D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

For all of your Play-By-Post games.
Psistrike

Re: D&D5e The Golden Wheel Turns (IC thread)

Post by Psistrike »

Sariel Amastacia

"I for one won't pass up the chance to take down the leader of these creeps. Nearly sacrificing an innocent young maiden and also their archers tried to use us for target practice. One actually hit me in the chest, little creep. Besides, I have a Sidhe godmother and ignoring the rules of hospitality would enrage her. Last foolish elf from our clan who did that got turned into an oak tree by her, no thank you." Sariel just tacked on the part about her Sidhe godmother, testing to see if she was being watched closely even now. Her ears suddenly turning purple without her doing anything was all the answer she needed. "Love you too, godmother." The raspberry afterward wasn't needed, but it made Sariel feel better.
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Célestina (Tina)

"I trust to your wisdom," Tina says to Brother Calypso and Elder Abel. She nods meaningfully to the latter. She had been meaning to raise the question of the sword Kharaghul, given to her by Sextus Varus of the Delian Order, after the meeting. But it seems the blade has not escaped the elder's keen eye.

"I am grateful to accept recompense," she smiles broadly at Treasurer Franc's reassurance. Principles are important, but war cannot be fought with empty coffers. At least, if all's well that ends well, they will want for nothing on the remainder of their journey to Tychestoile.
The Village Headman nods. "I can't properly express how relieved I am that your willing to do this for us. Anything you feel you need to succeed we will do our best to provide you."
"Is there any way we could obtain healing potions? And wards against fire and acid? Wands, potions or scrolls perhaps?" Tina asks. "I do not mean to impose unduly on you. But I would take every reasonable precaution against a wyrm, even a juvenile one. We will pay for as much as we can afford." She is not familiar with the cost of such arcane protections beyond a vague notion that they cost a fortune.

"Ector, Sariel, Evans," she claps the sorceress on the shoulder and motions to the other two. "While we wait for Brother Calypso and Elder Abel to confer, do you think there is anything else we require? Beyond rations and water?"
EnigmaticOne

Post by EnigmaticOne »

Evan Roadbound

"My needs are little." Evan said. He glanced at the others. "You?"
Games
Imago in New Vindicators Academy of Europe
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal
HP: 17/17

Ector watches the interactions of Auld, Viglaf and Gfistflower with a blank curious expression, but wisely choosing to remain quiet.

He nodded politely as the others gave their speeches then watched Sariel's ears turn purple. And again he was happy his god, Slog, was not the sort to randomly do things to his followers.

Well, barring the events of holy celebration of SlogAleBeerFeast, and those were few and far between.
Ysariel wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:40 pm "We will pay for as much as we can afford." She is not familiar with the cost of such arcane protections beyond a vague notion that they cost a fortune.
Ector winces at Celestina's requests.

"Am afraid is not much that we can afford at the moment," Ector said, pulling out the bag of loot, "If we pool everything we got from goblin den? We have maybe 70 gold. Healing potion is maybe 50. Probably more, because supply? She is not so good. And when supply not good? Price, it goes up."

"Wands are a bit worse for price. Am thinking healing wand was hundred and fifty? Is long time ago and Ector not remember so well,"
he rubs his head, "And scrolls, well, slightly less than potions if remembering right, but can't be using without training, so maybe potion better? Any one can drink potion."

He digs around in his bag and pulls out the morning star the Bugbear had been using.

"We can be selling this. Also we should have two healing potions still," Ector says taking stock of what they have, "Maybe we can ask bosses for advance on pay for guarding wagons, but if we spend all of money and have none at end... well, is not good either."

He sighs, "Ector is thinking that is not much he can afford to buy, so will have to rely on own skill, and Slog's blessings."

Loot wrote:- 10 GP
- 50 SP
- holy symbol of Maglubiyet (worth 5gp)
- 2 azurite, 1 agate, and 1 malachite (each worth 10gp)
- Ornate ceremonial dagger he was waving around (worth 15gp)
- Small gold bracelet (worth 25gp)
stavaros_the_arcane

Post by stavaros_the_arcane »

Ysariel wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:40 pm Célestina (Tina)
"Is there any way we could obtain healing potions? And wards against fire and acid? Wands, potions or scrolls perhaps?" Tina asks. "I do not mean to impose unduly on you. But I would take every reasonable precaution against a wyrm, even a juvenile one. We will pay for as much as we can afford." She is not familiar with the cost of such arcane protections beyond a vague notion that they cost a fortune.

