The Rookies. The game is dead. Thanks.

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Poodle

The Rookies. The game is dead. Thanks.

Post by Poodle »

Houston, shining jewel of Texas. home to culture, art, and glamour. Under it's shining facade crime stats will tell you it is also one of the most violent cities in America.

Texas has always been a state that valued Law and Order. A new budget has allowed the police force to expand it's roster, including it's SWAT teams.

That means you guys... you aced the screening programmes and testing. So here you are Delta Squad, so new your boots still squeak.

You are in the Houston Central Police Station. You are in a big meeting room in the SWAT annex. The annex has a rec room and cooking facilities. There is a cafeteria in the main station. You share a gym and a motor pool with the rest of the station. You have your own armoury, and tacops training facility. Basically a big reinforced concrete warehouse that you can configure for scenarios or put up targets.
Last edited by Poodle on Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
mrdent12

Re: The Rookies. CHAPTER 1.'Are you special enough?"

Post by mrdent12 »

Conner Flannagan
HP: 1
CND: Fine

Conner felt a bit uncomfortable in such proper clothing. Before his SWAT career, he worked with dogs which didn't lend itself to cleaner uniforms. While training, he was exerting quite a bit of effort despite his recently empowered state. That too didn't mean snappier dress. Showing up in squeaky clean boots felt a bit off. Part of how it goes though.

He didn't vocalize it, but he missed having Ralph with him. For a dog, Ralph made surprisingly interesting conversation about best place to hide bones or where the good food was. Ralph could go on for hours more excited than anyone ever on the nuances of fetch. Ever since getting his powers, being around people has been weird. Conversations were still fun with people, but they lacked the simple joy of a dog or bossiness of a cat.

Looking about the room, Conner pulled up a seat in the meeting room and pulled out his notepad and pen ready to get going. Newly minted Delta squad ready to go.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Brandon Warren
HP:1, LP: 2; Condition: Fine

Brandon stood in the corner feeling very uncomfortable. Barely out of the academy, he didn't really know how to act around other cops yet, much yet an elite force of them. How had he ever let Edwin talk him into this?

He had stood outside this place for almost 20 minutes. Everybody on the force, from his training officer to the testers, even Edwin - yeah that was still weird, he's still Officer Garris in so many way - said he belonged here. If Edwin hadn't come along to push him inside, he might still be out there.

Sure, he was more than descent with his magical abilities - he was raised with them after all. And beside that, Dad was a good teacher. But this was supposed to be about being a police officer. Edwin didn't need special abilities to be the finest police officer Brandon knew.

Edwin's words rang through his head again. "You will save a lot of your fellow officers' lives by doing this. There are far too many dangers out in the world; dangers greater than even I could handle. It makes me feel safer knowing you are out there taking them on."

Even his father would agree this was a better use of his abilities than as a "beat cop". Although, frankly, a "beat cop" saved Brandon from going down a very dark path.

He looks at his fellow Delta squad members sitting around the table and finally moves over to the table.

"Brandon Warren," he says, introducing himself to the others as he sits.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Douglas Reach

SNAP! Crunch. Crunch. Crunch. Came the sound of Douglas biting into a carrot stick, then chewing. He leaned back in his chair, facing the center of the table. In front of him was a plastic container with some carrots and radishes. The young man looked comfortable in his new uniform, and his posture was relaxed as he leaned back in his chair. There was no slouch or idle lounging, just a sense of calm confidence. When Brandon came over to the table and introduced himself Douglas raised his half eaten carrot stick in a greeting. Then he pushed the plastic container of vegetables towards the center of the table where others could each it if they were inclined to partake.

"Douglas. I missed breakfast. Help yourselves."
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Danni Morgan

Today was the big day, the first full meeting of the new team- and Danni was already running late. She had pulled into the parking lot of the Central Station down on Reissner right on time, grabbed a bottle of orange juice from the cafeteria (the last thing a sharpshooter needed was caffeine jitters from too much coffee)- and had then gone on autopilot right to her old locker in the Patrol section...

It didn't take her long to work her way back over to the SWAT annex- just long enough. She paused for a momemnt just outside the door of the team meeting room and squared her shoulders. Growing up as a military brat, she had learned early on how to step into a new social setting. This was no different- except that it totally was...

Fianlly she stepped forward, pushing through the door and into the room. She swept the space with a trained gaze- not assessing threats, just taking stock. As she had expected, she was the last one to arrive. She headed over to where the others were gathered- she had seen them before, of course, either as part of the selection process or just around the station- but this was different.

"Hey guys, sorry I'm late," she started. "I'm Danni." Despite her late arrival, and apologetic introduction, she didn't seem worried or upset- in fact, she was almost eeriely calm...
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Brandon Warren
HP: 1, LP: 2; Condition: Fine

Brandon looks at the food being offered by Douglas. His stomach was feeling a bit wonky, and maybe some food would settle it. He grabs a carrot and begins nibbling nervously on it.

