The Rookies. The game is dead. Thanks.

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
pathfinderq1

Re: The Rookies. CHAPTER 1.'Are you special enough?"

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Danni Morgan

Danni paid attention as the other officers, her new teammates, asked their initial questions about the assignment. Working as a sharpshooter meant spending a lot of time observing after all, and the questions that they asked helped her get a feel for how they might operate- where their priorities were, how they approached a potentially dangerous situation, all that stuff...

Once the others had spoken, she asked a question of her own. "Are we interior security, inside the building or the courtroom? Or are we exterior perimeter?" So much of the assignment was going to be determined on scene, it seemed, based on what the cops already on site needed from them. It seemed like they were going to be inside, but that had its own considerations- among other things, if they were "in building" she was going to need a longer look at those blueprints. Her rifle treated most interior walls like paper, and after their initial lecture she did NOT want to risk putting a round through a civilian three rooms away...
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Seargent Norbett sighs, "of course you don't have to hide your powers. Use them within the law like your pistol and your tazer. Now get out of my sight. Don't crash the truck. As I said, you will be taking your orders from the officer in charge." He chucks Private Flannagan a set of keys.

The truck contains a lot of equipment, including extensive trauma supplies, the heavy vests, breaching equipment, fibre optics, observatiion drones. Fire arms are picked up from the armoury.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Brandon Warren
HP: 1, LP: 2; Condition: Fine

Brandon glares at Norbett. Either this man is completely incompetent - or he is trying to make them fail.

After asking for questions twice, he still left FIVE questions completely unanswered.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Douglas Reach
HP: 1
CND: Fine

After the Sergeant left the room Douglas picked up his half eaten carrot stick and tossed it into his mouth. Rapidly the vegetable was chewed up and swallowed. Then he got to his feet and looked from one of his new teammates to the next. Norbett had been real loose with his directions, so Douglas didn't feel bad trying to add some structure.

"When we arrive on scene, I don't see why Danni can't set up her overwatch right away. I'd feel better if we had a good sense of the area. With our own eyes. Not second hand information. Brandon and Conner, if you two want to do a quick patrol, I can check in with the officer in charge of security and see where they think they need help. We can figure out the rest from there. Sound good?"
OOC wrote:I'm going to take 10 on a Knowledge Tactics check, for a total of 25, in the hopes that gets me some answers. Where does it appear would be good places for someone to attack the people being prosecuted ... and what are good entry/exit points for such an assault?

If Douglas can spot a good overwatch position for Danni with Tactics, I'd like for Douglas to be able to offer her a suggestion.

While we're in route, Douglas is going to use make some phone calls and use Gather Information, along with Contacts, to try to get an idea of who might be gunning for these allegedly corrupt cops. I want to know that, so that I have an idea of their MO when silencing people. Here is the roll: Gather Information: 1D20+6 = [13]+6 = 19
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Brandon Warren
HP: 1; LP: 2, Condition: Fine

Brandon's mood improved immediately when Douglas reveals his ideas. If Norbett wants them to fail, better he doesn't know what's going on.

"That sounds smart." He looks over the group carefully. Nobody really knows what any of the others can do.

"It might be helpful to know my abilities are magical in nature. One of them includes the ability to see hidden objects, even beyond natural concealment."

If felt risky telling them this. Dad always said to keep his abilities secret. But this seems important.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Tactically there are several weak points. Fire exits are a quick ingress onto the building, avoiding metal detectors.
Given a choice though, you would just hit the truck, that transports the defendants with a LAW on the way there. If you wanted discrete you would bribe someone to poison them.
The courtroom is the least likely place to hit them, too many guards and metal detectors to get past.

You know MS13 control most of the drug trade. They like their statements to be big, bloody and brutal. Yakuza and the Triads tend to be more discrete using high quality assassins unless they are fighting each other. As for the other players like Mafia or local organisations they are a bit harder to predict.
Last edited by Poodle on Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Conner Flannagan

"I can get some eyes in places with the help of friendly birds, dogs, or other animals. Some of the birds can be pretty mean, but most don't mind helping with the promise of some bird seed later. Rats love their cheese. Food is a pretty powerful motivator for most. Might even be able to borrow the sense of one of them for a bit to help with patrolling the area. Guess I should introduce what I can do really. In addition to talking with and taking over animals, I can move a little faster than most, jump pretty far, and pack quite the punch.", remarks Conner. He didn't like so many open questions, but maybe this was all a test.

At the van, Conner looked at the others. "So anyone feel like driving?", inquired Conner.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Danni Morgan

"I can drive, if nobody else wants to," Danni volunteered after listening for a bit. "But I have to stop at the armoury first, and sign out the Beast. As to what I can do, well, mostly I just shoot things, or people that need to get shot. Even some people that you wouldn't think could get shot. That's really about it- I mean I have pretty sharp eyes, and what my patrol sergeant called "Solid all-around relevant skills" most of them from the Army. If they hadn't put this team together I would have been working on Selection for the regular SWAT team in a year or two. But here we are. I guess we better get moving- I want to see this place for real, not just pictures. That will help us answer some of these questions for ourselves..." And with that, she turned to head for the door- first to the armoury, then to motor pool. (Though she will slow-walk it if the others don't seem to be following)
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Brandon Warren
HP: 1, LP: 2, Condition: Fine

"I can drive if you need to prep or anything. As long as we don't need to do anything crazy. I only passed the Academy driving test with an average score."

