D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Arkrite

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal
HP: 11/11

Ector rubs his chin slowly, and hums.

He certainly didn't have issues with the Delian order, but giving his oath to follow and obey yet another group was not something he took very lightly. His god believed in freedom, and giving any of that away was never something to be rushed into.

He already had obligations to his family, to his god, to his friends. He was a guiding hand for his family, the Fist of his order, and... well, it was left to be seen.

"Ector is knowing that Delian Order is good, and noble but, what is oath? To serve Law, battle chaos, and strive to keep the secrets of the Delian lore. Is all? Is very... open?" Ector asks, "Is deeper meaning, or is exactly what words are saying?"

"Be good, fight evil, protect friends."
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

The Ghost chuckles, a wispy gasping sound. "There is always some level of personal interpretation, especially now as there is no order hierarchy alive to set policy. You understand the broad strokes. Normally inductees are given a more in depth lessons about the Oath and the Order, but I will explain it as it was explained to me in my youth by Dame Flavia Delia, founder and first Grandmaster of the Order."

"To Serve Law: this does not merely mean obedience to a single set of rules set by a ruler, but to uphold and preserve the things that bind people in a society together. Justice, community, order. The building blocks of civilization that must be upheld.

To Battle Chaos: This means to stand up against the things in this world that would destroy or twist the works of Law. Do not let the Strong prey upon the Weak, combat injustice that would leech the life and strength of society, oppose forces of evil and destruction when they would bring all the world to ruin.

Finally the part of the Oath with a double meaning, 'strive to keep the secrets of the Delian Lore'. Knowledge is power, and like any other form of power if used improperly or selfishly it can cause great harm. The Delian Order has many hidden repositories of knowledge, some to ensure it is preserved and others to ensure it is contained. That this knowledge be handled with great care and caution is paramount. But the second meaning of this part of the Oath harkens back to something you already grasp, protecting those around you. As you keep the secrets of the Delian lore you keep the secrets of your fellows, uphold bonds of fellowship and prevent information that might harm your fellows from being let slip. By these things the Oath of the Delian Order joins its knights in the bonds of unity that they may be a force for good in dark times.
"
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal

"Hmm," Ector nods at the explanation, "Am thinking that Ector understands."

The oath was hardly a binding guideline, unlike some he'd heard. He suspected this order relied more on inviting only the most trustworthy of people, rather than relying on a set of rules to guide their every action.

"Is feeling a bit disingenuous, because Ector would probably follow oath even without oath... but is good oath, and Ector approves," He says with another firm nod of his head, "Ector..."

He pauses, coughs, then starts again, fist held over his heart, "I, Ector Blagettal, swear the Delian Oath. To serve Law, battle chaos, and strive to keep the secrets of the Delian lore."
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Evan Roadbound
HP: 8/10

None of these things violated any of the teachings Evan had accepted.

"All right. I, Evan Roadbound, swear to serve Law, battle chaos, and strive to keep the secrets of the Delian lore."
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Célestina (Tina)

"So worthy souls, will you accept?"

"I will," Tina says solemnly, before she can fully process the thought, even as the spectral knight explains the oath to Ector. Has she really just agreed to be inducted into a now-extinct order of long-dead knights? Conviction and hesitation struggle in her breast as she raises a fist before her chest and swears:

"I, Celestina d'Alienor, swear the Delian Oath."

The Delian Oath. At home, in Talestria, she was not even of sufficient status to be inducted by any of the truly great chivalric orders. The daughter of a minor house whose vigor was almost spent. Was she doing this for status, then? The opportunity to become a Delian Knight? To return in glory and perhaps ask the hand of that prince whom she has only ever glimpsed from afar?

"To serve Law..."

She thinks of the battlefield she has never seen, the one her parents died on. She imagines the massed ranks upon the sands of the Burning Waste. On one side stand the assembled forces of the Daeshiid Khalifat and their djinn masters, manifest as royal, fiery spirits hovering over the ranks of mameluks and archers. On the other stand row upon row of armored bannerets and men-at-arms, a hundred knightly orders gathered to drive back the tide of evil. Has she the courage to stand in the front line, among the Knights Exemplar, the eyes of the Goddess upon her, the spirits of the army hanging by a thread, and lead the charge?

"Battle chaos..."

Her eyes fall upon the sword and sheath in the spectral knight's hand. Is she doing this for power? For that glowing sword perhaps, a magical blade for her to slay with? Caches of secret lore scattered across the land? Artefacts of ancient power in vaults and tombs, hers for the taking?

No, she decides at last. For once in her life she lays aside the last of her doubts.

