Advice on my campaign

Where DMs can leave their notes, or ask other DMs for help with their game.
Cinder

Advice on my campaign

Post by Cinder »

I have been running a Second Edition Mutants and Mastermind Campaign since 2008, which will be wrapping up this year. It is a teenage campaign. In it my characters are PL nine. I have this adventure where they are going to be captured by an extra-dimensional being who give them their perfect futures. They will figure it out and escape. I want advice on an issue with which I have been wrestling. It would make sense for them to be PL 11-12 in the future. However, this will be the penultimate session and they will have to go back to their regular PL 9 after. If a GM did this to you, would you feel cheated by having to go back to a "weaker" version of your character for the final adventure?

I was thinking that I would allow them to "level up" to ten for the last session, but that would still less than what they were in their future versions. Thoughts?
FuzzyBoots

Re: Advice on my campaign

Post by FuzzyBoots »

I've temporarily powered up characters several times. What I've typically seen is less the "we want to stay higher PL" and more "I want to change my points/power allocation to be able to use this power I had". And a grant of a few points does kind of make sense because they've gained in experience.
MacynSnow

Post by MacynSnow »

Depends on your group and campaign world really. Remember that your showing them their 'Perfect' futures. Once they realize that it's just a fake, be prepared for your villian to be royally beaten on(go watch that JL animated episode "For the man who has everything" to see what i mean). The player's won't be upset(it's a nice twist on the old 'get what you wish for' trope), in fact it'll be just the opposite.

If your planning on still using the World, then when you switch over to 3e have 'em make PL 10 version's of their heroes(having 'Graduated' years later).

But i'm not your parents, you be you....
Poodle

Post by Poodle »

Seems more like a treat to me. I wouldn't be upset about going back to my old PL anyway.
Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world. -Albert Einstein.