"Ector, Sariel, Evans," she claps the sorceress on the shoulder and motions to the other two. "While we wait for Brother Calypso and Elder Abel to confer, do you think there is anything else we require? Beyond rations and water?"
Arkrite wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:33 pm Ector Blagettal

Ector winces at Celestina's requests.

"Am afraid is not much that we can afford at the moment," Ector said, pulling out the bag of loot, "If we pool everything we got from goblin den? We have maybe 70 gold. Healing potion is maybe 50. Probably more, because supply? She is not so good. And when supply not good? Price, it goes up."

"Wands are a bit worse for price. Am thinking healing wand was hundred and fifty? Is long time ago and Ector not remember so well,"
he rubs his head, "And scrolls, well, slightly less than potions if remembering right, but can't be using without training, so maybe potion better? Any one can drink potion."

He digs around in his bag and pulls out the morning star the Bugbear had been using.

"We can be selling this. Also we should have two healing potions still," Ector says taking stock of what they have, "Maybe we can ask bosses for advance on pay for guarding wagons, but if we spend all of money and have none at end... well, is not good either."

He sighs, "Ector is thinking that is not much he can afford to buy, so will have to rely on own skill, and Slog's blessings."
Viglaf speaks up. "Unfortunately magical items are something that may be hard to come by in this village. Even if we wanted to give them to you free of charge, which would be taking a big financial loss, we simply don't have them. We aren't like the big trade cities where every need can be met for the right price, such things are not easily available and frankly there isn't much of a demand for them. My store can handle any need you have in regards to supplies and general goods but ironically the ones who can best meet your adventurer needs are probably Recette and Tear. Their shop tends to sell weapons, armor, and other specialty gear including the occasional magical trinket or potion. I'm pretty sure Recette keeps a stock of healing potions, so they can definitely help you on that front."

Brother Calycos adds. "The shrine can offer some healing services unfortunately nothing portable. The Local Druid Una, I believe you met her, does make magical potions and the like."

Kellen pipes up from his note taking. "Unfortunately Auntie Una isn't at her cottage at this time. I went to invite her to the meeting as well, she often turns down the invitations to the council meetings but we welcome it when she does come. She left a message with her plant creature and that nasty raccoon, that she'd be out dealing with some sort of druidic matters for several days. Which is terrible timing because I think we'd all appreciate having her around during this crisis."

Headman Underhill nodded, "We have limits to what we can do for you but we will try our best."

The meeting goes on for a little while longer before concluding.

-----
OOC: If you would like you can try to use a Charisma based skill to try and get an advance of part of the reward to spend on supplies from Franc the Treasurer.
-----

Brother Calycos and Elder Abel remain after the other members of the council file out of the room, marking directions onto a piece of parchment.

Elder Abel waves you over, "I think we've got it. They aren't prefect directions but it should get you close enough to find signs of the goblins and their lair."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal

"Ah, good, good," Ector nods at the information, "Now maybe we not stumble around in forest for days."

He gives everybody a toothy smiles, then nods to himself, "Maybe Ector will go see Recette and Tear. Probably nothing we can afford to use that they sell, but..."

He shrugs.

"Also give chance to see if they can sell this morning star. Is heavy and pokey, and Ector finds it terribly uncomfortable."
stavaros_the_arcane

Arkrite wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:30 pm Ector Blagettal

"Ah, good, good," Ector nods at the information, "Now maybe we not stumble around in forest for days."

He gives everybody a toothy smiles, then nods to himself, "Maybe Ector will go see Recette and Tear. Probably nothing we can afford to use that they sell, but..."

He shrugs.

"Also give chance to see if they can sell this morning star. Is heavy and pokey, and Ector finds it terribly uncomfortable."
The elder and the priest give small chuckles.