She swears this oath because unseen powers have placed her here, between a dragon and a helpless village in the woods, and she will not shirk her duty.

"...and strive to keep the secrets of the Delian lore."
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Sariel Amastacia

"Well, I was going to ask my godmother what she thought first, but I think it would be more fun to ask what she thinks afterward. Won't tell me your name, don't need your approval." Bending down on one knee, Sariel looked upon the ghostly knight before her, the most peaceful ghost she has ever encountered. "I, Sariel Amastacia, swear the Delian Oath. To serve law, battle chaos, and strive to keep the secrets of the Delian lore." At least how he explained law and what chaos was by the Delian Order's definition.
stavaros_the_arcane

As you each swear the Oath, the spirit of Sextus Varius floats towards you and places one of the pendants around your neck. As they settle into place you each feel a wave of acceptance and approval pass over you.

The ghost speaks again, but unlike the unearthly whisper he's used until now the voice is stronger, more akin to what it must have sounded like during life. "As a Grand Master of the Delian Order I bear witness to your Oaths and find you to be individuals of good standing and valiant character. I pronounce you Brothers and Sisters of the Delian Order."

You can practically see the satisfaction radiate off of the spectral knight as he holds out the sheathed sword to you. "Thank you for humoring the wishes of a long dead knight. Into your keeping I pass this sword and the legacy of the Delian Order. May they serve you well."

As soon as one of you takes the sword from him, Sextus Varius fades away into to the darkness of the tomb.

After a moment of silence, you hear Recette from the tomb entrance. "HOLY COW THAT WAS AMAZING!"
You didn't think it was possible for the girl to think more highly of you, but it seems like being knighted by ghosts will do that.
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Evan Roadbound

Evan had taken the sword, but now he was looking to hand it off.

"This one is too heavy for my techniques. I don't think this would suit Sariel's tactics. Ector or Tina then?"
Games
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Célestina (Tina)

Tina salutes the dead knight's spectral form a d holds it until it is entirely gone. Rest in peace, she thinks, adjusting the amulet about her throat and letting it drop down inside her armoured breastplate, so that it would not come undone in a scuffle.

She holds her hand out for the sword. "If none object, will take it. I'm sure sir Ector's swordsmanship is impeccable, but we need his divine magic just as much. I have more singular talents."

She smiles at Recette.

"You are not afraid of ghosts, young one?" She ruffles the girl's hair. "Let us quit this place then. We must return to the village and bring word to the Garrison as soon as possible."

Tina made sure to divide up the documents they found in the bugbear's chest among the four companions. That would ensure that even if some of them did not make it to the city alive, part of the documents would survive to provide the Garrison important clues as to the goblin tribes' plans. There was also the treasure, to be appraised, sold and divided up.

And before leaving she would cut free the goblin prisoner they left unconscious. He had been cooperative so far and Tina saw no particular reason to spare his life. However before she did so she issued him a stern warning. "Leave here and never return again. If you have sense you will abandon those of your kin who follow the Black One's banner. If you have not, then warn them that retribution is coming. The Delian Order will suffer not their sins." She holds her amulet in one fist and brandishes it before him. "And if I catch you at banditry again I will not be as merciful."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal

"Is okay, Ector is thinking sword is better for knight in shining armor," He nods, then notes, "But if we are finding magic cooking knife? Ector is thinking is Evan's."

Nodding again he makes a note to close the burial chamber behind them, and takes the time to drag the bodies from the building out into the forest. Not far, mind you, but at least outside of the building, humming a song to himself as he deals with the ugly work.
Finally he gathers his equipment, and the stuff set aside for him to carry back, and when the others are ready starts making his way through the forest back.

"So, you are having business?" He asks the two newest additions to the group, "Is local or you were traveling?"
stavaros_the_arcane

Ysariel wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:50 am Célestina (Tina)

Tina salutes the dead knight's spectral form a d holds it until it is entirely gone. Rest in peace, she thinks, adjusting the amulet about her throat and letting it drop down inside her armoured breastplate, so that it would not come undone in a scuffle.

She holds her hand out for the sword. "If none object, will take it. I'm sure sir Ector's swordsmanship is impeccable, but we need his divine magic just as much. I have more singular talents."
Arkrite wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:38 am Ector Blagettal

"Is okay, Ector is thinking sword is better for knight in shining armor," He nods, then notes, "But if we are finding magic cooking knife? Ector is thinking is Evan's."
As Celestina takes the sword Kharaghul, she finds it perfectly balanced. The cross-guard and hilt are functionally designed but covered in beautifully detailed etching. It feels slightly warm to the touch.

