For all of your Play-By-Post games.
kenseido

Re: AEGIS Squad, Region 2 (OOC)

Post by kenseido »

Yeah that's fine
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Just looking for an opportunity to say "Luke.. it was your father..." in classic Vader style. :)
"Something pithy this way comes."
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

Spoilers!!!!
Supernaturalist

Post by Supernaturalist »

I have a question on the Teleportation ritual requested of Madame Macabre.

I've looked over the Hero's Handbook about Rituals. As far as I can tabulate, the Teleportation ritual would cost 8 power points. Rank 4 Teleport [Extra: Extended, Increased Mass 4 ; Flaw: Extended Only] (8pp)

This would allow Elizabeth to teleport 5 extra people using an Extended Teleport up to a distance of 16 miles, if my calculation is correct.

If I don't "Jury-Rig" the Ritual, then I'll have to do 32 hours of research. The actual ritual will only take 1 hour and 20 minutes. I'm assuming that upon completion of the ritual, the Teleport is "primed" and ready to be activated by some sort of verbal and/or somatic action.

I could "Jury-rig" the Ritual, but that would force me to make a DC 23 (15+8) in order to successfully activate it. Since my Expertise: Magic is only a +11 bonus, that would gove me a better than 50% chance of failing, again if I understand things correctly.

I just want to make sure I understand before Madame MAcabre makes an IC post.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

The ritual is basically good for one scene, so that would work.

For a standard ritual, there would be 2 DC18 checks. For jury rigged, it would be 1 DC23 check.

Presumably, you could be working on that while the others are setting up the site.
Supernaturalist

Madame Macabre will start woring on the standard ritual. She only has 1 HP, she would have to spend it to bypass the research phase of the "Jury-Rig", correct? That would leave her nothing to "insure" a rather risky DC 23 check. I'll get up an IC post a little later.
mrdent12

Post by mrdent12 »

If it was a given, it would be boring.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Supernaturalist wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:58 pmMadame Macabre will start woring on the standard ritual. She only has 1 HP, she would have to spend it to bypass the research phase of the "Jury-Rig", correct? That would leave her nothing to "insure" a rather risky DC 23 check. I'll get up an IC post a little later.
For the record, power stunting would be better than jury-rigging, unless you want to have your array active on some other power while you teleport.
Supernaturalist

kenseido wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:18 pm
Supernaturalist wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 2:58 pmMadame Macabre will start woring on the standard ritual. She only has 1 HP, she would have to spend it to bypass the research phase of the "Jury-Rig", correct? That would leave her nothing to "insure" a rather risky DC 23 check. I'll get up an IC post a little later.
For the record, power stunting would be better than jury-rigging, unless you want to have your array active on some other power while you teleport.
Would that leave me fatigued after the teleport? I mean...it's possible that I'll fail one of the two checks (and have to spend an HP anyway), but I could succeed and not have to spend one at all.

Are we expecting a potnetial fight when we teleport back? If so, I might not want to start the struggled fatigued. and having to spend an HP to get rid of it.

Hopefully I'm underatanding the whole plan. If not, I apologize.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Yes it would leave you Fatigued. But you can counter that with the HP you would spend on jury-rigging. Also, it's a guaranteed success and you get the full array points.

Also, Fatigued in 3e is not very limiting. Pretty much only -1 rank on Speed. Also, Fatigued can be countered by Leadership.

And for the record, my position on countering Fatigue with Leadership is you counter 1 rank of Fatigue. So if a person is Exhausted, Leadership can be used to counter 1 rank, and the person would be Fatigued.

Ritual is good for throwing up stuff outside your area of expertise or for characters without an Magic power. So for example, if Madame Macabre wanted to do something with Light Magic, then she would need a ritual as it is outside of the descriptor of her array.

As for the potential fight, you are hoping to catch someone trying to gain access to your HQ.
Sakuro

Post by Sakuro »

I am willing to use Evelyn's Leadership Advantage to counter Madame Macabre's Fatigued if you decide you want to go the Power Stunt route. Using Leadership to enable others to do more Power Stunting is why Leadership is my favorite Advantage. I tend to make a point of saving HP for that purpose.

Elizabeth could still shoot for the Ritual first. If she fails the roll you can save your HP and fall back on using a Power Stunt later if we need it.
Evelyn Gracen, in AEGIS Squad
Storyteller for In the Shadow of Imperator
Storyteller for Geneforge: the Created
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

also Fatigued is not a terrible condition to have. Movement speed is halved. I understand the Fatigued>Exhausted>Incapacitated track is scary, though.
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

You might consider having Zyzzak setup some sort of Teleport detector/trace in case they try to use that trick again.

Just saying...
Flynnarrel

Post by Flynnarrel »

Rules-wise, would you say that's an Awareness (Teleportation), Analytical (and whatever else for direction and distance and such)?
kenseido

Post by kenseido »

Well you wouldn't have enough to do anything like that.