Brother Calycos replies. "Indeed, tis a ghastly thing. Its been a quite some time since I've been in a fight but the common wisdom where I'm from is that a weapon should either excel at smashing or stabbing, not trying to do both. Then again I've found plenty of things that have brought some of the old tribal wisdom into question since I left. What is wise in the march may not be wise in the desert."

Elder Abel gestures for Celestina to come closer. "May I have a look at your new acquisition child? I'm something of an expert on such relics and I believe that blade may be very useful to your quest to save our village."
Ysariel

Post by Ysariel »

Célestina (Tina)

Tina nods at the elders' frank description of their limited resources. Well, perhaps if the villagers had magic of that power, they wouldn't be in such desperate need of aid in the first place. They will have to rely on steel and courage to prevail where sorcery is unavailable. So be it, she thinks.

"I thank you once again for your aid, elders," she says, and salutes in the formal Talestrian style, left fist clenched over her heart. "I understand your circumstances, and am deeply grateful for the help and counsel you have already provided. We will consult with Recette and Tear before we set out."

She listens on until the meeting concludes and Elder Abel motions her over.

Tina presents the sword to him with both hands. Should she tell the truth behind how she got the blade? Well, perhaps it does not hurt to tell one person. Elder Abel was unlikely to invite a horde of treasure-seekers to plunder the countryside for lost Delian relics with careless rumors. "I was given this by a specter of the Delian League," she explains. "I swore an oath, and..."

Briefly she describes her encounter with Sextus Varus.

"The others did not seem as inclined to swordplay, save Ector whose magic we will sorely need, so I took it," she concludes, "though I do not believe I have any special merit to wield it."

Somehow Tina feels the need to explain how she has not appropriated the sword, seized it for personal glory. And yet, is that not why she has come so far? To roll the dice at the Wheel of Fortune, make a name for the house of Alienor, return in glory to be received by the prince of her dreams? She looks down at the sword, and realizes why. This was given, not earned. And she wonders how she will compare to the last hands who wielded it.
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal

"Pah, merit," Ector scoffs, "Swords not require merit. Swords not judge or bestow worth. All swords do is grant power."

He raises a finger as if to emphasis his next point, "Is how power is used that defines person's worth."

"And who here is worthy? Is maybe knight who goes to face powerful deadly foe to save innocent lives of town at risk of own life?"
Ector nods sagely then gently pats Celestina on the shoulder with a smile, "Ector is thinking is so."
stavaros_the_arcane

Ysariel wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:10 pm Célestina (Tina)

She listens on until the meeting concludes and Elder Abel motions her over.

Tina presents the sword to him with both hands. Should she tell the truth behind how she got the blade? Well, perhaps it does not hurt to tell one person. Elder Abel was unlikely to invite a horde of treasure-seekers to plunder the countryside for lost Delian relics with careless rumors. "I was given this by a specter of the Delian League," she explains. "I swore an oath, and..."

Briefly she describes her encounter with Sextus Varus.
Elder Abel listens closely as Celestina relates the events of the tomb. "Remarkable. Simply remarkable."
The Elder studies the sword carefully, briefly drawing it partly out of its scabbard to examine the blade. Him murmurs a short chant and his eyes glow briefly.

Once he is finished studying the sword he returns it to its sheath. "Even if your story had not already confirmed it, I can indeed say that this is Kharaghul, Fabled blade wielded by the champions of the Delian Order. It is enchanted of course, making it stronger and more powerful than an average blade as well as some more specialized properties. The one most relevant to your current quest is that its a sword forged to fight dragons, against a draconic foe it will cut deeper and strike harder. Its dragon-slaying nature gives it some other minor magical effects; dragons and beings of draconic lineage may react with either fear or hostility in its presence, the sword in turn grows warm when its designated prey are near."

OOC: Item description for Kharaghul
Longsword +1 (+1 to attack and damage rolls with this weapon), Drake Foe (When you hit a dragon with this weapon, the dragon takes an extra 1d6 damage of the weapon's type. For the purpose of this weapon, "dragon" refers to any creature with the dragon type, including dragon turtles and wyverns.)
Extra:
Enemy of Dragonkind: Dragons and beings of draconic origin (Dragonborn, Kobolds, etc) may recognize Kharaghul and/or become unnerved or hostile
Foe Sense (Dragons): Grows slightly warm when within 120 feet of Dragons.
Ysariel wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:10 pm"The others did not seem as inclined to swordplay, save Ector whose magic we will sorely need, so I took it," she concludes, "though I do not believe I have any special merit to wield it."

