleion for you. Please, hurry there, whatever's going on must be a desperate situation.>

"We're going to the Oracleion, now," Trouble says as the light fades from everyone's eyes.
"Oh! Well--okay! You're the boss!" And then she's off and jogging down the street.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Davies wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:59 am
Praxis wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:43 am "Director, we're interested in both finding Sharana and seeing the oracles. Might you have any advice that can help us on either goal? You know her best, where might she go? Or, the Oracles, how might we secure an audience?"
"I'm fairly sure that she'd go directly to the Oracleion, to confront those ob -- ahem -- the Oracles," he says, breaking off in mid-sentence and coughing. "As to how to get through to them, I'm sad to say that your guess is as good as mine. I try to avoid their notice as much as I possibly can. But --" And then he stops talking and his eyes start glowing. So does everyone else's in the immediate area outside of the Praxis.

Everyone but the Crew of the Praxis: You are receiving a mental communication from Ashaka, and this time none of you can refuse. <All: I've just now received a communication from my mother. She's in the Oracleion and is asking for help. I cannot stress how much of a frightening thing that latter statement is. We are still pinned down at my location, but I am contacting every soldier still loyal to us to get them to clear a path to the Oracleion for you. Please, hurry there, whatever's going on must be a desperate situation.>

WISSEN (TAXAUD?)
HP-0 CND-Fine MODE-Heavy Combat(Mech)

As Wissen was about to make a scathing remark about the nature of Prophecy, he recived the communication from Ashaka. Afterward, he say's to Trouble
"Agreed. And now's not the time for Subtlity. Director Skeplos, i suggest you get ready to reciv ALOT of patients....."
As Wissen's Colony form's his Heavy Combat Mech Suit, you'll notice it adding whst look's like Temporary "Bucket Seat's" and handles. His now very mechanical voice will come out of it...
"Everybody grab a Seat. Praxis, follow us as fast as you can..."
OOC:I'll switch to my HEAVY COMBAT MODE(Growth 7 :STR-7, STA-7, MASS-7/Size Rank=0:30 ft./Close Damage 7, Fortitude+7:14, Toughness+7:15/Intimidation +3/-3 Dodge & Parry) and try to pack as many of the team as i can there.
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

The Praxis
Scanners: Sight gains Extended 4
Sense Danger

"Stand down the Red Alert." Trent orders supplementing the verbal command with manual input on his master control panel. Emergency or not it was good for the crew to practice protocols.

He refrained from remarking that his starship could already be there when Wissen commented about them 'keeping up'.

The Praxis will continue it's rise until it can train long range scanners on the Oracleion to get a sense of what's goin on there. Trent will relay (over comms if need be) what they see to the others.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Pok'

Pok' shook her head just slightly. Then, without a word, or an instant's hesitation, she began to march in the direction of the Oracles...