"Thanks.

He has felt this way twice before. The first time was when Dad told him to wait outside that haunted mansion in Albuquerque and monsters started popping out. It was the first time he fought anything on his own. The second was his first day of school. Having spent 16 years being "home-schooled" by Dad, he had no idea at all what public schools were like. The foster parents were actually nice, but their advice to "Be yourself" was definitely not a good idea.

In both cases, he quickly found his footing and did well. This feel different. These people were experienced police officers. He was barely out of his training period - and that was rushed a bit. After the incident at the house, he was sent in to testing and eyes went wide when they saw what he could do. They finished up his probationary period very quickly because they wanted him on this team.

Brandon quickly realizes he is hunched over and closing himself off. He shifts his weight and leans against the back of the chair, relaxing his shoulders, and casually grabbing another carrot.

"So, where is everybody from?"

He may not be an experienced police officer, but he did at least know how to make friends.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

After about 20 mins a fit looking hispanic officer in his late 40's comes in with another officer, a grizzled looking older officer.
The first officer steps up in front of a projection board at one end of the room and starts to speak.
"Welcome to Houston Special Weapins and Tactics. I am Lieutenant Alvarez and this is Seargent Norbett. I always like to meet the new teams on their first day, to see that potential. To know the outstanding reputation of this department is in good hands.

You may have become aware that not all departments have our shining reputation.The Houston Chronicle is happy to point out when mistakes are made but struggles to acknowledge when we do a good job. Get used to it. It just means that we need to be better.

This brings us to you. A new team, clean slate, ready to rock and roll. Houston PD has a reputation for being casual about the rules. Looking the other way from time to time. NOT IN MY GODAMM UNIT. Do I make myself clear? If you make a mistake I will move heaven and earth to help you. If I find out you are crooked I will bury you using any means at my disposal.
Are we clear?

He smiles warmly at you. "Fortunately that will never happen with you. Now let me introduce you to Seargent Norbett. He has the disposition of a rabid dog with haemorrhoids on a good day, about 100 years of experience and has seen and done everything it is possible for a SWAT officer to do. Treat his every word like the gem it truly is.
I say again, welcome aboard. Don't let me down."

Lieutenant Alvarez salutes you then leaves the room.

Seargent Norbett pulls in a chair and sits down by you. He is a chunky man with a flat top haircut. He looks you over. "That is a damm fine officer. I will take it as a personal insult if any of you do ANYTHING that damages the reputation of him and this unit. Enough about that though.

You are the newest squad. That means you get the shit details. You'll cope. If you are here to be glamorous heroes you are shit out of luck. In a perfect world if you do your job right no one will know. If you fuck up everyone will know and you will be labelled psycho, racist or worse. This job destroys marriages, mental health. Even your lived ones will never be able to understand the worst shit you see. 1 in 10 SWAT officers eat a bullet from their own gun. 25% end up with a permanent disability. The pay is for shit and most insurance companies will not want to cover you.

Still think you made the right choice? On the plus side... I forget what the plus side is. Welcome aboard. Don't die today. Any questions?
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Brandon Warren
HP: 1; LP: 2, Condition: Fine

Brandon remains calm during both men's monologues. They were impressively scary, but not fear demon scary. Normally, he would be critical of leaders using intimidation to motivate, but these guys are clearly under a lot of pressure. The press, the public, the Feds all screaming at them while trying to give them an anal probe.

The press are all about blowing up any story into 100x more than it is to get an extra half point of ratings. The Feds are being pushed by politicians whose whole lives are driven by polls that tell them what voters think of them.

The public... well they are just scared. Police are supposed to protect them, so they don't know what to do.

"Yeah, I have a question. I only made this squad for one reason, so I am wondering how common knowledge it is outside of the force, and if it's not, how important is it to keep it that way?"
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Douglas Reach

When Danni entered and introduced herself Douglas raised a hand to about chest height, palm facing her. It was a sort of no-quite-wave. A gesture made with minimal movement meant to convey acknowledgement or greetings. His mouth open, poised to say something in response to Brandon's question, but before he could the two senior officers entered meeting room and he closed his mouth. Snacking was put on hold when they started speaking, his half eaten carrot being set down in front of himself on the table.

The front half of the dialog from each man was the expected splash of cold water to the face to get newer officers in the right frame of mind. Douglas nodded in acknowledgement of what was said and remained respectfully silent until they were invited to ask questions. After Brandon's question had been addressed Douglas posed one of his own.

"Is there anything on the schedule today that we should prep for?"
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Conner Flannagan

Right before the two men walked into the briefing room, Conner gave a quick introduction. "Officer Conner Flannagan. Or just Conner if you want.", he says casually shaking his head respectfully when offered the food. Ralph always went on about the virtues of breakfast. Dog wouldn't let him leave the house without a good one, with plenty of extras for him of course.