Somehow Tina feels the need to explain how she has not appropriated the sword, seized it for personal glory. And yet, is that not why she has come so far? To roll the dice at the Wheel of Fortune, make a name for the house of Alienor, return in glory to be received by the prince of her dreams? She looks down at the sword, and realizes why. This was given, not earned. And she wonders how she will compare to the last hands who wielded it.
Arkrite wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:02 pm Ector Blagettal

"Pah, merit," Ector scoffs, "Swords not require merit. Swords not judge or bestow worth. All swords do is grant power."

He raises a finger as if to emphasis his next point, "Is how power is used that defines person's worth."

"And who here is worthy? Is maybe knight who goes to face powerful deadly foe to save innocent lives of town at risk of own life?"
Ector nods sagely then gently pats Celestina on the shoulder with a smile, "Ector is thinking is so."
"Listen to your friend young knight, he speaks wisdom. A powerful sword Kharaghul may be, but in the end it is still merely a weapon. The actions of the one that wields it are what is important." Elder Abel says. "I am sure that many previous bearers of that blade also questioned their worth upon first receiving it. I am sure in time you prove to the world and to yourself that you are fit to carry Kharaghul."

He pauses and strokes his beard as though he is trying hard to remember something. "The Delian Order was very secretive but scholars have been able to learn some things about them, beyond their exploits and historical deeds of course. If I recall correctly, when a Champion was entrusted with Kharaghul they were said to go on a pilgrimage to certain holdings of the Order. Kharaghul is a very old and powerful magic weapon, but much of its power is dormant until a wielder fulfills certain requirements, although what those would be I couldn't say. When all this business with the Howling Horde is sorted and we're all safe again, I can write you a letter of introduction for some old colleagues of mine at the University at Tychestoile. They may be able to help you learn more should you desire it."
stavaros_the_arcane

OOC: Okay I'm going to try and end this hiatus and get the game rolling again. Despite all the real world shenanigans that are still going on. Now is as good a time as any.

Armed with the directions and information from Brother Calycos and Elder Abel, you exit the village hall to begin your preparations to seek out the Goblin lair. Recette's shop is still your best bet for most of the things you might need.

You reach the market area of the town, and easily pick out Recette and Tear's store from among the many shops considering its name after the two of them. Recettear: Fine Adventuring Goods is probably the best place to sell off your loot from your last foray against the goblins and the best place to pick up any gear you need for your next one.

As you enter the shop you hear the familiar voice of Recette call out in greeting. "Hello and welcome to Recettear... Oh my gosh its you guys!"

The little girl quickly rushes out from behind the shop counter towards you. A good night's sleep, a bath, and a fresh change of clothes have done wonders for her since the last time you saw her. "Come in, come in! How can I help my heroes with today?"
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal

"Ah, hello little one," Ector says, his scarred face twisting into a (unintentionally) terrifying smile, "Am happy to be seeing you are well."

He lowers his bulk, taking a knee so he isn't towering over the poor girl, "Ector and his friends are going on grand adventure, but can't be carrying all this bulky stuff. So we are thinking maybe we see our friends, maybe do a little selling, maybe do a little shopping."

"How is Recette and Tear?"
He asks.
stavaros_the_arcane

Arkrite wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:30 am Ector Blagettal

"Ah, hello little one," Ector says, his scarred face twisting into a (unintentionally) terrifying smile, "Am happy to be seeing you are well."

He lowers his bulk, taking a knee so he isn't towering over the poor girl, "Ector and his friends are going on grand adventure, but can't be carrying all this bulky stuff. So we are thinking maybe we see our friends, maybe do a little selling, maybe do a little shopping."

"How is Recette and Tear?"
He asks.
Despite Ector's intimidating appearance Recette is unbothered, smiling back at the Half-orc. "Tear and I are doing just fine. It seems like everyone in town has dropped by to either fret over us or scold us for going out there."

