I need help evaluating a crazy idea

Where DMs can leave their notes, or ask other DMs for help with their game.
nowhereman2

I need help evaluating a crazy idea

Post by nowhereman2 »

I am thinking about running a game. The idea is a bit out there though. The players are neighbors in an upper-middle class neighborhood. There has been some recent weird behavior in the neighborhood and one of the people in the neighborhood has decided to start a neighborhood watch to police the area. The players are PL6 except for some number of players who are secretly PL10 supervillains. Each player would have one or two character sheets (one if they are regular citizens, two if they are villains). Each player would have some secret they want to keep from their neighbors (secret debts, memberships to secret societies, etc...). This means that the players would spend a large amount of time trying to find out each other's secrets while keeping their own. Meanwhile a supervillain or two would be trying to perform some nefarious action. My question is, can this be run in PBP? What are some obvious problems with this idea? Is this a good idea?
Fox in the Hole: GM
A Call to Adventure: Arcanum
Changeling - The Dreaming: Socket
Her Majesty's other secret service: Elizabeth Carolynn Erin Renwald
FuzzyBoots

Re: I need help evaluating a crazy idea

Post by FuzzyBoots »

I suspect your biggest problem will be how slow conversations tend to be in PbP.
Spectrum

Post by Spectrum »

Interesting idea. What are your thoughts on how to handle the high level of private play? At the same time, as a reader, I would be curious about the story as a whole rather than just the iceberg tip that everyone knows about.
We rise from the ashes so that new legends can be born.
nowhereman2

Post by nowhereman2 »

The only way I can think of handling the private play is by using DM to the players themselves. Not impossible, but it would require a bit more dedication than the average player. As for the whole story... I am not sure how to do that without having a dedicated thread for all play and just trusting that the players will not read it.
nowhereman2

Post by nowhereman2 »

Apparently there is this thing called Discord. I am joking. I already knew about it; I just didn't think about it. I could probably do the private play on there. Players could even opt to talk to each other on their own as long as I was added to the conversation.
FuzzyBoots

Post by FuzzyBoots »

This send like the sort of thing where Fiasco would make sense to establish relationships.