You know the sword is magical but not the exact nature of the enchantments upon it.

Ysariel wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:50 amAnd before leaving she would cut free the goblin prisoner they left unconscious. He had been cooperative so far and Tina saw no particular reason to spare his life. However before she did so she issued him a stern warning. "Leave here and never return again. If you have sense you will abandon those of your kin who follow the Black One's banner. If you have not, then warn them that retribution is coming. The Delian Order will suffer not their sins." She holds her amulet in one fist and brandishes it before him. "And if I catch you at banditry again I will not be as merciful."
Putz the Goblin grovels in terror. "Yes yes, I promise I promise. Thank you merciful knight lady." The second you aren't glaring at him he books it off into the undergrowth and vanishes from sight. You hear a small thump of him tripping before scrambling away again.
Ysariel wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 7:50 amShe smiles at Recette.

"You are not afraid of ghosts, young one?" She ruffles the girl's hair. "Let us quit this place then. We must return to the village and bring word to the Garrison as soon as possible."

Tina made sure to divide up the documents they found in the bugbear's chest among the four companions. That would ensure that even if some of them did not make it to the city alive, part of the documents would survive to provide the Garrison important clues as to the goblin tribes' plans. There was also the treasure, to be appraised, sold and divided up.
Recette shrugs. "Well I've seen lots of scary things today, most of them were nasty people planning to do bad things to me. THAT was a legendary ghost knight, the awe inspiringness counteracts the spookiness."
Arkrite wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 5:38 amNodding again he makes a note to close the burial chamber behind them, and takes the time to drag the bodies from the building out into the forest. Not far, mind you, but at least outside of the building, humming a song to himself as he deals with the ugly work.
Finally he gathers his equipment, and the stuff set aside for him to carry back, and when the others are ready starts making his way through the forest back.

"So, you are having business?" He asks the two newest additions to the group, "Is local or you were traveling?"
"Local." Tear replies, "The shop is run out Recette's family home in Hollowbrook."

"Yup, Tear helps me run things so I can pay off the loan from the bank." Recette adds.

Tear frowns at that. "Yes, Recette's father took out a sizable loan from the bank I represent to renovate the family home into a shop for adventuring gear and the like. He also used the house itself as collateral. Then he suddenly up and disappeared, and since he hasn't been located yet steps needed to be taken otherwise the Bank would have no choice but to repossess the house leaving Recette homeless. Thankfully my superiors also didn't think that throwing a child out on the street was the proper course of action."

Recette chimes in again. "So I run the store, Tear helps guide me through the ins and outs of managing a business, and the bank gets a cut of the profits until the loan is paid off. We came out here to see if we could find anything really special to add to the inventory since there are a bunch of old ruins all over the place...but then the goblins got us."

Tear crosses her arms and huffs. "I told you we shouldn't have done this on our own. And we are not doing this again any time soon."

------
OOC: you can roleplay more if you would like or I can jump cut you back to town. This adventure is essentially done.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal

Ector frowns, "Am understanding. If finding anything you are making lots of money. But is dangerous, if you find more than expecting."

He sighs, "But is hard, if you hire guards maybe is not worth doing adventure, is possible they steal from you."

"Is big risk, big reward, but remember, big risk is life,"
Ector says, "Am thinking Tear is having right idea. Is probably good idea to get somebody to go with you, or go for you. Maybe you get lucky, find good people to help."
Psistrike

Post by Psistrike »

Sariel Amastacia

"Right now I just want to get back, clean up, get something to eat and rest. This has been a long day, never thought I would almost die to a goblin shooting an arrow in my chest. Normally their aim sucks a lot more. Part of our investigation might want to check if they are getting training."
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Célestina (Tina)

Tina holds the sword in hand, strongly suspecting there is something unusual to the blade. For a moment she considers getting a magical expert to identify any enchantments... but then she might have to answer uncomfortable questions about how a novice adventurer - a knight-errant with no deeds to her name - came across such a blade. And could she trust what they told her, in any case? If Sariel could not do it, Tina decided she was content letting the sword's powers, if any, remain a mystery for now.

She turns to Recette. "We are bound by contract to accompany the caravan to Tychestoile, but I think Ector has the right of it. A trusted adventurer friend would be helpful." Come to think of it, that sounded like a modest if comfortable life - working as an adventuring partner for some girl in a village, helping her repay a father's debt...

A final nod, and she moves to leave. "We shouldn't linger in the open like this. Let's return to the village and get some much-needed rest."
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Evan Roadbound

"Yes. That would be a better place to hold further discussions."
Games