2e PL 8 "the rookies" OOC.

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
kenseido

Re: 2e PL 8 "the rookies" OOC.

Post by kenseido »

Most of the players here will tell you the Dice Gods are never this generous to me. 19s and 20s generally come when I am rolling for villains on what I wanted to be a short, easy fight. Usually I am cursing them. They seem to enjoy that.

But I do recognize that I should also recognize when they are generous.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Can Danni tell if the detonator is an active one (That is, he has to push the button to send a detonation signal) or a deadman's switch (That is, it will go off if he STOPS pushing a button)?
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Do you have any sort of skill that might relate to that knowledge. Unfortunately the clacker the military often uses looks a lot like a dead man's switch.

I do appreciate that you have exceptional eyesight.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

One way of estimating that is to see whether he is firmly holding down a button or trigger. Super-Senses would help with that.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

She does have Disable Device which, as far as I can tell, would be the "disarm a bomb" skill for 2e- the expanded skills in Masterminds Manual includes a Demolitions skill bu that mostly seems to be creatinga nd placing explosives. By general thought would be that she had some basic EOD training during her military stint (since she is fairly dextrous and able to stay calm under pressure). It is more likely she has dealt with crude IED-type devices rather than "Professional" explosives, so her knowledge may be limited.

More in the moment: Is it a professional-looking detonator, or the insurgent-favorite modified cell-phone? Big red button or paddle switch? Does he have his finger actually on it (already under pressure), or hovering over, ready to push?

If a roll would help, here is a general d20 (If Disable device would work, that is +5, if it is a straight vision check that would be +13) 1d20= 4; roll https://orokos.com/roll/916698
(And her terrible dice luck continues)

>Part 2: On a separate note, I am apparently no longer able to access this site from work. Between that and continuing RL Stress, my posting amy be limited. I am trying very hard to stay on the boards, but I may end up having to step away for a bit.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Important stuff first...it would be a shame to lose you. I hope the issues resolve themselves.

Despite your excelkent eyesight it is impossible to tell whether it is armed or not. It does look like a professional clacker-style detonator meaning it squeezes shut to detonate OR it is a deadman's switch meaning if it has alteady been squeezed shut and hos hand opens it detonates.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Can't tell if he is holding it down currently, or waiting to push?

I'll get an IC post up shortly.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Yes, you can't tell if it has been squeezed or needs tobe squeezed.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

The stupidity of criminals never ceases to astound me. There is no chance those terms would ever be met by any law enforcement division. He basically said "Let us go so we can get safely away before blowing you all up."
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Poodle, if you feel a Sense Motive check is justified for the NPC, you can make one versus Douglas. He is being honest. Douglas is willing to let them go if it saves civilians. But not with weapons or a bomb they could turn around and kill people with.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Mexican standoff... if they put down the detonator you guys can just shoot them or use some wacky piwers on them. There is also the risk they aren't working alone.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Yes, but the longer he holds, the longer he risks us making a move. We will have no choice.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Right now, they are just facing us- if they wait (and it won't be long) they will be facing everybody Houston PD can throw at them. As it stands, if they take off now, we have to contain the scene and deal with the wounded (especially any wounded civilians, from gas or whatever)- we would pretty much have to let them go. But if they stay, the equation changes, and we would be able to attack/pursue.

Depends on how invested they are in taking these guys out right here, right now, versus trying again some other time.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Well, since we can't tell if it's a dead man's switch, that would suggest he is concealing it. Meaning it's probably not, which increases our odds of taking them without the explosive going off.

If it is a dead man's switch, he would have to be a total moron not to show us it is.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

When did Brandon charge for the explosives? I might have misread the last post by Kenseido.