Well slightly above average, but that's good for having never driven a car before entering the Academy. Edwin really helped out with that.

He also isn't really sure how to judge something like that. How do people judge their driving skills?
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Douglas Reach

Douglas' grey-green eyes swung from one person to the next as they gave a rundown of their skillset. Things that stood apart from the norm. His response to Brandon's question was likely to seem underwhelming compared to magic, talking to animals, and being a super-sniper.

"Nothing flashy here. I'm intuitive about certain things though. Such as getting a read on potential ambushes."

After that Douglas picked up his container of vegetable, put the top on, and started for the door. While Douglas could drive competently, he was content to let Danni and Brandon short out who took the wheel. He'd likely e distracted during the drive anyway. Other than that one small thing, things seemed sorted. As he walked he gave some advanced warning of his intent.

"See you at the van. I need to make a few calls while we're en route. Want to try to get a better idea of who might be gunning for the defendants."
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

OOC.. due to the level of tactical training SWAT teams get you are given a lot of autonomy. If a beat cop who outranks you gives you an order you still have to obey it. Generally they won't because if it goes sideways they will absolutely be torn a new one. For serious stuff, hostages etc you will have your own ranking officers on site.

Notably SWAT don't worry with ranking in squads too much. There will be a team leader but they may be the same rank as everybody else.
Consider yourselves all private first class.

This is really a shake out mission to see who has the leadetship potential.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

You arrive at the court house. It is an enormous concrete block with one access for civilians. You drive to the back. A roller door, overwatched by cameras, leads to an underground garage. There is a swipe card slot and an intercom. You have been told the drill. One person gets out, talks into the intercom. They verify who you are and in you go.
Once through that door you are in a well-lit underground garage. There are spaces for HCF (Houston Correctional Facility) closest to the prisoner ingress. You notice automated bollards inside the solid looking roller door. The design of pillars makes crashing a vehicle in difficult at best. There is also a pedestrian fire exit at the far end of the parking garage. The parking garage is the entire length of the courthouse but only half the width you would estimate.

There a currently several Houston PD vehicles, several anonymous looking sedans, and one HCF prisoner mover van.

There is only one door allowing access into the court building on this level. It has the camera and swipe card system here as well. You are let through. There is a short length of corridor with a standard airport style doorframe metal detector and conveyor and scanner for your gear.
There is a booth with reflective glass watching over the operation.

Several court security officers wave you through after you identify yourselves. A door on the left is marked "processing". It is solid metal. At the end of the corridor straight ahead is a door marked "courts" and to your right is a door marked "operations". Along the corridor are interview booths. You are directed to the door marked operations. When you go through you are greeted by the smell of coffee and doughnutts. You are in a large room. A white board has been set up. A few guys in suits and ties are in a corner talking quietly.
A relaxed looking lieutenant is sitting back drinking coffee. His name badge says Powell. He is a bald, somewhat rosy officer, carrying far more weight than he should. He is chatting to a serious looking black female seargent. Her name badge reads Grant.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Conner Flannagan

Conner wasn't shocked at the security. He wanted to get out, check the perimeter, and maybe bribe a few local animals with treats to let him know if anything seems out of the ordinary. That could wait for the check in now though. "Looks like we are late to the party.", quips Conner to his teammates. He walks over to the lieutenant and gives a nod waiting for a natural break to make an introduction. Once it seems like its appropriate, Conner speaks with the proper tone for rank differences. "Private Conner and the SWAT support here sir.", says Conner indicating his teammates.

He wasn't eager to get into a long conversation. He hoped someone else would step up to deal with the man so he could make rounds of the building and maybe ask a few strays or birds if any suspicious activity to them had been going on. Animals were simple, but they were observant.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Brandon Warren
HP: 1, LP: 2; Condition: Fine

Brandon stays near the back, letting the others deal with the bureaucracy. Instead, he stands by the door looking around. His eyes take on an unearthly shade of blue as he scans aura of the people involved and looking for anything hidden.
Using Detect Auras to enhanced Sense Motive
Detect Auras Notice check: 1d20+8 13
Sense Motive: 1d20+8 9
Well that gets the first of many of those out of the way.
True Sight Notice check: 1d20+8 22
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Douglas Reach

Douglas followed up Conner's introduction, pointing to each person as he ran through the names for the benefit of the Lieutenant and Sergeant.

".... Douglas, Danni, and that's Brandon."

There wasn't much of a pause before he pressed on. No one on the SWAT team seemed like they wanted to deal with these two, and the crap shoot this court case was going to be. So he tried to shield them from that by immediately interjecting the team's desire to make their own assessment of the situation.

"If you don't mind Danni is going to set up outside and Brandon and Conner are going to do a sweep of the area. You can coordinate with the team through me."