Recette's smile turns into a pout. "Some folks even decided we needed someone watching over us at all times." She gestures towards the counter where a woman in a short brown dress is chatting with Tear.

The woman turns to smirk at Recette, giving you all a better look at her. Pointed elven ears poke out of neck length blonde hair, as Amber eyes regard your group. She speaks to Recette, clearly amused at the girls annoyance. "Look both my Dad and the Boss both decided that someone should be keeping an eye on you two right now. Be glad they decided that me and the other girls would take turns on protection duty instead of one of the regulars. The Boss even lent me one of her old axes, I guess being her niece pays off now and then." The woman reaches down, grabs and hefts a large battle-axe from where it was leaning against the counter. Ector you recognize the weapon as clearly being orc-made. "But where are my manners. My name is Lynn MacDonnel, I believe you've met my father."

Recette gives an exasperated sigh. "So yes, that's our babysitter. Anyways... back to business. We at Recetter would be happy to buy any items you wish to sell off, we'll make sure to give you a good price for them. Please check through our stock for anything of interest or feel free to ask if you have something specific you are looking for."
Arkrite

Post by Arkrite »

Ector Blagettal

Ector's eyes linger on Lynn just a hair to long, and he shakes his head to clear the cobwebs the sight of the lovely lady left behind. He nodded to Recette and then forced his bulk back onto his feet.

"Is pleasure to be meeting you," He says placing his right fist against his heart and giving Lynn a small bow, "Am Ector Blagettal."

He pauses to let the others say their introductions and reminds himself not to stare at the pretty lady.
Moving over to the counter he lays a handkerchief down then places the items they had looted from the goblins.

A holy symbol of Maglubiyet, 2 azurite, 1 agate, and 1 malachite gems, an ornate ceremonial dagger and a small gold bracelet. Then he digs the mace the bugbear had been using out of his bag and sets it on the counter as well.

"Is not much, but is better than nothing. We were hoping maybe Recette sells potions or weapons for us to look at?" Ector pauses, "Am not able to promise that we are being big spenders, but we will try, yes?"

He smiles.
stavaros_the_arcane

Arkrite wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:21 pm Ector Blagettal

Ector's eyes linger on Lynn just a hair to long, and he shakes his head to clear the cobwebs the sight of the lovely lady left behind. He nodded to Recette and then forced his bulk back onto his feet.

"Is pleasure to be meeting you," He says placing his right fist against his heart and giving Lynn a small bow, "Am Ector Blagettal."
"Oh my, so polite." Lynn says give a coy smile and a little curtsy in response. Then in Orcish she says "<The Pleasure is belonging all to me.>"

She gives the entire party a glance over as if trying to come to a judgement about each of you, but she seems to give Ector extra attention. "I've been hearing a lot about all of you over the last few days. You're the talk of the village after saving our most adorable merchant duo."

Recette pouts at the comment, while Tear clears her throat to maintain her professional appearance.
Arkrite wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:21 pm He pauses to let the others say their introductions and reminds himself not to stare at the pretty lady.
Moving over to the counter he lays a handkerchief down then places the items they had looted from the goblins.

A holy symbol of Maglubiyet, 2 azurite, 1 agate, and 1 malachite gems, an ornate ceremonial dagger and a small gold bracelet. Then he digs the mace the bugbear had been using out of his bag and sets it on the counter as well.

"Is not much, but is better than nothing. We were hoping maybe Recette sells potions or weapons for us to look at?" Ector pauses, "Am not able to promise that we are being big spenders, but we will try, yes?"

He smiles.
Recette looks over the little pile of loot muttering numbers under her breath as she calculates the value, shivering slightly as her eyes go over the ceremonial dagger. "I think we can get some decent resale value out this. I'll give you one hundred gold for the lot."

"As for weapons and potions, if you'll direct your attention to our weapon section you're bound to find something to meet your needs. All non-magical I'm afraid but still top quality. We also have a selection of potions and a few minor magical items in stock upon request."

OOC: Items from the Weapons table and the Adventuring Gear table (page 149-150 of the PHB) are available for purchase.
In addition you can buy some common magic potions for 50gp each (Options are Potion of Healing, Potion of Climbing, and Potion of Comprehension) and some common magic items (I'll determine whats available and their price if you are interested).