Conner expected as much from the two officers. The department was under scrutiny. They were super powered people or he was at least, so with great power comes great scrutiny. In some ways, the officers spiel was reminiscent of how new dogs greet other dogs. Sound tough, look big, assert authority, and show dominance. Before, Conner just saw the movements. Now he heard it like words almost in his head. Other species like birds did it to a degree, but given his old job and Ralphs love of the dog park Conner was exposed to dogs more.

"I almost died already in the line of duty. I don't intend to repeat that. Are we under special protocols unique to our abilities?", inquires Conner.
pathfinderq1

Post by pathfinderq1 »

Danni Morgan

For those who hadn't guessed that she had a military background, the arrival of command personnel made it very clear. Even as Alvarez and Norbett stepped into the room, Danni snapped quickly into an Attention pose, then just as quickly into Parade Rest. She had been in very similar situations before, even since her father's lectures when she was just a kid. She listened attentively, and punctuated each point that they made with a "Sir, yes sir"- not the shouted bark of a Marine, but a sharp, confident (and volume appropriate to the room) snap.

When Alvarez left, she returned his salute with crisp precision- but as soon as he was gone she visibly relaxed with only the Sergeant to deal with. It was not relaxed as a lazy slouch, but the wary relaxation of a predator cat, waiting for prey to arrive. It didn't help that Norbett reminded her of her own father, right down to the haircut...

She listened to the sergeant's words, then to the questions of each of her teammates in turn. All of this was pretty much what she had expected- she had heard similar speeches at Basic, at AIT, in half-a-dozen hotspots across the world. And well, she had been here in Houston for a while, had seen first hand some of the attention that the department was receiving- and what she had missed, her father had reminded her of on her most recent visit home, and through press clippings he had sent along. And, well, she was a woman in a combat-oriented role- even in the "enlightened" modern military and police force environments, she was used to twice as much BS and ten times as much scrutiny as male operators. Luckily, pressure didn't bother her much, and never had.

When her turn cam, she simply shook her head. "Sir, no questions sir, not at this time." Half of the 'sir' here was respect, half of it was to see if Norbett gave the same response most sergeants would.
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Seargent Norbett looks at Brandon with disdain. " You are only here for one reason huh? Just what is that reason? If you don"t think you earned a spot on the team, fuck off..It's your job to convince me you belong here. I am not gonna blow smoke up your ass telling you how special you are."

He turns to Danni. "At ease, Private Morgan. If you salute me out there you might get me shot and I am tired of being shot. On today's roster you will be stationed at the court house. The indictment trial is still going on and there are concerns that if the officers were crooked that someone might want to shut them up. Private Warren, you will be on overwatch. The rest of you are on guard duty. Your role is to back up the beat cops if it goes sideways. You'll be in your blues with an undercover vest on (ooc toughness 3, subtle). Apart from private Morgan, standard issue sidearms only (ooc and your standard belt load up). Stow your other weapons in the vehicle."

He punches up a map on the projector screen showing the basic lay out and goes through overwatch positions and where the cordons are.There will be officers on sight. You will follow their instructions. Questions?"
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Brandon Warren
HP:1, LP:2, Condition: Fine

Brandon's friendly expression turns to a frown. This man was going to be tiring.

"Yes, I would like an answer to my original question. Do I have to hide my abilities?"
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

Douglas Reach

Douglas ques onto key words and phrases: Guard Duty. Support. Back up. Follow instructions of beat cops. Apparently SWAT wasn't the promotion he expected it to be. So much for 'elite paramilitary unit'. His morale took a hit when he learned that despite serving seven years on the the force and making it into SWAT, he was going to be treated like a rookie. That wasn't going to fly.

For the time being he put indignation aside and focused on the briefing. Green-gray eyes hovered over the layout of the courthouse projected onto the wall. Mentally he noted the cordoned areas, and compared them to the potential entry and exit point into and out of the building. Not just around the courtroom that would be in use for the corruption hearings.

"Are there any reliable suspicions of who might want to shut these people up if the allegations of corruption are true?"

A pause was given to allow Norbett time to respond before Douglas asked another question.

"Do we know the planned chain of custody for the prisoners from transport to the time they reach the courtroom and the route they are expected to take?"
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Conner Flannagan

Keep watch, no proper gear, and follow orders. Didn't sound like SWAT to Conner, but maybe there were leaving out the bit where everyone in the group had powers of some sort. Conner knew from testing that he could hit as hard as a shot gun and even harder if he didn't aim so much. Combined with his speed and jumping, i wasn't as if attackers could stay away far enough to avoid being clobbered.

"Are you going ot be our unit commander on the ground or is that going to be one of the beat cops?", inquired Conner.